• 10,355,257 Posts
• 409,707 Topics
• 23,417 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Who will be the go to Pitcher next season ?  (Read 2799 times)

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
Who will be the go to Pitcher next season ?
« on: June 11, 2019, 05:32:58 pm »

Who is going to be the next Campbell to step up? both freshmen have struggled at times. If we get good pitching , then we could be really good again next year and go to Omaha a 3rd time in a row

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I liked Big Mike but it was a lie
Re: Who will be the go to Pitcher next season ?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 05:35:17 pm »

Wiki.....watch his development between year one and two.

Noland if he decides to forget football and play some fall baseball

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hatleyville454

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 05:39:38 pm »

Wicklander...His stuff is already on the cusp of being elite. Add a little more Velo and command and he is your Ace for a couple of years.

Noland doesn't have quite as good stuff, but he does have a great mindset and good command. I also like that he has a lot of different pitches.

Very very good 1-2 punch considering both will be Sophomores

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 05:41:10 pm »

hope you are right . I like both of them. I just hope someone steps into the Role Campbell has , not only as a pitcher but as a leader

HogPharmer

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 05:41:55 pm »

Wicklander...His stuff is already on the cusp of being elite. Add a little more Velo and command and he is your Ace for a couple of years.

Noland doesn't have quite as good stuff, but he does have a great mindset and good command. I also like that he has a lot of different pitches.

Yep. Lot's of room for development. But you still have to love the exposure and experience they both got this year. There's not many teams with 2 weekend starter freshman pitchers who compete in Omaha. I think this post season has been, is, and will be huge for them moving forward.

Hatleyville454

• Varsity
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 05:49:44 pm »

Yep. Lot's of room for development. But you still have to love the exposure and experience they both got this year. There's not many teams with 2 weekend starter freshman pitchers who compete in Omaha. I think this post season has been, is, and will be huge for them moving forward.

And that's just starting pitchers. I also think Trest will have a huge year next year. He has a big time arm. I can easily see him taking over Kosty or Cronin's role for next years team

This Freshman class is full of potential. It's exciting. And DVH is bringing in more studs by the bus load every single year.

Andrew Hogfan

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 05:53:26 pm »

I was wondering about this today. Will Scroggins be back?

TebowHater

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 05:54:01 pm »

It will be very interesting to see how Bolden looks coming back.

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 05:54:50 pm »

can anyone who has seen the incoming freshmen play give some insight

ucahogfan

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 05:55:50 pm »

I was wondering about this today. Will Scroggins be back?
No.  He was drafted in the top 10 rounds and will sign.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 06:03:00 pm »

I'm hoping for the big time 1-2 punch from Noland and Wicklander. I'm pretty sure a good 3rd starter will emerge from the present staff or the newcomers. I'll be interested to see what Freshmen from this year return. After some early chances where most had severe control problems, they did not get much work.

rinds

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 06:24:50 pm »

It's going to be a nice discussion to have for 2 more years :).

AlmaHog2011

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 06:31:08 pm »

Wicklander has the stuff and has a good chance. Unless Connor focuses on baseball and can get his velo up a couple ticks he won't be a Friday or Saturday guy. His mindset and secondary pitches are good enough but he topped out against Ole Miss at 88. I thought earlier in the year he was reaching 92? Hope he just wore down but not sure he has the overall stuff to stay in the rotation with what DVH is and will be bringing in.

Trest was impressive with his velo and movement. Is he a bullpen only guy? We will need to get a lot of help from guys that aren't on this staff. Or haven't contributed.

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 06:31:59 pm »

No.  He was drafted in the top 10 rounds and will sign.

Scroggins has to leave but man he could be a Friday Night starter IMO.

SoCal Hog

• Varsity
  • Just a Hog fan living in exile in California...
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 06:34:51 pm »

Denton could also be quite a difference maker coming out of the bullpen because of his arm angle and the trajectory of the ball as it comes toward the plate. Trest could also be big time but I see him as a starter eventually.

hogdollar

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 06:44:51 pm »

I'm seeing a rotation of Wick, Noland possibly Kopps or maybe a freshman to get ready. With a bullpen of Trest, Burton, Ramage, Bolden, Henry and a couple freshman.

jry04

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 06:47:30 pm »

Wicklander has the stuff and has a good chance. Unless Connor focuses on baseball and can get his velo up a couple ticks he won't be a Friday or Saturday guy. His mindset and secondary pitches are good enough but he topped out against Ole Miss at 88. I thought earlier in the year he was reaching 92? Hope he just wore down but not sure he has the overall stuff to stay in the rotation with what DVH is and will be bringing in.

Trest was impressive with his velo and movement. Is he a bullpen only guy? We will need to get a lot of help from guys that aren't on this staff. Or haven't contributed.
Noland has 1 bad outing in like 6 weeks and now he doesn't have the stuff? He was a weekend starter nearly all year on a top 10 Omaha team, but he isn't a weekend guy next year when we lose our ace? He had a 3.70 ERA in 18 appearances entering the game Sunday as a freshman. His stuff isn't overpowering, but he definitely has the ability to be a very good SEC pitcher and eventually get drafted.

lakecityhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 06:49:22 pm »

Where does Denton fit in? Caden Monk or Evan Taylor as left-handers would be nice to see in the rotation.

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 06:52:22 pm »

Noland has 1 bad outing in like 6 weeks and now he doesn't have the stuff? He was a weekend starter nearly all year on a top 10 Omaha team, but he isn't a weekend guy next year when we lose our ace? He had a 3.70 ERA in 18 appearances entering the game Sunday as a freshman. His stuff isn't overpowering, but he definitely has the ability to be a very good SEC pitcher and eventually get drafted.

Dude I gave my opinion. I love the kid! IMO he doesn't have the stuff to be a Friday night starter. If he concentrates on baseball or adds a little velo maybe he could be a Friday Night starter.  Are you his mom? Geez no one is a bigger fan of the kid than me.

IMO velocity is very important and 88-89 is average at best. Hope I am wrong and he becomes another Campbel...He's also a freshman so reasonable expectations are that he will add velocity and get better so he has a great chance to be a good SEC Pitcher.

hoglady

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 06:53:08 pm »

Campbell last year didn't look like Campbell this year.
Got to hope Noland or Wicklander / or both make huge advances in the off season.

They are certainly getting valuable experience this year against the best hitting teams in the country.

ucahogfan

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 07:48:27 pm »

Also, let's take a look at this in a couple of weeks and enjoy the ride for Omaha.  We have a lot of potential on our staff moving forward, but we also have some studs who are going to carry us in Omaha.

ucahogfan

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 07:56:08 pm »

I'm seeing a rotation of Wick, Noland possibly Kopps or maybe a freshman to get ready. With a bullpen of Trest, Burton, Ramage, Bolden, Henry and a couple freshman.
Burton is definitely an arm to keep an eye on for next year along with Trest.  Both have big time velo up to 96-97 with nasty breaking balls.  Burton is definitely more of a 3 out reliever, but we could potentially stretch Trest out.

HogRob

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 08:05:25 pm »

Dude I gave my opinion. I love the kid! IMO he doesn't have the stuff to be a Friday night starter. If he concentrates on baseball or adds a little velo maybe he could be a Friday Night starter.  Are you his mom? Geez no one is a bigger fan of the kid than me.

IMO velocity is very important and 88-89 is average at best. Hope I am wrong and he becomes another Campbel...He's also a freshman so reasonable expectations are that he will add velocity and get better so he has a great chance to be a good SEC Pitcher.
He was hitting 92 in his last start. He just didn’t have it on Sunday. I don’t know if it was nerves or what but his normal velocity was not there.

Mr.Swine89

• Varsity
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 08:11:20 pm »

E. Taylor will surprise next year. I feel like Burton or Trest will take over the Closer role with the other becoming the long relief guy. Ramage will be the key. If he gets to where he can spot up the FB consistently, then he will be the 3rd starter.

Pudgepork

• Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2019, 09:33:27 pm »

Wick, Noland, Henry, Trest and Burton are safe and will have spots on the team.

Vermillion, bolden, ramage have experience but they will have to improve.

Monke, Sells got less chances than other frosh
Sanchez got none.....possibly sent juco\elsewhere for these 3?

There is new talent arriving next fall so young unproven guys better solidify a slot on the roster or they will exit left.

ucahogfan

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2019, 09:38:25 pm »

Wick, Noland, Henry, Trest and Burton are safe and will have spots on the team.

Vermillion, bolden, ramage have experience but they will have to improve.

Monke, Sells got less chances than other frosh
Sanchez got none.....possibly sent juco\elsewhere for these 3?

There is new talent arriving next fall so young unproven guys better solidify a slot on the roster or they will exit left.
What makes you say that Henry, Trest and Burton are safe while Vermillion, Bolden and Ramage are not?

Vermillion has been solid this year while Bolden has been injured.  Ramage has lost the zone with his fastball, but he could be a solid reliever.

Will also have Kopps and Denton back as well.

Pudgepork

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2019, 09:46:49 pm »

What makes you say that Henry, Trest and Burton are safe while Vermillion, Bolden and Ramage are not?

Vermillion has been solid this year while Bolden has been injured.  Ramage has lost the zone with his fastball, but he could be a solid reliever.

Sorry, thought Kopps was gone and forgot about Dento.

I guess i totally missed on Vermilion.  I thought hed been shaky and little used, same as ramage.  I put Bolden in the iffies because returning from that surgery isnt a sure thing.
I feel those 2, Ramage and Vermilion have had 2 yrs to become trusted, productive parts of the staff and better produce or new arms will edge them out.

BroyledNutts

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2019, 09:48:34 pm »

I think Kopps is one to keep an eye on for that 3rd starter position.
Ramage will step into Scroggins place and will anchor our long relief.
Denton will be our set up guy, our situational pitcher, and our sacrificial lamb when things go bad.
Watch Burton and Trest. Those two could become the first one-two closer punch we've had in I don't know how long. One of them could develop into long relief like Scroggins, Reindl, Loeske ....
Bolden will be rehabilitating most of next season - light use, mid-week use, unless DVH sees the signs he's ready.
Henry, Monke, Sells, Taylor(s), Vermillion, Sanchez will all battle for playing time - more than one in that group will move on after fall ball.

UCA, who was red shirted this year, and who is coming in, that could really impact our pitching staff?

philiphog

• Varsity
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2019, 09:49:11 pm »

I really hope Liam Henry is back and develops his control over the summer. He's really got a live arm.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2019, 09:52:01 pm »

I read his post as they are safe but need to improve.  Kind of weird to say though

He left off Denton too

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2019, 09:52:36 pm »

I really hope Liam Henry is back and develops his control over the summer. He's really got a live arm.

Liam Henry tell me about him?

Pudgepork

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2019, 09:53:28 pm »

Denton will be our set up guy, our situational pitcher, and our sacrificial lamb when things go bad.
Watch Burton and Trest. Those two could become the first one-two closer punch we've had in I don't know how long.

Henry, Monke, Sells, Taylor(s), Vermillion, Sanchez will all battle for playing time - more than one in that group will move on after fall ball.

UCA, who was red shirted this year, and who is coming in, that could really impact our pitching staff?

I remember phil and bubba talking about the class coming in.  They mentioned that there is some real talented arms in that class.  If so, somebody has to move on to give them a spot. 

ucahogfan

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2019, 09:57:04 pm »

Watch Burton and Trest. Those two could become the first one-two closer punch we've had in I don't know how long.
Bolden will be rehabilitating most of next season - light use, mid-week use, unless DVH sees the signs he's ready.

Kopps would be such a safety net in our pen.  He was our second best reliever in 2017 before TJ and has been right there with Scroggins for the third best reliever this year.

Bolden should be ready to go all out by the time the 2020 season rolls around.  I believe he had his TJ surgery late in 2018 so we will be 14-15 months out once the season begins.

I am excited to see how Trest and Burton progress.  Both are going to need to throw more strikes, but the raw stuff is really, really good.  I also wouldn't rule out Taylor taking a leap as well.

As far as incoming pitchers, Blake Adams is probably the guy most likely to start.  He has been a fixture in NWA for a while.  Doesn't have elite velo, but you never know what happens once Hobbs and Kinsey start working with him.  Evan Gray has seen a huge velo bump in the last year and has the frame to eventually be topping out 97-98.  Kevin Heinrich will have that South Florida polish.  Zach Morris has a high ceiling as a LHP who has hit 93 in the past.  Trey Valka is another name I have heard that could contribute immediately as well.  A lot to like about the incoming pitchers and see how they develop.

Pudgepork

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2019, 09:59:52 pm »

I read his post as they are safe but need to improve.  Kind of weird to say though

He left off Denton too

Im thinking of it this way, you have a couple of guys who have been here awhile but they have problems throwing strikes or missing bats( i did see this said of 1 of the 2 guys this year), and the new class has 5 wicklanders.  Somebody had better improve or lose a spot. 

BroyledNutts

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2019, 09:59:56 pm »

Thanks UCA ... I haven't kept up with the incoming class very well.
If one of these new freshmen can step up and be the third starter, a long relief tandem of Ramage and Kopps would really anchor the bullpen ... I'd like to see Vermillion in this role as well, but I worry about his development.
Sounds like there will be very stiff competition for limited spots. It will be interesting to see who makes it, who moves on, and who gets the redshirt ...

Who will be the new Fire Breathing Dragon closer?

ucahogfan

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2019, 10:03:08 pm »

While velo is important, pitching at the right velo is more important.

Let's just say Noland can hit 96, but it is straight as an arrow and gets lit up.  Is that his most effective velo?  Or could it be the low 90s where he sinks it or cuts it and draws weak contact?  With how analytics such as spin rate is becoming much more in vogue, it allows pitching coaches to optimize pitchers to be their most effective.  Not saying that is where Noland is sitting now, but just being used as an example.

Also, Noland also has two very effective breaking pitches that he can throw at any time.  We have also seen several pitchers be very successful in the SEC without elite velo.  Ethan Small works 89-92, but has dominated SEC hitters this year.

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2019, 10:19:39 pm »

While velo is important, pitching at the right velo is more important.

Let's just say Noland can hit 96, but it is straight as an arrow and gets lit up.  Is that his most effective velo?  Or could it be the low 90s where he sinks it or cuts it and draws weak contact?  With how analytics such as spin rate is becoming much more in vogue, it allows pitching coaches to optimize pitchers to be their most effective.  Not saying that is where Noland is sitting now, but just being used as an example.

Also, Noland also has two very effective breaking pitches that he can throw at any time.  We have also seen several pitchers be very successful in the SEC without elite velo.  Ethan Small works 89-92, but has dominated SEC hitters this year.

I understand everything you are saying. Time will tell. I hope you are right and he can dominate at 88-89 he is a freshman. We will see.

rinds

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2019, 10:24:01 pm »

Liam Henry tell me about him?

Velo 88 to 92, Curve and change up. Left handed so that's always good. Raw I would say but has shown some promise this year a couple of outings that I have seen. He will be in the mix somewhere if I where to guess say midweek starter then middle reliever.   

jacketsting

• Varsity
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2019, 11:31:45 pm »

Kopps would be such a safety net in our pen.  He was our second best reliever in 2017 before TJ and has been right there with Scroggins for the third best reliever this year.

Bolden should be ready to go all out by the time the 2020 season rolls around.  I believe he had his TJ surgery late in 2018 so we will be 14-15 months out once the season begins.

I am excited to see how Trest and Burton progress.  Both are going to need to throw more strikes, but the raw stuff is really, really good.  I also wouldn't rule out Taylor taking a leap as well.

As far as incoming pitchers, Blake Adams is probably the guy most likely to start.  He has been a fixture in NWA for a while.  Doesn't have elite velo, but you never know what happens once Hobbs and Kinsey start working with him.  Evan Gray has seen a huge velo bump in the last year and has the frame to eventually be topping out 97-98.  Kevin Heinrich will have that South Florida polish.  Zach Morris has a high ceiling as a LHP who has hit 93 in the past.  Trey Valka is another name I have heard that could contribute immediately as well.  A lot to like about the incoming pitchers and see how they develop.
Blake Adams was hitting 93 mph in 2018 according to perfect game.

PorkRyan

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2019, 11:52:38 pm »

Next years ace will be a grad transfer. 

dotnet

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2019, 05:56:44 am »

You and your cryptic messages...

If that works out... and there is the normal development of returnees.... next years pitching staff can be as dominant as this one

ucahogfan

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2019, 06:48:41 am »

Velo 88 to 92, Curve and change up. Left handed so that's always good. Raw I would say but has shown some promise this year a couple of outings that I have seen. He will be in the mix somewhere if I where to guess say midweek starter then middle reliever.
He has mainly been 88-90 this year, but he has some natural cut to his fastball so it plays up.  The curve is also huge and is a swing and miss pitch.  He can definitely be an asset moving forward as a lefty specialist at worst.

The biggest thing for him, along with all non-Connor Noland freshmen on this team, is improving his command.  He has walked 8 hitters in 8.1 IP.  Even cutting that walk rate in half will do him wonders.  Let alone cutting it down to 2.5 - 3.0 per nine.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2019, 07:38:44 am »

I understand everything you are saying. Time will tell. I hope you are right and he can dominate at 88-89 he is a freshman. We will see.

There is a blend of the opinions to be good, IMO.  He won’t sit 88-89 throughout his career.  I think you will see him grow into sitting 91-93.  He is a freshman who has never played this much this long.  His arm will see tremendous bump in strength from now to next season. 

jackflash

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2019, 08:06:30 am »

Dave will find whatever he needs. for me his recruiting getting better and better

gmarv

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2019, 08:28:30 am »

The old saying use to be. The best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores (or something like that). Nolan and Wick will both be better next year you would expect them both to go deeper into games on a regular basis.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2019, 08:53:30 am »

That's interesting.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Dude I was the cool guy back in 76 look at me now
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2019, 08:53:47 am »

This thread horrifies me. It reminds me of that day in Austin, we had already handled the Whorns quite easily the day before and DVH decided to throw all of the youngsters. I get that, against any other team besides Texas. Anyway, what I witnessed the second game of the two day set between the Hogs and Whorns was a surrealistic nightmare of walks. "Ball one, Ball four, Ball 8, Ball 12" and so on, it didn't stop there. We had a lead of 5-2 with the game firmly in hand with Marshall Denton pitching. Then came the never ending parade of DVH walking to the mound, tossing his Catawba worm on a hook and pulling another freshman out of the kiddie pool to the mound. I'm not going to mention names but I was thinking at the time, "let's do this, if we must, against La Tech, not UT at Austin". The satisfied look on the UT fans who actually believed they mounted this great comeback on talent alone was enough to make me reach for the Alka Seltzer indigestion container. All that to say this, based on what I witnessed on Day 2 at Austin has me frightened to the point of shaking uncontrollably once we get past Wick, Connor, Denton and maybe Trest.

oldhawg

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2019, 09:01:09 am »

Not thinking about next year yet ---- plenty of time in the off season to worry about that and discuss the possibilities.

Win or lose, am going to enjoy this year's CWS.  What a great year this has been for Razorback fans.

Razrpig256

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2019, 09:01:45 am »

This thread horrifies me. It reminds me of that day in Austin, we had already handled the Whorns quite easily the day before and DVH decided to throw all of the youngsters. I get that, against any other team besides Texas. Anyway, what I witnessed the second game of the two day set between the Hogs and Whorns was a surrealistic nightmare of walks. "Ball one, Ball four, Ball 8, Ball 12" and so on, it didn't stop there. We had a lead of 5-2 with the game firmly in hand with Marshall Denton pitching. Then came the never ending parade of DVH walking to the mound, tossing his Catawba worm on a hook and pulling another freshman out of the kiddie pool to the mound. I'm not going to mention names but I was thinking at the time, "let's do this, if we must, against La Tech, not UT at Austin". The satisfied look on the UT fans who actually believed they mounted this great comeback on talent alone was enough to make me reach for the Alka Seltzer indigestion container. All that to say this, based on what I witnessed on Day 2 at Austin has me frightened to the point of shaking uncontrollably once we get past Wick, Connor, Denton and maybe Trest.

You have no faith in Kopps, Ramage, or Vermillion to throw strikes? You also believe there will be no development with Burton or any other young guys or talented freshmen like Adams coming in next year? We will be fine.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Dude I was the cool guy back in 76 look at me now
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2019, 09:06:47 am »

You have no faith in Kopps, Ramage, or Vermillion to throw strikes? You also believe there will be no development with Burton or any other young guys or talented freshmen like Adams coming in next year? We will be fine.
Kopps and Ramage are legit. I didn't know they were coming back. I don't have a list of who is and who is not coming back or will be invited back. All that sticks out is that one horrific day in Austin, TX when several of our frosh were consistently throwing pitches at least 5 feet wide, so high the catcher had no shot to even get a glove on it and only God knows what fears were in the heart of the Ump calling balls and strikes. That was one game I wished Perry Costello had been behind the plate and a few balls would have ricocheted off of Perry's dome protector.

I have faith in DVH. That is all I'm going to say. The man is a witch. Has to be.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas