• 10,335,439 Posts
• 409,103 Topics
• 23,366 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Florida State vs Arkansas  (Read 7254 times)

goocher72

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Florida State vs Arkansas
« on: June 10, 2019, 06:55:03 pm »

Whatís the matchup record between these two schools?

Wisco Pig

Re: Florida State vs Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 07:02:31 pm »

Whatís the matchup record between these two schools?

We're 5-0 vs. FSU.   All 5 wins were in the NCAA tournament.   We took a game from them in a regional in 1985 and then swept them in the 2004 and 2009 super regionals to advance to Omaha.   

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Knot2brite

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 07:32:43 pm »

They will throw their ace first game. CJ Van Eck....10-3...3.83 era....good pitcher. They hit well. 81 homers....they have a two way player as closer in JC Flowers....they arenít a great pitching team...wonít be easy but they arenít better than ole miss

ucahogfan

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 07:39:32 pm »

They will throw their ace first game. CJ Van Eck....10-3...3.83 era....good pitcher. They hit well. 81 homers....they have a two way player as closer in JC Flowers....they arenít a great pitching team...wonít be easy but they arenít better than ole miss
I think we will match up much better vs. Van Eyk rather than Parrish.  Van Eyk has big time stuff with a mid 90s fastball and nasty breaking ball, but I believe Parrish is more of a crafty lefty.  They both strike out a ton of hitters, but neither tend to work very deep in games as Van Eyk averages 5 and a half innings per start while Parrish is right around 5 innings per start.  Have a couple of very good bullpen arms in Flowers and Haney, but not a ton of depth.

Drew Mendoza is their best hitter and is very patient at the plate.  As LSU learned last night, you let someone else on Florida State beat you.

Their defense is also bad so they could boot it around in Omaha.  I think we are built better to win in Omaha than they are.  We are better in every single facet and it really isn't close.  However, the power of winning one for 11 is also strong.

Knot2brite

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 07:43:42 pm »

I based my answer off two FSU boards I went to but the more I think about it the more I believe Parrish will be the opening pitcher. Consensus is that they kick the ball around too much and that may be the downfall for them

AlmaHog2011

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 07:49:32 pm »

I love our chances against any right hand pitcher. We will score runs against anybody. IMO we just beat a red hot extremely talented team in Ole Miss. They were fully rolling and could beat anybody.

We might not win it this year but the way we are playing if we can get the freshman to settle down and pitch like they had been we are a real threat. Vandy might be the best team but we are right there with them.

DiamondHogFan

• Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 09:08:07 pm »

Van Eyk threw yesterday right?  115 or so pitches if I remember correctly.

Hawgey-Davidson

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 09:33:09 pm »

Van Eyk threw yesterday right?  115 or so pitches if I remember correctly.
Yeah. Heíll be on 5 days rest at most. FSU worries me nada.

respirback

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 09:42:55 pm »

This sets up well for us.  FSU will not beat Campbell.  We are the highest seed in our half of the bracket with no otero SEC teams.  I say Arkansas vs VAndy for the title.  Which is damn scary

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 09:56:54 pm »

I know we had a Florida State fan that use to post here from time to time. Hope he shows up, he was always respectful and knowledgeable.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • R_A_Z_O_R_B_A_C_K_S
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 10:01:15 pm »

This sets up well for us.  FSU will not beat Campbell.  We are the highest seed in our half of the bracket with no otero SEC teams.  I say Arkansas vs VAndy for the title.  Which is damn scary
Arkansas vs Vandy would be a great 2 out of 3. We came up short of winning the series against them in regular season  by one - 1 run game.

Chief_Osceola

• Senior
  • Embracing the Dark Side
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 10:09:29 pm »

I know we had a Florida State fan that use to post here from time to time. Hope he shows up, he was always respectful and knowledgeable.

Iíve been lurking the last few weeks, knowing full well this matchup could happen haha. Campbell scares me to death in round 1. The way the Hogs have been swinging the bat is also scary, especially with our penchant for kicking the ball around. I will say this for the Noles - theyíre playing their best baseball of the season. I think theyíve played tight most of the season knowing itís Martinís last year to coach (among other things). Since making the tournament, theyíve played a lot looser and are playing up to their potential. Iím hoping for a good showing. It would be pretty ironic if this were the team to get Martin a championship, but realistically I donít see it. Iím about 90% sure youíll see Parrish in game 1. Itís been that way all year and I figure itíll stay that way. When he has his best stuff heís pretty dang good. Nobody on our staff matches Campbell though. Our best hope will be to get deep into counts and see a lot of pitches. Then again, yíall have a salty pen too.

LAHOG1962

• Varsity
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 10:14:02 pm »

FSU is very scary to me. They are hot. Anybody that sweeps Georgia at Georgia and lsu in Baton Rouge  is extremely dangerous. We got our hands full. GO HOGS

BroyledNutts

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 10:19:53 pm »

Iíve been lurking the last few weeks, knowing full well this matchup could happen haha. Campbell scares me to death in round 1. The way the Hogs have been swinging the bat is also scary, especially with our penchant for kicking the ball around. I will say this for the Noles - theyíre playing their best baseball of the season. I think theyíve played tight most of the season knowing itís Martinís last year to coach (among other things). Since making the tournament, theyíve played a lot looser and are playing up to their potential. Iím hoping for a good showing. It would be pretty ironic if this were the team to get Martin a championship, but realistically I donít see it. Iím about 90% sure youíll see Parrish in game 1. Itís been that way all year and I figure itíll stay that way. When he has his best stuff heís pretty dang good. Nobody on our staff matches Campbell though. Our best hope will be to get deep into counts and see a lot of pitches. Then again, yíall have a salty pen too.

Chief ! Great to have you back around and visible again ...

Chief_Osceola

• Senior
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 10:22:54 pm »

Chief ! Great to have you back around and visible again ...

Thanks! The last time I really posted with any regularity was during Jameisí RS Freshman year when all the off-field stuff was going on, so I went on a self-imposed hiatus. 😂

Anyway, looking forward to the CWS. If my Noles canít win it, Iíll be rooting like heck for the Hogs.

BroyledNutts

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 10:34:27 pm »

I have so much respect for Coach Martin ... what he's accomplished over his long career is the stuff of legend.
40 seasons at FSU, 40, 40-win seasons .... a feat that will never be equaled.

blu

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 11:01:38 pm »

Yeah, FSU beat GA and LSU. Tough opponent. We do have Campbell, but I'm not sure how good our hitting is going to be against their ace. Tough opponent, legendary coach. We're deep, a lineup with nine hitters in it. Ought to be a great game. Woo Pig!

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 11:08:46 pm »

With game 1 in the regionals, Supers, and CWS being the most important we have a great chance because our game 1 starter is Isaiah Campbell.  Kid is as cool & consistent as a cucumber. This combined with bats waking up means anything is possible.  Sometimes itís better to be lucky and our draw isnít as difficult as years past. Thatís not to take any of these opponents lightly but after last yearís heartbreak, maybe the stars are aligning in our favor.

Hogfanalways

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 11:26:52 pm »

Take no games as easy wins. Biggest game of the year on Saturday! FSU is rolling right now and we will have slow them down. In the supers it seemed LSU made some mistakes. Campbell pitches 7 and we shut the door! WPS!!!!

hobhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 11:31:40 pm »

It's baseball. Go Hogs....

bighog2255

• Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 07:14:31 am »

Parrish has been their #1 the whole postseason, and I believe he will throw on Saturday night. Not great numbers, but he's an experienced lefty.

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 07:43:33 am »

40 years with 40 wins.  That is a incredible stat. The higher seed doesn't matter at this point in the season.  This FSU team is on fire.  They will have their complete bull pen. 

As chief said, the key to the world series is getting into the bull pen.  If Campbell goes 7 innings, I like our chances for the first two games.  Hopefully he does, and the loser of the other game gets into the winners bull pen early as well.             

OneTuskOverTheLineô

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 07:48:10 am »

Arkansas vs Vandy would be a great 2 out of 3. We came up short of winning the series against them in regular season  by one - 1 run game.
That's the game the whole country wants to see...

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 07:51:34 am »

I have so much respect for Coach Martin ... what he's accomplished over his long career is the stuff of legend.
40 seasons at FSU, 40, 40-win seasons .... a feat that will never be equaled.
I saw that stat and thought I must have misunderstood it. That is absolutely incredible.

runninhog

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2019, 07:54:18 am »

FSU is very scary to me. They are hot. Anybody that sweeps Georgia at Georgia and lsu in Baton Rouge  is extremely dangerous. We got our hands full. GO HOGS

I agree. I was impressed with how patient their hitters were against LSU. They seem to be on a mission for their coach. It's Hogs vs karmic forces in this one.

hoglady

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2019, 08:57:09 am »

FSU is playing for their coach - never underestimate the power of that.

They made short work of Georgia (trouncing them 22-4 in 2 games) and then took out the Tigers at Alex Box - records go out the window in post season.
They are playing great right now.

We'll have to be playing our best to beat them.

oldman1015

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2019, 09:03:30 am »

They made short work of Georgia (trouncing them 22-4 in 2 games) and then took out the Tigers at Alex Box - records go out the window in post season.

I agree, everyone is excited about seeding. Seeding counts the whole year which doesn't matter now. We may be playing the best team first.

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2019, 09:06:25 am »

Iím glad we will have Campbell to go against these guys.

oldman1015

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2019, 09:09:39 am »

I’m glad we will have Campbell to go against these guys.
Me too

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2019, 01:28:22 pm »

Nice to see you are still hanging around. If the hogs didnít make it this year, I would be pulling for you guys. Are you planning on making the trip to Omaha?

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2019, 01:37:08 pm »

This

bosshog84

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2019, 01:41:22 pm »

That's true. FSU is playing for their coach and that can be a very dangerous thing. However, we are playing with the bad taste of last year still in our mouths and that can be just as dangerous for other teams. We want to prove that we can get back there again and this time win "the whole damn thing"  :). The way we are clicking right now, I would bet on us against any team in the country, even Vanderbilt.

EconHawg

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2019, 01:53:20 pm »

Here's how we stack up statistically.

gmarv

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2019, 01:57:33 pm »

I have a lot of confidence in Campbell  almost as much as our team does. When guys have their leader out there with them they (we) are really really hard to beat.

Hawgzinbowlz

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2019, 01:58:41 pm »

Campbell...
Hot Bats...
Arkan...buzz...saw

" GO OMAHOGS "

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2019, 02:20:43 pm »

Yeah they are certainly not playing like a team anyone should take lightly

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2019, 03:07:29 pm »

And that was at Vandy. We were a blooper to left of winning the first game. I think Franklin catches that ball now and takes two runs off the board. So close.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2019, 03:31:34 pm »

If we put the ball in play and eliminate strikeouts.... we will be hard to beat for anyone.

Chief_Osceola

• Senior
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2019, 03:36:47 pm »

Nice to see you are still hanging around. If the hogs didnít make it this year, I would be pulling for you guys. Are you planning on making the trip to Omaha?

Haha I wish. Of all the years to go, this would be the one. I honestly didnít think weíd be in Omaha this year so I didnít plan accordingly.

rljjr

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2019, 09:50:27 am »

FSU dispatched Georgia and LSU at their places. Don't think they don't relish the thought of beating another SEC team. They're grinding hard for 11 and they're on a roll. I don't fear FSU, but I'm not going to be cocky about it, either.

We need a solid outing from Campbell and for our bats to continue to smack doubles. FSU is playing very well right now, but so are we. I fully expect a competitive game. WPS!

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2019, 09:54:22 am »

FSU dispatched Georgia and LSU at their places. Don't think they don't relish the thought of beating another SEC team. They're grinding hard for 11 and they're on a roll. I don't fear FSU, but I'm not going to be cocky about it, either.

We need a solid outing from Campbell and for our bats to continue to smack doubles. FSU is playing very well right now, but so are we. I fully expect a competitive game. WPS!
When was the last time we didn't get a "solid outing" from Campbell?

Smithian

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2019, 09:59:00 am »

I still think the 2009 team going down to Tallahassee and taking that Super Regional was what solidified something serious was cooking under DVH. 2008 was an underwhelming season and the 2009 team collapsed at the end of SEC play. That postseason could have gone one of two ways and goodness it went the right way and set the tone for the next decade.

fullfan

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2019, 10:18:35 am »

Saw Parrish make a few of LSU batters look silly chasing balls in the dirt.  Will be key for lefties  in our lineup to make him throw the breaking stuff for strikes.

oldman1015

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2019, 11:15:22 am »

If we put the ball in play and eliminate strikeouts.... we will be hard to beat for anyone.
Says all 8 teams.

311Hog

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2019, 11:44:14 am »

if we score more runs than they do we will win

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2019, 12:21:07 pm »

Says all 8 teams.
without looking.. i bet we lead all teams at the CWS in strikeouts... i know we led the sec in strikeouts.

EconHawg

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2019, 12:24:52 pm »

without looking.. i bet we lead all teams at the CWS in strikeouts... i know we led the sec in strikeouts.

If you're talking about strikeouts by our hitters, you would be incorrect. The team we face on Saturday night has 24 more strikeouts on the season than we do. Their hitters strikeout in ~23% of plate appearances, compared to our ~21%.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2019, 12:36:58 pm »

If you're talking about strikeouts by our hitters, you would be incorrect. The team we face on Saturday night has 24 more strikeouts on the season than we do. Their hitters strikeout in ~23% of plate appearances, compared to our ~21%.
guess i should have looked.. where do we rank with remaining teams? Crazy how many more strikeouts we have than Mississippi state.

Porkerpower

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2019, 12:52:53 pm »

At the beginning of this season our hitters were disciplined at the plate.  And we started out smoking at the plate because of it.  Then, we got into conference play and kinda got away from it.  In the supers we seemed to get back to taking pitches.  For the most part only swung at strikes. 

We have to be patient at the plate from here on out and stay in the winners bracket.  If we do that we'll be playing for all the marbles, AGAIN.

Wisco Pig

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2019, 12:56:46 pm »

guess i should have looked.. where do we rank with remaining teams? Crazy how many more strikeouts we have than Mississippi state.

This is what I came up with:

Mississippi State    408 Ks on offense this year
Louisville              418
Texas Tech            477
Michigan               494
Auburn                 530
Vanderbilt             543
Arkansas              555
Florida State         584
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA