• 10,349,957 Posts
• 409,554 Topics
• 23,410 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bunting  (Read 4132 times)

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
Bunting
« on: June 15, 2019, 08:50:14 pm »

?????????

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
Re: Bunting
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 08:52:18 pm »

Yes, very colorful birds.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 09:09:19 pm by Ex-Trumpet »

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

JonClaudeVanHam

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 08:54:01 pm »

I have no idea. What in the world was DVH thinking? I need him to explain it to me, big time.

bballjws2004

• Varsity
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 08:54:10 pm »

I assume this a reference to not running a squeeze in the 8th?

Cmheinley

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 08:56:23 pm »

We also should have bunted in the 6th with no outs I believe

TebowHater

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 08:57:03 pm »

I have no idea. What in the world was DVH thinking? I need him to explain it to me, big time.

Same thing he was thinking at UK and every other time this has happened this year. He's clearly made his mind up and isn't go to deviate.

hogginbama

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 08:57:54 pm »

I am sure it was given some thought, especially with the way Casey has struggled against lefties with good breaking balls. Maybe they saw the 3rd baseman cheating in on every pitch. Maybe someone at the game could let us know the movement of the 3rd baseman as the pitch was being made.

JonClaudeVanHam

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 08:59:55 pm »

Same thing he was thinking at UK and every other time this has happened this year. He's clearly made his mind up and isn't go to deviate.

I just really don't want this to be it. It's dripping with so much typical coaching stubbornness/arrogance that I can't stand.

Razrpig256

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 09:00:40 pm »

Yep, said the same thing in the game thread and I think I was one of the few to ask for the bunt without the benefit of hindsight. Casey is ice cold and Parrish was red hot. Easiest call of the year.

ImHogginIt

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 09:01:52 pm »

To be fair these young men have grown up in the "swing for the fences or strike out era" so basic fundamentals like bunting are foreign and boring for them  >:(

JonClaudeVanHam

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 09:06:01 pm »

To be fair these young men have grown up in the "swing for the fences or strike out era" so basic fundamentals like bunting are foreign and boring for them  >:(

Squeezes are organized plays. This would not have been a player call. Don't blame the younger generation for this crap.

Cmheinley

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 09:07:19 pm »

It's one of the most powerful and strategic plays in the game. We need more of it imho but we've laid down a few good ones this year and had no reason to the rest of the time. We won't get shut out again this year I guarantee

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Dude I was the cool guy back in 76 look at me now
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 09:10:02 pm »

So now we don't execute the proper baseball play, score one run and bring our closer in who WOULD have kept them to a zero. Instead, we don't bunt and bring in a good but not our top pitcher and he proceeds to ding the fastest guy on the other team. They small balled him around the bases and we lose with a far superior team.

Beaverfever

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 09:10:30 pm »

UK, Tennessee etc.  DVH isnít big on bunting at least with this squad.  He has made it clear.

greenEGnHAWGS

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2019, 09:11:31 pm »

Squeezes are organized plays. This would not have been a player call. Don't blame the younger generation for this crap.

Are we really fussing about our coach...? The guy who got us back here with so many new players?

Iím not saying that every call was perfect this year, but fussing at our HOF coach irks me.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2019, 09:12:50 pm »

UK, Tennessee etc.  DVH isnít big on bunting at least with this squad.  He has made it clear.
I can remember when DVH would bunt in the early part of the game just to get the lead. Now the pendulum has swung so far the other way we don't bunt even when the situation screams for it. We lost to an inferior team. I just hope we get another shot at these guys.

N HOG

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 09:12:55 pm »

By the way, there is also such a thing as the SAFETY squeeze.

JonClaudeVanHam

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2019, 09:13:11 pm »

Are we really fussing about our coach...? The guy who got us back here with so many new players?

Iím not saying that every call was perfect this year, but fussing at our HOF coach irks me.

Well, let's not pretend he's immune to potentially making a mistake.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2019, 09:14:20 pm »

OK, he did the right thing. Excuse the expression, but "in a pig's eye".....man, oh man

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2019, 09:16:13 pm »

This wasn't even their Friday night pitcher. I feel so sorry for Zay. He's come so far and to get zero (literally) run support is just not good.

ucahogfan

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2019, 09:16:49 pm »

This wasn't even their Friday night pitcher. I feel so sorry for Zay. He's come so far and to get zero (literally) run support is just not good.
Parrish has literally been their Friday night pitcher all year.  And he is good enough to have pitched for Team USA.

Waldron_Hog

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2019, 09:17:36 pm »

This guy was their friday pitcher all damn year. Where do some of you people get this crap?

JonClaudeVanHam

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2019, 09:18:20 pm »

Parrish has been their Friday night guy all year.

Wooderson

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2019, 09:19:49 pm »

There is nothing wrong with pointing out Dave made a mistake. I bet Dave is frustrated with himself.

ImHogginIt

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2019, 09:27:32 pm »

I do blame my generation for teaching this generation. Just watched Matt Carpenter for the Cards swing for the fences with the bases loaded down 8 to 6 with two outs. How about choke up on the bat sometimes and just try and place the ball for a single. Fundamental baseball is no longer taught on any level.

navyhog24

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2019, 09:28:33 pm »

Not when you have guys trying to play hero ball and swinging for the fences every AB

TeufelHog

• Never Forget, Never Yield!
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2019, 09:28:45 pm »

UK, Tennessee etc.  DVH isn’t big on bunting at least with this squad.  He has made it clear.
Well, when you haven't scored in 22 innings in Omaha it might be just what the doctor ordered to "break a dry-spell."  I know we have a very good offense, but every once in awhile you need to execute the capability.  Especially in a pitchers duel like we had tonight into the late innings.  The way Zay and Parrish were going at it, CDVH had to know one run could win this one and cause the opponent to press.  Hopefully someone will ask him in the presser if he considered it at all.  Like to know his thoughts/rationale.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2019, 09:35:06 pm »

Parrish has been their Friday night guy all year.
Don't expect our fans to know this......  they just discovered baseball last season.

HogPharmer

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2019, 09:35:11 pm »

In my head, I was screaming ďBUNT!Ē but I didnít say it out loud because I wanted it to actually happen and at least see an attempt with the two fastest guys on the diamond attempting to gain 90 feet. Didnít happen. Such is life. I still will not question the best coach in all of baseball.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2019, 09:35:26 pm »

Didn't we sweep Tennessee?

TeufelHog

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2019, 09:37:00 pm »

I’m not saying that every call was perfect this year, but fussing at our HOF coach irks me.
There is nothing wrong with discussing good and bad calls made by our head coach.  CDVH is not infallible and he would be the first to agree.  Food for thought . . . the HOF'er in the other dugout had no problem having his team execute small-ball tonight and he walked off the field with the win.  It's just that several people throughout the season have been amazed that our HOF'er has so obviously avoided the opportunities.  He used to execute the skill regularly.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2019, 09:39:45 pm »

It's just that several people throughout the season have been amazed that our HOF'er has so obviously avoided the opportunities.  He used to execute the skill regularly.
There has also been several of you complain when we try to bunt and it backfires.  See the guy in the hogpen who got in an argument about us bunting Franklin.

Truth is that it's easy to second guess when execution doesn't happen.

Nothing is said if Marty lays of the changeup and drills a line drive to bring a run home.

Also.... just as many people complain about giving up a free out if Marty pops up the bunt attempt.

N HOG

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2019, 09:43:43 pm »

There has also been several of you complain when we try to bunt and it backfires.  See the guy in the hogpen who got in an argument about us bunting Franklin.

Nothing is said if Marty lays of the changeup and drills a line drive to bring a run home.

Also.... just as many people complain about giving up a free out if Marty pops up the bunt attempt.

Wrong.

greenEGnHAWGS

• Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2019, 09:44:05 pm »

There is nothing wrong with discussing good and bad calls made by our head coach.  CDVH is not infallible and he would be the first to agree.  Food for thought . . . the HOF'er in the other dugout had no problem having his team execute small-ball tonight and he walked off the field with the win.  It's just that several people throughout the season have been amazed that our HOF'er has so obviously avoided the opportunities.  He used to execute the skill regularly.

Fair enough.

Amityvillehogger

• Veni, vidi, vici...
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2019, 09:44:23 pm »

Great ball game. Still proud of this team and staff.

Glad I get to watch them play again.

Beaverfever

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2019, 09:44:53 pm »

Didn't we sweep Tennessee?
Yeah?  Iím not necessarily being critical.  I hate bunting as much as the next guy.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2019, 09:46:07 pm »

0-0 bottom of the eighth. Get the lead.

I knew the minute Goodheart struck out, we would lose.

If we are never going to bunt, why do we even practice it.

Hogman2

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2019, 09:50:17 pm »

Woulda, coulda, shoulda? Bottom line, we were terrible at the plate tonight and got SHUT OUT! WE have a slim chance of going to the championship series NOW!If we  are crying about bunting, then we are not good enough to beat anybody .  I love our Omahogs but tonight makes it next to impossible to win the title.  We do not have enough good pitching to win out of the losers bracket.  GO HOGS!  I HOPE WE CAN GET IT GOING NOW!

TeufelHog

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2019, 09:51:02 pm »

It's not a second guessing perspective.  It's been the fact that CDVH hasn't tried the squeeze all year and it has cost us a few wins to include tonight IMHO.  In order to learn why, I would just like to know our coaches thought process in these cases.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2019, 09:53:16 pm »

It's not a second guessing perspective.  It's been the fact that CDVH hasn't tried the squeeze all year and it has cost us a few wins to include tonight IMHO.  In order to learn why, I would just like to know our coaches thought process in these cases.
Tonight and Kentucky are the only two I can come up with.

What are the other games?

We swept Tennessee.... so nope - not that game.

navyhog24

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2019, 09:53:26 pm »

Especially with the way Martin has been slumping since aTm Game 2.

ucahogfan

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2019, 09:53:28 pm »

Bottom line, we were terrible at the plate tonight
The man on the mound for Florida State had a lot to do with that.

JonClaudeVanHam

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2019, 09:55:18 pm »

The man on the mound for Florida State had a lot to do with that.

Absolutely. I think this why this thread is even happening. Parrish was incredible tonight. Why in the world do you not do something to force a run across?

zumhog

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2019, 09:56:24 pm »

It was a pitchers duel. I dont really get taking Zay out when he did but its not my call. Still proud of this team and what they have accomplished. Go get em Hogs!

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2019, 09:56:47 pm »

You cannot swing your way to a natty.

You have to be able to play situational offensive baseball.

ucahogfan

« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2019, 09:57:23 pm »

Absolutely. I think this why this thread is even happening. Parrish was incredible tonight. Why in the world do you not do something to force a run across?
There were a couple of times I thought we should bunt tonight.  I thought we should try and have Ezell lay down a drag bunt to see if they would throw it around.  Same thing with Martin.

TeufelHog

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2019, 09:58:09 pm »

You cannot swing your way to a natty.

You have to be able to play situational offensive baseball.

AMEN brother!

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2019, 10:04:27 pm »

You post so much wrong dumb stuff daily. 

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2019, 10:09:43 pm »

You post so much wrong dumb stuff daily.
I was repeating what Peterson said from the booth. Why don't you walk up to him slap him twice and tell him how dumb he is ?

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2019, 10:18:46 pm »

I was repeating what Peterson said from the booth. Why don't you walk up to him slap him twice and tell him how dumb he is ?

He did not say that
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas