• 10,355,259 Posts
• 409,707 Topics
• 23,417 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (No subject)recruiting  (Read 1397 times)

jackflash

(No subject)recruiting
« on: May 19, 2019, 09:14:43 am »

Wonder how woman softball  recruiting for 2019 his shaping up. What should be are focus on?

psycHOGlogist

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
Re: (No subject)recruiting
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 12:11:13 pm »

Softball recruiting, in the sense of recruiting high schoolers, happens very early. We’ve had a very good idea of what next year’s class will be for a while now. Recruiting of transfers, of course, will happen over the summer and perhaps even into fall, the way the portal works.

The 2019 class actually signed in November of 2018:
https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/deifel-razorbacks-add-three-on-national-signing-day/

Our 2019 class has 3 high schoolers in it — it’s a relatively small class.

The players include:

P Jenna Bloom - by far the highest rated player we have coming in. According to FloSoftball, she is the #31 player in the country for 2019. This is the blurb they wrote about her:

“31 | Jenna Bloom P | Explosion—Denio (Arkansas)
Bloom continues to improve as one of the top pitchers in the talent-rich Southern California area and, as one coach says, “Jenna just keeps getting stronger both mentally and physically.” The junior at Edison (Huntington Beach) High throws in the 63-66 mph range and is her club coach, Bret Denio, says, “She’s getting stronger too.” Bloom has been a high school starter since her freshman year and with a change and tough knuckleball, she wracks up her share of strikeouts as shown by one PGF Nationals victory last summer when she threw a complete game two-hitter with eight K’s. She first put herself on the map when she led the Explosion to a fifth-place finish at Boulder IDT in 2016 and went 3-0 at PGF Nationals that year. Her big summer led to heavy interest before she committed to the Razorbacks in August of 2016.”

You would expect her to come in and immediately be in consideration for the 3rd starter spot.

INF Paloma Usquiano - To give you some idea of how early softball kids used to commit, Paloma committed to Mike Larabee. She is the last Larabee commit that is still out there. She plays on the left side of the infield for one of the better juniors programs in California, SoCal Athletics. The linked UA release above gives you some info on her numbers.

P/INF Rylin Hedgecock - Rylin has been a pitcher in HS and travel ball, but I’m not really sure if she’s expected to pitch in college? I have heard her described more as a utility player, but I know less about her than some of the other kids. Again, see the release linked above for details.

If you are asking about the next recruiting class — the 2020s — it is also pretty well finalized, barring any last minute changes like what happened last summer with Megan Robertson deciding not to play college softball.

As far as I know, the 2020 class features 5 student athletes, including three kids from Arkansas:

Cally Kildow - Cally, who hails from Gravette, was rated the #57 player in FloSoftball’s 2020 most recent top 100. She is a pitcher for her HS team and in AAU, but she also plays outfield and 2b in AAU. She plays for a loaded DeMarini Aces team that includes fellow commit Lauren Howell (below), and the #1 2021 recruit in the country, Mizzou commit Kinsey Fielder. She has pop at the plate. I am honestly not sure whether she projects as a P or UTL or what in college.

Lauren Howell (Jefferson City, MO) - A pitcher, she was last listed as the #181 player for 2020s on Flo, which was an improvement of 14 spots since their previous ranking. Noted to be “one to watch” as she gains strength and size. Now playing for the same DeMarini Aces team as Kildow. Perhaps not likely to come in and be an ace right away, but seems to be improving as she matures.

Hannah Gammill -  A 3b/C prospect from Beebe, has played AAU for Vision FastPitch (a Texas club with some Arkansas kids). [Updating this thanks to @tphog who let me know that Hannah is now playing AAU ball for SoCal Choppers Renteria, which despite the "SoCal" name is a team of mostly Arkansas kids.] Made first team all state as a freshman, largely on the basis of her very sweet swing, good size, and good power. Hits the ball a long way. Has camped at Arkansas and flashed a good bat there, too. Her Beebe team got clobbered 10-0 in the state playoffs last week by Sheridan, who was led by ...

Kaitlyn Howard - last of the three in-state kids, this former HS teammate of Maggie Hicks plays for a strong travel ball program in Texas Glory, who won a national championship in 16U last summer. She is rated a top 200 player by Extra Innings Softball. A pitcher and outfielder in HS/AAU, I am not sure whether she projects as a pitcher in college or as more of a field player.

Marlene Friedman (Santa Ana, CA) - She had been ranked as high as #61 in her class in FLO’s early rankings, though I think she has dropped a bit. Plays HS for California/Orange County powerhouse Mater Dei. In late 2016, Flo described her this way: “a big, strong shortstop with an excellent arm and strong defensive skills. She can make plays deep in the hole that other shortstops can't and at the plate she is a gap hitter who can also go deep at any time.  Coaches rave about her great work ethic and desire to keep improving her game and help her team win.” Plays for a strong Cali travel ball team, Explosion, that sent us Lari Cesena and incoming 2019 Jenna Bloom.

This is a solid, if not spectacular class, whose success will ultimately be measured by whether Kildow lives up to her blue chip billing (I think she will) and the development of the Arkansas kids who, perhaps like Maggie Hicks, have the talent but flew a bit under the national radar. Friedman and Howell can be expected to contribute.

The 2021 class looks like it will be loaded (commits Spencer Prigge, Ally Sockey, Tori Hedgecock, and Sadie Saul all have top 100 potential, and Madi Conklin from FS Southside is also very good) and we have two (at least) very strong 2022 kids committed, as well, in Kiana Estrada and Leighann Goode, who were both top 40 kids in the early FloSoftball rankings of the 2022 class. The 2022 class also was the one that most directly affected by the rule change about when kids could be offered, so we are on several other very good kids in that class, as well. We just won’t know who are recruiting class is going to be five years ahead of time, like used to be the case.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 10:52:53 am by psycHOGlogist »

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 01:03:49 pm »

I did a little more poking around on ExtraInnings and found the following:

EI has Lauren Howell ranked as the #45 player in the 2020 class, and says the following about her:

“T-45—Lauren Howell, P, Aces Fastpitch (Arkansas)
Lauren is a pitcher at Helias (Jefferson City, Missouri) High who will be leaving her mid-Missouri home to play for SEC rival Arkansas. She works with former Razorbacks pitching coach Randi Davis who has helped Lauren master the riseball. The junior has excellent spins which have baffled hitters at all levels and she will pitch for the 18U Aces Fastpitch team this year coached by Ryan Taylor. Last fall Lauren was named to the All-State team after compiling an ERA of 0.64 and recording 214 K’s in 132 innings. Says one top-level coach, “There is no doubt she plans to step in and compete Day One at Arkansas.”

EI has Marlene Friedman at #89 and says about her:

“89—Marlene Friedman, MIF, Explosion - Denio/Jackson (Arkansas)
Marlene is an excellent defensive infielder with a strong arm who helped Mater Dei (Santa Ana, California) reach the quarterfinals of the CIF-Southern Section Div. I playoffs where the Monarchs lost to Cerritos Gahr in eight innings. She has a strong arm and can make plays deep in the six-hole. She is a gap-to-gap hitter who is improving offensively, but because she can make college-level plays know drew heavy interest from top Pac-12 and SEC programs before she committed to the Hogs.“

EI has Kildow at 92, largely on the basis of the broken leg she suffered playing basketball, which happened shortly before these ratings came out, I guess:

“Cally is a Top 50 caliber pitcher who was on her way up the list of elite pitchers in the 2020 class when she suffered leg injuries in basketball that took away this summer but she’s rehabbing “fiercely” according to her club coach, Ryan Taylor, and should be back on the field by January. Her ceiling, as shown by what she did a year ago, is very high. As a freshman at Gravette (Arkansas) High, she set the school record with 331 K’s in a season and compiled a 0.53 ERA. She also batted .443 with 32 RBI which helped her earn 1st Team All-State honors. For the Aces 16U team, Cally had hit .425 with a .497 on-base percentage in the middle of the order. She’s also been clocked at 63 mph in one SEC camp and have visited several Pac-12, ACC and SEC schools before deciding to stay in-state.”

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 01:11:33 pm »

Regarding the 2019s, EI has Jenna Bloom at #26:

26—Jenna Bloom, P, Athletics - Mercado/Smith (Arkansas)
Jenna throws in the mid-60’s and adds a change and knuckleball to her weapons which helps her rack up a lot of strikeouts. She’s consistent and eats up a lot of innings too. Jenna has been on the national recruiting scene since 2016 when she went 3-0 at PGF Nationals, led Explosion - Denio to a 5th place finish at Boulder IDT and started at Edison (Huntington Beach) High just a few miles from where PGF Nationals is held.. Said one West Coast coach, “Jenna is one of the best pitchers I have seen in the last few years in the 2019 class. She is easily in the Top 10 if not the Top 5 of the pitchers in the age group.” She committed to Arkansas in August of 2016.

They have Rylin Hedgecock rated at #292, and Paloma Usquiano rated at #308 in their class, just fyi. Usquiano is rated a bit higher on Flo.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 07:34:07 pm »

With the fielding errors we had this year are we expecting or hoping any of these ladies to win a spot on the IF?

Will any of pitchers win a ton of PT?

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 07:58:08 pm »

Usquiano is the only true freshman with a legit chance of infield playing time, imo. But you also have Hicks, who was injured most of the year, Ventura, who redshirted, and Burnside, who sat out do to transfer rules, who will be vying for playing time.

I am hoping that we mine the transfer market (outside the SEC) for an infielder.

I will be surprised if Bloom doesn’t contribute in the circle, too.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 03:13:43 pm »

Interesting note about Megan Robertson, who was supposed to be a member of the 2018 class that arrived this year. She signed with the Hogs, but in the spring it was announced that she wasn't going to play college softball.

Turns out that apparently isn't true - she will join Samford U in the fall. Samford is calling her a "transfer" from Arkansas (I think because she signed; I don't believe she ever enrolled at Arkansas. Wonder if there were academic issues or what. Either way, I hope she has a nice career at Samford.

smcouvillion

• Walk-On
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 07:17:16 pm »

Linnie Malkin is in the transfer portal as of now, which means we will need to fill her hole at (most likely) DP next year. She also plays 3B/SS. Aly Manzo is my guess at her replacement.

So far, this is what it looks like based on a lineup stand point.

P: Storms & Haff (Co-Aces, barring Haff has a healthy surgery and recovery) and Bloom as a SOLID #3. This would be one of the first times Arkansas has ever had three great pitchers in a long time. I don't expect Graves to get any innings next year.

C: Green will get most of the innings, if not all.

1B: I would say Gibson

2B: My guess is Hicks

3B: Anyone but Duncan and Edwards hopefully. Duncan is a solid infielder, but her bat is not up to par. With the other 3 infield spots already locked with good defenders, I would rather trade a bat for the defense at this spot. I'd guess Manzo.

SS: Burnside. Solid defender and a good bat, this is where she played at Mizzou.

LF: Cesena

RF: McEwen

CF: Parr

DP: I'd put Jackson here, and Manzo at 3B

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 08:04:41 pm »

Well, that’s a bummer about Malkin. I think next year could be a big year for her at DP. But if she wants to play in the field, I thinks she probably does need to find a different school. Are you sure she was a SS candidate? I think she was more of a corner infielder. Her inability to see time over Duncan at 3b had to be frustrating.

We need to find a transfer, hope that Usquiano is ready to play, hope that Ventura can stay healthy, or turn Cesena into an infielder, which would open a spot for Torres in the outfield. With not much depth anywhere on the roster (except in the circle). Though Duncan played a respectable 2b, so if Hicks can slide over to 3b ...

Time to get on the transfer market for a big bat. It is a shame that we didn’t (apparently) go after Kassidy Krupit from Baylor, who is now at South Carolina. She could have filled a couple holes for us.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 08:19:18 pm by psycHOGlogist »

flippinhogmana

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 10:19:27 pm »

I dont so much mind losing out on the high ranked guards this year because we are already stocked at that positions (you cant ever have too many, but they might think so), but I would really hate to lose out on the Maryam Dauda or the 6-3 post from LR.  We arent stocked at that position.

jackflash

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 07:54:12 am »

I agree to take the next step for Arkansas women going to need high. South Carolina and other teams have it.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 10:47:00 am »

I dont so much mind losing out on the high ranked guards this year because we are already stocked at that positions (you cant ever have too many, but they might think so), but I would really hate to lose out on the Maryam Dauda or the 6-3 post from LR.  We arent stocked at that position.

I second this (or giving what jackflash wrote, I guess I 'third' it). I think we'll have a very good shot with Williams from NLR, though her recruitment will definitely be blowing up. With Dauda, I'm less confident. She seems (based on her social media activity, which is not always the right measuring stick) more drawn to the state where she's playing her AAU ball -- Missouri, with Phenom. Still fairly early, though. I agree she'd be a very good pick for this staff.

Of course, I think this was a softball thread, but .... you can never talk too much about recruiting! :-)

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 02:26:38 pm »

Personally, the number 1 recruit in the next three years in the state that I want to go to Arkansas is Jersey Wolfenberger - she will have the biggest impact on Arkansas basketball.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 05:11:00 pm »

Personally, the number 1 recruit in the next three years in the state that I want to go to Arkansas is Jersey Wolfenberger - she will have the biggest impact on Arkansas basketball.

She is a good one and one that I think we will get.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 05:22:43 pm »

She is a good one and one that I think we will get.
I agree.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 08:40:26 pm »

the thing about Jersey is that she is an AAU teammate of Dauda and I cant see but what that might help us with Maryam if we were to get Jersey.  I would very much like to have them both.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 09:24:01 am »

the thing about Jersey is that she is an AAU teammate of Dauda and I cant see but what that might help us with Maryam if we were to get Jersey.  I would very much like to have them both.

They are not AAU teammates this year. Dauda is still playing with Phenom, and Wolfenbarger is playing with the Banshees. I do believe they are friends, though.

jackflash

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 09:50:35 am »

psycHOGlogist and flippinhogmana my thanks for all you post and time

nwahogfan1

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 10:16:44 am »

psycHOGlogist and flippinhogmana my thanks for all you post and time

I agree. Thanks for keeping us up to date on the  Ladies.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 11:07:59 am »

Here's an article from 2 days ago on Eaton, and some information about her recruiting is included:
https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2019/jun/11/nettleton-s-eaton-more-than-just-a-scor/

Good news: Her team attended team camp at Arkansas, which can't hurt.
https://twitter.com/NHSCoachSmith/status/1138637519585718272

Not included is her list of offers: here's what I've been able to put together, mostly from Raoul's WBBBLog (which is excellent):
Offered her in 2016: Hogs, MSU, So Carolina, Texas, Texas Tech
Offered her in 2017: UF, UGA, Indiana, UK, LSU, Michigan, Michigan St, OH State, ODU, St. John's, Tennessee, TAMU
Offered her in 2018: AU, FSU, Miami, Mizzou, UNC, NCST, Rutgers, VA Tech -- and I am 99.9% sure that Ole Miss offered her last year, as well. I also think there are others, like Minnesota, who have offered, but I am not sure when that happened.
Offered this year: So Cal, GT, Houston

So obviously, a who's who of CBB talent, minus UConn/Notre Dame/Stanford type progams...

Taylen Collins currently has offers from Arkansas, Louisville (they seem to offer almost everyone), OH State, OK State, AZ State, Clemson, Georgetown, Indiana, Kansas, UK, LSU, TAMU, and Texas Tech, Illinois, Penn State, WVU, and perhaps others. Based on her family's twitter posts, she is known to have had in-home visits from the Hogs, AZ State, Georgetown, Kansas, UK, OK St, and Texas Tech.

Eaton is a top 100 kid across multiple services; Collins is not, although her offer list is really pretty impressive. Most folks have assumed that Taylen will follow in her dad's footsteps and go to OK State, though the family just tweeted this out earlier this week:

https://twitter.com/tlc4kj3/status/1138480028377853952

nwahogfan1

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 11:18:10 am »

The article says we have offered but are we making her feel SPECIAL?  Are we recruiting her like she our number one recruit???  Just curious.  I love her length at the guard spot
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas