• 10,398,838 Posts
• 411,027 Topics
• 23,491 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hestons homerun  (Read 3931 times)

gmarv

Hestons homerun
« on: June 11, 2019, 12:13:33 pm »

Has anybody heard how far that thing traveled or are they still waiting for it to land ?  ;D ;D

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
Re: Hestons homerun
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 12:15:19 pm »

Best thing about it was the Ole Miss right fielder's reaction to it.  Didn't move.  Didn't turn around.  Stood like a statue facing the infield.  It was the king of the no-doubter homer and he knew it.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HogPharmer

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 12:15:32 pm »

Supposedly 398 feet. No way it was only 398 IMO. That thing may still be flying.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 12:16:13 pm »

Has anybody heard how far that thing traveled or are they still waiting for it to land ?  ;D ;D

All I know is It knocked out my Direct TV feed for hours!   ;)

TeufelHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Never Forget, Never Yield!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 12:29:38 pm »

I watched that replay about 10 times yesterday and never actually saw the ball come down over the fence.  Normally you can see the balls full trajectory.  Did it reach/go over the road?

Not kidding.  Could not pick up the balls descent on TV.

sevenof400

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Is it too late to remember what was best in life?
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 12:32:08 pm »

Rumor has it there was a stewardess on board...
Not confirmed though..

Pigonometry

• Senior
  • I'm a Razorback Realist
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 12:33:38 pm »

Has it come down yet?

dethnode

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 12:34:13 pm »

I live in jonesboro, I was wondering where the baseball in pool this morning came from...

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 12:34:52 pm »

Has it come down yet?

No vetted confirmation at this time.

HogPharmer

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 12:37:48 pm »

Not confirmed though..

That ball was in the air so long they had time to pass out peanuts, sodas, and show a movie during the flight.

Hawgzinbowlz

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 12:40:50 pm »

Looking forward to Heston facing pitchers that are not familiar with him...Even with the wind coming in from the river Kjerstad will get it out of TD Ameritrade...along with other Hogs.

" GO OMAHOGS "

bosshog84

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 12:41:47 pm »

Supposedly 398 feet. No way it was only 398 IMO. That thing may still be flying.

Nope. There's no way that ball only landed 75 feet beyond the fence. I would believe 498 before I believed 398.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 12:42:27 pm »

Not confirmed though..

Maybe the Ole Miss catcher got tired of the pitcher shaking him off.

311Hog

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 12:45:07 pm »

Nope. There's no way that ball only landed 75 feet beyond the fence. I would believe 498 before I believed 398.

same

i think Optiz homer was 398 but Heston's was a bomb i never saw hit the ground. It might have disintegrated upon contact

HBTHogs

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 01:09:14 pm »

It came down behind that tree that the camera was pointed at, barely had time to see it coming down.  Could see it just to the right of the tree branches when it landed, few feet short of that back fence.

EconHawg

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 01:10:53 pm »

same

i think Optiz homer was 398 but Heston's was a bomb i never saw hit the ground. It might have disintegrated upon contact

This was my suspicion as well. It disappeared as soon as he hit it.

duck slayer

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 01:13:09 pm »

It just hit Fred Talley in the back of the head down on the planes to finally end that nightmare for the war eagle.

BroyledNutts

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 01:14:22 pm »

I watched that replay about 10 times yesterday and never actually saw the ball come down over the fence.  Normally you can see the balls full trajectory.  Did it reach/go over the road?

Not kidding.  Could not pick up the balls descent on TV.

I watched it hit ... it landed on the outer bank, on the west end of Norm's lagoon, it that really tall growth along the edge. The only one longer this whole weekend was Kessinger's mammoth - it cleared the lagoon and landed about 4 feet from the outer fence.

EconHawg

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 01:19:16 pm »

It landed right behind Ned Stark as he is heading up into the tower to see his sister giving birth (in Bran's vision). That's what Ned turned around to look at.

EastexHawg

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 01:30:30 pm »

Best thing about it was the Ole Miss right fielder's reaction to it.  Didn't move.  Didn't turn around.  Stood like a statue facing the infield.  It was the king of the no-doubter homer and he knew it.

By the time I was 18 and playing Dixie League I only played one game in the outfield all year.  That was because all our pitchers had thrown too many innings so we had to pitch our 3B and the lineup got shuffled around.  There was a guy who was a couple of years younger than me who ended up going to Houston on a football scholarship.  He was already a local legend and had been since Little League, when he used to regularly hit 3-4 homers a game.

The park in which we played was supposedly the biggest in Texas, an old minor league stadium.  It was 330 down the lines and closer to 400 in the alleys.  I was playing deep in left field when he hit one my way.  I took half a step back and then just watched it.  The ball cleared not only the fence but also the front line of pine trees behind it.  It had to have been well over 400 feet...hit by a 16 year old.

HamIAm

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 01:32:07 pm »

It just hit Fred Talley in the back of the head down on the planes to finally end that nightmare for the war eagle.

Talley got up and rubbed some dirt on it, he's still running.

EconHawg

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 01:33:22 pm »

By the time I was 18 and playing Dixie League I only played one game in the outfield all year.  That was because all our pitchers had thrown too many innings so we had to pitch our 3B and the lineup got shuffled around.  There was a guy who was a couple of years younger than me who ended up going to Houston on a football scholarship.  He was already a local legend and had been since Little League, when he used to regularly hit 3-4 homers a game.

The park in which we played was supposedly the biggest in Texas, an old minor league stadium.  It was 330 down the lines and closer to 400 in the alleys.  I was playing deep in left field when he hit one my way.  I took half a step back and then just watched it.  The ball cleared not only the fence but also the front line of pine trees behind it.  It had to have been well over 400 feet...hit by a 16 year old.

I'm guessing you were trying to say 1st row of pine trees?

It censors that phrase here if you spell out the word first. No idea why.

I do like your story also.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 02:02:41 pm »

Sounds very much like when we played Sylvan Hills in Legion ball back in the day.  It was worth the price of admission for us just to watch Kevin McReynolds' home runs.  We played on a small field and I swear some of the ones he hit at our place would have cleared double the distance of our fence.

Hairofthepig

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 04:27:01 pm »

If the first hand account is accurate of the ball landing on the outer bank of the lagoon, Google Earth Pro measures that distance as 513 Feet......   I tried to copy the map but was unable to do so.  However, I've found in my work that Google Earth Pro is extemenly accurate.
Wow.

PORKULATOR

• knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2019, 06:02:51 pm »

that was the whole team that did that the first baseman just saw it come off the bat and put his head down, and the Pitcher said a dirty word

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2019, 06:04:49 pm »

I think the ball finally came down and struck the Ole Miss bus after they left Baum.

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2019, 06:16:37 pm »

I think the ball finally came down and struck the Ole Miss bus after they left Baum.
Hit Mike Bianco square in the arse...

greenEGnHAWGS

• Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2019, 07:08:40 pm »

Speaking of Homeruns...how many balls did we hit that landed on the warning track? I seem to remember at LEAST 2-3. We blew them out, but it COULD have been much worse still.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2019, 08:58:22 pm »

Kjerstad had quite the game.
First two at-bats were doubles.
Third trip was the colossal home run.
Fourth trip was a sac fly to deep left-center. It was tagged hard also.

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2019, 09:00:05 pm »

It may have hit the Interstate....

pigachu

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2019, 10:34:46 pm »

It made Brad Lidge have a painful flashback

spdhog

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2019, 10:52:13 pm »

I was at the game, seated along the 3rd base line, so I had a perfect view. I don’t know that I’ve seen a ball hit further in person. I know I sure never came close in my playing days, nor did anyone I ever played with or against.

I followed it the whole way and just caught a glimpse of it coming down. Just a glimpse, so it was hard for me to tell where it landed. From that position, I can normally tell approximately where it landed, but this one was different. That ball was so far out that it was just a blur on its way down. I think one of the pine trees shielded it on the tv view, which is deceptive because it was WAY beyond the trees.

396 feet is a very unfortunate underestimation. 396 would be warning track power in center. That ball would’ve cleared the batters eye in center by a long way!

Godfather

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2019, 11:27:46 pm »

It landed about 10’ behind the visitor bullpen.  I was out near the foul pole.   Was a rocket but not some monster 425+ shot.   Glad he got ahold of one again though!

MissippHog

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2019, 07:38:14 am »

It landed about 10’ behind the visitor bullpen.  I was out near the foul pole.   Was a rocket but not some monster 425+ shot.   Glad he got ahold of one again though!

So that would put it at 370 feet?  I didn't even have to be there to tell you I don't believe that.  That ball was crushed.

Tejano Jawg

• Ram Jam!
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2019, 09:31:07 am »

I don't know either, but I did see this flight crew on board if that tells you anything.

bigred223

• Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2019, 09:38:47 am »

Not calling you a liar, but it seems like that would have been visible on tv had it fallen just behind the bullpen. Hard to believe that wouldn’t have even hit the warning track in center field.

gmarv

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2019, 09:54:53 am »

Not calling you a liar, but it seems like that would have been visible on tv had it fallen just behind the bullpen. Hard to believe that wouldn’t have even hit the warning track in center field.
That thing would of had no problem leaving the field in any part of the field period.

EastexHawg

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2019, 03:03:08 pm »

Off the top of my head I can think of three mammoth home runs I have seen.  Reggie Jackson blasted a rocket off Dock Ellis in the 1971 All-Star Game that would have flown completely out of Tiger Stadium if it hadn't hit high on one of the light fixtures attached to the roof.  It was one of those shots that seemingly only Reggie could hit.

Dave Kingman hit a ball completely out of Wrigley Field, across the street, and up against the door of a multiple story building on the other side of it.  As I recall the resident came to the door because he thought someone had knocked.

I think it was Jose Canseco who hit one into the fifth deck at the Sky Dome in Toronto.  That was a moon shot, but Mark McGwire said it wasn't even among Canseco's longest home runs.

The Albert Pujols shot against Brad Lidge was as no doubt as they come.  Even as an Astros fan I enjoyed his description of it.  The stadium had been deafeningly loud until the bat contacted that ball, but Pujols said it was so quiet he could hear the dirt crunch under his spikes as he rounded the bases.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2019, 03:06:14 pm »

Yes.  398 means it would have hit the center field wall.  No way.

seasonhog

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2019, 05:25:15 pm »

They found the ball in AMARILLO ….

sevenof400

• Is it too late to remember what was best in life?
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2019, 06:01:56 pm »

They found the ball in AMARILLO ….

...by morning.

MissippHog

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2019, 11:27:21 pm »

The Albert Pujols shot against Brad Lidge was as no doubt as they come.  Even as an Astros fan I enjoyed his description of it.  The stadium had been deafeningly loud until the bat contacted that ball, but Pujols said it was so quiet he could hear the dirt crunch under his spikes as he rounded the bases.

"If you look to the left, you can see Albert Pujols' home run ball."  That was what the pilot said over the intercom as the Astros were flying back STL.  IIRC, I believe Brad Ausmus convinced the pilot to say it. 

hawg66

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2019, 06:15:09 am »

The shot by Reggie Jackson was the biggest I’ve seen. Estimated at anywhere from 540 to over 600

southeasthog

• Resident Inspector
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2019, 07:32:52 am »

Dave Kingman hit a ball completely out of Wrigley Field, across the street, and up against the door of a multiple story building on the other side of it.  As I recall the resident came to the door because he thought someone had knocked.

Glen Allen Hill (I think) also hit one out of Wrigley when he played for the Cubs that one hopped the building across the street.

Edit. He actually hit one onto the roof across the street.

https://youtu.be/7wDrw76ieTs

gmarv

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2019, 02:50:20 pm »

I have watched the dang video several times,done it frame by frame a couple of times and I never did see the ball. Has anybody actually seen it on tv?

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2019, 03:15:21 pm »

In the late 1980's, I worked as a scorekeeper for a national 13-14 year old baseball tournament that was held at Regional Park in Pine Bluff. (I believe it was a Dizzy Dean World Series.) They built mounds on the softball fields for the tourney, but the fences were still only 300 feet. There were a lot of homers that weekend. But there was one kid from the Cincinnati team that was just crushing it. He was hitting balls over the fence, over the row of cars parked behind the fence, over the street and over the backstops of the practice fields across the street. He probably hit 8 of those. Well over 400' if not 450' at 14 years old. I made a note to remember his name in case he became a star, because he certainly was that weekend. I don't remember his first name (maybe David?) but his last name was Pate. I never did see him on any rosters or anything, so I wonder what happened to him. He would be in his mid to late 40's now.

BTW that Cincy team lost the championship to Memphis in walk-off fashion. The Cincy coach acted like a little "B" that night.

RaisinHog

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2019, 05:07:23 pm »

Off the top of my head I can think of three mammoth home runs I have seen.  Reggie Jackson blasted a rocket off Dock Ellis in the 1971 All-Star Game that would have flown completely out of Tiger Stadium if it hadn't hit high on one of the light fixtures attached to the roof.  It was one of those shots that seemingly only Reggie could hit.

I think it was Jose Canseco who hit one into the fifth deck at the Sky Dome in Toronto.  That was a moon shot, but Mark McGwire said it wasn't even among Canseco's longest home runs.

I was at Busch stadium 2 when big Mac hit the longest home run hit in that stadium .. they put a band aid up where it hit off the front of the upper deck .. another interesting fact about that game was mike Piazza had been traded to the Marlin's for about 3 days and I got to watch him pinch hit
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas