• 10,356,930 Posts
• 409,740 Topics
• 23,422 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rebel Podcast - OM fans becoming arrogant, already talking Nat Title  (Read 13446 times)

EconHawg

Re: Rebel Podcast - OM fans becoming arrogant, already talking Nat Title
« Reply #150 on: June 13, 2019, 03:15:54 pm »

Next year we’ll be wearing the real beer hats, with the straw to the mouth.

I've already got mine picked out...

hogfan14

« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2019, 03:19:53 pm »

Actually, in today's climate, I'm surprised there isn't a complaint about the 'bases loaded' beer hats the Hog fans wear.
As in, it glorifies being 'loaded'...or binge drinking...or underage drinking.

I'm not one to take things like this too seriously but I'm more surprised there aren't more complaints at playing songs like Mo Bamba at basketball games with how much of a focus colleges put against objectifying women. It's a little ironic.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2019, 03:53:01 pm »

I'm not one to take things like this too seriously but I'm more surprised there aren't more complaints at playing songs like Mo Bamba at basketball games with how much of a focus colleges put against objectifying women. It's a little ironic.

Is this song actually played at games in BWA???? I just looked up the lyrics and if true this is unconscionable. Again, no prude and I've heard all the words and uttered a few myself but DANG.

TeufelHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Never Forget, Never Yield!
« Reply #153 on: June 13, 2019, 03:57:35 pm »

Yes.  MoBamba was played at football and basketball games last/this year.  Call me an old timer, but yes, I actually sent an email to the AD and asked if he had ever read the lyrics.  Crickets . . . still waiting on a response.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 05:55:50 pm by TeufelHog »

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
« Reply #154 on: June 13, 2019, 04:19:09 pm »

Yes.  MoBamba was played at football and baseball games last/this year.  Call me an old timer, but yes, I actually sent an email to the AD and asked if he had ever read the lyrics.  Crickets . . . still waiting on a response.

Attended several baseball games this spring at a private HS in Little Rock.  Been going to the games for years and at one time did the PA work and walk up songs for the players and the music between innings. Bunch of dads running the thing now (just as I was then) and they played some rap stuff talking about biotches and w's and I walked over and simply stated didn't think the music was appropriate in any setting, much less for this particular school.  The AD was sitting close by though I did not address him. One of the dads said "Hell, I can't understand what they are saying" to which I replied their best bet is to lay off the rap between innings. Attended several more games thru the spring and never heard anymore rap.

Disappointing the AD didn't bother to respond to your concerns.

Deep Shoat

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #155 on: June 13, 2019, 06:23:06 pm »

I've already got mine picked out...

Sup, Smitty?

AlmaHog2011

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2019, 07:47:04 pm »

They all throw their beers in the air and half of them land in the visitor bullpen on the guys warming up or sitting on the bench.

I might be a prude but I don't like that at all. Not acceptable at all. You want to throw the beer on yourself or our fans I don't care but no way it's acceptable to pour any beer on an opposing player..

EconHawg

« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2019, 08:06:44 pm »

Sup, Smitty?

Haha yes.  And the Texas A&M version just blows bubbles.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2019, 10:05:50 pm »

They played "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC once at a Razorback football game. One of those things they play between quarters or whatever.

I have this CD. I've cranked this music up in the my ride before.

However, I don't think it fit playing at the football game.

It's one of those catchy guitar rocks that you can't get out of your head. But the lyrics are:
"She was a fast machine, she kept her motor clean..."
"She told me to come, but I was already there..."
"Knocking me out with those American thighs..."

Um.....whose idea to play this at the football game over the loudspeaker. I was embarrassed.

cypert2

« Reply #159 on: June 14, 2019, 06:13:08 am »

Just listened to the podcast after the third game. Umps definitely cost them game 3.

Bacons Rebellion

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #160 on: June 14, 2019, 07:05:28 am »

When I was doing high school baseball PA I quickly learned I had to screen every walkup song for lyrics. And this was at a "Governor's School" where going to an Ivy League college was not unusual.

(Off topic: One player didn't submit a walkup song before Game 1 one season. His name was von Trapp. He got to hear "The Lonely Goatherd" from the Sound of Music. It was epic -- and lyrics were acceptable.)

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
« Reply #161 on: June 14, 2019, 08:15:35 am »

They played "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC once at a Razorback football game. One of those things they play between quarters or whatever.

I have this CD. I've cranked this music up in the my ride before.

However, I don't think it fit playing at the football game.

It's one of those catchy guitar rocks that you can't get out of your head. But the lyrics are:
"She was a fast machine, she kept her motor clean..."
"She told me to come, but I was already there..."
"Knocking me out with those American thighs..."

Um.....whose idea to play this at the football game over the loudspeaker. I was embarrassed.

Lots of innuendo and double-entendres in those lyrics but have you read the lyrics to Mo Bamba? Not even in the same galaxy.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #162 on: June 14, 2019, 09:51:20 am »

Fans generally have nice things to say about another team....if they win.

Fans generally whine about everything...when they lose.

You can read the same stuff here. I remember a lot of things said after the A&M series...after we lost the series.

All schools have some kind of 'weird' tradition. It's great to the home folks but seems dumb to others.
"Rock Chalk, Jayhawk" --- what the heck does that mean?
"Let's Go, Peay" --- Austin Peay University
The stupid male cheerleaders in their white uniforms doing those dumb gestures at Texas A&M. What's up with that?
What the heck is a Horned Frog?
"War Eagle" --- what the heck is that? I know where it came from. But still...how much sense does that make today? None.
"Calling the Hogs". To an outsider, it looks like the stupidest, most redneck thing ever
Texas Burnt Orange. Is that seriously the best color you can come up with? It looks like vomit. It makes me vomit.
Miss St Cowbells. Another seriously redneck thing. If you don't want to be called a 'cow college' as Bear Bryant said once, then don't ring cowbells
S Car Gamecocks. Gamecocks(roosters) are actually serious to-the-death fighters, which is why they have cockfights for sport. But a chicken is not very intimidating.
Tennessee. Is Rocky Top the only song you know? Do you have to play it 15,000 times? You're just reinforcing your hillbilly image. "Wish that I was on Ole' Rocky Top, Down in the Tennessee Hills...."
West Virginia. Nothing speak hillbilly like having a Davy Crockett lookalike as your mascot. Embrace the mountain man.
Syracuse Orange. Orange...what? You couldn't decide, so you just landed on a color?
Ole Miss. You don't even know what you are. You're afraid to use Rebel anymore. So you halfheartedly use 'Black Bear'. That makes a lot of sense. And nothing says Mississippi like 'land shark'. Sharks are synonomous with Mississippi (sarcasm). And that was based on a defense full of bought Hugh Freeze players anyway, so even more the worse.
OU Sooners. Nothing is as inspiring as honoring land robbers who cheated and beat others to claim land in the 1800s. Let's honor them!
Notre Dame Fighting Irish. What are the Irish known to fight for? Each other at the bar?

I could go on and on about dumb college traditions.
Add your own here....

Horned Frogs are a real animal, although I think they are actually lizards. They are cool looking. Used to be a ton of them in Texas but they are dwindling a bit I think.

FraggleHog

• My name is on Senior Walk
« Reply #163 on: June 14, 2019, 10:03:43 am »

Horned Frogs are a real animal, although I think they are actually lizards. They are cool looking. Used to be a ton of them in Texas but they are dwindling a bit I think.

Yep. Actual name is the Texas Horned Lizard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_horned_lizard

a0ashle

« Reply #164 on: June 14, 2019, 10:15:06 am »

Lots of innuendo and double-entendres in those lyrics but have you read the lyrics to Mo Bamba? Not even in the same galaxy.

This happens all the time and not just sexual in nature, like when conservative politicians play "born in the USA" at rallies and it just gets eaten up.

BroyledNutts

« Reply #165 on: June 14, 2019, 12:33:12 pm »

Yes.  MoBamba was played at football and baseball games last/this year.  Call me an old timer, but yes, I actually sent an email to the AD and asked if he had ever read the lyrics.  Crickets . . . still waiting on a response.

I went to all 33 home games last year, all 6 regional games last year, and all 3 super regional games last year ... I can tell you with 100% assurance that Mo Bamba was never played, in any form, during a game within Baum Stadium. Maybe at Bud Walton, but not Baum.

oldhawg

« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2019, 01:06:46 pm »

This happens all the time and not just sexual in nature, like when conservative politicians play "born in the USA" at rallies and it just gets eaten up.

Just reviewed "Born in the USA" lyrics and "Mo Bamba" lyrics.

IMO "Born in the USA" may have lots of innuendo and double-entredes, but there is nothing left to the imagination in the "Mo Bamba" lyrics.

Have you every heard "Mo Bamba" played at a political rally, either Republican or Democrat?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 02:47:32 pm by oldhawg »

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2019, 02:19:46 pm »

I'm not familiar with "Mo Bamba" and actually have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't want to know, either, from the sound of it.

EconHawg

« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2019, 02:28:53 pm »

I'm not familiar with "Mo Bamba" and actually have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm really not that old at all, but I've never heard it, and I really can't stand rap music at all. Maybe I'm just old at heart.

Tyro3

• Senior
« Reply #169 on: June 14, 2019, 02:34:48 pm »

I'm really not that old at all, but I've never heard it, and I really can't stand rap music at all. Maybe I'm just old at heart.

Just googled lyrics to Mo Bamba, filthy and makes no sense, but I am old (79) so that is a factor, but absolutely should not be played at any public gathering.

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
« Reply #170 on: June 14, 2019, 02:51:28 pm »

I had never heard of it either until it was mentioned in this thread.  Of course, I too am old and don't listen to rap (except the original rap song "Rapper's Delight" by Sugar Hill Gang ;))and find it really annoying.

I would post the lyrics but it would at the least be deleted (and rightfully so) and I might be outright banned (prolly a bit harsh).  Plus I have a couple of friends and some relatives who post here and know who I am.  The lyrics are embarrassing at the best and obscene at the worst.

a0ashle

« Reply #171 on: June 14, 2019, 05:41:56 pm »

IMO "Born in the USA" may have lots of innuendo and double-entredes, but there is nothing left to the imagination in the "Mo Bamba" lyrics.

Have you every heard "Mo Bamba" played at a political rally, either Republican or Democrat?

That's my fault, I didn't make it clear that I was only comparing them on the basis that people don't read the lyrics, I wouldn't put Born in USA up against Mo Bamba in any appropriatness competition, that's for sure.

TeufelHog

« Reply #172 on: June 14, 2019, 05:53:57 pm »

I went to all 33 home games last year, all 6 regional games last year, and all 3 super regional games last year ... I can tell you with 100% assurance that Mo Bamba was never played, in any form, during a game within Baum Stadium. Maybe at Bud Walton, but not Baum.
My apologies.  Meant BASKETBALL games, not baseball.  Fixed it in my original post.

TeufelHog

« Reply #173 on: June 14, 2019, 08:08:58 pm »

They won 3 and we won 2 and all I hear is they have our number. I wouldn't even consider the last game in the SEC Tourney a loss. DVH was trying to get out of there.

We will win probably in two games.
Quote from DVH at today’s CWS Coaches Presser . . . “OM has had our number for the last 4-5 years.”  Good to see the string is broken!

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #174 on: June 14, 2019, 08:53:09 pm »

Sure does buddy..I am born in the great USA and I eat that up at conservative rallies!!

AlmaHog2011

« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2019, 08:54:38 pm »

Born in the USA is a great song. No idea what Mo Bamba is or a is about.

Birminghog

• Ludwig calls the Hogs at Hogville.net
« Reply #176 on: June 14, 2019, 11:33:40 pm »

Sure does buddy..I am born in the great USA and I eat that up at conservative rallies!!
Go back and check out the lyrics. It’s probably not what you think.

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #177 on: June 15, 2019, 01:12:59 am »

Go back and check out the lyrics. It’s probably not what you think.
It's a song condemning the treatment of Vietnam vets by everyone, from the governments mishandling of the war to the reception they received when they returned home.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #178 on: June 15, 2019, 01:02:20 pm »

What time does Ole Miss play today?...oh, wait...

SeldomHere

• Varsity
  • My all-time favorite gender.
« Reply #179 on: June 15, 2019, 01:29:02 pm »

Daily reminder of hating Ole Miss.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #180 on: June 15, 2019, 01:40:51 pm »

What time does Ole Miss play today?...oh, wait...
They're the home team again...

EconHawg

« Reply #181 on: June 15, 2019, 01:49:18 pm »

Olenek's days of hitting doubles against Arkansas are over. Hallelujah!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas