• 10,566,698 Posts
• 416,019 Topics
• 23,899 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question regarding bonuses  (Read 1373 times)

boatinporker

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Question regarding bonuses
« on: June 13, 2019, 07:01:23 pm »

If one of our prospects decides to sign with a major league team after being drafted, and let's say his bonus was 1.5 million. Does he receive this money upfront? And what is he paid as a salary for the year? Does triple A pay more than double A and double A more than A? I see where the STL Cardinals signed a high school player committed to Vandy and I am trying to understand the options he considered.

woodrow hog call

Re: Question regarding bonuses
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 07:35:47 pm »

In most cases that I know of the signing bonus is paid upfront, then the player is paid a monthly salary, that does increase at each level. An early round draft pick can negotiate a few different perks or promises into his contract, but the vast majority, get the signing money and start drawing their salary, trying to work their way up the food chain.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

PintailKiller

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 09:10:45 pm »

It varies.  Sometimes the bonus is split among a couple of payments.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 09:41:44 pm »

Regardless of the how the payments workout isn't the player still entitled to the full amount for just signing?

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 09:46:16 pm »

Regardless of the how the payments workout isn't the player still entitled to the full amount for just signing?

I believe that is correct.  Also some will ask for it to be paid over 3-5 years, kind of like stretching it out and rasining their income while in minors. 

ucahogfan

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 09:49:14 pm »

The player is also required to fulfill certain obligations to keep the full signing bonus.  Kyler Murray was required to give back the vast majority of his signing bonus once he decided to pursue football full time.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 10:01:14 pm »

The player is also required to fulfill certain obligations to keep the full signing bonus.  Kyler Murray was required to give back the vast majority of his signing bonus once he decided to pursue football full time.

Pretty much a case by case, or contract by contract basis then I guess?

ucahogfan

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 10:04:58 pm »

Pretty much a case by case, or contract by contract basis then I guess?
I would think there is pretty standard language in the contract to protect MLB teams surrounding that especially for potential two way players.  I have not seen a contract, but I would think it might have some language that stipulates that it will all be paid up front, but the player has to commit to a certain number of years or would have to pay back the proportional share of what is left.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 10:06:36 pm »

I would think there is pretty standard language in the contract to protect MLB teams surrounding that especially for potential two way players.  I have not seen a contract, but I would think it might have some language that stipulates that it will all be paid up front, but the player has to commit to a certain number of years or would have to pay back the proportional share of what is left.

Makes sense. Was never sure if that was the case or not because it's called a "signing" bonus.

ucahogfan

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 10:10:35 pm »

Makes sense. Was never sure if that was the case or not because it's called a "signing" bonus.
Now, that is just speculation from me, but it would make sense to add that language into the contract so the player doesn't pocket several million dollars and just retires.

berryhog

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 10:19:27 pm »

I thought it was a terrible decision for the A's to draft Murray AND allow him to return to play college football.  And even worse if they actually owe him money.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 10:27:51 pm »

Now, that is just speculation from me, but it would make sense to add that language into the contract so the player doesn't pocket several million dollars and just retires.

Agreed.

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 08:18:54 am »

Better hope they get most of it up front.  Salaries in the bus leagues can be very minimal and I believe are only paid during the actual season, which could mean several months with no income.

Never had the opportunity to experience this so I could very obviously not have any idea of how it really works.

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 08:51:25 am »

there is a youtube channel called Antonelli Baseball. He was a former 1st round draft pick as a 2nd baseman from Wake Forest. He played a few games with the Padres before hand injuries got the better of him. He answers a lot of those type of questions on it. I believe he has a video or 2 about signing bonuses and Minor league pay.

It is pretty interesting stuff about the day to day life of ball players.

rzrbkman

• Senior
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 09:02:03 am »

Almost 20 years ago, a high school baseball player from a small school in Arkansas, signed with the Razorbacks, but then was drafted really high and signed with the MLB team and received a large signing bonus. Within 2 years the player was injured but not bad enough to end his career. Instead of going through rehab as his team requested, he took the remainder of the bonus, want back to his hometown, bought a farm. The MLB team went after him to get the bonus money back, but I never did hear what happened.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 02:27:45 pm »

there is a youtube channel called Antonelli Baseball. He was a former 1st round draft pick as a 2nd baseman from Wake Forest. He played a few games with the Padres before hand injuries got the better of him. He answers a lot of those type of questions on it. I believe he has a video or 2 about signing bonuses and Minor league pay.

It is pretty interesting stuff about the day to day life of ball players.

Thanks for the information, very interesting. I’m going to look it up when I have a little extra time.

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 03:48:24 pm »

Thanks for the information, very interesting. I’m going to look it up when I have a little extra time.

It is really good stuff. I would love for someone to do a similar series about the NFL or even the NBA.

bjeffersonhog

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 05:04:13 pm »

Almost 20 years ago, a high school baseball player from a small school in Arkansas, signed with the Razorbacks, but then was drafted really high and signed with the MLB team and received a large signing bonus. Within 2 years the player was injured but not bad enough to end his career. Instead of going through rehab as his team requested, he took the remainder of the bonus, want back to his hometown, bought a farm. The MLB team went after him to get the bonus money back, but I never did hear what happened.

Brandon Love?

That kid was abused so bad in summer league when he was still in high school.  He was pitched way more then he should have been, and while his summer league coach is a legend in the area.... He should be ashamed for what he did to that kids arm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas