• 10,330,600 Posts
• 408,952 Topics
• 23,360 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nebraska Opening  (Read 5331 times)

bulldog04

Nebraska Opening
« on: June 03, 2019, 05:58:07 pm »

Darin Erstad stepped down. Nate Thompson was an assistant there and has been around the Midwest nearly his whole career

ThisTeetsTaken

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said
Re: Nebraska Opening
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 06:05:21 pm »

Darin Erstad stepped down. Nate Thompson was an assistant there and has been around the Midwest nearly his whole career
Hush yo mouth!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Supermark101

• Hogvillian
  • We all need a little Love
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 06:14:15 pm »

He could do better than that.

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I liked Big Mike but it was a lie
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 06:15:05 pm »

I haven't heard that he has interest but I don't expect to hear anything right now. I'll see if I can dig around

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 06:45:25 pm »

Man, that would hurt definitely with recruiting, I think!  I'd think if he sticks around another year or 2, he'd be the hottest assistant.  He'd get to reap the benefits of Martin and HK junior year along with some younger studs.  But, I'd assume a mid level HC gig would be attractive. 

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 06:54:30 pm »

Went to one of their boards. Still early but one poster had this. I'm sure their insight is as good as ours usually is about coaching hires.

I would imagine a new topic will get spun off this but this is as good of a place to start as any.   

I imagine early candidates will be Will Bolt, Justin Seely for obvious reasons.  A&M fans are really down on Bolt and seem to be fed up with Childress too.

I think Rick Heller is a damn fine coach but I'm not sure he'd leave Iowa for Nebraska for optics reasons.  Brink truck/dream hire would be Childress, he's making $350k at A&M.

Other interesting names...

Jim Penders UConn
Andrew Checketts--UC Santa Barbara Coach
Eric Newman--UC San Diego Coach

I also really like Steve Holm but he just took the Illinois State job last year so I imagine there is zero chance he leaves

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 06:59:16 pm »

From another site I got this "nut" post. I almost busted out laughing when I saw DVH mentioned. Then I really did laugh when I read the "lateral move" comment. Some people should not be allowed to post.

Justin Seely - Assistant Coach Texas A&M (Played at Nebraska)
Will Bolt - Assistant Coach Texas A&M (Played at Nebraska)
Rob Childress - Head Coach Texas A&M (Pitching coach at Nebraska)
Dave Van Horn - Head Coach Arkansas (Head coach at Nebraska)
Dan Heefner - Head Coach Dallas Baptist
Matt Deggs - Head Coach Sam Houston State
Nate Thompson - Assistant Coach Arkansas
Matt Podjenski - Head Coach Navarro Junior College (From Omaha, Nebraska)
Brian O'Connor - Head Coach Virginia (From Omaha, Nebraska)

Those are just a few. Many are pipe dreams, like Dave Van Horn leaving an SEC job for a lateral move to the B1G. But just thought i'd throw it out there since someone else will. I'd go the up and coming assistant route. Seemed to work pretty well for Indiana with Coach Lemonis, and I think you can get a higher caliber coach. Not sure a coach in the Sun Belt or WAC is leaving to come coach in the B1G.

If anyone hears of more, throw them on here.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 07:03:31 pm »

Nebraska pitching coach Ted Silva has been named interim coach. I'm sure he is a caretaker or the program and recruiting until they name the new "real" coach.

bulldog04

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 07:08:30 pm »

I just wonder if Vitello may set a trend. An elite recruiter at an Sec powerhouse taking their first head coaching job. Vitello had some other chances but wanted in the Sec. Not sure what Thompsonís goals are

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 07:18:20 pm »

I just wonder if Vitello may set a trend. An elite recruiter at an Sec powerhouse taking their first head coaching job. Vitello had some other chances but wanted in the Sec. Not sure what Thompsonís goals are

Id think some one try to chase that type of hire until it proves that Vitello is probably just really really good. 

EconHawg

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 07:18:49 pm »

Kendall Rogers on twitter:

More @Husker_Baseball thoughts: If Iím #Nebraska, Justin Seely OR Will Bolt are on my list, along w/ @UIBaseballís Rick Heller. Heller is a rock star. And if you wanted to hit a grand slam, try to snag Rob Childress away from Texas A&M. Donít think heíd go, but he loves the state

Then later:

Three more guys I would target: #DBUís Dan Heefner, #SHSUís Matt Deggs and #Arkansas assistant Nate Thompson also would be on my list. Not sure Heef or Deggs would go to NU, but never know.

ucahogfan

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 08:19:42 pm »

So looking at the the list of candidates, it is pretty clear what Nebraska is trying to do - get back to the DVH era.

Bolt and Seely were players at Nebraska when DVH was there as the HC.  I think Bolt will be one of their top options from a fan base perspective as he is well regarded there.

Childress won't leave TAMU, but he is the star pupil of the DVH coaching tree and was said to love it in Nebraska.

Deggs could move to the Power 5, but has a good situation at Sam Houston State.  Also another member of the DVH coaching tree.

If they can't land a current HC from the DVH coaching tree, I can understand why they would want to go with the new star pupil - Nate Thompson.  Not only does he have experience in Lincoln, he also has two years of being able to learn from the best.  From the article when he was hired at Arkansas, one player he coached in Lincoln was Jake Opitz.  So Thompson has now coached two of the Opitz brothers.

However, I think Thompson can do better than Nebraska.  He is definitely a rising star in the coaching profession and a couple more years on the Hill could land him an excellent job.

BroyledNutts

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 08:35:28 pm »

However, I think Thompson can do better than Nebraska.  He is definitely a rising star in the coaching profession and a couple more years on the Hill could land him an excellent job.

I hope he doesn't go ... he's the reason our offense has been a monster for two seasons ... we need him here.

ucahogfan

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 08:37:41 pm »

I hope he doesn't go ... he's the reason our offense has been a monster for two seasons ... we need him here.
I completely agree.  He is as good as they come coaching hitting.  Also showing his chops as an elite recruiter too.  While he might be a couple years away from being named an AHC, I think we need to do whatever it takes to keep him around.  Plus, he is an absolute grinder who has earned everything in his coaching career up to this point.

DeltaHog66

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 08:46:16 pm »

Lol at the the guy who even mentioned DVH..   I think theyíll be sadly disappointed. 
I dont think Thompson would want it, when he could hold out a year or two for a better/much easier job.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 08:52:59 pm »

was anyone else as shocked as me to see Childers only making 350k at ATM?

ucahogfan

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 08:54:35 pm »

was anyone else as shocked as me to see Childers only making 350k at ATM?
Yeah, I'm not sure if I really believe that.  I would have figured it would be $500K+ easily considering both DVH and Mainieiri make $1M+ when everything is considered.

Wasn't Johnson making $350K per year before he went to Minnesota and Hobbs is making like $300K?

BroyledNutts

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2019, 09:00:58 pm »

I completely agree.  He is as good as they come coaching hitting.  Also showing his chops as an elite recruiter too.  While he might be a couple years away from being named an AHC, I think we need to do whatever it takes to keep him around.  Plus, he is an absolute grinder who has earned everything in his coaching career up to this point.

I wasn't sold on Nate when he came here ... I knew MSU could hit, but I wasn't sure about his coaching, nor recruiting skills ... I'm sold now.
I would not have a problem having Thompson as a quasi coach in waiting, if DVH ever considered hanging it up ... he is an elite recruiter, an apparent elite hitting coach, and he has that DVH edge that Arkansas thrives on ...

ucahogfan

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2019, 09:06:13 pm »

I wasn't sold on Nate when he came here ... I knew MSU could hit, but I wasn't sure about his coaching, nor recruiting skills ... I'm sold now.
I would not have a problem having Thompson as a quasi coach in waiting, if DVH ever considered hanging it up ... he is an elite recruiter, an apparent elite hitting coach, and he has that DVH edge that Arkansas thrives on ...
I was not sold on Thompson either, but DVH made a home run hire.  Eiermann was a monster under Thompson and a potential #1 pick in 2018, but fell off big time when Thompson came to Arkansas and fell in the draft because of it.

The guys he has gotten in the 2020 class tell me all I need to know about his recruiting.  It is special.

I would not have a problem with it either.  I know a lot of us would like to see Vitello come back, but I would have no objection to Thompson either.  DVH is 58 now so I figure it is probably 7-8 more years before he calls it a career, but who truly knows there.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2019, 09:12:53 pm »

I was not sold on Thompson either, but DVH made a home run hire.  Eiermann was a monster under Thompson and a potential #1 pick in 2018, but fell off big time when Thompson came to Arkansas and fell in the draft because of it.

The guys he has gotten in the 2020 class tell me all I need to know about his recruiting.  It is special.

I would not have a problem with it either.  I know a lot of us would like to see Vitello come back, but I would have no objection to Thompson either.  DVH is 58 now so I figure it is probably 7-8 more years before he calls it a career, but who truly knows there.

Im not sure Thompson is the Vitello elite, but he has far better than average.  I think is able to parlay the success of DVH steady program, Vitello's boost and our progress the last few years, and make all of that in to what we are right now.  I feel as if losing him might buck that trend, but I also felt that same way when we lost Vitello and I was wrong. 

I am young but I am much like an old fart and skeptical of change when something is working this well. I mean what is the worst we can say about Thompson?  He is aggressive at times on base paths?  And I think I'm reaching there

DeltaHog66

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2019, 09:13:29 pm »

Donít like to even think about dvh retiring but I think you haft to put Wes in there with Vitello and Nate. Any of the three for me

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2019, 09:18:29 pm »

Donít like to even think about dvh retiring but I think you haft to put Wes in there with Vitello and Nate. Any of the three for me

Wes and or Vitello and pray you don't have to go further than that.

ucahogfan

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2019, 09:25:53 pm »

Im not sure Thompson is the Vitello elite, but he has far better than average.  I think is able to parlay the success of DVH steady program, Vitello's boost and our progress the last few years, and make all of that in to what we are right now.  I feel as if losing him might buck that trend, but I also felt that same way when we lost Vitello and I was wrong. 

I am young but I am much like an old fart and skeptical of change when something is working this well. I mean what is the worst we can say about Thompson?  He is aggressive at times on base paths?  And I think I'm reaching there
Vitello came in very much a proven commodity at the high D1 level with about a decade of experience between Mizzou and TCU as one of the paid assistants.  Thompson did not have that on his resume.  I have heard great things about both, but they are different style recruiters.  I feel like Thompson is one of the top assistants in the game, but Vitello was also up there in the same tier.  Vitello is the better recruiter, but Thompson is the better offensive coach.

You can't go wrong with either as the potential future Head Hog.

bulldog04

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2019, 09:51:33 pm »

I think it was pretty much know in the college baseball world that we would only have Nate a few years

ucahogfan

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2019, 09:52:50 pm »

I think it was pretty much know in the college baseball world that we would only have Nate a few years
That is how it should be for an elite college program.  Always growing that coaching tree and letting your guys go be successful as a HC.  DVH assistants are in high demand.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2019, 09:54:52 pm »

Good thing we got Van Horn locked up.

Just kidding...

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2019, 09:55:55 pm »

That is how it should be for an elite college program.  Always growing that coaching tree and letting your guys go be successful as a HC.  DVH assistants are in high demand.

I think DVH has built such a machine that the budget is there to continue to go after the top guys every 2-3 years.  I don't think he can go pay 7 figures to a guy, but he should have competitive funds plus a little for either assistant when it comes time to pursue another.  I think we will be shopping frequently under the rest of DVH tenure, and I don't mean that negatively.

ucahogfan

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2019, 09:58:42 pm »

I think DVH has built such a machine that the budget is there to continue to go after the top guys every 2-3 years.  I don't think he can go pay 7 figures to a guy, but he should have competitive funds plus a little for either assistant when it comes time to pursue another.  I think we will be shopping frequently under the rest of DVH tenure, and I don't mean that negatively.
It will be a long time before a college baseball assistant gets 7 figures.  Heck, very few head coaches get a 7 figure salary.

IMO, a sign of an excellent, healthy program means you are replacing an assistant every two years or so as they take head coaching jobs.  Two of the better coaches at doing that recently are DVH and John Cohen when he was at Mississippi State.

AugustaHog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2019, 08:16:23 am »

I would definitely throw some $$$ at Childress.  It's not like TAMU can't match it, but I'd force their hand.  $325k is chump change for the quality of coach that he is.  He's not on that elite tier, but he's not far off.  DVH is close to a mil, so you figure that Childress should be in that 700k range.  I'm not sure Nebraska has that kind of coin for the baseball program.  I wouldn't leave the Ags for Nebraska, but shooters gotta shoot if you're the Huskers AD.

HogPharmer

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2019, 09:58:46 am »

Yeah, I'm not sure if I really believe that.  I would have figured it would be $500K+ easily considering both DVH and Mainieiri make $1M+ when everything is considered.

Wasn't Johnson making $350K per year before he went to Minnesota and Hobbs is making like $300K?

Well when you're locked into a guaranteed $70M contract with your football coach, that may tighten up the wallet a bit on paying your other coaches lol

dotnet

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2019, 10:10:21 am »

This is my story too... but I think dvh coaches for at least ten more.

dotnet

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2019, 10:12:19 am »

You guys are missing something on Childress. Over half the A&M fan base appears to want him gone. While I dont think his job is in jeopardy... it may be a good fresh start for him and the ability to dominate the big 10

HogPharmer

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2019, 10:21:42 am »

You guys are missing something on Childress. Over half the A&M fan base appears to want him gone. While I dont think his job is in jeopardy... it may be a good fresh start for him and the ability to dominate the big 10

Maybe they can get Paul Mainieri. I'd say that even more of the LSU fan base want him gone after the way their season has gone. They may be singing a different tune now though going into supers against a team that arguable didn't even deserve to make it to the tournament and (IMO) only got in to preserve their streak coupled with it being their coach's last season. I do hope FSU rolls the corn dogs though.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2019, 10:58:35 am »

I would definitely throw some $$$ at Childress.  It's not like TAMU can't match it, but I'd force their hand.  $325k is chump change for the quality of coach that he is.  He's not on that elite tier, but he's not far off.  DVH is close to a mil, so you figure that Childress should be in that 700k range.  I'm not sure Nebraska has that kind of coin for the baseball program.  I wouldn't leave the Ags for Nebraska, but shooters gotta shoot if you're the Huskers AD.

Iíd make Childress win something first or make a run or two.  Either way, I couldnít believe he was in the 300ís, but 700 seems high. 

bulldog04

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2019, 11:19:06 am »

And his recruiting class took a big hit

bulldog04

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2019, 11:22:47 am »

When DVH retires we will have a hell of a coaching tree to pull from unlike football and basketball.  And he will more than likely will pick his replacement so we wonít have to look hard

pigroots

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2019, 12:02:39 pm »

Well when you're locked into a guaranteed $70M contract with your football coach, that may tighten up the wallet a bit on paying your other coaches lol
Not in Aggieland...they print money down there

pigroots

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2019, 12:04:53 pm »

A&M's problem in baseball is much like ours in Football. You can be a pretty good team and get drilled in the SEC West

311Hog

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2019, 12:05:43 pm »

A&M's problem in baseball is much like ours in Football. You can be a pretty good team and get drilled in the SEC West

i don't think their problem has been the SEC as much as losing in the regionals.

ThisTeetsTaken

• He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2019, 12:19:32 pm »

If Iím Thompson or any up and coming coach, I wait for a southern school job.  IMO a Northern school can wreck your career.  They donít have the talent pool of players, the weather inhibits your ability to even play/practice the game, and for the most part Northern schools just donít invest in their baseball programs.  The South is where itís at for college baseball coaches and especially the SEC.

311Hog

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2019, 12:21:38 pm »

If Iím Thompson or any up and coming coach, I wait for a southern school job.  IMO a Northern school can wreck your career.  They donít have the talent pool of players, the weather inhibits your ability to even play/practice the game, and for the most part Northern schools just donít invest in their baseball programs.  The South is where itís at for college baseball coaches and especially the SEC.
to some we are a northern school =)

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2019, 12:55:26 pm »

South, West and East coasts. So in other words the SEC, PAC and ACC.

PorkRyan

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2019, 02:24:57 pm »

A&M is one of the worst hitting teams in college baseball.  A guy like Heefner that knows hitting would be scary there. 

ucahogfan

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2019, 09:17:00 pm »

Which is pretty funny when you consider he has taken them to the tourney every year since 2007 including 2 trips to Omaha and 4 more trips to Super Regionals.  That is the sign of a very good program, but the 4th best in its own division behind LSU, Arkansas and Mississippi State.  However, it is probably still a top 10 job in college baseball.  I'll also include Ole Miss up there, but just behind TAMU.

Their offense this year was very, very bad.  Childress handles the pitching coach duties and his two assistants handle the offense.  Might see him nudge either Bolt or Seely to go home to Nebraska so he can have staff turnover without letting a former player go.

Nebraska is probably the best Big 10 job.  Strong fan support for a Big 10 school and Childress would be able to recruit both in the Midwest and in Texas.  That would be an absolute home run hire for the Huskers, but there is a 0.01% chance of it happening.

ucahogfan

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2019, 09:18:13 pm »

When DVH retires we will have a hell of a coaching tree to pull from unlike football and basketball.  And he will more than likely will pick his replacement so we wonít have to look hard
Didn't Debriyn pick DVH to replace him?

We have had two baseball coaches in the last 50 years which is insane to think about.  When DVH does retire, he will bring his best former assistant to come home and take over for him.

dotnet

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2019, 09:32:31 pm »

but there is a 0.01% chance of it happening.

This is wrong.. and Iím not guessing. But itís still more likely than not that heíll be at A&M next year.

I agree with your analysis of the A&M situation... but I also think it makes sense the fan base is frustrated. You would be too if you were the Texas school in the sec and were fourth best in baseball

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2019, 09:35:29 pm »

We have had two baseball coaches in the last 50 years which is insane to think about.  When DVH does retire, he will bring his best former assistant to come home and take over for him.
Possibly, but he was a Broyles hire.
It was one of the list things FB was allowed to do without constant interference from John White.

bulldog04

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2019, 09:39:52 pm »

Yeah. DVH knew he was retiring before anyone other than his wife and he planted the bug in his ear. When Debriyn told Broyles he was retiring, Broyles asked him if he thought we could get Van Horn and Debriyn say yes. Go listen to the hogpod episode about Debriyn. Itís golden

ucahogfan

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2019, 09:40:06 pm »

This is wrong.. and Iím not guessing. But itís still more likely than not that heíll be at A&M next year.

I agree with your analysis of the A&M situation... but I also think it makes sense the fan base is frustrated. You would be too if you were the Texas school in the sec and were fourth best in baseball
Yeah, after I posted that, I saw where someone said Childress also has a home in the Lincoln area (not sure if that is true) so he at least is still attached to the area.

I can also understand TAMU's frustration in that regards.  I think someone like Kendall Rogers would put the TAMU job above us and Mississippi State due to it being in Texas, but everything else goes our way.  I think the frustration is more around the lack of offense because they always have good arms.  I think TAMU has been hit hard by the draft the last couple of years, but I also think they have struggled to land elite offensive talents.

AugustaHog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2019, 09:44:28 am »

TAMU is a good job.  I don't think anyone with sense would put it above Arkansas though.  Our facilities are second to none.  Our tradition is pretty salty, especially recent history.  We are paying elite money to our head coach and paying for the assistants he wants.  This is a case where that hand-off (hopefully many years from now!) has to go well.  We can't miss on that hire.  If we continue the success with DVH and follow him with an absolute stud, we have the ability to put ourselves among the elite historically.  Just need a few natties!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas