• 10,453,966 Posts
• 412,693 Topics
• 23,594 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: J Wright  (Read 1057 times)

RagingHawgOn

J Wright
« on: June 05, 2019, 10:33:41 am »

Traded by Carolina to the Baltimore Ravens

RagingHawgOn

Re: J Wright
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 10:34:20 am »

SIAP

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

twistitup

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 11:05:08 am »

Be more in Baltimore

King Kong

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 11:18:09 am »

With better QB play he could have been a slot receiver with multiple 700+ yard seasons IMO

oldman1015

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 11:55:29 am »

Goes from a poor passer to a horrible one.

flagstaffhog

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 01:25:20 pm »

Go HOGS Go!

hawgmasta

• All-American Hogvillian
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 05:24:44 pm »

Hmmm Lamar Jackson I donít know how that will work out for him. I guess the slot receiver for a guy like Jackson might be one of his favorite targets to get him out of trouble and in rhythm.

jj202020

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 08:23:51 pm »

Hope itís not a trade and cut situation to make cap room

EastexHawg

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 01:36:18 pm »

Maybe he can block for Jackson when he takes off running.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 12:10:34 am »

In 2017, he was the 2nd most accurate QB in the NFL from 11-20 yards out and t he 8th most accurate from 20+. He has struggled more than other qb's with the shorter passes so please don't think I'm saying he's an elite passer. That link didn't give (or I didn't see at least) what his overall accuracy was in 2017, but it was almost 63% in 2018. His career completion was about 58% prior to 2018.

So, I wouldn't say Newton is a horrible passer. He is among the very best in the NFL at making the harder throws, and his penchant to push the ball deeper means that he lives in the lower accuracy zone. Making up exact values in the following example, but let's say that the average completion on 20+ is 33% and 11-20 is 45%. Newton could be hitting 45% on the deep throws and 60% on those mid throws, but if he's doing 70% of his throws in those deeper ranges as opposed to 10 yards or less, even if he was a bit above average on the shorter throws, by nature of choosing the longer throws, his overall percentage would be lower than somebody who has 70% of throws in the 10 yards or less range.

He's no Rodgers, Brees, Brady, or Wilson throwing the ball, but I wouldn't say he's a poor thrower. Just not the most efficient quarterback. And lets face it, offensively, he is that offense. Not like he has had the ability to simply trust his surrounding players to get extra yards. Benji had most of a good season as a rookie and that was it. Olsen has been good at TE but often injured. McCaffrey is just now coming into his own a bit. If he doesn't move the ball downfield, not a lot of other people on his team can.

oldman1015

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 01:12:03 pm »

In 2017, he was the 2nd most accurate QB in the NFL from 11-20 yards out and t he 8th most accurate from 20+. He has struggled more than other qb's with the shorter passes so please don't think I'm saying he's an elite passer. That link didn't give (or I didn't see at least) what his overall accuracy was in 2017, but it was almost 63% in 2018. His career completion was about 58% prior to 2018.

So, I wouldn't say Newton is a horrible passer. He is among the very best in the NFL at making the harder throws, and his penchant to push the ball deeper means that he lives in the lower accuracy zone. Making up exact values in the following example, but let's say that the average completion on 20+ is 33% and 11-20 is 45%. Newton could be hitting 45% on the deep throws and 60% on those mid throws, but if he's doing 70% of his throws in those deeper ranges as opposed to 10 yards or less, even if he was a bit above average on the shorter throws, by nature of choosing the longer throws, his overall percentage would be lower than somebody who has 70% of throws in the 10 yards or less range.

He's no Rodgers, Brees, Brady, or Wilson throwing the ball, but I wouldn't say he's a poor thrower. Just not the most efficient quarterback. And lets face it, offensively, he is that offense. Not like he has had the ability to simply trust his surrounding players to get extra yards. Benji had most of a good season as a rookie and that was it. Olsen has been good at TE but often injured. McCaffrey is just now coming into his own a bit. If he doesn't move the ball downfield, not a lot of other people on his team can.
Is the 11-20 yard start balls thrown in the air that far or dump offs to a running back or receiver 2 yds downfield? He was killed in the Super Bowl by not rushing him and making him throw downfield. if he can't run he can't beat you. My opinion.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 02:01:48 pm »

Is the 11-20 yard start balls thrown in the air that far or dump offs to a running back or receiver 2 yds downfield? He was killed in the Super Bowl by not rushing him and making him throw downfield. if he can't run he can't beat you. My opinion.

It's about being in the air for that distance downfield. Does not include yards after the catch. Or horizontal distance of the pass.

Also, there's not many teams that that strategy doesn't work for. Heck, that's the best strategy against the patriots. Stop their run game, cover up Gronkowski, and have press-man coverage on their receivers. So long as your cb's are better than their WR's, you are going to win that game. Team can't run the ball, can't throw it short, can't even run any timing plays. Only option is to try and throw it deep and that requires holding on to the ball longer, which means you will likely get hit as a QB more. And virtually every qb starts to throw the ball worse in a game the more they get hit. So yeah, have cb's that are better than the WR's, have pass rushers that can also stop the run, and have good safeties that can minimize the damage on any broken plays and voila. Denver had one of the best defenses in the league when they beat the Panthers who were primarily a smoke and mirrors offense that used the run game to trick and confuse defenses and then burned the defense over the top. Same reason the smoke and mirrors offenses don't work too well in the SEC unless your offensive talent is able to not get out-talented by the defenses.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 02:15:00 pm by bennyl08 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas