• 10,354,879 Posts
• 409,693 Topics
• 23,417 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mike Conley, Jr Reps Hogs Hard Despite Buckeyes Past  (Read 1173 times)

edemire

• Varsity
  • Author endorsed by Ronnie Brewer, Ken Hatfield
    • African-American Athletes in Arkansas: Muhammad Ali's Tour, Black Razorbacks & Other Forgotten Stories
Mike Conley, Jr Reps Hogs Hard Despite Buckeyes Past
« on: June 21, 2019, 11:43:06 am »

Conleyís 12-year run as the greatest guard in Grizzles history has come to an end. As he helps turn Utah into an NBA Finals contender, he also helps the Razorbacks brand nationwide.

http://www.bestofarkansassports.com/mike-conley-jr-reps-razorbacks-hard-despite-buckeyes-past/

Also, if you're making an all-time NBA Arkansan team, there two or three can't misses in Scottie Pippen, Sidney Moncrief and Joe Johnson.

However, who would be the starting point guard?

Has Mike Conley already claimed that spot from the likes of Derek Fisher and Fat Lever?

Some all-time NBA Arkansan rankings:

1. Joe Johnson   20,405
2. Scottie Pippen   18,940
3. Glen Rice   18,336
4. Joe Barry Carroll   12,455
5. Sidney Moncrief   11,931
6. Archie Clark   11,819
7. Paul Silas   11,782
8. Mike Conley   11,733
9. Derek Fisher   10,713
10. Fat Lever   10,433
Assuming Mike Conley plays 70 games next season, he should move up to fourth place on this list by the end of the campaign. This was calculated by using his career average of 14.9 PPG; a very conservative estimate considering he averaged 21.1 PPG last season.

Three-pointers made

1. Joe Johnson   1,978
2. Glen Rice   1,559
3. Derek Fisher   1,248
4. Mike Conley   1,086
5. Scottie Pippen   978
Assists

1. Scottie Pippen   6,135
2. Joe Johnson   5,001
3. Fat Lever   4,696
4. Mike Conley   4,509
5. Derek Fisher   3,809
This is the category where he really shines. At only 31 years of age, it is very possible that Conley will sit atop this list when all is said and done.

Steals

1. Scottie Pippen   2,307
2. Fat Lever   1,666
3. Derek Fisher   1,352
4. Mike Conley   1,161
5. Joe Johnson   1,071

More here:

http://www.bestofarkansassports.com/mike-conley-jr-reps-razorbacks-hard-despite-buckeyes-past/
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 03:44:12 pm by edemire »

edemire

• Varsity
    • African-American Athletes in Arkansas: Muhammad Ali's Tour, Black Razorbacks & Other Forgotten Stories
Re: Mike Conley, Jr = greatest NBA Arkansan point guard?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 11:45:05 am »

BTW, if you're looking at the most impressive career on the pro level (including international), Marcus Brown makes a very strong argument.

Here's a piece I wrote a few years ago:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/6795130/marcus-brown-all-time-leading-euroleague-scorer

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Adam Stokes

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 01:50:27 pm »

If Conley were to end his career today, I'd still say Derek Fischer was greater due to fairly comparable stats but more rings. Conley should pass him in enough categories in the next year or two to change my mind.

Cotton

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Formerly of ESPN 8 "The Ocho"
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 02:15:23 pm »

Question: How long did MCJr live in Arkansas? I see he was born in Fayetteville but grew up in Indiana.

edemire

• Varsity
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 09:44:13 pm »

Question: How long did MCJr live in Arkansas? I see he was born in Fayetteville but grew up in Indiana.

I forget exactly when he moved. I think somewhere in the 6th grade/12ish age range?

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 10:01:31 pm »

For PGs, its Conley and not close.

Derek Fisher is one of the more overrated players in the last 3 decades.  Serviceable, but nothing special.

husker71

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 10:20:05 pm »

Conley replaces the real overrated Rubio.  June 25  2009 a dark day for the Timberwolves when they used the 5th pick on Rubio and 6th pick on Johnny Flynn

Rudy Baylor

• Losing is not okay
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 10:32:59 pm »

screw the NBA

Willie Cutts

hawkhawg

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 11:47:22 pm »

I would take Conley over Fisher.  Pippin would probably be the best Point guard if he played Point Guard.

hawgmasta

• I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 11:14:46 am »

I forget exactly when he moved. I think somewhere in the 6th grade/12ish age range?

Iím not exactly sure, but I know on his social media he often still mentions it being his ďhomeĒ so I would have to think your right, probably 12-13ish when he left.

pignparadise

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 01:46:05 pm »

You are missing the great Caldwell Jones.
10685 rebounds compared to Pippen 7494 and Joe Barry Carroll 5404 rebounds. He is also in top 15 of NBA ABA blocked shots at 2297 In his rookie year, he averaged 4 blocks per game in 79 games. Shaq's best year was 3.5 blocks per game
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 01:56:50 pm by pignparadise »

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
  • Formerly posting as Snout Says
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 01:58:50 pm »

Conley moved to Indy after 7th grade when his dad got a job with USA track and field.

Conley Sr pretty much started the Hawks program with Jr's age group in elementary and it grew from there.

Also, Conley(not Ingram) was the thrust behind the original Real Deal on the Hill.  The first year(2005) or two had talent and organization that couldn't be topped.  His connections and bringing his Oden/Jr tandem set the slate. Then he left and it turned into a money grab.  Eventually, NWA schools refused to let their facilities be used for FREE and it shifted to LR.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 02:25:36 pm by Porked Tongue »

TomasPistola

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Giant Bobby Portis is tired of your crap.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 05:31:20 pm »

Derek Fisher is one of the more overrated players in the last 3 decades.  Serviceable, but nothing special.

Total agreement. Fisher played on great teams. Conley is a great player.

LRrazorback

• Senior
Good Mike Conley story on being from Fíville, also...Glenn Rice?
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 08:32:30 am »

Ok, about midway down the article it lists nba Arkansans and stats. Iíve been here 40 years and never knew Glenn Rice or Fat Lever was from AR. Iím sure someone knows their tie to AR?

edemire

• Varsity
Re: Good Mike Conley story on being from Fíville, also...Glenn Rice?
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 08:50:44 am »

Ok, about midway down the article it lists nba Arkansans and stats. Iíve been here 40 years and never knew Glenn Rice or Fat Lever was from AR. Iím sure someone knows their tie to AR?

Yeah, Glen Rice was born in Jacksonville and grew up in Benton. Like Conley moved up to the midwest (in his case, Michigan) at the start of adolescence. Here's a Tweet of him getting the key to the city of Benton:

http://www.bestofarkansassports.com/coming-soon/

Fat, too, left Pine Bluff around the same age...

Born and raised in Pine Bluff, AR, Lafayette Lever, his mother and two brothers left home to start anew thousands of miles away in Tucson, AZ. His mother and oldest brother Anthony made the move initially before Lafayette and younger brother Elmore followed. Work was hard to come by in Pine Bluff in the early í70s, so a change of venue was necessary. Lever, a quiet kid, was 11 when he first laid eyes on the desert, and he took his time adjusting, even then the patient playmaker. Basketball came naturally to the young man nicknamed ďFatĒ due to his younger brotherís inability as a baby to pronounce his given name of Lafayette.

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/fat-lever-my-name-holds-weight/

HUNGLOWHOG

• Senior
  • "JUST WANNA PIECE OF THA GLORY"
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 09:13:56 am »

Can not believe Stan Heath could not take the time to recruit Conley personally , also Greg Oden at the time was the 1 recruit Conley's buddy . As Charles Barkley would say Tuurrible !!!

TrueBlue

• "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 10:34:31 am »

Can not believe Stan Heath could not take the time to recruit Conley personally , also Greg Oden at the time was the 1 recruit Conley's buddy . As Charles Barkley would say Tuurrible !!!

Just think if Nolan would have stayed on as coach, it is pretty common knowledge that we would have had Conley, Oden, and Igoudala wear a Hog uniform among some other big names. (not at the same time, but still.)

After a few years of not getting top talent, it seemed like Nolan was getting his second wind in recruiting before he left.   

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 10:47:26 am »

Best part of this article (it's great) is Daddy Conley going Jordan, the shortest human to dunk beyond the free throw line with his off hand (at the time, maybe replicated since) in a dunk contest.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 11:00:43 am by Pig in the Pokey »

TrueBlue

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 10:50:21 am »

Ask some players that played with Fish who they think is the best PG between the two and it wonít be close.

Saying Fisher is nothing special is a crazy viewpoint. He was a coach on the floor and kept the peace between Koby and Shaq where they were able to win those titles.

You must have a bias against UALR players. Must be a Little Rock vs. NWA argument again....

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 10:52:42 am »

Joe Barry Carroll, either, a #1 overall pick.

Didnt realize how many assists (and steals, my God) Pippen had, either- thats crazy.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 11:01:38 am »

He gets them dudes plus Olu and Ronnie and we'd have been ridiculous.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2019, 11:42:56 am »

Didnt realize how many assists (and steals, my God) Pippen had, either- thats crazy.

Moved to Denver

LRrazorback

• Senior
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2019, 01:33:10 pm »

Yeah, Glen Rice was born in Jacksonville and grew up in Benton. Like Conley moved up to the midwest (in his case, Michigan) at the start of adolescence. Here's a Tweet of him getting the key to the city of Benton:

http://www.bestofarkansassports.com/coming-soon/

Fat, too, left Pine Bluff around the same age...

Born and raised in Pine Bluff, AR, Lafayette Lever, his mother and two brothers left home to start anew thousands of miles away in Tucson, AZ. His mother and oldest brother Anthony made the move initially before Lafayette and younger brother Elmore followed. Work was hard to come by in Pine Bluff in the early í70s, so a change of venue was necessary. Lever, a quiet kid, was 11 when he first laid eyes on the desert, and he took his time adjusting, even then the patient playmaker. Basketball came naturally to the young man nicknamed ďFatĒ due to his younger brotherís inability as a baby to pronounce his given name of Lafayette.

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/fat-lever-my-name-holds-weight/

Never knew that about them. Great info, thanks.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2019, 03:48:11 pm »

Ask some players that played with Fish who they think is the best PG between the two and it wonít be close.

Saying Fisher is nothing special is a crazy viewpoint. He was a coach on the floor and kept the peace between Koby and Shaq where they were able to win those titles.

You must have a bias against UALR players. Must be a Little Rock vs. NWA argument again....

They'd laugh at you and say Conley may be the better player, but that Fish was a great teammate.

Fish is powerfully overrated.   

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2019, 05:46:34 pm »

Total agreement. Fisher played on great teams. Conley is a great player.

Agreed.  When players are all assembled together on a great team and one of them happens to have great numbers, (ex. Emmitt Smith over Barry Sanders) it's not because Smith was the greatest RB ever in the NFL, it's because at the time he had one of the best Oline's ever to run behind while Barry Sanders hardly ever had a line to run behind period.  Conley is miles ahead of Fisher, he's just never had HOF talent surrounding him like Fisher did.

edemire

• Varsity
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2019, 09:20:29 pm »

Agreed.  When players are all assembled together on a great team and one of them happens to have great numbers, (ex. Emmitt Smith over Barry Sanders) it's not because Smith was the greatest RB ever in the NFL, it's because at the time he had one of the best Oline's ever to run behind while Barry Sanders hardly ever had a line to run behind period.  Conley is miles ahead of Fisher, he's just never had HOF talent surrounding him like Fisher did.

I agree that Fish had way more HOF talent surrounding him, but I think both Pau and Marc Gasol will eventually be HOF'ers. Pau's already made his strong case and Marc's just got stronger with this Toronto title. But what puts them over the top is their international accomplishments.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
Re: Mike Conley, Jr Reps Hogs Hard Despite Buckeyes Past
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2019, 05:08:03 am »

I agree that Fish had way more HOF talent surrounding him, but I think both Pau and Marc Gasol will eventually be HOF'ers. Pau's already made his strong case and Marc's just got stronger with this Toronto title. But what puts them over the top is their international accomplishments.

I'm not sure on the fact of international players accomplishments being considered for the HOF.  I thought it was just their time played in the NBA, but someone else will have to verify that.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2019, 08:14:51 am »

I'm not sure on the fact of international players accomplishments being considered for the HOF.  I thought it was just their time played in the NBA, but someone else will have to verify that.

THere is no NBA Hall of Fame.  There is no Pro Basketball Hall of Fame.  There is only the Basketball Hall of Fame-- and Fish isn't anywhere close to getting in there, whereas Conley has a decent shot.

TrueBlue

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2019, 09:33:25 am »

They'd laugh at you and say Conley may be the better player, but that Fish was a great teammate.

Speaking of overrated............lol

kingofdequeen

• Gold Hogvillian
  • CJK5H
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2019, 10:21:00 am »

If Conley were to end his career today, I'd still say Derek Fischer was greater due to fairly comparable stats but more rings. Conley should pass him in enough categories in the next year or two to change my mind.

just a god awful sports take.

kingofdequeen

• Gold Hogvillian
  • CJK5H
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2019, 10:22:17 am »

Nolan getting shitcanned cost us Mike Conley and Greg Odom and Jared Sullinger and chris jeffries and andre iguodala.   better than any player weve had since.   gross to think about.  iggy couldve carried the program for NR until Conley and Odom arrived.   

plus, mike and steve conley razorback all-timers.   Mike Jr gets to wear whatever hog crap he wants to.

kingofdequeen

• Gold Hogvillian
  • CJK5H
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2019, 10:25:49 am »

depends if he's banging your wife on the side or not.

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
  • Formerly posting as Snout Says
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2019, 10:42:06 am »

I just dont get the infatuation with DF. 

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2019, 11:44:40 am »

depends if he's banging your wife on the side or not.

He doesn't do that to teammates; he does that to his players.    He has a strict policy of only dating ex-wives among his teammates.

hawgmasta

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2019, 02:12:45 pm »

Pippen is still criminally underrated after all these years. Of course Jordan is Jordan, but itís definitely comparable to Curry/Thompson type thing. One gets most of the attention and is demonstrably better with increased exposure; but without Pippen/Thompson it ainít going down the way it did.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2019, 02:47:25 pm »

Mike's brother is a Razorback as well:

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/jon-conley/

Adam Stokes

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2019, 09:43:34 am »

just a god awful sports take.

Conley is obviously the better player. Conley has performed better in the years he's been in the league. But his career only spans 12 years to Fisher's 18. Fisher has accomplished more over his career, full stop. If Conley never played another game, more people would remember Fisher in 10 years than Conley. I think he'll do good things with my Jazz if he can stay healthy.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2019, 10:47:21 am »

https://www.al.com/sports/2019/06/collin-sexton-finishes-fifth-in-nba-rookie-of-the-year-vote.html

Conley, Jr. took NBA awards for sportsmanship and Twyman-Stokes Teammate.

farfromgroovins

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2019, 11:18:19 pm »

I just dont get the infatuation with DF.

Role of the PG has changed.  Dennis Johnson with Bird's Celtics never got much hype as "one of the best players" but was considered a good PG because of the role he played.  Everyone wants a 20ppg point now.  Fisher wasn't that but played the PG role well knowing who was scoring options 1a & 1b were.

Hogwop

• You've raised my frosty dander!
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2019, 11:50:09 pm »

Pippen is still criminally underrated after all these years. Of course Jordan is Jordan, but itís definitely comparable to Curry/Thompson type thing. One gets most of the attention and is demonstrably better with increased exposure; but without Pippen/Thompson it ainít going down the way it did.

Pippen may underrated a bit but he was named one of the 50 greatest players of all time

farfromgroovins

• Varsity
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2019, 11:41:51 am »

Pippen may underrated a bit but he was named one of the 50 greatest players of all time

"Criminally underrated" and named one of the 50.......
Does that mean he should be in the discussion for GOAT?

I remember being in junior high and classmates telling me "you got to go watch this guy at UCA."
I went to at least 3 of the games but didn't realize what I was witnessing.  Being only 13 or 14 years old, I knew he was "good" but didn't realize what my older brother was telling me in that he was "next level good."

hogfan98

• Hogvillian
  • Agree to Disagree
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2019, 04:30:23 pm »

Nolan getting shitcanned cost us Mike Conley and Greg Odom and Jared Sullinger and chris jeffries and andre iguodala.   better than any player weve had since.   gross to think about.  iggy couldve carried the program for NR until Conley and Odom arrived.   

plus, mike and steve conley razorback all-timers.   Mike Jr gets to wear whatever hog crap he wants to.

Jefferies transferred out after his Freshman year ('98-99) because he hated Fayetteville and wanted to go back to Fresno.  Nolan coached for 3 more years after that.  Now losing Sullinger and Iguodala was 100% tied to Nolan getting fired. 

The long standing rumor is that Conley would have been Arkansas bound if Nolan were still here and would've brought Oden with him but I don't know if that's ever been confirmed by anyone.  He was 14 when Nolan got fired so I think it's hard to speculate what his college intentions were then.  But I'm sure we would've been in the mix.

hawgmasta

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2019, 06:20:13 pm »

"Criminally underrated" and named one of the 50.......
Does that mean he should be in the discussion for GOAT?

I remember being in junior high and classmates telling me "you got to go watch this guy at UCA."
I went to at least 3 of the games but didn't realize what I was witnessing.  Being only 13 or 14 years old, I knew he was "good" but didn't realize what my older brother was telling me in that he was "next level good."

I may be in the minority but yes, I think heís top 20-25 all time. Pippen could literally guard anyone; and in todayís NBA I could see him being an unstoppable D&3 guy who could slash and drive all day as well.

Maybe criminally underrated was a tad dramatic but cmon man this is hogville. I just feel like whenever people compare how little Jordan had to work with compared to LeBron they occasionally mention ďyeah he had PippenĒ like itís not that huge of a deal. It WAS a huge deal; to me thatís why I still feel he gets a little bit unappreciated.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2019, 06:53:53 pm »

I may be in the minority but yes, I think heís top 20-25 all time. Pippen could literally guard anyone; and in todayís NBA I could see him being an unstoppable D&3 guy who could slash and drive all day as well.

Maybe criminally underrated was a tad dramatic but cmon man this is hogville. I just feel like whenever people compare how little Jordan had to work with compared to LeBron they occasionally mention ďyeah he had PippenĒ like itís not that huge of a deal. It WAS a huge deal; to me thatís why I still feel he gets a little bit unappreciated.

He's in the back end of the Top 50, and fading.   We know what he was capable of without Jordan, which we don't often get for prime stars with veteran, championship experienced teams.

kingofdequeen

• Gold Hogvillian
  • CJK5H
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2019, 09:01:55 am »

yeah he ain't in top 50 no mo prolly.   god bless him.

Hogwop

• You've raised my frosty dander!
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2019, 05:55:58 pm »

yeah he ain't in top 50 no mo prolly.   god bless him.

I dunno about that, man. I feel like Scottie would have been a great player in any era because of his defensive ability. He could defend any position if he had to. According to basketballreference.com, SLAM magazine listed a top 100 all time listin 2011 and Pippen was no 27. I know it's all subjective but I feel like he's probably still safely in the top 50

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2019, 10:25:15 pm »

Matt Barnes disagrees. 

Edit: I see freaking KOd beat me to it

farfromgroovins

• Varsity
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2019, 05:16:52 pm »

Scottie changed the small forward position at the time.  Handle the ball, pass the ball, shoot the ball, defend, athleticism.  A guard in a 6' 8" frame.

Now, the game is changing again with courts littered with 6' 4" guards and unbelievably long athletic 6' 9" + bigs.  Scottie would be a tall guard in today's game but I don't doubt he couldn't ball it up.

Top 50?  Why not?
Every dynasty has more than just 1 player and those seconds are definitely HoF......
Magic/Kareem
Durant/Curry
LeBron/Wade
Bird/McHale
LeBron/Irving
Kobe/Shaq
Jordan/......and that other guy.......

You don't win 6 rings without having championship talent.

hawgmasta

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2019, 12:17:19 pm »

I dunno about that, man. I feel like Scottie would have been a great player in any era because of his defensive ability. He could defend any position if he had to. According to basketballreference.com, SLAM magazine listed a top 100 all time listin 2011 and Pippen was no 27. I know it's all subjective but I feel like he's probably still safely in the top 50

Thatís fair and what Iím feeling, around the 25th best player ever.

hawkhawg

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2019, 04:37:47 pm »

Scottie changed the small forward position at the time.  Handle the ball, pass the ball, shoot the ball, defend, athleticism.  A guard in a 6' 8" frame.

Now, the game is changing again with courts littered with 6' 4" guards and unbelievably long athletic 6' 9" + bigs.  Scottie would be a tall guard in today's game but I don't doubt he couldn't ball it up.

Top 50?  Why not?
Every dynasty has more than just 1 player and those seconds are definitely HoF......
Magic/Kareem
Durant/Curry
LeBron/Wade
Bird/McHale
LeBron/Irving
Kobe/Shaq
Jordan/......and that other guy.......

You don't win 6 rings without having championship talent.

I think that there are players better than him but if you were assembling a team then you would pick Scottie ahead of a lot of the guys that are ranked ahead of him. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas