• 10,355,269 Posts
• 409,707 Topics
• 23,417 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bracket outlook  (Read 2966 times)

dethnode

Bracket outlook
« on: June 11, 2019, 09:37:13 am »

I know, you never look ahead of any team, but with Campbell on the mound, I feel good about our chances vs FSU.  That said, who do we match up better against Texas Tech or Michigan?  Obviously, we hope for a blowout against FSU that favors the good guys, and a 24 inning 12 pitchers used game between tech and michigan, but realistically, which of the two is more of a threat?

thebignasty

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
Re: Bracket outlook
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 09:39:15 am »

I know, you never look ahead of any team, but with Campbell on the mound, I feel good about our chances vs FSU.  That said, who do we match up better against Texas Tech or Michigan?  Obviously, we hope for a blowout against FSU that favors the good guys, and a 24 inning 12 pitchers used game between tech and michigan, but realistically, which of the two is more of a threat?
Michigan has a stud ace, but I don't think they have much else after that.  If we beat FSU, and Michigan throws their ace in game, 1, I think we will see them in game 2, and I think that's a pretty good match up for us.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

navyhog24

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 10:37:20 am »

It depends on who FSU starts. If FSU starts Parrish, a craft lefty, the game could be close. I never feel good about facing crafty lefties. If they start a RHP named Van Eyk, I like our chances. He's a freshman and seems to be their workhorse. He also started Game 1 against LSU.

311Hog

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 10:39:27 am »

It depends on who FSU starts. If FSU starts Parrish, a craft lefty, the game could be close. I never feel good about facing crafty lefties. If they start a RHP named Van Eyk, I like our chances. He's a freshman and seems to be their workhorse. He also started Game 1 against LSU.

i am with you i pray for a RHP =) and that the emotion of the past 2 weekends for FSU finally runs out .

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 12:21:26 pm »

We really couldn't have gotten a better bracket.  Two of the proverbial "last teams in" (Michigan, FSU), and an old conference foe with which we've had very recent success.  Let our SEC brethren wear each other out on the other side, and we'll be waiting for whichever one is left standing, battered and bruised.

hawg66

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 12:26:49 pm »

Michigan looks like a dangerous team offensively.

dethnode

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 12:33:02 pm »

Michigan looks like a dangerous team offensively.

I agree, they have a lot of speed on that team

311Hog

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 12:35:18 pm »

Imho the 2 teams with the most interesting "stories" play each other in Game 2 that is us and FSU.  Because of last year for us and because of Martin and their history in the past.  Gotta think the pressure catches up to FSU at least i hope it does.

bulldog04

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 12:47:17 pm »

I agree, they have a lot of speed on that team

We have Opitz

navyhog24

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 12:49:22 pm »

BroyledNutts

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 01:01:17 pm »

Texas Tech can pitch, and they can hit, but lately they've relied way too much on the long ball for offense. That won't play well in TDA ...
Michigan can also hit, but their offense is predicated a lot on small ball - bunts, sacs, gap hitting; they do have power, but TDA ...
Florida State is the most complete team we'll face on our side of the bracket. They have good starters, they have a good bullpen; they can hit for average and power; plus, they have 11 ...their Achilles heel has been fielding - they can kick it around some.

Tech and Michigan will throw their staff ace at each other - I think that game might come down to the last one to score, or the team who doesn't get the yips from being in Omaha - advantage Tech.
The Seminoles will give us a tough test. They will hold their own. The key to winning against them is getting into their bullpen very early.

If we can get into the winner's bracket we will have a definite advantage, with our bullpen depth, and playing every other day, which helps to rest relievers. Michigan in the winner's bracket will have to rely on hitting to advance. Tech in the winner's bracket will have some pitching left, but will also rely on offense, as their bullpen has been their weakness. I really think we'll have the dubious honor of ending Mike Martin's career on Friday, and that team will play like mad men to prevent it. Our bracket may look easier on paper, but their are sand traps in it that can send Arkansas home if they don't play well.

HogPharmer

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 01:10:25 pm »

FSU was just happy to carry the streak of MAKING the tournament into Martin's final year. Although they undoubtedly want to win it all, I think they should definitely be happy with where they are now considering they were potentially looking at not even going to a regional just a couple weeks ago. It's time to politely send them home and take care of business. We've certainly got some unfinished business of our own after last season.

#RevengeTour2ꓘ19

N HOG

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 01:16:04 pm »

We have Opitz

I didn't see anything this weekend to cause me to believe Johnson deserved the SEC all-defensive team over Opitz.

micali

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 01:18:46 pm »

Not really concerned. We've seen the best teams already and we've beat the best. We are tested and ready for whomever they throw.

HogPharmer

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 01:23:23 pm »

Not really concerned. We've seen the best teams already and we've beat the best. We are tested and ready for whomever they throw.

At the end of the day, this is the most important piece of information going into any game.

We've been battling the gauntlet since March 15th. There is not reason to be intimidated going into Omaha. We shouldn't underestimate any team and should respect the abilities of everyone in the tournament. But at the end of the day, we won't be playing anyone better than who we've already played (and beaten!).

Supermark101

• Hogvillian
  • We all need a little Love
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 02:19:31 pm »

I'd rather play Michigan. Tech's bats scare me, if Nolan isn't good Nolan.

IS IT SATURDAY YET

bighog2255

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 02:22:45 pm »

Van Eyk started Game 2 against LSU. Parrish is their #1 guy, and has been all season. I don't see any reason they change it, especially with our lefty/righty splits.

Rambo Hog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 02:57:05 pm »

Why is it we struggle against the slow throwing lefty with a high ERA who throws mostly junk but  we usually hit the ace lefty with fast stuff.   

NATEHOGG216

• All-American Hogvillian
  • now thats a hog fan
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 03:35:56 pm »

Why is it we struggle against the slow throwing lefty with a high ERA who throws mostly junk but  we usually hit the ace lefty with fast stuff.   

Because we are aggressive and want to hit. We make good swings on strikes but people who throw junk get us to swing at it.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 03:48:10 pm »

It isn't necessarily slow throwing lefties, its the crafty ones who can change speeds.  If a guy throws a 88-91 mph fastball and can get corners or just outside called strikes, if he has a decent curve AND third pitch probably changeup, he is very difficult to hit for the best of hitters. 

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 03:55:42 pm »

We really couldn't have gotten a better bracket.  Two of the proverbial "last teams in" (Michigan, FSU), and an old conference foe with which we've had very recent success.  Let our SEC brethren wear each other out on the other side, and we'll be waiting for whichever one is left standing, battered and bruised.

A bracket of the Hogs, Michigan, Texas Tech, and Florida State is a very tough bracket.  All 4 teams in that bracket are capable of winning it all.  Wouldn't be surprising if the games in that bracket are doozy nail biter games, perhaps some extra innings games.

I really don't see Louisville beating Vanderbilt, and I really don't see Auburn beating Mississippi State.  Therefore, as I see it only 2 teams in that bracket are capable of winning it all.

Supermark101

• Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 04:03:07 pm »

A bracket of the Hogs, Michigan, Texas Tech, and Florida State is a very tough bracket.  All 4 teams in that bracket are capable of winning it all.  Wouldn't be surprising if the games in that bracket are doozy nail biter games, perhaps some extra innings games.

I really don't see Louisville beating Vanderbilt, and I really don't see Auburn beating Mississippi State.  Therefore, as I see it only 2 teams in that bracket are capable of winning it all.

Louisville is playing as well as anyone in the country. They can beat Vandy, especially if they play like game 1 and 2 against Duke.

EconHawg

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 04:10:45 pm »

Louisville is playing as well as anyone in the country. They can beat Vandy, especially if they play like game 1 and 2 against Duke.

They sure lit up a good East Carolina team two games in a row this past weekend too. Beat them 14-1 and 12-0 to get to Omaha.

Vanderbilt is really good, almost certainly better than Louisville, but Louisville is really good too. Can't overlook anybody, particularly anyone good enough to make it to Omaha.

panhandlepig

• don't worry about a thing
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 04:20:00 pm »

These 8 teams are the last men standing.  It was a grueling season and a long grind whith more to come.

Anybody can beat anybody at this point. Thats baseball.

Go HOGS!

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2019, 04:35:13 pm »

Vanderbilt didn't play well in game 1 against Duke.  In games 2 and 3 Duke had no chance against Vanderbilt.

For Louisville to win it will take Vanderbilt not playing well.  What are the chances that Vanderbilt won't play well?  That game 1 against Duke may have been a wake-up call for Vanderbilt.  Doubtful Louisville will be facing a Vanderbilt that does not play well.

Supermark101

• Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2019, 04:55:15 pm »

Vanderbilt didn't play well in game 1 against Duke.  In games 2 and 3 Duke had no chance against Vanderbilt.

For Louisville to win it will take Vanderbilt not playing well.  What are the chances that Vanderbilt won't play well?  That game 1 against Duke may have been a wake-up call for Vanderbilt.  Doubtful Louisville will be facing a Vanderbilt that does not play well.

Vandy is sitting at home if Duke is more patient at the plate. They had no answer for Duke's pitchers change up, in game 2. Louisville wouldn't make it so easy for Rocker.

Cornfed Pig

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2019, 05:57:16 pm »

Any possible scenario where we see Campbell twice before the finals?  I don't see it, unless we go full Auburn in the 1st inning against FSU. And I guess not even then since the goal will likely be to keep the pen as fresh as possible.   

Hogarusa

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2019, 06:03:06 pm »

Any possible scenario where we see Campbell twice before the finals?  I don't see it, unless we go full Auburn in the 1st inning against FSU. And I guess not even then since the goal will likely be to keep the pen as fresh as possible.   

Would think Campbell would start Saturday and the following Friday before to give Hogs a chance to make finals.

Hogarusa

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2019, 06:05:03 pm »

Vandy is sitting at home if Duke is more patient at the plate. They had no answer for Duke's pitchers change up, in game 2. Louisville wouldn't make it so easy for Rocker.

No chance Duke was coming anywhere close to beating Vandy in game 2. He could have struck out 9 instead of 19

bulldog04

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2019, 06:07:00 pm »

If we get in the loser's bracket Campbell will have to pitch again and will make him unavailable to start in the championship series unless it's in game 3.  That's what I've seen happen in the past

Cornfed Pig

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2019, 06:11:52 pm »

Would think Campbell would start Saturday and the following Friday before to give Hogs a chance to make finals.

Hmm, he'd only have 2 days rest for finals game 1, 3 for game 2

Cornfed Pig

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2019, 06:14:01 pm »

If we get in the loser's bracket Campbell will have to pitch again and will make him unavailable to start in the championship series unless it's in game 3.  That's what I've seen happen in the past

Yeah that makes sense - hopefully whoever comes out of Bracket 2 will have to play Thursday, Friday and Saturday before the finals, and hopefully we're waiting for them  ;D

RazrRila99

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2019, 06:18:31 pm »

Any chance Bryce Bonnin pitches against us should we meet TTech?  If I remember correctly, this was another case of "I know better than coach" after last season. 

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2019, 06:22:06 pm »

Any chance Bryce Bonnin pitches against us should we meet TTech?  If I remember correctly, this was another case of "I know better than coach" after last season.
No.

This was a case of, "You need to go to JuCo and develop".

RazrRila99

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2019, 06:27:38 pm »

No.

Thanks, I just saw him pitching over the weekend and thought there might be an interesting understory there.  I knew he pitched for us last year, even a little in the CWS (less than an inning in the CWS) and then he left after season landing at TTech. 

Supermark101

• Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2019, 06:33:01 pm »

No chance Duke was coming anywhere close to beating Vandy in game 2. He could have struck out 9 instead of 19

If 5 of those 10 non strike outs turn to hits with a couple walks, they absolutely could've. Rocker wouldn't have gone 9 either on that snerrio. Vandy only scored 3, 2 in the 8th.

Finals start Monday though. Even in a game 3 situation on Wednesday that is very short rest. Assuming we stay in the winners bracket. Your #3 goes on Friday and use Campbell on the if necessary game Saturday.

No.

I have a filling it was more a 11.7 limit deal than anything, but I have no inside info or anything.

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2019, 06:44:15 pm »

I didn't see anything this weekend to cause me to believe Johnson deserved the SEC all-defensive team over Opitz.

Johnson is not better defensively than Opitz. I would put his defense and his throwing against anybody in college baseball anywhere. And that kid is a good clutch hitter.

Opitz will throw their speed out if they try to steal on him!!!

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2019, 06:46:11 pm »

I think I remember DVH commenting that he wanted to be a starter and he didn't see that happening here.

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2019, 06:47:20 pm »

I think Ole Miss could have been here if they were sent at several of the other sites. They would have come out of that Lubbock super.

ucahogfan

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2019, 07:46:05 pm »

If 5 of those 10 non strike outs turn to hits with a couple walks, they absolutely could've. Rocker wouldn't have gone 9 either on that snerrio. Vandy only scored 3, 2 in the 8th.

Finals start Monday though. Even in a game 3 situation on Wednesday that is very short rest. Assuming we stay in the winners bracket. Your #3 goes on Friday and use Campbell on the if necessary game Saturday.

I have a filling it was more a 11.7 limit deal than anything, but I have no inside info or anything.
The Pitching Ninja had all of Rocker's strikeouts on his Twitter feed the next day.  All 19 strikeouts came on his breaking ball and 18 were bounced.  Sure, it was absolutely filthy, but a more patient team makes it a much worse start for Rocker.

Yeah, Campbell would only start before the finals in an elimination game.  We did the same thing last year.  It is crucial to go 3-0 so you get to the finals in excellent shape pitching wise.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 08:19:55 pm by ucahogfan »

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Everything from did-il-I-doh to darned if I know
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2019, 08:04:47 pm »

I had a lot of experience when I was young on teams with one lock-down pitcher.

It’s a real coaching challenge to get it right at the plate when he was on the bench.

pigture perfect

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2019, 08:18:54 pm »

me either. Maybe he just has more of a catchers shaped body traditionally.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Everything from did-il-I-doh to darned if I know
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2019, 08:29:27 pm »

me either. Maybe he just has more of a catchers shaped body traditionally.

If so, that’s garbage.

311Hog

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2019, 09:47:22 am »

Thanks, I just saw him pitching over the weekend and thought there might be an interesting understory there.  I knew he pitched for us last year, even a little in the CWS (less than an inning in the CWS) and then he left after season landing at TTech. 

i actually had the pleasure of talking with Bryce during practice in Omaha as all the freshman were out in the outfield shagging balls from BP the day after game 1.  I have to say i never thought he was leaving from that conversation, he seemed motivated to become a weekend starter and thought he would be (i did to) he has good stuff.  Until you mentioned it i had forgotten that he went to TTech and that we "might" face him that is pretty surreal to me if that works out considering the odds.

Hogdomer

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2019, 09:50:57 am »

I think I remember DVH commenting that he wanted to be a starter and he didn't see that happening here.

He started game 3 of their super vs. Oklahoma State.

dethnode

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2019, 09:11:17 am »

The Pitching Ninja had all of Rocker's strikeouts on his Twitter feed the next day.  All 19 strikeouts came on his breaking ball and 18 were bounced.  Sure, it was absolutely filthy, but a more patient team makes it a much worse start for Rocker.

Yeah, Campbell would only start before the finals in an elimination game.  We did the same thing last year.  It is crucial to go 3-0 so you get to the finals in excellent shape pitching wise.

I still think without the weather delay on the first game, we win it all last year without a game 3....

duck slayer

• Varsity
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2019, 09:43:08 am »

I was thinking the same thing until I saw how fast the turnaround is to the Finals.  If Campbell pitches Friday, then he either can't pitch game 1 of the Finals on Monday or has to go on very short rest.

Can someone explain why they set this thing up to take a full week or possibly even 8 days to play out the 4 team pods and then turn around and play the Finals two or three days later?  I don't understand the why they give so long to play out the pods then turn around and rush the Finals.

Beaverfever

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2019, 10:22:46 am »

I was thinking the same thing until I saw how fast the turnaround is to the Finals.  If Campbell pitches Friday, then he either can't pitch game 1 of the Finals on Monday or has to go on very short rest.

Can someone explain why they set this thing up to take a full week or possibly even 8 days to play out the 4 team pods and then turn around and play the Finals two or three days later?  I don't understand the why they give so long to play out the pods then turn around and rush the Finals.
The spacing of the games is very awkward.  It seemingly encourages teams to overuse their best pitchers.  It would make more sense if the whole thing was either 2-3 days shorter or 2-3 days longer particularly considering half the teams have the luck of starting a day earlier than the rest of the teams.  If you get to play the first day of the tournament and you have a dominant pitcher you really have to pitch him 3 times in that twelve day period to give yourself the best chance to win. 

311Hog

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2019, 12:14:09 pm »

OSU definitely overused Abel last year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas