• 10,350,494 Posts
• 409,574 Topics
• 23,412 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: US Open.... who you got?  (Read 1797 times)

majestic

US Open.... who you got?
« on: June 09, 2019, 03:39:38 pm »

Judging by Rory's play today, he has to be the favorite. He's 7 under through 12....  :(

Boarcephus

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
Re: US Open.... who you got?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 04:37:40 pm »

Judging by Rory's play today, he has to be the favorite. He's 7 under through 12....  :(

He's putting on a show today.  He had it to -9 until a bogie at 16.  He's up by 6 on 17 and has about 4-5 foot putt for eagle. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

majestic

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 04:44:42 pm »

He's putting on a show today.  He had it to -9 until a bogie at 16.  He's up by 6 on 17 and has about 4-5 foot putt for eagle. 
Made the eagle. Let's see if he can post a 59.

Boarcephus

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 04:45:37 pm »

Rory is sitting in the middle of the fairway on 18, up by 8 and needs a birdie to shoot 59. 

EastexHawg

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 07:35:39 pm »

When McIlroy is on no one in the world is as dominant.  He had nine birdies and an eagle and I bet only one of the putts was from outside 10 feet.

Did he peak a week too soon?

I cheered almost as hard for Graeme McDowell to get into the Open Championship at Royal Portrush.  What a clutch performance and great story...

EastexHawg

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 10:28:13 pm »

As for my picks:

Rory
Dustin Johnson
Mickelson

I know, I know.  Mickelson has been terrible lately, but he has won five times at Pebble, including four months ago.  If he gets off to a good start, as in within three shots of the lead after 36 holes, he will contend to the end.  If he falls behind by much at all he will start taking crazy chances and finish near the bottom.

Phil has never learned what Nicklaus knew, that in majors you can often catch up by letting other people fall apart under pressure instead of doing it to yourself.  Just because Adam Hadwin is seven under par after 36 doesn't mean it's going to take -14 to win.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 10:45:02 pm »

Pebble Beach is set for 7,075 yards Par 71 by the USGA.  Expect for the winning score to be -12 to -14.

The USGA should have made it a Par 70.  They should have either made the 6th hole play as a Par 4, or they should have made the 18th hole shorter and made it play as a Par 4 (the 18th as a Par 4 would probably be the best option).

Leave it to the USGA to have a goofy set-up aspect.  The 6th hole is a Par 5 at 523 yards.  The 9th hole is a Par 4 at 526 yards.  A Par 4 that is longer than a Par 5.

The first hole at Pebble Beach is not that great of an opening hole.

I posted a thread a few weeks ago from another site that shows recent pictures, and the USGA has disfigured the course in order to try to add difficulty (narrowed the fairways, and it looks rather silly).

Regarding who may win, Mickelson usually plays well there (he won there earlier this year), Snedeker usually plays well there, and Jimmy Walker usually plays well there.  Henrik Stenson could do well there because he could overpower the course with just his trusty 3 Wood.

hogbud

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 07:53:53 am »

Iím gonna predict a Korean
Na

oldman1015

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 10:13:01 am »

TIGER

ricepig

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 10:30:55 am »

Lee6

ricepig

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 10:34:02 am »

Pebble Beach is set for 7,075 yards Par 71 by the USGA.  Expect for the winning score to be -12 to -14.

The USGA should have made it a Par 70.  They should have either made the 6th hole play as a Par 4, or they should have made the 18th hole shorter and made it play as a Par 4 (the 18th as a Par 4 would probably be the best option).

Leave it to the USGA to have a goofy set-up aspect.  The 6th hole is a Par 5 at 523 yards.  The 9th hole is a Par 4 at 526 yards.  A Par 4 that is longer than a Par 5.

The first hole at Pebble Beach is not that great of an opening hole.

I posted a thread a few weeks ago from another site that shows recent pictures, and the USGA has disfigured the course in order to try to add difficulty (narrowed the fairways, and it looks rather silly).

Regarding who may win, Mickelson usually plays well there (he won there earlier this year), Snedeker usually plays well there, and Jimmy Walker usually plays well there.  Henrik Stenson could do well there because he could overpower the course with just his trusty 3 Wood.

Have you ever played any of these course that you like to poop on, or do you just read message boards for comments? Iíve played about every course you think is garbage, and Iíll leave it with this, if you havenít been there, then you are just repeating someone  elseís thoughts.

oldman1015

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 10:37:25 am »

Have you ever played any of these course that you like to poop on, or do you just read message boards for comments? I’ve played about every course you think is garbage, and I’ll leave it with this, if you haven’t been there, then you are just repeating someone  else’s thoughts.
I still say he is the best fisherman on here.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 11:11:03 am »

Have you ever played any of these course that you like to poop on, or do you just read message boards for comments? Iíve played about every course you think is garbage, and Iíll leave it with this, if you havenít been there, then you are just repeating someone  elseís thoughts.

I would never fork over the $550 to play Pebble Beach.  To get to experience Hole 7, Hole 8, and Hole 9 is simply not worth $550 to me.  If someone else feels it is worth it, to each his own.

I actually hope the PGA Tour Pros carve it up/destroy it with a barrage of birdies this week.  It would force the USGA to do one of the following two things.

Address the out-of-control golf equipment technology issue, and make much needed appropriate changes.

or

Stop having Pebble Beach host the U.S. Open.

If they don't do one of the above two, then will the USGA be happy in 2027 when -25 wins the next U.S. Open held at Pebble Beach?

ricepig

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 11:27:02 am »

I would never fork over the $550 to play Pebble Beach.  To get to experience Hole 7, Hole 8, and Hole 9 is simply not worth $550 to me.  If someone else feels it is worth it, to each his own.

I actually hope the PGA Tour Pros carve it up/destroy it with a barrage of birdies this week.  It would force the USGA to do one of the following two things.

Address the out-of-control golf equipment technology issue, and make much needed appropriate changes.

or

If they don't do one of the above two, then will the USGA be happy in 2027 when -25 wins the next U.S. Open held at Pebble Beach?

Who freaking cares? So, you donít know anything about the courses, but what you read, TV doesnít always capture the essence of these great courses.

hawg66

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 11:32:52 am »

History doesnít matter unless Perry built it

ricepig

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 11:41:57 am »

Iíve got Brooks Koepka winning.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 12:47:56 pm »

Iíve got Brooks Koepka winning.

Really going out on a limb there arenít you?

ricepig

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 12:49:18 pm »

Really going out on a limb there arenít you?

Kiss of death for him, I usually go with DJ.

EastexHawg

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 01:14:36 pm »

How would it actually change anything if the USGA decided to call #18 a par 4?  It wouldn't.

How would it actually change anything if the course was deemed a par 70 instead of 71...or 72?  It wouldn't.

At the end of the day you're going to shoot 68, 70, 74, or 78.  Whether you call the 70 even par, 1 under, or 2 under is immaterial. 

oldman1015

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 01:15:29 pm »

Kiss of death for him, I usually go with DJ.
I'll let you know if I get him in our pool. He will have no shot.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 01:20:35 pm »

Who freaking cares? So, you donít know anything about the courses, but what you read, TV doesnít always capture the essence of these great courses.

Pebble Beach cares.  The fact the USGA makes it a sacred cow and continues to have it host the U.S. Open enables Pebble Beach to keep on charging a high fee.  It being a U.S. Open course is mainly responsible for that $550 fee.

Jack Nicklaus hitting the pin on Hole 17 with a 1 Iron in 1972, and Tom Watson chipping in on Hole 17 in 1982 maybe another reason why the USGA makes it a sacred cow.  The irony is there were a lot of players whining about Hole 17 in 2010, and don't be surprised if there is some more whining about Hole 17 this week.

ricepig

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 01:31:18 pm »

Pebble Beach cares.  The fact the USGA makes it a sacred cow and continues to have it host the U.S. Open enables Pebble Beach to keep on charging a high fee.  It being a U.S. Open course is mainly responsible for that $550 fee.

Jack Nicklaus hitting the pin on Hole 17 with a 1 Iron in 1972, and Tom Watson chipping in on Hole 17 in 1982 maybe another reason why the USGA makes it a sacred cow.  The irony is there were a lot of players whining about Hole 17 in 2010, and don't be surprised if there is some more whining about Hole 17 this week.

Theyíve been charging a premium for years, Bing made that possible.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2019, 01:50:35 pm »

or

If you had ever played it, you would think that it is worth it.  Besides, it isnít the greens fee that gets you.  It is the $1,100 a night or more at a resort property and the minimum two night stay in order to get a guaranteed tee time that gets you.

GolfNut57

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 04:18:48 pm »

Well there are two people I will NOT pick to win the US Open. The "Over-the-Hill" Woods yokel and Rory McIlroy. Mainly staying away from Rory because I just can't see him winning in back to back weeks. Guess I might go with the Coochie guy Matt. Although it won't surprise me one bit to see either DJ or Justin Thomas walk away Sunday with the trophy.

Boarcephus

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 08:25:26 pm »

Well there are two people I will NOT pick to win the US Open. The "Over-the-Hill" Woods yokel and Rory McIlroy. Mainly staying away from Rory because I just can't see him winning in back to back weeks. Guess I might go with the Coochie guy Matt. Although it won't surprise me one bit to see either DJ or Justin Thomas walk away Sunday with the trophy.

One thing about Rory, when heís high heís high and when heís low heís low.  Right now heís riding a helluva high.  That final round stomping he put on the field has to have put a lot of demons to rest.   I like his chances. 

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2019, 09:09:48 am »

Garrigus or Aphibarnrat. 

sevenof400

• Is it too late to remember what was best in life?
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2019, 10:22:17 am »

Lee6
For our purposes here, are we treating the Lee's as coupled entries?

sevenof400

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2019, 10:23:03 am »

Garrigus or Aphibarnrat.

Asparagus, you say?

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2019, 10:31:46 am »

It has been an iconic golf course for decades. They have been charging accordingly for those same decades.  You are just bent of shape because your loved guy didn't build it.

sevenof400

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2019, 10:43:35 am »

....I have always said that if I had one more round of golf to play, it would be at Pebble Beach

Jack Nicklaus
/end of story

EastexHawg

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2019, 10:55:55 am »

Jack Nicklaus
/end of story

Was that with #18 being a par 5 or a par 4?  It makes a huge difference, you know.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2019, 05:22:47 pm »

It looks like the Pros won't be needing a Driver very much this week.

Here is a hole-by-hole analysis by someone who has played it more than 250 times, and who has caddied, he guesses, about 8,000 loops at Pebble Beach.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/26871928/leave-driver-home-guide-us-open-pebble-beach

Here are some black and white photos that have been colorized that shows Pebble Beach as it once was.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=67265.0

Perhaps, it needs to be restored back to that.  Those sandy areas around Hole 7 and Hole 17 give the course a much more natural look, and also probably would make the course play better.

majestic

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2019, 02:08:31 pm »

Fowler and Rory looking good.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Dude I was the cool guy back in 76 look at me now
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2019, 02:34:20 pm »

I think it's either Rory or Eldrick and I'd love to see a final pairing of those two on Sunday. One thing that is beginning to grate on my nerves is Lefty's never ending attempts to rip his chewing gum in his mouth into shreds. Sorta like fingernails on the chalkboard to me. Apparently it helps him. Who knows ? But I can't stand watching him chew his cud like an old heifer grazing in the back pasture.

sevenof400

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2019, 02:34:33 pm »

I know this is very presumptuous but just how popular would a Rickie Fowler win be?  Here's hoping it happens..

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Dude I was the cool guy back in 76 look at me now
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2019, 02:54:55 pm »

I know this is very presumptuous but just how popular would a Rickie Fowler win be?  Here's hoping it happens..
Ricky's a good guy. There aren't many horse's asses anymore. Too much money that can be lost in endorsements if you are an up and comer and dropping 'f-bombs' after you miss a 12 footer for birdie.

majestic

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2019, 03:02:49 pm »

A Fowler win would be cool. His new white-trash haircut is not cool, though. But he is dating the hot polevaulter chick.

ricepig

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2019, 03:24:40 pm »

A Fowler win would be cool. His new white-trash haircut is not cool, though. But he is dating the hot polevaulter chick.

Just making the final group on Sunday and a camera following her around would be as good as a victory, IMO.

ricepig

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2019, 03:49:39 pm »

I hope Nike is paying Koepka millions to wear those ugly caps.

majestic

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2019, 04:15:22 pm »

11 years ago I watched from a bar in Puerto Vallarta Woods win the US Open over Mediate. I'm headed back to Mexico tomorrow, though not PV. It would be cool to watch him win over another Italian... Molinari. I can dream.

majestic

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2019, 04:32:19 pm »

Nevermind. It looks like the Koepka show is on replay.

oldman1015

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2019, 04:39:04 pm »

I have him in our pool. He has no chance.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2019, 06:24:57 pm »

Theyíve been charging a premium for years, Bing made that possible.

During Tiger Woods' press conference on Tuesday he was asked about when he first played Pebble Beach.  Woods stated that he played it with his father, and that it was still under $100.

The following was posted by someone (Post #22) in a thread over on Golfwrx.

Just for full disclosures sake, the majority of my rounds @ Pebble were played before the greens fees began to inch up in the stratosphere. I believe the first time I played there in the mid '80s, it cost $60 or so to play. My have times changed.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1774379/john-wood-kuchars-caddie-on-pebble-beach

....I have always said that if I had one more round of golf to play, it would be at Pebble Beach

Jack Nicklaus
/end of story

"Acre for acre, it may be the best test of golf in the world."

Jack Nicklaus quote about Merion

majestic

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2019, 06:32:51 pm »

During Tiger Woods' press conference on Tuesday he was asked about when he first played Pebble Beach.  Woods stated that he played it with his father, and that it was still under $100.

Just for full disclosures sake, the majority of my rounds @ Pebble were played before the greens fees began to inch up in the stratosphere. I believe the first time I played there in the mid '80s, it cost $60 or so to play. My have times changed.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1774379/john-wood-kuchars-caddie-on-pebble-beach

"The world needs ditch diggers."

Judge Smails to Danny Noonan

ricepig

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2019, 06:34:29 pm »

$60 was a fortune in 1984! It was $295 in 1998, and has risen since due to a thing called supply and demand.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2019, 07:08:20 pm »

Another interesting quote from Jack Nicklaus.

"An interesting statistic to me is that the average length [in 1997] of a dozen of my favorite American major championship courses -- Augusta National, Baltusrol, Inverness, Medinah, Merion, Oak Hill, Oakland Hills, Oakmont, Olympic, Pebble Beach, Shinnecock Hills, and Southern Hills -- is only 6,880 yards."

Examining what is occurring with some of the above courses in his quote.

Augusta National in 2019 is now 7,475 yards   45 players finished under Par during the 2019 Masters.

Southern Hills   7,131 yards for 2007 PGA Championship   4 players finished under Par during 2007 PGA Championship.  Has recently been lengthened to 7,500 yards during a restoration.

Shinnecock Hills   7,440 yards for 2018 U.S. Open   0 players finished under Par during 2018 U.S. Open.

Oakmont   7,254 yards for 2016 U.S. Open   4 players finished under Par during 2016 U.S. Open.

Merion (East Course)   6,966 yards for 2013 U.S. Open   0 players finished under Par during 2013 U.S. Open.

Pebble Beach   7,075 yards for 2019 U.S. Open   Currently 34 players under Par during 2019 U.S. Open.

majestic

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2019, 07:22:43 pm »

Woods needs to throw his driver in the trash.

Boarcephus

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2019, 07:25:29 pm »

I think what I need to work on most is to tee the ball up, then move in and tap it down a little one handed with my driver and then check to see if it lines up with the sweet spot like Koepka just did.   :D. Still pretty damn impressive to me. 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas