• 10,355,291 Posts
• 409,707 Topics
• 23,417 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I would like to pay homage to.....  (Read 918 times)

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Everything from did-il-I-doh to darned if I know
I would like to pay homage to.....
« on: June 11, 2019, 08:08:09 pm »

The American simplicity of a double smashed cheeseburger, loaded, with pickle, onion, tomato, mayo, mustard and a drop of ketchup.

This particular board discusses more complicated concoctions, but I’d like to pay my respects to the simplest of deliciousness.

Yes, I just ate one.

Boarcephus

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
Re: I would like to pay homage to.....
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 08:33:20 pm »

The American simplicity of a double smashed cheeseburger, loaded, with pickle, onion, tomato, mayo, mustard and a drop of ketchup.

This particular board discusses more complicated concoctions, but I’d like to pay my respects to the simplest of deliciousness.

Yes, I just ate one.

You had me till you put ketchup on it. 😄.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

sevenof400

• Is it too late to remember what was best in life?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 08:55:18 pm »

Heinz 57?
French fried potato?

ricepig

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 07:27:04 am »

You had me till you put ketchup on it. 😄.

He only put on a drop......I’ll dab the last bite into the ketchup mound if there’s a little left, but yes, no ketchup for a loaded up cheeseburger.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 09:34:08 am »

He only put on a drop......I’ll dab the last bite into the ketchup mound if there’s a little left, but yes, no ketchup for a loaded up cheeseburger.

I put one lonely drop in the middle of my mayo and mustard.

Seriously.

It’s kinda like picking up the pepper shaker and giving it two shakes and putting it down, not really doh g anything with it. Just going through the motions.

EconHawg

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 10:53:45 am »

Well said. I've tried every which way to make a better one at home, but I've yet to find a classic double burger that beats five guys.

Boarcephus

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 11:25:50 am »

LOL!!!  I'll pull a Clinton on you and say it all depends of what the definition of a "drop" is. 

I love tomatoes but I'm not a huge ketchup fan.  About the only time I use it is when I make cocktail sauce. 

ricepig

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 12:13:57 pm »

LOL!!!  I'll pull a Clinton on you and say it all depends of what the definition of a "drop" is. 

I love tomatoes but I'm not a huge ketchup fan.  About the only time I use it is when I make cocktail sauce. 

I understand, what do you dip your fries in?

311Hog

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 12:17:19 pm »

ranch

ricepig

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 12:19:48 pm »

Well said. I've tried every which way to make a better one at home, but I've yet to find a classic double burger that beats five guys.

BA Burrito here in Jonesboro makes a great burger. It’s funny, my youngest orders it plain everywhere but there. If he gets a burger from there, it’s on jalapeño bread with corn, guacamole, queso, lettuce, anything he’d put in a burrito.

I do like 5 Guys, very consistent, which is important.

ricepig

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 12:21:57 pm »

ranch

I like ranch for fried okra, but I prefer ketchup for fries. My kids like queso, gravy, Slim’s sauce, and sometimes ranch.

311Hog

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 12:25:50 pm »

I like ranch for fried okra, but I prefer ketchup for fries. My kids like queso, gravy, Slim’s sauce, and sometimes ranch.

have on occasion used thousand island dressing, mayo queso and gravy are excellent options.  Zax sauce is good to.

Boarcephus

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 12:37:16 pm »

I don't dip them in anything but when I do it's Ranch like 311Hog does.  If the fries are good you don't need anything.

ricepig

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 12:51:39 pm »

I don't dip them in anything but when I do it's Ranch like 311Hog does.  If the fries are good you don't need anything.

Yeah, some need help, others don’t. Eating at McD’s and Wendy’s back when I was hauling the kids around, I never used ketchup on McD’s fries, while always using it on Wendy’s.

311Hog

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 01:28:59 pm »

i cant believe i forgot one of the best things to dip fries in.  Grubbs fry dip wow it is so good.

Boarcephus

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 03:10:37 pm »

i cant believe i forgot one of the best things to dip fries in.  Grubbs fry dip wow it is so good.

That stuff is a killer.   Stinky's down in Santa Rosa has a smoked tomato tartar sauce that comes with their oyster po'boys that's along the same vein.  Any of the creole mayonnaise, garlic aioli line of products is what I love to dip my fries in. 

sevenof400

• Is it too late to remember what was best in life?
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 05:59:53 pm »

Animal style.
Outstanding.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 07:22:40 pm »

A drop is a drop.

So if you’re wanting to Clinton:

Probably a lot less volume than what Monica got on her dress.

But anyway:

Kenji squares us all away

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/ultra-smashed-cheeseburger-recipe-food-lab.html

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian

Pigs in Zen

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Chico’s Bail Bonds
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 08:26:31 pm »

A drop is a drop.

But anyway:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/ultra-smashed-cheeseburger-recipe-food-lab.html

I was going to post this link for you this morning but got busy, glad you’re on it. It’s a great recipe.

I made the above for My Parents two weeks ago and they flipped out. Reminded the old man of burger that he used to get as kid at a diner in Paris, Arkansas back in the 30’s/40’s.

I strongly suggest people give it a shot, it was outstanding.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 09:15:42 pm »

I was going to post this link for you this morning but got busy, glad you’re on it. It’s a great recipe.

I made the above for My Parents two weeks ago and they flipped out. Reminded the old man of burger that he used to get as kid at a diner in Paris, Arkansas back in the 30’s/40’s.

I strongly suggest people give it a shot, it was outstanding.

Kenji is my go-to for nearly everything food.

This be off the chain-

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/03/sichuan-wonton-chili-oil-suanla-chaoshou-recipe.html

EconHawg

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 10:58:29 am »

A drop is a drop.

But anyway:

Going to try these tonight. Also might have to look into making some homemade melting cheese slices like the ones linked in this recipe. Looks like all kinds of good stuff on here, thanks for the tip!

Pigs in Zen

• Chico’s Bail Bonds
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 11:30:33 am »

Going to try these tonight. Also might have to look into making some homemade melting cheese slices like the ones linked in this recipe. Looks like all kinds of good stuff on here, thanks for the tip!

You are going to love it, I used the 75/25 ground beef mix and it was decadent. Going to make it Saturday for My Parents again before we watch the game! Enjoy and report back!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 07:21:05 pm by Pigs in Zen »

EconHawg

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2019, 11:51:30 am »

That recipe looks incredible... Looks like Chicago Chinatown’s Lao Sze Chuan‘s szechuan dumplings , now I just need their cold sesame noodle recipe and I’m all set! Thank you for posting that man.

You are going to love it, I used the 75/25 ground beef mix and it was decadent. Going to make it Saturday for My Parents again before we watch the game! Enjoy and report back!

I'll be using 75/25 as well, although a little coarser grind than you find at the store. My folks raise cattle and hook us kids up with ground beef year round.

I'll report back tomorrow on these, and I'm also putting a butt on my new pellet smoker around 1 am tonight for the game tomorrow, so hopefully I've got a couple of good reports.

Pigs in Zen

• Chico’s Bail Bonds
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2019, 12:03:28 pm »

I'll be using 75/25 as well, although a little coarser grind than you find at the store. My folks raise cattle and hook us kids up with ground beef year round.

I'll report back tomorrow on these, and I'm also putting a butt on my new pellet smoker around 1 am tonight for the game tomorrow, so hopefully I've got a couple of good reports.

Sounds amazing, you’ve clearly got things on lockdown this weekend!

Which pellet smoker did you get, I need to replace the Parent’s Smoker soon. Looking to put in a wok station on their deck soon too... I live out of State but visit them between jobs and like to cook things that aren’t usually in Mom’s wheelhouse to treat them both.

EconHawg

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2019, 12:16:04 pm »

Sounds amazing, you’ve clearly got things on lockdown this weekend!

Which pellet smoker did you get, I need to replace the Parent’s Smoker soon. Looking to put in a wok station on their deck soon too... I live out of State but visit them between jobs and like to cook things that aren’t usually in Mom’s wheelhouse to treat them both.

It was a wedding present, so I didn't pick it out, but I got a Pit Boss pro series 820. So far, its made some really nice smoked chicken and a smoked meatloaf, but I'm excited to try it for something bigger/longer. I've only ever smoked on a big homemade smoker with wood, so I'm looking forward to a much easier day than I'm used to. My brother has a Traeger, and one thing I like about mine over his is it has a sear zone that gets really hot if you want it to.

I've never cooked on a wok before, but I bet it'd make some mean fajitas.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2019, 01:18:19 pm »

It was a wedding present, so I didn't pick it out, but I got a Pit Boss pro series 820. So far, its made some really nice smoked chicken and a smoked meatloaf, but I'm excited to try it for something bigger/longer. I've only ever smoked on a big homemade smoker with wood, so I'm looking forward to a much easier day than I'm used to. My brother has a Traeger, and one thing I like about mine over his is it has a sear zone that gets really hot if you want it to.

I've never cooked on a wok before, but I bet it'd make some mean fajitas.

As long as your wok isn’t the non stick kind.

You have to get the temp up to the surface of the sun to get the right sear. Non stick burns off and isn’t optimal. I hear it can make you sick.

I put my turkey fryer up on a couple blocks and turn it way up. Once oil starts to smoke the second it gets put in, then it’s hot enough. Only takes a couple minutes to get everything cooked properly.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2019, 01:22:53 pm »

That recipe looks incredible... Looks like Chicago Chinatown’s Lao Sze Chuan‘s szechuan dumplings , now I just need their cold sesame noodle recipe and I’m all set! Thank you for posting that man.

Dig this little Korean lady.

She is awesome.

My list of must cook recipes on her channel:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 01:33:48 pm by Großer Kriegschwein »

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian

twistitup

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2019, 01:49:37 pm »

Looks awesome!

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2019, 03:10:33 pm »

Kenji doing a burger tutorial.

Please ignore his Lamar-like limp wristed throwing style and Star Wars silliness.

Homie is a food giant.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2019, 03:18:20 pm »

This dish is the one that Anthony Bourdain loved the most. He one Chinese dish he wished he could eat everyday.

Mapo Dofu

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/07/real-deal-mapo-dofu-tofu-chinese-sichuan-recipe.html

Boarcephus

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2019, 04:01:41 pm »

This is also one from my travels that should get et.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/03/dinner-tonight-moroccan-ragout-with-poached-eggs-in-purgatory-recipe.html

I made something a couple years ago that looks very similiar to this.  I was reading an article that listed the top 10 things you needed  to eat before you die and since I was north of 60, felt like I needed to hurry up.  It's called Shakshuka and it's a north African dish.  I used Chorizo as the meat and what I like most about it, besides the taste, was the presentation.  Looks neat as hell. 

EconHawg

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2019, 08:28:45 pm »

Well, I started with too hot of a pan and set my smoke detectors off, but after I got that settled down, WOW.

Those are something special.  Even got some fancy buns to put it on.  Plus, I had some left over ground beef that I'll probably make these again out of for lunch tomorrow.

Pigs in Zen

• Chico’s Bail Bonds
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2019, 09:23:53 pm »

Well, I started with too hot of a pan and set my smoke detectors off, but after I got that settled down, WOW.

Those are something special.  Even got some fancy buns to put it on.  Plus, I had some left over ground beef that I'll probably make these again out of for lunch tomorrow.

EH, super stoked for you and the Fam! If you set the smoke detectors off, then you did it right!! They are so simple yet so decadent... The crispy bits are just delicious, crunchy meat candy, I can’t wait to make these before the game tomorrow!

GroBer is killing it with the links. Can’t wait to try some of the Korean recipes above and those fiery Chinese dumplings.

I need drop some recipe links in here that are my “go to’s” as well... Lots of Sous Vide and wok links but a couple classics I think some of y’all will like too.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2019, 11:20:34 am »

I recommend a flat cast iron griddle to place over coals on the grill. The heat gets way way up there and you keep the smoke out of the house and you can cook more than one at a time.

Just a simple way to get the heat way way up without smoking the cat into another room. Also works really well for Mongolian BBQ.

EconHawg

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2019, 12:11:56 pm »

I recommend a flat cast iron griddle to place over coals on the grill. The heat gets way way up there and you keep the smoke out of the house and you can cook more than one at a time.

Just a simple way to get the heat way way up without smoking the cat into another room. Also works really well for Mongolian BBQ.

That's exactly what I'm going to do next time.  Probably tomorrow though instead of today.  I bought a 16×10 cast iron griddle a couple of months back and I use that thing all the time.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2019, 12:23:06 pm »

That's exactly what I'm going to do next time.  Probably tomorrow though instead of today.  I bought a 16×10 cast iron griddle a couple of months back and I use that thing all the time.

I’m looking for an upside down wok with a couple slits on the top that I can use over a Webber to cook Mongolian. . Don’t know if I will ever find one though.

EconHawg

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2019, 12:30:30 pm »

I’m looking for an upside down wok with a couple slits on the top that I can use over a Webber to cook Mongolian. . Don’t know if I will ever find one though.

If you're handy with a blow torch, a round blade off of an old farm disc makes a really great wok, and could probably be modified into what you're talking about here.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2019, 12:36:02 pm »

If you're handy with a blow torch, a round blade off of an old farm disc makes a really great wok, and could probably be modified into what you're talking about here.

Interesting.

Very interesting.

Boarcephus

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2019, 12:53:07 pm »

Did the same thing when I tried to blacken fish in the kitchen a few years ago.  Found out that day the smoke detector is connected not only to the security system but it doesn't have to be armed to send a note to the fire department.   :). I do all my blackening stuff outside on the egg in a cast iron skillet after that. 

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2019, 12:56:24 pm »

Here is a good one.

You can par cook and freeze if you want to make a triple or quadruple batch.

I use these a lot for individual pizzas. Kids like them, they are made with yeast and are crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2019, 01:34:04 pm »

This is pretty much my entertainment this weekend.

Down hard with conjunctivitis. Having to sleep on the couch, sanitizing my blanket every day. Can’t play with my kids like I normally do.

Sucks.

EconHawg

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2019, 01:53:07 pm »

This is pretty much my entertainment this weekend.

Down hard with conjunctivitis. Having to sleep on the couch, sanitizing my blanket every day. Can’t play with my kids like I normally do.

Sucks.

No bueno man.

I hear there's a baseball game on tonight though.

Could be worse, when we have calves get pink eye we throw a palm full of salt in their eye and super glue a piece of denim over it. By the time that falls off its good as new.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2019, 02:05:02 pm »

No bueno man.

I hear there's a baseball game on tonight though.

Could be worse, when we have calves get pink eye we throw a palm full of salt in their eye and super glue a piece of denim over it. By the time that falls off its good as new.

Yeah no.

I have to shower right after I wake up to unseal my eyelid. Drops ain’t doing squat. Probably gonna take the natural 10 days or so to get over it.

Hopefully I’m good by Monday.

Where you do your ranching at?

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2019, 02:07:18 pm »

However, I’m glad I can throw out some traditional recipes for you all.

Been all over the world and there are some recipes that my wife makes me cook.

Haven’t thrown out my favorite recipe for Huevos Rancheros

EconHawg

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2019, 02:10:42 pm »

Yeah no.

I have to shower right after I wake up to unseal my eyelid. Drops ain’t doing squat. Probably gonna take the natural 10 days or so to get over it.

Hopefully I’m good by Monday.

Where you do your ranching at?

My parents run cattle in Eastern OK, so I grew up in it.  I also worked on a big ranch in SW MO for a few years. 

I don't ranch anywhere myself ATM, but I'll get back in it after my fiance finishes up vet school. 

EconHawg

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2019, 02:11:26 pm »

However, I’m glad I can throw out some traditional recipes for you all.

Been all over the world and there are some recipes that my wife makes me cook.

Haven’t thrown out my favorite recipe for Huevos Rancheros

Now we're talkin

Pigs in Zen

• Chico’s Bail Bonds
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2019, 02:39:58 pm »

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 07:22:52 pm by Pigs in Zen »

EconHawg

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2019, 03:08:04 pm »

Just took it off.