• 10,349,956 Posts
• 409,554 Topics
• 23,410 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oklahoma Drill  (Read 1678 times)

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

Oklahoma Drill
« on: May 24, 2019, 02:19:29 pm »

And Bull in the Ring banned by the NFL

EDIT:
Itís related because it could come to college in a few years and impact the Razorbacks

Carl Lazlo

• Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.
Re: Oklahoma Drill
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 05:01:28 pm »

Two of the best drills to simulate live game action and get a read on who will be the biggest contributors. I predict NFL teams will slightly modify the drill and call it by a different name.  The pussification of football continues.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 06:51:06 pm »

And Bull in the Ring banned by the NFL

EDIT:
Itís related because it could come to college in a few years and impact the Razorbacks

The Oklahoma Drill is one of the best contact drills in football. It is "mano-a-mano". It separates the players who are real players from the also-rans on the O and D Line. It builds confidence, it develops energy in a team, it makes RB's run hard to the daylight, developing vision to a certain extent. Mostly it makes them run hard. For the OL and DL it teaches them to play hard to gain or lose a few yards. Mental toughness. The "Bull in the Ring" is one thing, but this drill really ramps up personal toughness and if you can block a guy one-on-one in this situation, you'll have no trouble with double teams and you will be stronger in the face of adversity.

Big mistake to eliminate the "Oklahoma Drill" in the name of "player safety".

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 07:18:10 pm »

Just put a flag on them

LZH

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 07:31:32 pm »

Just put a flag on them

Maxi-pad......

supersaint

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 07:49:27 pm »

Escape From Saigon
Thatís a manís drill.

LZH

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 07:50:23 pm »

Escape From Saigon
Thatís a manís drill.

....and sounds like one that should be kept in football.

Dr. Leonard Ford

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 07:55:30 pm »

Anyone else remember "tackle the man with the ball"?  This was even before pee wee football.  Hell, you'd have 10, 12, 15 kids tossing the ball up and whoever wound up with it had to work his way to a TD.....if he got tackled, he tossed the ball up and here we go again.

I can assure you that there are folks who wanna make grown men [CENSORED] at all cost.  I remember going from the second to the third to the fourth grade that I was getting a little bigger and a little faster.  Hell, I wanted the ball.....and if you couldn't run around me, you'd have to drag me along with you.  As a sick kid, there's no way I'd have been the same person if I/we didn't all participate in all-out physical contact as a boy - we're not even talking about organized football, here.  Just kids measuring dicks when they are supposed to.

Kill the Man

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 07:57:00 pm »

This kind of thing is going to be gone in 10 years from all levels of football.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 08:03:31 pm »

Escape From Saigon
Thatís a manís drill.

Yes, a punishing drill that built strength and agility, but far different than the Oklahoma Drill. I've done things similar to the drill that you mention with varying sequences, it just had a different name and went the same 100 yards. But it is a non-contact drill. Tough drill, but not the same. 

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 08:56:23 pm »

Matt Ryan

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 09:00:17 pm »

Anyone else remember "tackle the man with the ball"?  This was even before pee wee football.  Hell, you'd have 10, 12, 15 kids tossing the ball up and whoever wound up with it had to work his way to a TD.....if he got tackled, he tossed the ball up and here we go again.

I can assure you that there are folks who wanna make grown men [CENSORED] at all cost.  I remember going from the second to the third to the fourth grade that I was getting a little bigger and a little faster.  Hell, I wanted the ball.....and if you couldn't run around me, you'd have to drag me along with you.  As a sick kid, there's no way I'd have been the same person if I/we didn't all participate in all-out physical contact as a boy - we're not even talking about organized football, here.  Just kids measuring dicks when they are supposed to.

Is that what yíall actually called it or are you just being polite. We called it...something else...

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 09:00:33 pm »

The OTR

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Filling in for OTR until we win an SEC road game
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 07:33:42 am »

The Oklahoma Drill is one of the best contact drills in football. It is "mano-a-mano". It separates the players who are real players from the also-rans on the O and D Line. It builds confidence, it develops energy in a team, it makes RB's run hard to the daylight, developing vision to a certain extent. Mostly it makes them run hard. For the OL and DL it teaches them to play hard to gain or lose a few yards. Mental toughness. The "Bull in the Ring" is one thing, but this drill really ramps up personal toughness and if you can block a guy one-on-one in this situation, you'll have no trouble with double teams and you will be stronger in the face of adversity.

Big mistake to eliminate the "Oklahoma Drill" in the name of "player safety".

Disagree entirely...NFL players don't need to be toughened up.  They are plenty strong, aggressive, and tough.  One drill being banned will not affect the quality of play on Sunday's one bit.  Saving them from unnecessary contact in drills like this will in fact probably only improve the quality of play. 

Hate to this argumentative this early on a Saturday morning in the off season.

FANONTHEHILL

• Go Hogs!
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2019, 07:50:34 am »

I can see both sides of the issue regarding these drills.  I donít think that youíll ever see these drill removed from football at certain levels.  From Junior high through college level football, these drills are a great way to evaluate talent. When players  are JR High & High school age, they normally have been taught proper form and technique to keep these drills safe.  Itís as close as you can get to game situation football. Thatís a very valuable tool. 

I do see these drills being prohibited in younger leagues.  In my own personal experience with youth football with my youngest son, the coaches of the first team he ever played on ran ďBull in the ringĒ as the first drill in day one of practice.  No instruction on form, head position, pad level, hit what you see (keep your head up so you donít break your neck) and so on.  That was dangerous for 8 year olds.  It was simple physics and three kids got hurt that day. I asked coaches about it and the reply was ďthey will figure it outĒ.  That was the one and only day my son was on that team. 

As for it being used in the NFL, thatís based on the NFLPA.  The union regulates so much of what teams can require of players.  Limited drills, the duration of drills, the amount of contact between helmet only, helmet/girdle, and full pads, whether OTAs are really ďoptionalĒ etc.  The NFLPA is one of the most powerful unions for its members.  These drills might make a difference for someone trying to make a squad, but for players that have solidified their spots on the roster, their previous game film and college films show they belong.

There are lots of drills and practice related activities that have changed over the years.  Just add limiting these drills to the list. I for one, donít like high school 7 on 7.  I think itís great for developing offensive timing, but look at how poor defensive back tackling has gotten in the 7 on 7 era.  Cover the best you can and play two hand touch all summer, then be expected to hit people and bring them down in the fall.  Iím a big believer in muscle memory and the transition from summer 7 on 7 touch to hitting people in the fall isnít easy.  Defensive play has suffered as a result.  Thatís carries over from high school to the players in college.  Combine it with hitting restrictions in the college game now, and defensive back tackling gets worse and worse. 

All that to say, I donít see any JR high, High School, or college coach eliminating these contact drills unless a district or college makes it s policy.  If they do make it a policy, they are likely going to have a tough time retaining or hiring new coaches.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2019, 07:52:13 am »

Disagree entirely...NFL players don't need to be toughened up.  They are plenty strong, aggressive, and tough.  One drill being banned will not affect the quality of play on Sunday's one bit.  Saving them from unnecessary contact in drills like this will in fact probably only improve the quality of play. 

Hate to this argumentative this early on a Saturday morning in the off season.

You aren't being argumentative, at least I don't see it that way. You just have a different opinion. But if it happens in the NFL (and I could care less about the NFL) it may possibly find its way to college football and I do care very much about that.

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2019, 08:15:35 am »

Travis Swanson retired in his 20s this week because the toll on the body the game takes.  In that thread, most commented how only 20 year olds will be able to play the game soon. Yet everytime player safety is taken into account a large group on here calls them [CENSORED]. Which way is it?

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2019, 08:27:44 am »

Travis Swanson retired in his 20s this week because the toll on the body the game takes.  In that thread, most commented how only 20 year olds will be able to play the game soon. Yet everytime player safety is taken into account a large group on here calls them [CENSORED]. Which way is it?

That's not what this indicates although, like all linemen, he has had injuries which isn't uncommon.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001031221/article/exlions-center-travis-swanson-announces-retirement

The OTR

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2019, 08:57:29 am »

Too many of these guys ending up retiring early or experiencing long term health effects.  Anything that can be done to make it safer for the players is a plus.  I guarantee you there's not a person on here who would be able to tell the difference in quality of play whether they did drills like this or not.  None of us are that astute.  Just a bunch of crotchety old guys with beer guts who sit and say the players today aren't as tough as the good old days when they played.  Really that is a remarkably stupid point of view for any of us to take.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2019, 09:07:11 am »

People can call it whatever they want, but it is an attempt to pussify football.  In the next ten years, rules will change every single year, gradually getting rid of things we've all loved about football since we can remember.  By the time those ten years is up, women will be allowed in the league, there will be all kinds of rules made about tackling, contact, hand contact, etc.  It's coming whether you believe it or not.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2019, 09:36:28 am »

People can call it whatever they want, but it is an attempt to pussify football.  In the next ten years, rules will change every single year, gradually getting rid of things we've all loved about football since we can remember.  By the time those ten years is up, women will be allowed in the league, there will be all kinds of rules made about tackling, contact, hand contact, etc.  It's coming whether you believe it or not.
In the 1920s when the game was radically changed to make it safer you would have opposed that if you were around. (Maybe you were). The game and the works evolves, you will enjoy life more if you adapt with it.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2019, 09:52:36 am »

This kind of thing is going to be gone in 10 years from all levels of football.

And if the trend continues then football will not exist at some point in its current state. Nobody will want to watch it or go to games.

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2019, 09:58:53 am »

My perspective is basically that at high level football thereís virtually nothing you gain from the drill, and the risk of injury is so high that we should probably eliminate it in the NFL and probably heavily limit it at lower levels

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2019, 10:04:06 am »

And if the trend continues then football will not exist at some point in its current state. Nobody will want to watch it or go to games.

Iím not sure what a practice drill with minimal impact on the game youíre watching has to do with footballís existence, other than possibly the reverse impact than youíre implying due to a lack of players

Rudy Baylor

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2019, 10:05:49 am »

My perspective is basically that at high level football thereís virtually nothing you gain from the drill, and the risk of injury is so high that we should probably eliminate it in the NFL and probably heavily limit it at lower levels

yep, I doubt any NFL team has done that drill in years

ricepig

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2019, 10:08:51 am »

yep, I doubt any NFL team has done that drill in years

Patricia used it at Detroit last year, but basically it hasnít been used in the NFL since 2011.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2019, 10:11:00 am »

Iím not sure what a practice drill with minimal impact on the game youíre watching has to do with footballís existence, other than possibly the reverse impact than youíre implying due to a lack of players

Yep your post is an example of how some people just donít get it..........ask the guy whoís picture you are using if drills like that didnít help him become who he is.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2019, 10:17:31 am »

Yep your post is an example of how some people just donít get it..........ask the guy whoís picture you are using if drills like that didnít help him become who he is.
It thought it was one of these drills that helped him become who he is.

hawginbigd1

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2019, 10:37:36 am »

I think this is more lip service from the NFL than anything, they aren't doing a lot of Oklahoma drill or blood alley as we called it. I  think the drill is an important tool at the younger level to assess and coach performance. It can be done with some safety built in, another aspect for the younger players is confidence, you can build it if you know what you are doing, or you can destroy it if you don't.

LZH

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2019, 10:39:40 am »

Surrender...

Not now....it's my time of the month.  I'm just a little cranky.

LZH

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2019, 10:44:32 am »

Too many of these guys ending up retiring early or experiencing long term health effects.  Anything that can be done to make it safer for the players is a plus. I guarantee you there's not a person on here who would be able to tell the difference in quality of play whether they did drills like this or not.  None of us are that astute.  Just a bunch of crotchety old guys with beer guts who sit and say the players today aren't as tough as the good old days when they played.  Really that is a remarkably stupid point of view for any of us to take.

I can't totally agree.  Somewhat?....OK.  But I am convinced that our team (and myself, specifically) became who we were in HS because we practiced harder and faster, and culled the herd more than any of our conference foes (as I learned from many of those guys after we all graduated).

Did it help us win close ball games?  Possibly.  Did it make us tougher?  Absolutely.

The OTR

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2019, 11:25:04 am »

I can't totally agree.  Somewhat?....OK.  But I am convinced that our team (and myself, specifically) became who we were in HS because we practiced harder and faster, and culled the herd more than any of our conference foes (as I learned from many of those guys after we all graduated).

Did it help us win close ball games?  Possibly.  Did it make us tougher?  Absolutely.

Seems like the guys in the NFL are tougher than you or me or any of us with or without the Oklahoma drill. 

Not sure guys at that level are going to be culled out due to one drill.  I'd guess there are more analytics than anything else  even though there would have to be some subjective  evaluation based on various drills. 

My disagreement was with muskogee arguement that elimination of this drill was a bad thing because players would be softer without it. 

I'd also guess there are some successful NFL teams who never run that drill.  Who really knows?  I doubt anyone here knows that. 

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2019, 11:26:32 am »

In the 1920s when the game was radically changed to make it safer you would have opposed that if you were around. (Maybe you were). The game and the works evolves, you will enjoy life more if you adapt with it.

How many times a day to you change your tampon?

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2019, 11:55:19 am »

Football never looks or feels the same.

If you watched football in the '40's and then turned on the game 20 years later in the 60's, you would feel like you were watching an entirely different sport. Fast forward to the 80's and now players weigh 100 pounds more than they used to and the game is completely different again. Fast forward to the early 2000's and and the game is yet again, unrecognizable, and finally, now 15 years later, the game is very different yet again.

The problem isn't the game changing. Honestly, that's been one of the more fundamental aspects of football is that it constantly is adapting. Trying to freeze time and keep it from changing would be the biggest change the game has ever experienced. Gotta learn to let go and adapt. If you aren't getting better, but are just trying to stay the same, then you are getting worse.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2019, 12:17:02 pm »

I bet Darryl stingley over the middle is your favorite play ever.

Dr. Leonard Ford

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2019, 12:57:39 pm »

I don't watch practice so I am OK with these drills being banned.

LZH

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2019, 02:13:22 pm »

Seems like the guys in the NFL are tougher than you or me or any of us with or without the Oklahoma drill. 

Not sure guys at that level are going to be culled out due to one drill.  I'd guess there are more analytics than anything else  even though there would have to be some subjective  evaluation based on various drills. 

My disagreement was with muskogee arguement that elimination of this drill was a bad thing because players would be softer without it. 

I'd also guess there are some successful NFL teams who never run that drill.  Who really knows?  I doubt anyone here knows that. 

I may have jumped off the OP, I was talking about teenagers, not NFL players.

OLDHOG

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2019, 02:26:13 pm »

Called it blood alley when I played. As Frank would say it builds Character.

ricepig

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2019, 02:47:05 pm »

I have no problem with the NFL doing away with it, those guys should know who will or wonít hit/play. I agree with FOTH on the youth level, too many wannabe coaches throwing this at the kids the first day they ever put on pads. My youngest was in a situation like he described, going up against kids 40lbs heavier being coached by ďkidsĒ who were finishing college and could only remember doing it in high school. Needless to say, he didnít like it, lol.

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2019, 02:47:42 pm »

Why is it when someone disagrees with people in HV SOME a**hole has to make a comment like this?

Are ALL of you so damn sure of your position on a subject, that THIS is your only retort?

Grow up.

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2019, 04:32:52 pm »

We were doing bull in the ring in 9th grade until one kid got his arm broken and suffered a concussion. No more bull in the ring after that. To add insult to injury the coaches openly called him the P word as he staggered off the field and headed to the locker room. This was back in 86.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2019, 05:30:08 pm »

The threat to a drop in quality of play from participation is a far bigger threat to the product than it being too soft.

Easy ways to mitigate obvious risk, with minimal impacts on the game are going to get policed out of the game.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

• Come to the Dark Side
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2019, 09:24:14 am »

Our staff used this drill first year of tackle. 1st grade.  Used it in 2nd, and we probably will his year in 3rd.  It is fantastic to for lineman, linebackers, running backs.  It also forces contact.  You find out really quickly the kids that want to play football and those that are out there so they can where a Bearcat jersey to school on Friday. Or the ones that are out there because mom and dad want them to be.

We are required by the league to get every player a minimum of 6 plays during regular season games.  This drill helps to quickly and easily identify those 6 play (marginal / developmental) guys.

We are definitely in a town where winning is extremely important, but that's not the reason we don't play those 6 play guys more.  It's for their safety.  When they are scared and don't really want to be on the field.  They will get lit the blank up in our league.  It's the parents. Not the kids.  It's okay to take your kid home if he's not ready for the contact and bring him back to try again next year.  Many however do not.  The parents text, call, email, group up,with other six play parents and want more playing time for little Johnny.

So we run the Oklahoma drill again with little Johnny against a few starters. Generally the parents get a better grasp of the situation.  I will admit that I cringe when we do that because I know little Johnny has no business on that field with those guys.  I do fear injury.  Fortunately knock on wood we have never had one because of it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas