• 10,355,245 Posts
• 409,707 Topics
• 23,417 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chasing Ghosts Article on ESPN  (Read 2470 times)

Llanowan

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

VanBurenCHog

• Bench Warmer
Re: Chasing Ghosts Article on ESPN
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 11:00:14 am »

Def didnít lose first round of NIT

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 12:02:37 pm »

Not a good read.  Interesting those basketball media members see things as they do.  Lunardi  ::)

Paul

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 12:33:06 pm »

Itís easier for them to focus on a handful of programs & coaches. No one has ever claimed college bb writers were MENSA members

HawgDyL

• Band Nerd
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 12:38:16 pm »

Darren DeLoach (semohawg)

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 12:42:45 pm »

Not a good read.  Interesting those basketball media members see things as they do.  Lunardi  ::)

Are they all 12??? I don't need a false over-hyped narrative, but they totally missed the mark. Our ceiling isn't a Sweet 16 every 10-12 years. Hope Muss makes them eat these words.

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 01:10:23 pm »

I think that these guys are still highly underestimating the SEC as a whole, if nothing else. They think we could become the second or third best team in the SEC, but they think that translates to a couple of Sweet Sixteens a decade. To me, thatís a consistent Sweet Sixteen with a couple Elite 8s or Final Fours thrown in.

HawgTide

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 01:17:16 pm »

Meh. Pretty typical ESPN crap full of laziness and arrogance

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 02:16:48 pm »

If this were a discussion among college basketball fans, I wouldn't give it a second thought.  The contributors are to have intimate knowledge of college basketball as a part of their profession. 

-  No mention of the NCAA investigation destroying Nolan's post-NC recruiting class.

-  No mention of the lawsuit affecting the hiring of Nolan's replacement or what Altman discovered and exposed leading to Pelphrey's hiring.  Heath and Pelphrey should have never coached at Arkansas but did due to circumstances.

-  Lunardi's assertion leaving the SWC brought about our decline. 

-  We have a little more history than just Nolan's peak.  You don't rank where we do in all time achievements just from a small amount of seasons.  Their comments felt a little disrespectful.  But it is more than fair to say we haven't done anything of note in a while. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 06:15:23 pm »

Frankly, in college basketball today, the NCAA and advancing is all that matters.   I hate it, because I love going to games at the Bud.  These guys kept saying "Arkansas was a middle pack SEC team under Mike".  But really, they were top 2/3 during Mike's tenure.  It's just that Arkansas never had a signature win in the tournament, and never advanced.  Can Muss improve the program, what, 10%?  And if he does, it seems like the program should pass through that threshold to relevancy. 

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 06:43:38 pm »

When Nolan succeeded Eddie, no one and I mean NO ONE predicted the type of success we enjoyed from 1989-1995, so we have that in our favor.

Can EM do the same sort of thing? The odds are against us ever sustaining that type of success over a 7 year period, but the odds were against Nolan doing that also.

The SEC having become such a good basketball league now makes it all the more unlikely. However, other than Florida with back to back NCs, no school other than UK has ever had a run like we had back then.

It can be done but don't bet the house on it. Recruiting will be critical because without a doubt EM can coach at a high level. He will enjoy fan support unlike any other in the SEC other than that blue outfit if he gets this program winning at a high level again.

hogwood

• Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 09:02:47 pm »

Sivad

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 01:38:13 am »

Medcalf and Lunardi? Say no more, I will never read it.
You didnít miss anything.

AugustaHog

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 07:58:55 am »

That was garbage.  If they want to dismiss our run from the 70's through the 90's as a blip on the radar, then why are they dismissing how much UF sucked for almost their entire existence prior to Donovan.  They did have a nice stretch with the Final Four under Kruger, but that was it pre-Donovan.  Suddenly, they are the only team that can be #2 in the SEC???  That makes no sense.  If we get a good coach (maybe we have, we'll see), we can win just like anybody.  Anybody think TT was going to be a basketball power before Beard got there?  Or Virginia before Bennett?  We won't be able to rely on the "glory days" to bring about this change because it's just been too long for that to help.  That doesn't mean it's not possible.  It will be difficult, but the right man can do it.  Hopefully, Muss is that guy.
P.S. suck it Lunardi, you are a Northeastern, elitist moron.

bkjbearcat

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 08:52:25 am »

If this were a discussion among college basketball fans, I wouldn't give it a second thought.  The contributors are to have intimate knowledge of college basketball as a part of their profession. 

-  No mention of the NCAA investigation destroying Nolan's post-NC recruiting class.

-  No mention of the lawsuit affecting the hiring of Nolan's replacement or what Altman discovered and exposed leading to Pelphrey's hiring.  Heath and Pelphrey should have never coached at Arkansas but did due to circumstances.

-  Lunardi's assertion leaving the SWC brought about our decline. 

-  We have a little more history than just Nolan's peak.  You don't rank where we do in all time achievements just from a small amount of seasons.  Their comments felt a little disrespectful.  But it is more than fair to say we haven't done anything of note in a while.
How different would Arkansas Basketball be if Bill Self was hired as the HC and not Heath? One of the biggest what if's in Razorback history.

TNhawgfan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 07:12:57 am »

At least one of them hinted that papaw Frank ruined it with the way he handled Nolan. The racism within our administration when we had one of the best coaches in America is often overlooked by the media

FineAsSwine

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 08:27:08 am »

The racism within our administration when we had one of the best coaches in America is often overlooked by the media

And denied by some of our fans.

Hawg414

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 09:37:52 am »

At least one of them hinted that papaw Frank ruined it with the way he handled Nolan. The racism within our administration when we had one of the best coaches in America is often overlooked by the media

And denied by some of our fans.

the problem with this line of thought is that words have meanings, and "racism' has a definition.  the improper use of the word has effects.  in UA's case, it would appear to have been long lasting effects. 

the fact is Frank hired Nolan in the first place.  way back before it was as common as it is today to do so.  he made Nolan the FIRST black head coach at a major university in the south.  in a sense, they were both trailblazing that path together.  he made Nolan one of the first million dollar coaches.  all of which are things you just don't do if you are truly, inherently "racist."

more likely... sometimes a white man and a black man just don't get along.  and when you consider both of their Texas sized egos, it is easy to see how that may have been the case between the two.  Nolan was a strong, imposing presence.  he threatened Broyles' existence.  compared to Nutt who was a yes boy.  a lap dog.  that's why Nutt was on a different level playing field.  not bc he was white, but bc he was a lap dog.   

i think Broyles and Nolan just didn't get along.  didn't like each other in general.  and I don't like this new accepted culture where if im a white guy, and I don't like the white guy beside me, then that's normal.  but if im a white guy and I don't like the black guy beside me, then I must be a racist. 

TNhawgfan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 11:25:30 am »

the problem with this line of thought is that words have meanings, and "racism' has a definition.  the improper use of the word has effects.  in UA's case, it would appear to have been long lasting effects. 

the fact is Frank hired Nolan in the first place.  way back before it was as common as it is today to do so.  he made Nolan the FIRST black head coach at a major university in the south.  in a sense, they were both trailblazing that path together.  he made Nolan one of the first million dollar coaches.  all of which are things you just don't do if you are truly, inherently "racist."

more likely... sometimes a white man and a black man just don't get along.  and when you consider both of their Texas sized egos, it is easy to see how that may have been the case between the two.  Nolan was a strong, imposing presence.  he threatened Broyles' existence.  compared to Nutt who was a yes boy.  a lap dog.  that's why Nutt was on a different level playing field.  not bc he was white, but bc he was a lap dog.   

i think Broyles and Nolan just didn't get along.  didn't like each other in general.  and I don't like this new accepted culture where if im a white guy, and I don't like the white guy beside me, then that's normal.  but if im a white guy and I don't like the black guy beside me, then I must be a racist.
I don't disagree with anything you said, and I didn't say Frank himself was a racist. But there were people in the administration who did not like a strong black personality being the face of the University, and they wanted him gone long before it happened.

• Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 03:11:53 pm »

I can't believe I read all that drivel.
I'm slipping

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 03:33:20 pm »

Ego and jealousy more than race.  Nolan challenged Frank's legacy.  Frank was jealous.

Football was favored over basketball at Arkansas by Frank even with the 90s success and NC.  Nolan hated that fact and was jealous and bitter.  Nutt, whom I despise, was treated better. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 10:14:08 am »

Frankly, in college basketball today, the NCAA and advancing is all that matters.   I hate it, because I love going to games at the Bud.  These guys kept saying "Arkansas was a middle pack SEC team under Mike".  But really, they were top 2/3 during Mike's tenure.  It's just that Arkansas never had a signature win in the tournament, and never advanced.  Can Muss improve the program, what, 10%?  And if he does, it seems like the program should pass through that threshold to relevancy. 

Why do people keep saying top 2/3 under Mike. Itís false except for ONLY two years out of eight. Finished #2 once and tied for #3 once. Come on people facts shouldnít be ignored.

Sivad

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 05:59:00 pm »

Nolan hated that fact and was jealous and bitter.  Nutt, whom I despise, was treated better. 
Nutt, whom I despise, acted better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas