• 10,748,862 Posts
• 420,059 Topics
• 24,696 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WBB Recruiting - the beat goes on  (Read 13952 times)

Hogfanbornin94

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: WBB Recruiting - the beat goes on
« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2020, 12:45:32 pm »

I saw her at a game last spring.  Where were they sitting?

They were right behind our bench and Jersey and I believe Emrie Ellis was there as well
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 12:57:14 pm by Hogfanbornin94 »

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #151 on: January 04, 2020, 01:15:49 pm »

with the size of the crowd it was hard to see who was there.  I am so glad to see that Jersey was there also.  We really need her in the future.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hogfanbornin94

• Varsity
« Reply #152 on: January 04, 2020, 01:22:50 pm »

She would help add size, she is a tall guard. I haven’t seen her play this year, how is she doing this season?

Coach Pittman was there for a while as well with his wife and a guest. I was a few rows behind them.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #153 on: January 04, 2020, 01:49:52 pm »

She has been doing great with all the top programs offering her.  We need her to stay home and join Elauna  Eaton as two tall guars for the first time in Arkansas's lineup and both home grown Arkansas girls.  I see it happening.

samhog49

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #154 on: January 04, 2020, 05:56:34 pm »

Jersey has been to several games I've noticed this season.  Saw Emrie Ellis (already mentioned) and 2022 Missouri G/F Ysabella Fontleroy as well at the A&M game.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2020, 07:49:35 am »

Jersey has been to several games I've noticed this season.  Saw Emrie Ellis (already mentioned) and 2022 Missouri G/F Ysabella Fontleroy as well at the A&M game.
I hope our Sunday crowds keep coming out.  The Thursday game was well attended because school was out.  When school is in, I would not expect to see so much youth at games.

ladybackfan

• Varsity
« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2020, 08:31:26 am »

I hope the crowds continue to grow.  This team is good and a joy to watch.
I had about 4 friends attend the A&M game and will have even more at the Kentucky game.
Also the Kentucky game is benefiting a good cause.
Ticket price is ONE DOLLAR for adults.  So if you have ever thought about attending a women’s game that might be the one. 

psycHOGlogist

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2020, 10:18:23 pm »

Story on Samara Spencer, a 2021 Hog commit, who score 21 4Q points to lead her team to a come-from-behind win over the defending state champs in Florida. She scored all but 9 of her team’s points on the night:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/basketball-girls/fl-sp-hs-sta-ah-gbb-20200109-ygaqqrzkoncppp7fnqko6o3dom-story.html

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2020, 08:34:57 am »

In spite of the weather, I drove down to Fort Smith to watch Jersey Wolfenbarger last night.  She accounted directly for 46 of their 67 points.  Jersey scored 27 unselfish points while dishing out smooth assists for another 19 points.  If her teammates would have handled all the opportunities that she gave them, she would have assisted on 27 additional points.  Her passes are crisp and on target.

Jersey is a little skinny right now and will need to work on strength, but I think she still is growing.  She has a body right now that reminds me of Bonner who played at Auburn and is now in the WNBA.  However, as a player she most reminds me of Candace Parker.  Just as Candace, Jersey can play any position on the court - offensively or defensively.  Last night, she was the point, a forward and a post player.  I have seen Goforth several times and I would take Jersey if I could only get one of them.  Jersey you have to come to the Hill.  You can take us back to the promised land.

flippinhogmana

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2020, 08:54:45 am »

In spite of the weather, I drove down to Fort Smith to watch Jersey Wolfenbarger last night.  She accounted directly for 46 of their 67 points.  Jersey scored 27 unselfish points while dishing out smooth assists for another 19 points.  If her teammates would have handled all the opportunities that she gave them, she would have assisted on 27 additional points.  Her passes are crisp and on target.

Jersey is a little skinny right now and will need to work on strength, but I think she still is growing.  She has a body right now that reminds me of Bonner who played at Auburn and is now in the WNBA.  However, as a player she most reminds me of Candace Parker.  Just as Candace, Jersey can play any position on the court - offensively or defensively.  Last night, she was the point, a forward and a post player.  I have seen Goforth several times and I would take Jersey if I could only get one of them.  Jersey you have to come to the Hill.  You can take us back to the promised land.

Lead her home LBBF

flippinhogmana

« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2020, 03:53:01 am »

I apologize if this information has been posted before but I hadnt seen it.  I tagged off Psych's excellent work and dug up this.  She appears to be a rapidly developing player, probably a lot like a Daniels/Monk/AT type point guard. 

University of Arkansas women's basketball Coach Mike Neighbors received unexpected good news when junior guard Samara Spencer called him Saturday night to say she wanted to be a Razorback.

"He actually didn't believe me at first," Spencer said. "He was kind of in shock because he didn't know I was close to making my decision. He was like, 'You're kidding,' and I was like no, I'm being serious. He was like, 'Are you joking right now?' and I was like, 'No, I'm not.' "

Spencer, 5-7, of St. Thomas Aquinas in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., picked Arkansas over George Washington, South Florida, Eastern Michigan, Florida Atlantic, Florida International and Jacksonville.  She made an unofficial visit to Fayetteville for the Colorado State football game on Sept. 14, and she soon realized Arkansas would be her college choice.

"I like the area of Fayetteville," Spencer said. "It was different from Florida, where I'm from. I like the school. The fact it's really the only major college, a lot of fans always come out and support the different sports teams."

Arkansas' style of play means her adjustment to the collegiate game should go smoothly.

"I like how the team plays," she said. "It fits my style. What I do in high school, I really didn't want to adjust from what I'm doing in high school to college."

Spencer averaged 14.1 points, 6.3 rebounds and 3.6 assists as a sophomore while leading the Raiders to the Class 8A state championship game.  She averaged 14 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 steals during the spring and summer for the highly regarded Nike EYBL Miami Suns, which featured five players who signed with Division I programs.

Neighbors and associate head coach Todd Schaefer have a long relationship with Suns co-founder and program director Miguel Diaz, co-founder and basketball operations head Obel Cruz and co-founder Paul Torres.

"Samara is an electrifying player, big-time athlete, perfect match for Arkansas," Diaz said. "Coach Schaefer and Neighbors did a great job of identifying her as a good fit. They both recruited our program heavily through the years. Coach Schaef is one of the best recruiters in the nation. He really zeros in on kids that fit for what they're looking for in a player and a character standpoint."

Neighbors and his staff signed the No. 16 class nationally last week for the 2020 class. Arkansas is off to a strong start for the 2021 class with the addition of Spencer, who joins junior guard Ashlyn Sage, 6-2, of Weatherford, Okla., and junior post player Emrie Ellis, 6-2, of Ada Vanoss, Okla., in the class.

Spencer said she pictured herself at Arkansas while watching Neighbors and his staff conduct practice during her visit.  "After I watched the practice, I pictured myself in the drills they were doing because I do it now," Spencer said.  She and her mother felt at ease with Neighbors during the trip.

"When I went on my visit, we had a lot of things in common," Spencer said. "My mom had a lot in common with Coach Neighbors. TV shows and stuff like that. We could relate to a lot of things."
Spencer carries a 4.0 grade-point average, and she has an eye toward studying medicine.
"I've thought about going into the medical field," she said. "I just like the fact of helping people."

Diaz said Spencer raises her game to another level on the big stage.  "She loves the big shot, loves the big game," Diaz said. "She's getting better as a player. She's just scratching the surface."

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2020, 05:16:56 pm »

At least two recruits were at the Missouri game sitting behind the Arkansas bench.  Mary Ann Dauda from Bentonville and another girl that I could not identify. 

flippinhogmana

« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2020, 06:40:10 pm »

At least two recruits were at the Missouri game sitting behind the Arkansas bench.  Mary Ann Dauda from Bentonville and another girl that I could not identify.

Excellent.  I am glad that Maryam got to see the way Mizzou acts....and who won  (as well as the play of Barnum and Thomas' double, double).

MP24

« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2020, 08:27:37 pm »

Any of these ladies?

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #164 on: January 14, 2020, 08:03:23 am »

Any of these ladies?

All I can tell you is that she was white and was not Langerman  - I know her.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #165 on: January 14, 2020, 09:14:31 am »

not AJ Marotte or Sage either?  If they were sitting together, I believe Maryam will have already met both of them.

Hogfan_14

• Band Nerd
« Reply #166 on: January 14, 2020, 09:49:01 am »

Any of these ladies?

Who is the post player on the far right?  In comparison to Dauda and Ellis, she's got to be at least 6'4...

samhog49

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #167 on: January 14, 2020, 10:31:10 am »

From L to R:
Ellis, Sage, Langerman, McGhee, Dauda, Amauri Williams, Eaton, (Coach Neighbors), Clardy, Jaiden Thomas, Jada Williams, and Tyra Robinson.

Robinson is a 2023, plays for LR Parkview (AAU AR Banshees, formerly AR Dazzlers)

flippinhogmana

« Reply #168 on: January 14, 2020, 10:48:56 am »

From L to R:
Ellis, Sage, Langerman, McGhee, Dauda, Amauri Williams, Eaton, (Coach Neighbors), Clardy, Jaiden Thomas, Jada Williams, and Tyra Robinson.

Robinson is a 2023, plays for LR Parkview (AAU AR Banshees, formerly AR Dazzlers)

and is, yes, 6-4

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #169 on: January 14, 2020, 04:53:05 pm »

The two players I saw Sunday were not sitting together.  There was an aisle between them.

logic

« Reply #170 on: January 14, 2020, 08:28:29 pm »

In October 2019, when I suggested the reason most top-ranked Arkansas girl basketball players leave the state may be biology-related (the natural selection advantage of mating outside the clan),  LadybackBBFan pointed out that players would rather play for a proven winner that draws huge crowds.

The following data for 2018/2019 indicates that may very well be the reason.  South Carolina with the number 1 recruiting class (http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/class-rankings/_/class/2019) was number 1 in home attendance averaging 10,406.  Mississippi State with the #6 recruiting class was #5 in-home attendance averaging 8,446. Arkansas with an average home attendance of 2,304 does not rank in the top 50.  http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_basketball_RB/2020/Attendance.pdf See Division 1, page 3.

When we win more, I believe our average home attendance will increase and in-turn recruiting should improve.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #171 on: January 14, 2020, 09:46:50 pm »

I think you’re right — and the attendance at the last game vs. Mizzou was over 4,000!

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2020, 09:48:20 pm »

Not necessarily recruiting related, exactly, but all 3 of the Hog WBB signees for 2019 have been nominated to the McDonald’s All-American game. Not sure if any of them will make it (Eaton probably has the best shot), but I can’t recall a previous time when all of our incoming players were nominated!

https://twitter.com/razorbackwbb/status/1217262520769097728

logic

« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2020, 11:54:22 pm »

I think you’re right — and the attendance at the last game vs. Mizzou was over 4,000!
Most years, the average was over 4,000 for conference games when Gary Blair was coach.  https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/w-basketball-attendance-records/. I believe that will be equaled or exceeded if Arkansas continue winning.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #174 on: January 15, 2020, 08:03:47 am »

In October 2019, when I suggested the reason most top-ranked Arkansas girl basketball players leave the state may be biology-related (the natural selection advantage of mating outside the clan),  LadybackBBFan pointed out that players would rather play for a proven winner that draws huge crowds.

The following data for 2018/2019 indicates that may very well be the reason.  South Carolina with the number 1 recruiting class (http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/class-rankings/_/class/2019) was number 1 in home attendance averaging 10,406.  Mississippi State with the #6 recruiting class was #5 in-home attendance averaging 8,446. Arkansas with an average home attendance of 2,304 does not rank in the top 50.  http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_basketball_RB/2020/Attendance.pdf See Division 1, page 3.

When we win more, I believe our average home attendance will increase and in-turn recruiting should improve.

At the last coaches luncheon, he announced that we were ranked #20 in the country for attendance.  Last year we were 57.  We need to keep climbing.  It really helps when recruits attend our games and see the crowd.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2020, 08:15:04 am »

At the last coaches luncheon, he announced that we were ranked #20 in the country for attendance.  Last year we were 57.  We need to keep climbing.  It really helps when recruits attend our games and see the crowd.

As a former player (as most of you are in some respect or another) I cared if people came out and saw us play.  Our girls are no different.  I have heard them mention in some of their conversation about whether or not they though a crowd would be there for a particular game or not.  I have also heard it discussed by both the players and the coaches (and I again know it to be a fact personally) that you can feed off the energy of the crowd. That is one of the reasons why odds makers credit up to ten points to the home team when they are handicapping games.  And yes it makes a difference to recruits as well.

ladybackfan

• Varsity
« Reply #176 on: January 15, 2020, 09:02:59 am »

It would be SO MUCH FUN if we can FILL the place up for the Kentucky game.  It is for a good cause (Breast Cancer) and adult tickets are ONE DOLLAR.  As for myself I have about 4 other people coming to that game.
My challenge is for anyone to break that and bring FIVE.

But I honestly think that everyone can bring at least ONE other person with them.

#LetsDoIt

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #177 on: January 15, 2020, 11:02:42 am »

The two players I saw Sunday were not sitting together.  There was an aisle between them.

Just going to throw out another name - local kid who might likely be invited to some home games, FHS's Caroline Lyles. She is a 2022 (HS sophomore this year) who is starting to get more attention from college programs. 6'-ish, wing player, good shooter. She has been offered by some smaller schools (e.g., UCA, LA Tech) already, and she came on an unofficial visit during the fall: https://twitter.com/carolinelyles30/status/1193740897256644608

samhog49

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #178 on: January 15, 2020, 02:08:35 pm »

Lyles kid may be someone to keep an eye on.  Good player with potential and from all Ive heard is an awesome kid too.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #179 on: January 15, 2020, 03:38:35 pm »

Just putting down some musings here about out-year recruiting for the WBB team. As has been much discussed in this thread, the 2020 recruits (McGhee, Langerman, and Eaton) have all signed. We have 3 2021 commits - Ashlyn Sage, Emrie Ellis, and Samara Spencer. Prominent remaining 2021 targets include some rather extraordinary blue chip players: in-staters Jersey Wolfenbarger and Maryam Dauda, as well as G Rori Harmon, W AJ Marotte, and P Jada Malone from Texas, and possibly F Sara Puckett from Alabama. There are six spots (at least) available in the 2021 class at this point. It'll be fun to see how this class takes shape.

But what about the 2022 class? There are some clear indications out there about who the staff is targeting for 2022, but taking a look at our current roster makes me pause. The 2022 class would "replace" our current sophomore class on campus. However, our current sophomore class consists of exactly one player: Rokia. We are -- apparently -- hard after several 2022 kids, both in and out of state. These players include current ESPN Top 25 kids Sa'Myah Smith (6'4" G/F, TX), Ysabella Fontleroy (6'1"-ish W, MO), and NLR's Amauri Williams (6'4" P), as well as Darianna Littlepage-Buggs (6'2" W, OK) and LR Parkview's Tyra Robinson (6'2"-ish P).

That's an awful lot of very good talent. What happens if more than one of those top 25 kids wants to come?! Do we only take 5 2021s to leave a spot open for another 2022? Do "the numbers take care of themselves" and we see some of our current Fr or incoming 2020 signees transfer out?

When the 2022 class signs, our roster will look like so:

Sr: Rokia Doumbia
RS Jr: Erynn Barnum
Jr: Marquesha Davis
Jr: Makayla Daniels
Jr: Ginger Reese
Jr: Destinee Oberg
Jr: (Walk on) Avery Hughes
Soph: Elauna Eaton
Soph: Destinee McGhee
Soph: Rylee Langerman
Fr: Samara Spencer
Fr: Emrie Ellis
Fr: Ashlyn Sage
Fr: TBN
FR: TBN
FR: TBN

What do people think? (Besides that we really hope that two of those TBN's are Wolfenbarger and Dauda!)

flippinhogmana

« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2020, 04:34:16 pm »

It's a little different from this one:  two of which were walkons and the two best were ineligible transfers

0   A’Tyanna Gaulden   G   RSo   5-7   Ocilla, Ga.   Americus Sumter HS/Florida State
1   Raven Northcross-Baker   G   Jr   5-9   Malvern, Ark.   Malvern HS/Chipola College
3   Malica Monk   G   Jr   5-5   North Little Rock, Ark.   North Little Rock HS
4   Keiryn Swenson   G/F   Jr   6-1   Wichita, Kan.   Maize HS
10   Kiara Williams   F/C   So   6-1   Little Rock, Ark.   Little Rock Central HS
13   Grayce Spangler   G   Fr   5-11   Fayetteville, Ark.   Fayetteville HS
14   Jailyn Mason   G   So   5-9   Mason, Ohio   William Mason HS
12   Brenna McClure   G   RSo   5-6   Lyons, Kan.   Lyons HS/Hutchinson CC
20   Sydney Stout   F   So   6-0   Bixby, Okla.   Bixby HS
22   Bailey Zimmerman   G/F   Jr   6-0   St. Vincent, Ark.   Wonderview HS
21   Devin Cosper   G   Gr   5-10   Coffeyville, Kan.   Field Kindley HS/Coffeyville CC
24   Taylah Thomas   F   Fr   6-1   Arlington, Texas   Mansfield Timberview HS
30   Macy Weaver   F   Fr   6-3   Davis Junction, Ill.   Stillman Valley HS
33   Chelsea Dungee   G   RSo   5-11   Sapulpa, Okla.   Sapulpa HS/Oklahoma

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2020, 06:37:48 pm »

I see what you did there. ;-)

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2020, 09:28:17 pm »

Not sure if everyone saw this, but RD did a write-up regarding Ysabella Fontleroy’s unofficial visit and the status of her recruitment. Good stuff in here:

https://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2020/jan/19/neighbors-impresses-top-sophomore-20200-1/

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2020, 09:32:22 pm »

This article also clears up some of the confusion about who was seen at Foghorn’s with the staff. If RD is correct (and of course there’s no reason to assume otherwise), Fontleroy was here for the TAMU game. The Foghorn’s recruit was here for the game before vs Tenn-Martin (12/29).

That explains why the Foghorn’s visitor looked nothing like Fontleroy - it probably actually was AJ Marotte from Texas.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #184 on: Today at 09:03:47 am »

This article also clears up some of the confusion about who was seen at Foghorn’s with the staff. If RD is correct (and of course there’s no reason to assume otherwise), Fontleroy was here for the TAMU game. The Foghorn’s recruit was here for the game before vs Tenn-Martin (12/29).

That explains why the Foghorn’s visitor looked nothing like Fontleroy - it probably actually was AJ Marotte from Texas.
Coach Neighbors cleared the Foghorns confusion at his last luncheon.  That was his girl friend.  I do not think she is a basketball recruit.

ladybackfan

• Varsity
« Reply #185 on: Today at 09:41:36 am »

Coach Neighbors cleared the Foghorns confusion at his last luncheon.  That was his girl friend.  I do not think she is a basketball recruit.

Dating them a little young then.  It was definitely a recruit.  And a GOOD one.  Now we just need to get her to sign her name. 👍
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas