• 10,397,350 Posts
• 410,986 Topics
• 23,490 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do you like tennis?  (Read 544 times)

kane54131

• Walk-On
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Why do you like tennis?
« on: June 12, 2019, 02:55:48 am »

I absolutely love the game. It is a big part of my life and many of my friends are people that I met through tennis. It is a game that you can play most of your life. I have played with people in their 80s and 90s. Men and women (best tennis shoes) can play together and compete together. It is great for families. It is good for physical fitness. It is a game that is easy to play at a fairly high level, but difficult to master. Almost anyone can play. The late great Vic Braden once said, “if you can take your index finger and place it on your nose, then I can teach you how to play tennis.”

It is a great stress reliever. There are so many mental aspects of the game as well, including strategy and court positioning, that can have as much if not more impact on your game as the strokes, themselves.

I played a couple of hours ago and I am going to be teaching kids, tomorrow morning. What a wonderful game!
AND
Why do you like tennis?

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Everything from did-il-I-doh to darned if I know
Re: Why do you like tennis?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 07:45:25 am »

Some of the best athletes in the world. Rare combination of speed, power and coordination.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Adam Stokes

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 04:11:10 pm »

It is the great equalizer of sports. I've been smoked by 12 year olds, 60 year olds, and women alike. Most diverse field of international athletes.

Though I'd argue it is pretty difficult to pick up. You can take a good basketball player and they can play football or soccer half decent. Throw them on a tennis court and they get humbled pretty quick.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 07:39:08 pm »

It is the great equalizer of sports. I've been smoked by 12 year olds, 60 year olds, and women alike. Most diverse field of international athletes.

Though I'd argue it is pretty difficult to pick up. You can take a good basketball player and they can play football or soccer half decent. Throw them on a tennis court and they get humbled pretty quick.

Yep.

1highhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 05:23:37 am »

I love tennis, used to play it all the time when I was younger.  I haven't played it in years but it's a game that a novice can easily pick up just to hit the ball over the net back and forth to a partner.  Now, with that said, put someone on the other side with just a little experience and the novice will never even come close to returning a ball.  The conditioning it takes to play tennis, especially at a mid to high level, is one of the better sports out there to play.

Tai_Mai_Shu

• Senior
  • Gina Carano - these hands aren't made for texting
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 02:04:47 pm »

I tried every other sports and stinks at it until I found some success with tennis and now I'm getting better each day. It's one of the few sports you can play when you're older and still be competitive.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Dude I was the cool guy back in 76 look at me now
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 04:43:43 pm »

Roger Federer

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 06:12:25 am »

It's also a sport where you will find some of the best leggs in the bidness on the ladies.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

• Come to the Dark Side
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 01:52:46 pm »

John McEnroe

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 12:46:27 pm »

Federer is showing why he is the GOAT right now. 11-all in the 5th.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 01:55:10 pm »

Federer is showing why he is the GOAT right now. 11-all in the 5th.
No 38 year old on the planet could play professional sport at the level Roger is playing....like Jim Courier says, "The Maestro has to be an alien"....yeah he lost in a 6th set tie breaker, or what would be the equivalent of a six set tie-breaker, Federer is a living legend. Win or lose today.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 02:11:07 pm »

No 38 year old on the planet could play professional sport at the level Roger is playing....like Jim Courier says, "The Maestro has to be an alien"....yeah he lost in a 6th set tie breaker, or what would be the equivalent of a six set tie-breaker, Federer is a living legend. Win or lose today.

I wish he’d have pulled it out. I love watching him, Moro’s and both sets of twins be grateful and gracious.

He’s a one of a kind sportsman.

Tejano Jawg

• Ram Jam!
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 02:17:12 pm »

Great final. I watched the entire last set, which was really like 2+ sets. So gutty by both guys, but I was pulling for Fed too.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 03:01:06 pm »

Great final. I watched the entire last set, which was really like 2+ sets. So gutty by both guys, but I was pulling for Fed too.

I’m afraid to miss a major final with Federer in it.

I want to see “one last gift to an old warhorse”.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 03:22:44 pm »

He’s a one of a kind sportsman.
With Djokovic being just the opposite. Gosh, when it was 40-15 and 8-7 Federer and on his serve, I thought we'd get one last big serve out of the man, but it just wasn't meant to be. I couldn't agree more, maybe the classiest man or woman to ever play professional sports. Obviously, I'm a huge fan of Federer and this one really hurt because it may be the last final he makes. I hope not. I guarantee the results would have been just the opposite if Novak had to have played Rafa in the semi's instead of Bautista-Agut. Oh well, the fruits of getting that #1 seed which Novak deserved. Dammit.

EastexHawg

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 10:05:11 am »

I played every sport when I was growing up and was usually pretty good at most of them.  I never played organized tennis but used to play with my friends, most of whom were good athletes.

I got to college and for one of my PE requirements I took tennis.  At the end of the semester we had a tournament.  I blew past everyone on my side of the draw to get to the final, mainly because I am 6'5" and could serve pretty well.  I guess I thought I was pretty good. 

When I got to the final I faced a guy who had played college tennis at Tyler Junior College.  He annihilated me.  I was helpless, couldn't do anything.  It put things in perspective, and he was only a JUCO player.

As for professional tennis now, I am not nearly as interested as I was in the day of McEnroe, Connors, Borg, Evert, Martina and even Lendl, Sampras, Agassi, and Steffi.  Maybe it's because there aren't as many top American players.  I think the sport is drawing fewer elite athletes than before, especially in the U.S.

I think that's why a Serena Williams can still win majors, or at least make the final, at almost 38 years old.  Who are the great women out there to beat her?  Chris Evert won her last major at age 31, and that was on clay where she was maybe the most dominant woman of all time.  Where are the Martina Navratilovas and Steffi Grafs to supplant her?  Serena was battling Martina Hingis for #1 twenty years ago.  They are the same age, 38, but Hingis hasn't won a major since 1999.  I know Serena is great, but I don't know about 38 years old great.

It was a near-transcendent story when Jimmy Connors made it to the semi-finals of the U.S. Open at age 39.  He was crushed by Courier in that round.  Will anyone be surprised if Serena makes a couple of grand slam finals, maybe wins one, next year at 39?

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 12:44:35 pm »

I played every sport when I was growing up and was usually pretty good at most of them.  I never played organized tennis but used to play with my friends, most of whom were good athletes.

I got to college and for one of my PE requirements I took tennis.  At the end of the semester we had a tournament.  I blew past everyone on my side of the draw to get to the final, mainly because I am 6'5" and could serve pretty well.  I guess I thought I was pretty good. 

When I got to the final I faced a guy who had played college tennis at Tyler Junior College.  He annihilated me.  I was helpless, couldn't do anything.  It put things in perspective, and he was only a JUCO player.

As for professional tennis now, I am not nearly as interested as I was in the day of McEnroe, Connors, Borg, Evert, Martina and even Lendl, Sampras, Agassi, and Steffi.  Maybe it's because there aren't as many top American players.  I think the sport is drawing fewer elite athletes than before, especially in the U.S.

I think that's why a Serena Williams can still win majors, or at least make the final, at almost 38 years old.  Who are the great women out there to beat her?  Chris Evert won her last major at age 31, and that was on clay where she was maybe the most dominant woman of all time.  Where are the Martina Navratilovas and Steffi Grafs to supplant her?  Serena was battling Martina Hingis for #1 twenty years ago.  They are the same age, 38, but Hingis hasn't won a major since 1999.  I know Serena is great, but I don't know about 38 years old great.

It was a near-transcendent story when Jimmy Connors made it to the semi-finals of the U.S. Open at age 39.  He was crushed by Courier in that round.  Will anyone be surprised if Serena makes a couple of grand slam finals, maybe wins one, next year at 39?
Serena can make finals in women's slams just depending on a one-two punch based on her serve. For Federer it is much tougher. In the men's game they return serve much better and a great serve is NOT as big of a weapon as it is in the women's game. Simona Halep played the match of her life to beat Serena. Simona was running around like the court like a man woman playing defense and still won. Before Saturday's final Simona's record against Serena was a very weak 1-9. On to the men's game. When is the last time you've seen a man whose serve blows the other player off the court make the finals of a major ?  I can't think of one. And if there is one in the last 5 years he lost. Kevin Anderson made the finals in a major last year and is considered primarily a big server but got run by Novak. What Serena has to do at 38 (best of 3 sets and her serve being dominant) is far and away easier than what Roger has to do at 38 (best of 5 sets and much more court movement).

Cotton

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Formerly of ESPN 8 "The Ocho"
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 12:48:18 pm »

I prefer racquetball and pickle-ball over tennis. 

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • What does not kill you makes you almost dead.
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 12:50:39 pm »

The game changed when racquet technology enabled 130 mph serves. It became (except on clay) all about serve and volley, and the really tall players took over.

It hasn't been the same for me ever since, but I enjoy watching Djokovic because his game is well-rounded. Watching Roger Federer use groundstrokes is painful. Some of those shots he misfired yesterday - ugly.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2019, 09:22:12 pm »

The game changed when racquet technology enabled 130 mph serves. It became (except on clay) all about serve and volley, and the really tall players took over.

It hasn't been the same for me ever since, but I enjoy watching Djokovic because his game is well-rounded. Watching Roger Federer use groundstrokes is painful. Some of those shots he misfired yesterday - ugly.

All about serve and volley?

Uh...

The serve and volley era has been over for a couple few decades. Some players still do it from time to time to win a point here or there but it isn’t the foundation of anyone’s game anymore.

We are in the baseline tennis era.

Players make mistakes with their groundstrokes. Djokovic made his fair share.

Djokavic’s double fault percentage was atrocious. Federer only dropped serve twice in the whole match. So his groundstroke game wasn’t all that bad. Keep in mind that is against the consensus best-serve-returner in the history of the game.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • What does not kill you makes you almost dead.
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 10:59:53 am »

All about serve and volley?

Uh...

The serve and volley era has been over for a couple few decades. Some players still do it from time to time to win a point here or there but it isn’t the foundation of anyone’s game anymore.

We are in the baseline tennis era.

Players make mistakes with their groundstrokes. Djokovic made his fair share.

Djokavic’s double fault percentage was atrocious. Federer only dropped serve twice in the whole match. So his groundstroke game wasn’t all that bad. Keep in mind that is against the consensus best-serve-returner in the history of the game.

The two were thisclose. It was an amazing match. Federer served like a god. It takes a superhuman to return any of that.

Tai_Mai_Shu

• Senior
  • Gina Carano - these hands aren't made for texting
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 03:34:30 pm »

It's also a sport where you will find some of the best leggs in the bidness on the ladies.

I'm playing in a mixed league and there are some eye candies.

East Clintwood

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 12:43:36 am »

I like watching in person but it sucks on TV.

hawgbawb

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tusk 'em Hogs.
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2019, 03:21:57 am »

I was an avid player, including as a kid, up unitil I destroyed my ACL coming down from an airborne overhead while playing in the USTA 4.0 Georgia Sr. team championships. I was 51 and decided not to go through the surgery and rehab.

One year my ALTA team won the A1 division in Atlanta. Those were the days! I really miss playing.

To excel at tennis requires a good combination of athleticism, conditioning, strategy and mental toughness.

• Come to the Dark Side
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2019, 09:36:44 am »

McEnroe, Conners, Borg, Lendl, Becker etc.

That’s when I loved to watch.  Wide ranging personalities and game styles.

Sometimes you actually want to see a rally.  I mean I love watching good net play, but for the most part it’s a thing of the past.  Whether it’s the athletes themselves or racket technology. I dunno not the same for me.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2019, 02:34:00 pm »

McEnroe, Conners, Borg, Lendl, Becker etc.

That’s when I loved to watch.  Wide ranging personalities and game styles.

Sometimes you actually want to see a rally.  I mean I love watching good net play, but for the most part it’s a thing of the past.  Whether it’s the athletes themselves or racket technology. I dunno not the same for me.

I had a dumbass at work that tried to tell me that the serve and volley era isn’t dead.

He got embarrassed.

And chastised for cherry picking statistics......

• Come to the Dark Side
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2019, 02:53:03 pm »

I had a dumbass at work that tried to tell me that the serve and volley era isn’t dead.

He got embarrassed.

And chastised for cherry picking statistics......

It’s absolutely dead.  I don’t even watch anymore.  Make them all go back wooden rackets. Well maybe not that drastic, but something.

McKdaddy

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2019, 09:59:54 am »

I can’t get enough of watching tennis, be it the McEnroe & Lendl generation of my youth, or those that followed such as Edberg, Becker, Sampras, and through today’s stars. The big 3 sports are the only ones that garner more of my attention.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas