• 10,394,600 Posts
• 410,893 Topics
• 23,485 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: CWS Umpires  (Read 3473 times)

bosshawg33

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
CWS Umpires
« on: June 12, 2019, 08:56:31 pm »

Any intel on the makeup of the overall crew this year? And please God, donít let it include PC...

Wisco Pig

Re: CWS Umpires
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 09:05:27 pm »

Any intel on the makeup of the overall crew this year? And please God, donít let it include PC...

Uh oh.  See line 3 at the link.
https://ncaabaseball.arbitersports.com/Groups/105039/Library/files/2019CWS.pdf

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 09:11:41 pm »

Razrpig256

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 09:12:46 pm »

tennesseehogwild

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 09:29:19 pm »

Hope his ass and his crew is calling bracket #2. But I bet not! What a bummer for all the teams to have to endure him

10yrsofhell

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 09:31:48 pm »

Earlier this year I was listening to a radio broadcast of an Ole Miss/Louisville baseball game. The Ole Miss announcers were complaining about how bad the home plate umpire was.  Bad call after bad call.
It was PC.

bulldog04

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 09:41:39 pm »

PC and Scott Cline and probably on the same crew

247Hog

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 09:46:17 pm »

Earlier this year I was listening to a radio broadcast of an Ole Miss/Louisville baseball game. The Ole Miss announcers were complaining about how bad the home plate umpire was.  Bad call after bad call.
It was PC.

Not saying it wasn't a bad called game but Ole Miss complain about calls every game they played.

navyhog24

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 10:08:42 pm »

Lets just hope that if he is in any of our games that he is not behind the plate in any of them.

bosshawg33

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 10:11:37 pm »

Uh oh.  See line 3 at the link.
https://ncaabaseball.arbitersports.com/Groups/105039/Library/files/2019CWS.pdf

Why am I not surprised...so ridiculous.

Do we know if any of the others are SEC guys, and if so, their general reputation?

Cracker Jack

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 10:23:23 pm »

Perry Costello......college baseball's Angel Hernandez.  I think both of them must have some sleazy pictures of a "higher-up". 
As we say in south Arkansas, neither one of them "can call the dogs"!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:30:29 am by Cracker Jack »

HOGKING

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 10:48:19 pm »

Hope his ass and his crew is calling bracket #2. But I bet not! What a bummer for all the teams to have to endure him

Maybe he will be on the other side. I hear he is from Michigan so he shouldn't be able to call games in their bracket....I have no Idea if he was a wolverine fan or went to school there but that sounds like a good point to argue as to why he should be in the Vanderbilt's bracket and not ours. 

BroyledNutts

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 11:06:51 pm »

HE was there last year as well, and worked in the field in a couple of our games ... but he never called balls and strikes.
I think after the Arizona St. and USCe debacles DVH told the NCAA he wouldn't allow HIM to ever call another game involving the Hogs.

Scott Cline can be unpredictable ... one time he seems to do ok, another time he's calling strikes in the other batter's box, and high as the chin.

RaisinHog

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 11:09:24 pm »

Perry Costello......college baseball's Angel Martinez.  I think both of them must have some sleazy pictures of a "higher-up". 

You mean angel Hernandez?

hoglady

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 11:13:25 pm »

Since he's the Crew Chief - does he get to set the assignments??
If he's on our side - I bet he'll be behind the plate for the primetime game of ours.

Just shows the NCAA doesn't give a flying flip what the coach's or anyone else thinks - looks like this will be his 8th CWS.

MissippHog

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 11:35:15 pm »

Perry Costello......college baseball's Angel Martinez.  I think both of them must have some sleazy pictures of a "higher-up". 
Maybe you should have just gone with the CFB's Marc Curles?  ;)

El Duderino

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 11:59:28 pm »

I remember the South Carolina game all too well but what exactly happened in 2010 vs ASU? I remember it being just as bad but canít recall the specifics

ultim8hogfan

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 12:07:22 am »

I remember the South Carolina game all too well but what exactly happened in 2010 vs ASU? I remember it being just as bad but canít recall the specifics

This was him calling strikes agains us.

El Duderino

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 12:08:51 am »

This was him calling strikes agains us.

Terrible. Was the worst I had seen. But do you remember what happened vs Arizona St in 2010?

southarkhog06

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 03:07:14 am »

It has been awhile but I seem to remember in the 09 super he called eibner for batter interference every time he came to the plate seemed like.

SquidBiily

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 06:12:44 am »

Itís high time something was done about Costello.  He should only be allowed to ump tee ball and coach pitch baseball games.

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2019, 07:53:43 am »

It has been awhile but I seem to remember in the 09 super he called eibner for batter interference every time he came to the plate seemed like.

That was 2010 in Tempe.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2019, 07:59:39 am »

We can complain all we want but obviously the NCAA likes him. He will be the crew chief, he has the most CWS appearances of all named umps, and heís been around forever. Time to accept what canít be changed and win despite him.

hoglady

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2019, 08:10:35 am »

We can complain all we want but obviously the NCAA likes him. He will be the crew chief, he has the most CWS appearances of all named umps, and he’s been around forever. Time to accept what can’t be changed and win despite him.

Who sets the assignments for each game - the NCAA or the Crew Chief for each crew?

Cracker Jack

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2019, 08:32:57 am »

You mean angel Hernandez?
Yes, and thank you!  Corrected.   He's awful, and so is Perry.  I really hope we NEVER EVER get that guy behind the plate again. 

sowmonella

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You know I'm right.
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2019, 08:45:24 am »

:puke: Perry Costello?

pork in the whiskers

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2019, 08:50:45 am »

Who sets the assignments for each game - the NCAA or the Crew Chief for each crew?

The NCAA...

N HOG

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2019, 08:51:59 am »

We can complain all we want but obviously the NCAA likes him. He will be the crew chief, he has the most CWS appearances of all named umps, and heís been around forever. Time to accept what canít be changed and win despite him.

And that's all you need to know about the NCAA.

HuntsvilleHawgFan

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2019, 09:23:13 am »

Theoretical question,  IF a team gets completely hosed by an un-named umpire and loses a championship game because of such action, I realize the University is somewhat helpless, but could a individual group not officially associated with said University (perhaps a group like Hogville) sue the NCAA for malpractice?  As the organization behind the entire tournament, the NCAA is responsible for supplying well trained, unbiased, qualified on-field officials to oversee the competition.  Seems to me the NCAA should be held accountable if said on-field officials are not up to par to the quality of the play on the field.   

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2019, 10:18:55 am »

Theoretical question,  IF a team gets completely hosed by an un-named umpire and loses a championship game because of such action, I realize the University is somewhat helpless, but could a individual group not officially associated with said University (perhaps a group like Hogville) sue the NCAA for malpractice? As the organization behind the entire tournament, the NCAA is responsible for supplying well trained, unbiased, qualified on-field officials to oversee the competition.  Seems to me the NCAA should be held accountable if said on-field officials are not up to par to the quality of the play on the field.

What standing would said group have to file a lawsuit?  How has said group been damaged or defamed? The group spent time watching the game? Spent money to travel and bought tickets? That's called entertainment.

There would be no standing to file any lawsuit.  Remember the noise about the Saints fans filing a lawsuit over the botched PI no call?  Same deal.  The fans were not the ones injured or economically or financially damaged thus the fans have no standing in such action. The Saints organization, on the other hand, could have potentially made a case as they were potentially damaged by being denied the opportunity to advance.

SSFrazorback

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2019, 10:39:01 am »

I think electronic balls and strikes are coming and I welcome it. The inconsistency of strike zones has a negative effect on the game. The one game I remember Campbell struggling in  (donít remember the opponent) the strike zone kept changing and he couldnít paint the edges because it could be a ball or strike on any given pitch. Can you imagine trying to protect the plate on a 3-2 count with that P Costello strike zone pictured above?

HuntsvilleHawgFan

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2019, 10:40:40 am »

What standing would said group have to file a lawsuit?  How has said group been damaged or defamed? The group spent time watching the game? Spent money to travel and bought tickets? That's called entertainment.

There would be no standing to file any lawsuit.  Remember the noise about the Saints fans filing a lawsuit over the botched PI no call?  Same deal.  The fans were not the ones injured or economically or financially damaged thus the fans have no standing in such action. The Saints organization, on the other hand, could have potentially made a case as they were potentially damaged by being denied the opportunity to advance.
Your response seems logical and based perhaps on expertise in the legal field.  Still seems to me that the NCAA should somehow be held accountable for placing the outcome of top level competition in a championship atmosphere in the hands of an incompetent individual. 

jbell96

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2019, 10:40:46 am »

I don't like Costello at all, I will always resent him for 2010 & 2012, but he was on the CWS crew last year & it had zero affect on how we did. Let's see it play out before we get too upset about him being there.

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2019, 10:52:02 am »

I think electronic balls and strikes are coming and I welcome it. The inconsistency of strike zones has a negative effect on the game. The one game I remember Campbell struggling in  (donít remember the opponent) the strike zone kept changing and he couldnít paint the edges because it could be a ball or strike on any given pitch. Can you imagine trying to protect the plate on a 3-2 count with that P Costello strike zone pictured above?

I agree. An umpire will still be required at the plate for out-safe calls, batter or catcher interference, foul balls, etc. but take the inconsistency of calling balls and strikes out of the umpires hands.

The video of Benitendi (sp?) posted in this forum had Angel Hernandez as the HP umpire.  I have watched numerous you tube vids of that guy and how he still has a job as a major league umpire is incomprehensible.

Balls and strikes are about the only judgment calls not subject to video review.  Time to move on to the available technology.

ricepig

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2019, 10:54:38 am »

I don't like Costello at all, I will always resent him for 2010 & 2012, but he was on the CWS crew last year & it had zero affect on how we did. Let's see it play out before we get too upset about him being there.

You mean, ďkill the umpĒ, is only an expression to be used at this time? And no, Iím not advocating any harm to anyone, out of those OM podcasters.

hogfanboy2

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2019, 11:05:03 am »

I would guess   one crew does the early game and one crew does the late game every day.

hoglady

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2019, 11:08:03 am »

I think electronic balls and strikes are coming and I welcome it. The inconsistency of strike zones has a negative effect on the game. The one game I remember Campbell struggling in  (don’t remember the opponent) the strike zone kept changing and he couldn’t paint the edges because it could be a ball or strike on any given pitch. Can you imagine trying to protect the plate on a 3-2 count with that P Costello strike zone pictured above?

I sure hope not.
The problem isn't really a slightly different zone from one umpire to the next - it's that each umpire needs to stay consistent within the zone he sets.
Electronic balls and strikes will completely change the game.
Part of being a good pitcher is adjusting to the zone set by the home plate umpire and part of being a good hitter is the same.
I don't want the game to lose that.

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2019, 11:19:36 am »

I sure hope not.
The problem isn't really a slightly different zone from one umpire to the next - it's that each umpire needs to stay consistent within the zone he sets.
Electronic balls and strikes will completely change the game.
Part of being a good pitcher is adjusting to the zone set by the home plate umpire and part of being a good hitter is the same.
I don't want the game to lose that.

I understand that we all want consistency.  I umpired for several years, not at the college level admittedly, and my zone was, based upon feedback from the coaches, very consistent. 

The problem is too many guys, even at the higher levels, don't have consistent zones which makes it difficult on the hitter and pitcher.  Seems the worst umpires are those who want everyone to know who is in charge and would rather be right than get it right. I have worked with those kind and it is a miserable experience.

hoglady

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2019, 11:42:07 am »

I understand that we all want consistency.  I umpired for several years, not at the college level admittedly, and my zone was, based upon feedback from the coaches, very consistent. 

The problem is too many guys, even at the higher levels, don't have consistent zones which makes it difficult on the hitter and pitcher.  Seems the worst umpires are those who want everyone to know who is in charge and would rather be right than get it right. I have worked with those kind and it is a miserable experience.

I know.
To me the answer should be to set up a grading system for the umpires and the bad ones need to either improve or be sent packing.
Forget the "good ole boy network".
An electronic system could be set up to grade umpires to review consistency within a game.

Supermark101

• Hogvillian
  • We all need a little Love
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2019, 11:56:13 am »

When will.we know which group umps which bracket?

BroyledNutts

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2019, 11:56:27 am »

I know.
To me the answer should be to set up a grading system for the umpires and the bad ones need to either improve or be sent packing.
Forget the "good ole boy network".
An electronic system could be set up to grade umpires to review consistency within a game.

The use of K-Zone could accomplish this right now. Every game could be reviewed for performance. Umpires with consistent horrible misses could be identified.
The responsibility would then shift to the conference or NCAA to do something about the bad apples, and they don't want that responsibility ... thus the reason K-Zone is not used. 

ucahogfan

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2019, 12:41:57 pm »

The use of K-Zone could accomplish this right now. Every game could be reviewed for performance. Umpires with consistent horrible misses could be identified.
The responsibility would then shift to the conference or NCAA to do something about the bad apples, and they don't want that responsibility ... thus the reason K-Zone is not used.
I believe the MLB currently uses this system to grade their umpires and determine who gets to work in the postseason along with Angel Hernandez.

They had K-Zone a few years ago at the CWS, but I think it just pointed out how bad the collegiate umps are so they aren't doing it anymore.

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2019, 12:42:23 pm »

It was PC.

What he did to Baxendale wasn't just bad calls. That dude cheated us...If he is behind the plate in a game we play something is wrong. He clearly squeezed our pitcher and called strikes for the other team. GEEZ I mean this is to important to have a known cheater.

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2019, 12:44:22 pm »

Was he behind the plate? That is the only position that he can cheat us at.

BroyledNutts

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2019, 01:30:01 pm »

Not that I remember ... he was on the crew for two of our games last year, neither one behind the plate.

ricepig

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2019, 01:39:26 pm »

Not that I remember ... he was on the crew for two of our games last year, neither one behind the plate.

I want to think he was at first and third, but my thinking is slow these days, lol.

jbell96

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2019, 02:18:38 pm »

I think he was behind the plate for the Florida game, but I am not sure.

hoglady

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2019, 04:15:38 pm »

I don't really have a problem with an umpire who calls strikes a little bit outside the K-Zone or doesn't give a pitcher a strike that's on what would be the K-Zone line / as long as they are consistent in that call for both pitchers throughout the game.

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2019, 04:30:23 pm »

I don't really have a problem with an umpire who calls strikes a little bit outside the K-Zone or doesn't give a pitcher a strike that's on what would be the K-Zone line / as long as they are consistent in that call for both pitchers throughout the game.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.  These guys are swinging 34" BBCOR bats with I am guessing a 3 ounce drop.  The plate is 17 inches wide and the inside line of the box is 6 inches from the plate.  With the arms extended these guys can reach halfway into the other box.  Nothing wrong with calling a pitch a strike that is 3-4 inches off the plate but they must be consistent from the start and for both teams.  Can't have a full count on a hitter, especially late in the game, and a pitch 4 inches off the plate that hasn't been a strike all day all of a sudden be a strike.

And a low strike, say an inch or two below the hollow of the knee, is much more acceptable to me than a strike an inch or two above the top end of the zone.  Much easier to get on the low pitch than the high.

BroyledNutts

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2019, 06:04:05 pm »

I want to think he was at first and third, but my thinking is slow these days, lol.

Correct.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas