• 10,474,232 Posts
• 413,259 Topics
• 23,632 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Florida State vs Arkansas  (Read 7442 times)

#1 STUNNA

Re: Florida State vs Arkansas
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2019, 01:01:44 pm »

This is what I came up with:

Mississippi State    408 Ks on offense this year
Louisville              418
Texas Tech            477
Michigan               494
Auburn                 530
Vanderbilt             543
Arkansas              555
Florida State         584
The more we put the ball in play.. the more dangerous we are. Every time we are in big situations with runners on I cant help but catch myself saying just put it in play here and something good will happen. If Martin, Kjerstad, and Franklin can cut down on the strikeouts I think we can win it all! Hell we might have a chance regardless.

rljjr

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2019, 01:03:27 pm »

When was the last time we didn't get a "solid outing" from Campbell?

Off the top of my head I'm going to say sometime in 2018.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jbell96

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2019, 01:15:38 pm »

Off the top of my head I'm going to say sometime in 2018.
Worst start of the year was game 1 of the Tennessee series, and that was mostly because our defense was atrocious and allowed 4 unearned runs.

EconHawg

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2019, 01:38:05 pm »

guess i should have looked.. where do we rank with remaining teams? Crazy how many more strikeouts we have than Mississippi state.

I've included strikeouts in the far right column of this table, but because teams have played different amounts of games and have different numbers of plate appearances, I prefer to compare teams based on percentages because they are scale-independent.

I'm glad you asked, because I had only looked at FSU's stats before this. We have the 2nd highest K% of the 8 CWS teams, behind only FSU.

Mississippi State's power production this season in relation to its K% is really something special. As is Vanderbilt's offensive production across the board.

It looks like Michigan and Louisville both like to run a lot. Auburn's offensive numbers look a little out of place in this group to me.

EconHawg

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2019, 01:38:46 pm »

Worst start of the year was game 1 of the Tennessee series, and that was mostly because our defense was atrocious and allowed 4 unearned runs.

And I remember there being a very small and sometimes inconsistent zone in that game. It helped us chase Crochet though.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2019, 01:42:39 pm »

I've included strikeouts in the far right column of this table, but because teams have played different amounts of games and have different numbers of plate appearances, I prefer to compare teams based on percentages because they are scale-independent.

I'm glad you asked, because I had only looked at FSU's stats before this. We have the 2nd highest K% of the 8 CWS teams, behind only FSU.

Mississippi State's power production this season in relation to its K% is really something special. As is Vanderbilt's offensive production across the board.

It looks like Michigan and Louisville both like to run a lot. Auburn's offensive numbers look a little out of place in this group to me.

good work!!!

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2019, 01:46:16 pm »

Crazy how Vandy and Arkansas strike out that much but are by far the 2 best offensive teams remaining

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2019, 01:49:28 pm »

Crazy how Vandy and Arkansas strike out that much but are by far the 2 best offensive teams remaining
yep.. its scary

Tantor

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2019, 02:15:32 pm »

Go Hogs!

bjl

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2019, 02:15:53 pm »

I would guess that the strikeout numbers for those two squads are slightly inflated by an overall increase in at bats over the season(compared to the other 5 teams).  With so many runs scored, and runners left on base, we most likely have a lot more.  It would be interesting to see the k/ab ratios across the teams, and see if that gets more in line with the other numbers.  I could be wrong, and either way, MsSt(the last of the 8 ) is on the lowest end, with what I would think would be a ton of ab's also.

EconHawg

« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2019, 02:24:25 pm »

I would guess that the strikeout numbers for those two squads are slightly inflated by an overall increase in at bats over the season(compared to the other 5 teams).  With so many runs scored, and runners left on base, we most likely have a lot more.  It would be interesting to see the k/ab ratios across the teams, and see if that gets more in line with the other numbers.  I could be wrong, and either way, MsSt(the last of the 8 ) is on the lowest end, with what I would think would be a ton of ab's also.

The K% column in the table 7 posts up is strikeouts divided by plate appearances.

bjl

• Varsity
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2019, 02:30:11 pm »

The K% column in the table 7 posts up is strikeouts divided by plate appearances.

thnx!  I don't know how i missed that!  didn't change  as much as I thought it would, ugg.

ucahogfan

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2019, 07:06:20 pm »

Thank you for putting this together.

While probably impossible, would be interesting to see pitches per plate appearance.  Sure, Mississippi State has struck out least among all teams, but also has one of the lowest walk rates.  That tells me they are extremely aggressive at the plate and don't pass up good pitches regardless of the count.  Of course, it all starts with Jake Mangum who has not seen a pitch he didn't like.

ucahogfan

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2019, 07:08:03 pm »

That's because we have embraced the thought that strikeouts are just another out and that doing damage at the plate is more important rather than just making contact.  Sure, it does cause some times where we fail to get runners home in crucial situations, but it also leads to better offense in the long run.

Smithian

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2019, 08:02:33 pm »

That's because we have embraced the thought that strikeouts are just another out and that doing damage at the plate is more important rather than just making contact.  Sure, it does cause some times where we fail to get runners home in crucial situations, but it also leads to better offense in the long run.
#advancedstats

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2019, 08:20:32 pm »

No, I agree. On average you’ll score more runs this way

Deep Shoat

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2019, 09:20:43 pm »

I would suggest that an even better approach is to know when and who should try to "do damage at the plate" and when and who should "just make contact".

BaconTheSaddleAgain

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2019, 09:25:36 pm »

Parrish is worrisome. Big time talent from the left side and strikes a ton of batters out. Exactly the kind of starter that can give us fits.

Pudgepork

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2019, 09:29:59 pm »

Bunt them on and Goodheart will bring them home.  He hits lefties well

BroyledNutts

« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2019, 10:57:23 pm »

Let's hope Parrish gets a case of the CWS yips and we score enough on him to get him pulled.

BaconTheSaddleAgain

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2019, 12:51:30 pm »

I wonder if the game plan will be to be patient at the plate and drive the pitch count up and try to get to the pen. With Zay on the mound,  you can try that strategy.

Hawgey-Davidson

« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2019, 01:08:02 pm »

I wonder if the game plan will be to be patient at the plate and drive the pitch count up and try to get to the pen. With Zay on the mound,  you can try that strategy.
Would be a good approach every game.

BaconTheSaddleAgain

« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2019, 01:09:02 pm »

Would be a good approach every game.

I think when we see right handers that pound the zone, we've taken a much more aggressive approach, especially at the top of the order.

DiamondHogFan

• Hogvillian
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2019, 02:45:53 pm »

I heard a guy on the radio yesterday talking about FSU.  He was a media guy that covers them.  He seemed very sure that Parrish will be on the mound Saturday night. 

Van Eyk seems to be the better (more consistent) pitcher for them, but Parrish has been their "Friday night guy".  When he is "on", he is good...but he is only "on" about 50% of the time.  8-5 with ERA of 5.11.  Across the board his stats where much better last year.  86.1 innings pitched over 18 appearances.  So he has the stuff, just hope he leaves it at home...

Not as consistent (or talented) of a lefty as Lodolo or Nikhazy.

Chief_Osceola

• Senior
  • Embracing the Dark Side
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2019, 03:49:20 pm »

I think half of ours are from 2 guys.  We have a freshman (Cabell) who has potential to be really, really good, and a sophomore Swanson (who either hits the ball a mile or strikes out).  They were in the lineup a lot early to mid season, but were beginning to be liabilities at the plate and in the field. 

Chief_Osceola

• Senior
  • Embracing the Dark Side
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2019, 03:54:14 pm »

I heard a guy on the radio yesterday talking about FSU.  He was a media guy that covers them.  He seemed very sure that Parrish will be on the mound Saturday night. 

Van Eyk seems to be the better (more consistent) pitcher for them, but Parrish has been their "Friday night guy".  When he is "on", he is good...but he is only "on" about 50% of the time.  8-5 with ERA of 5.11.  Across the board his stats where much better last year.  86.1 innings pitched over 18 appearances.  So he has the stuff, just hope he leaves it at home...

Not as consistent (or talented) of a lefty as Lodolo or Nikhazy.

FSU will need last year's Parrish to pitch Saturday to have any kind of chance.  He's been hard to figure out this year.  One game he's lights out, the next he struggles.  If you guys remember the 2009 super regional - he's a lot like Sean Gilmartin, but doesn't have as good of a lineup & defense behind him. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas