• 10,306,106 Posts
• 408,350 Topics
• 23,328 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cuonzo Martin on Anderson's firing  (Read 3486 times)

(notOM)Rebel123

Re: Cuonzo Martin on Anderson's firing
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2019, 11:23:33 pm »

Awww...man...logic and facts? Really?

Itís getting late...thatís all I got.  ;D

k.c.hawg

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2019, 01:07:36 am »

Make sure you save this post because I want to see how much you're going to shorten it up after 2 years.

It must be great anticipating the upcoming Razorback basketball season at your house. Five months before practice starts and you are extremely worried that they could be successful. If I had to pray that my team and coach would be bad,  to back up my flawed opinion on the coaching hire, I think I would find a team whoís coach I liked. It seems counter productive to sit down 31 times (more with certain post season play) for 2.5 hours hoping to see sports failure. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Sow Lancelot

• Hogvillian
  • #NumquamDescedete!
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2019, 07:17:42 am »

Its all a mute point, look forward to watching the team under the new staff.
Not even any crickets chirping.

rogersvillemohog

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2019, 10:12:54 am »

I understand that...and I do not want an argument.  You stated your opinions very well.  I just happen to disagree on some points.  I didn't mean to insinuate that it was not well stated...just that I disagree with some of it.

I can respect that.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2019, 10:25:50 am »

Careful there Cuonzo, don't you know Mike is the debbil at Mizzou? The student section was serenading MA off the court with "Mike, you suck!" chants after the loss there last season, what 8 years after MA jilted them?

Those students surely were not enrolled at Mizzou in 2011..

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2019, 10:42:41 am »

Are you sure about that ???  I mean, it's Mizzou...

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Will the Hogs make it back to Omaha in 2019 ?
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2019, 10:46:35 am »

I thought he deserved one more year. Believed that up until the second he was fired. I think they were going to do what Musselman did by attacking the grad transfer and JUCO market and roll out a team next year ready to run and press people better than any team Anderson yet in his tenure. But he was fired and I understand why. It's a shame since Anderson is a true Razorback and in a perfect world I want a Razorback running this program.

But they managed to find a solid coach without breaking the bank, so ultimately the end justified the decision. I feel better about the immediate future than I did under Anderson. Musselman's huge red mark is high school recruiting and right now I'm cautiously optimistic 2020 class could be good to the Hogs.
After 8 years you have had enough time. Nolan's silence is deafening on this subject. Nolan complimented his players but also hinted around about Mike needed to recruit "some more players". Now that's Nolan cryptically saying, "I love Mike, always will, but most coaches don't get 8 years to do well at traditionally great places such as Arkansas". One thing Nolan did say, and this is one of his favorite lines, 'you've gotta feed the monster'. In other words Mike didn't do well enough. He did alright, just not what is expected at Arkansas.

I think any other coach besides Mike would have been gone a long time ago. However, Mike, being so well-liked and being an honest and good person was difficult to let go and he got an extra 3 years. So, the new AD did what he had to do. Don't worry about Mike, he's set for life and will always be welcome back on the Hill and anywhere in our state. I wish Mike well, but the time was right. And we did get one helluva coach who is motivated to win and win big.

rogersvillemohog

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2019, 10:59:37 am »

Careful there Cuonzo, don't you know Mike is the debbil at Mizzou? The student section was serenading MA off the court with "Mike, you suck!" chants after the loss there last season, what 8 years after MA jilted them?

Students will be students. I was at the game with my father, a Mizzou alum. I admittedly lost my cool after the game, but that just happens sometimes. Surprisingly, the majority of the older fans and alumni I talk to kinda like Mike now. Maybe Zo has something to do with that since they're friends going back to their shared time at Mizzou and MO State or maybe just enough time has passed and they realize that they can appreciate what Mike did there, wished he had stayed, but realize why he left.

Pork Twain

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2019, 02:59:07 pm »

Who cares what this guy had to say?  MA did not get it done and needed to go

kkremers

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2019, 03:25:41 pm »

I can't believe the lack of intelligence people show when they look at coach Muss's stint as a coach in the NBA,they equate it to college basketball.Two entirely different jobs.In college you  generally recruit players.In the NBA you buy them,if you work for a company with limited resources you can only do so much.That's just one BIG difference.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2019, 03:45:23 pm »

I can't believe the lack of intelligence people show when they look at coach Muss's stint as a coach in the NBA,they equate it to college basketball.Two entirely different jobs.In college you  generally recruit players.In the NBA you buy them,if you work for a company with limited resources you can only do so much.That's just one BIG difference.

And in the NBA the GM makes player personnel decisions not the coach. He was fired at Golden State after coming in second for COTY because he and the GM butted heads over personnel. Muss preferred the veterans he had on the roster and management wanted him to go with younger players.

Oh and Musselman has the 10th best (out of 25) winning percentage of all Golden State head coaches.

East Clintwood

« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2019, 07:18:25 pm »

Awww...man...logic and facts? Really?

Sometimes they come at you so fast they just mess you up.

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2019, 08:27:40 pm »

You do know that he's coaching in the SEC now don't you? Not that MWC or whatever it is he came from?

So basically what you're telling me is that Nevada was the equivalent of the Boise State football program.  They beat up on everyone and their week conference and then when they play the big boys no one took them seriously So they won the game and finish every year with an outstanding won loss record.

LOL. If that's your comp, I'd love if Muss can turn us into the UW of college basketball.

hogwood

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2019, 09:35:31 pm »

I haven't spoken out much about Mike on the board, but I guess I'll use this opportunity to do so. I love Coach A. I think he is a good coach and I think he will have success at SJU (considering he hires and surrounds himself with the right people, which it seems like he is). Do I think he should have been fired? I stand by what I had said on this board, in person, and across multiple social media platforms - no. Mike stabilized the program and I honestly believe that this young nucleus of guys were going to be the team that turned the corner for his tenure at Arkansas. However, I understand it, it's a business.

I appreciate Cuonzo's statements. Tennessee did Zo extremely dirty. The guy won more SEC games in his time at Tennessee than anybody not named Kentucky or Florida and it wasn't good enough for the fans or the boosters, who were working against him within the athletic department. He knows the feeling and he understands the pressures of running a good program that "wasn't good enough." Luckily for Vol fans, they found footing with Rick Barnes after the Donnie Tyndall fiasco, but that program looked like it was going to implode.

I sincerely hope that Musselman can take the program to the level that Mike wasn't able to get it to. I think he has the ability to do so and I like the guy. He's got a good basketball mind and as many basketball connections as anyone. But, as Nolan says, he created a monster and you've gotta feed that monster. What is the timeline for success under Muss? I don't know the answer to that. He's got more production than anyone else in the SEC returning next year. But will everybody buy in? If they don't, I don't think that should be a mark against Muss because transition can be hard. I'll put it like this - you don't fire Mike Anderson to rehire Mike Anderson. Muss needs to get this program to the second weekend, preferably sooner rather than later. That's a lot of pressure. But I think if there was a coach who was built for that, it's Musselman.

In closing, I wish nothing but success for everybody who has been mentioned in this thread. I lived in Springfield for the majority of my life and watched Cuonzo build the program at Missouri State. He is a good coach and an incredible man. His fight back against cancer and then being able to come back from that is an amazing story. Mike is a prince of a man who gave 25 years of service to the University of Arkansas, helped us go to Final Fours and win a national championship. He took over a basketball program with no pulse and breathed new life into it and stabilized the program. I've followed his career everywhere he's been and I wish him nothing but success and greatness at SJU. Musselman brings new energy and a new way of looking at the game to Arkansas. I think, and I hope, that he's going to be able to turn the corner.

Pure class. CMA can appreciate that!

checkraiser88

« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2019, 10:21:28 pm »

Mizzou coach Cuonzo Martin said Mike Andersonís firing at Arkansas was tough for him to take. Said he thought the Razorbacks had as much talent coming back as anyone in the SEC.

I agree about the talent. Finally got someone in here to coach them without using an outdated scheme. Also using scouting reports is a big bonus.

Peter Porker

• All-American Hogvillian
  • It's skin deep.
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2019, 10:13:02 am »

I really don't understand how people can look at the past 8 years and say Anderson should have not been fired.

All we heard during Pelphrey's last year was what Anderson would have done with that team. We heard about tournaments and year 3 and all that stuff.

We fire Pelphrey after year 4. Remember. Year 4.

At the time of his hiring Anderson was the 10th highest paid coach and his salary never ranked below top 25 even though we never saw top 10 or even top 25 results.

The goalposts continued to be moved almost immediately. It went from year 3 to year 5 to, eventually, year 9.

Anderson never embraced social media. His assistants, even the young one he is related to, never embraced social media either.

Anderson never seemed to have a plan when it came to roster management.

Anderson never seemed to even have a plan at all.

Yes, Anderson seems like a nice guy. That shouldn't get you 9 years.

If it weren't for nostalgia there is no one that can justify 8 years, much less 9 years of Anderson.

Smithian

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2019, 10:25:17 am »

I really don't understand how people can look at the past 8 years and say Anderson should have not been fired.
I honestly would not have been mad had he been fired after the meltdown with the 17-18 squad which should have been so much better.

But there is an argument Anderson should have come back. I have a couple long posts from the days preceding his firing where I explain how I thought the Hogs were about to turn corner. I think last season's team did better than I expected and recruiting the last couple years finally showed signs of urgency on behalf of the staff.

But Hunter Yurachek made a decision Anderson wasn't doing enough, and fired him. He then undertook a search where after missing his top two choices was able to stay steady and hire a veteran coach with success at every level who has been able to come in, hit the ground running on the recruiting trail, and assemble a strong staff.

Yurachek made a tough choice and the result of the coaching search validated that choice.

hobhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2019, 10:39:45 am »

Ironic post.Your spell check must be broken?or maybe not.

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
  • Formerly posting as Snout Says
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2019, 10:49:00 am »

Mike had run out of smoke.  HY saw his informal run practices and understood why the success was marginal.  Former players, insiders and more had pointed out for a long time the lack of specific coaching.

The style had worn thin.  The adjustments didn't come often enough.

Captain Morgan

« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2019, 01:37:17 pm »

You do know that he's coaching in the SEC now don't you? Not that MWC or whatever it is he came from?

So basically what you're telling me is that Nevada was the equivalent of the Boise State football program.  They beat up on everyone and their week conference and then when they play the big boys no one took them seriously So they won the game and finish every year with an outstanding won loss record.

Most clown statement of 2019.
Mike Anderson Sycophant Association is still loud, proud and angry. This statement by you is clown worthy though.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2019, 09:51:32 am »

I disagree.  He did stabilize this program, but he also deserved to be let go. 

Exactly. Stabilizing something is one thing......fixing it another.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2019, 11:35:22 am »

Mike had run out of smoke.  HY saw his informal run practices and understood why the success was marginal.  Former players, insiders and more had pointed out for a long time the lack of specific coaching.

The style had worn thin.  The adjustments didn't come often enough.

I also think some might be forgetting HY was a basketball player.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2019, 11:44:14 am »

I honestly would not have been mad had he been fired after the meltdown with the 17-18 squad which should have been so much better.

But there is an argument Anderson should have come back. I have a couple long posts from the days preceding his firing where I explain how I thought the Hogs were about to turn corner. I think last season's team did better than I expected and recruiting the last couple years finally showed signs of urgency on behalf of the staff.

But Hunter Yurachek made a decision Anderson wasn't doing enough, and fired him. He then undertook a search where after missing his top two choices was able to stay steady and hire a veteran coach with success at every level who has been able to come in, hit the ground running on the recruiting trail, and assemble a strong staff.

Yurachek made a tough choice and the result of the coaching search validated that choice.

But the problem with that is you think itís OK to wait after eight years to turn the corner. That should be done in four or five years max. Iíll normally give any new coach four years unless things are not improving at all. But by that time one usually knows what they have in a coach.

Captain Morgan

« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2019, 12:34:42 pm »

He sure likes to lose
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas