RB Sports Discussion > SEC Sports

Mr Jones...Starting QB to begin the season?

(1/7) > >>

twistitup:
I've heard he's the best we have at this point....true or not - do you think he will be our first starter?

Not the entire season....just to begin the season. I don't see us having one qb play all season, it's hot hand time in my opinion - they will all get a shot.

TebowHater:

--- Quote from: twistitup on May 15, 2019, 06:45:16 pm ---I've heard he's the best we have at this point.

--- End quote ---

Where did you hear this? Have others heard this? I have not heard this.

MuskogeeHogFan:

--- Quote from: TebowHater on May 15, 2019, 06:59:19 pm ---Where did you hear this? Have others heard this? I have not heard this.

--- End quote ---

You fell for it.

Boardon Hamsay:

--- Quote from: TebowHater on May 15, 2019, 06:59:19 pm ---Where did you hear this? Have others heard this? I have not heard this.

--- End quote ---

I heard it. Bout a week ago.

ricepig:

--- Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 15, 2019, 07:02:45 pm ---You fell for it.

--- End quote ---

Yep, you could hear the hit on the lure, and Twist letting the line run......

MuskogeeHogFan:

--- Quote from: ricepig on May 15, 2019, 07:06:26 pm ---Yep, you could hear the hit on the lure, and Twist letting the line run......

--- End quote ---

Better to have picked Frito Chili-Cheese Pie with mustard, onions and relish. Oh wait, that wasn't an option.

Boardon Hamsay:
Pretty sure Sterling in Center Ridge reported on this very thing last week.

Porkys Revenge:

--- Quote from: ricepig on May 15, 2019, 07:06:26 pm ---Yep, you could hear the hit on the lure, and Twist letting the line run......

--- End quote ---
😂 You got that right. He better start easing the drag in before the spool starts to overheat.

twistitup:

--- End quote ---

luckily I have my drag set....

I did hear he was having an awesome spring.

twistitup:

--- Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on May 15, 2019, 07:18:28 pm ---Pretty sure Sterling in Center Ridge reported on this very thing last week.

--- End quote ---

Sterling...and I think Mike I mentioned it too.... but I may be mistaken.

MuskogeeHogFan:

--- Quote from: twistitup on May 15, 2019, 07:49:15 pm ---Sterling...and I think Mike I mentioned it too.... but I may be mistaken.

--- End quote ---

This might be an appropriate time to provide a link to what you say you have heard.

Al Boarland:
Arm strength is comparable to Hicks. Hicks has the edge with experience in the O. Close call otherwise.

Hawgphat:
personal opinion only:

Jones may very well log some game time in the first 2 or 3 games, but I would expect either Hicks or Starkel to start in the first game.  I could certainly be wrong; - - - it wouldn't mark the first time.      :-[

twistitup:

--- Quote from: Al Boarland on May 15, 2019, 08:34:37 pm ---Arm strength is comparable to Hicks. Hicks has the edge with experience in the O. Close call otherwise.

--- End quote ---

I wish we had an IQ test for both of them...then we would know. I hear the CCM offense requires some serious smarts. Starkel may be the brightest of the 3

It might come down to brain power not physical potential

pigbacon:
Matt Jones? Grandfather of the RPO?

twistitup:

--- Quote from: pigbacon on May 15, 2019, 09:33:11 pm ---Matt Jones? Grandfather of the RPO?

--- End quote ---

Chupa Jones...the next generation.

PorkSoda:

--- Quote from: twistitup on May 15, 2019, 09:35:57 pm ---Chalupa Jones...the next generation.

--- End quote ---
FIFY

sowmonella:
 ::hornsdown::

Sed76:
Hear some tell it his grandpa single handedly picked our current head coach so if that is to be believed why wouldn't he pick our quarterback as well?

Justifiable Hogicide:
He wonít be the starting QB, probably not even QB2, but he may get to play some and I hope he does.
Really glad heís a Razorback.

Hawgphat:

--- Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on May 16, 2019, 01:07:05 am ---He wonít be the starting QB, probably not even QB2, but he may get to play some and I hope he does.
Really glad heís a Razorback.

--- End quote ---

Amen.  I'm glad he's with us.

EarlCampbellsHotLink:
If so we are in deep dookie

LZH:
I actually think he may have a shot to play quite a bit, at least early. I sure liked his high school video, looks like he has all the tools you need except for the size.  If he has a good grasp on the offense by now, he could be fun to watch as long as he doesnít turn it over. At least now I am convinced that he has earned a spot on a P5 team, and not just because of who his family is. He seems to be one hell of an athlete.

But to be honest, friends that are telling me he looked really good this spring probably havenít seen any more of him lately than I have.

hogfan58:
If JSJ is the best QB we have, we will not win a game all season. If his granddaddy wasn't Jerry Jones, he wouldn't be in the discussion.

hogcards:
If this is true, then we're in worse shape than I thought.

Boardon Hamsay:

--- Quote from: hogcards on May 16, 2019, 05:43:02 am ---If this is true, then we're in worse shape than I thought.

--- End quote ---

Everything Iíve heard indicates this could be the case.

twistitup:
You guys are spending too much time in the MMQB echo chamber if you haven't heard about the quality practices JSJ has put together. Hicks may have some experience...but JSJ possibly has the X factor

Hogmatic:
What is this thread meant to do?  Pot stirring? 

ricepig:

--- Quote from: Hogmatic on May 16, 2019, 06:58:16 am ---What is this thread meant to do?  Pot stirring? 

--- End quote ---

Kill time, divert attention away from concessions.

rzrbaxfan:
I heard that he'll start too.  I heard this in a conversation with a black-haired flamenco dancer.  She was suddenly beautiful.

hogcards:

--- Quote from: rzrbaxfan on May 16, 2019, 07:15:46 am ---I heard that he'll start too.  I heard this in a conversation with a black-haired flamenco dancer.  She was suddenly beautiful.

--- End quote ---

We all want something beautiful.

twistitup:

--- Quote from: Hogmatic on May 16, 2019, 06:58:16 am ---What is this thread meant to do?  Pot stirring? 

--- End quote ---

Discuss the potential of Mr Jones and the probability that he starts in the fall. Dude was a stud playing against some of the nations best talent in h.s. - I don't see why he won't do the same here

....IF given the opportunity

twistitup:

--- Quote from: ricepig on May 16, 2019, 07:05:02 am ---Kill time, divert attention away from concessions.

--- End quote ---

Are you saying Mr Jones doesn't have a chance to start?

Be careful rice - you may be Counting Crows in the fall. You like 'em grilled or smoked?

little pigee:

--- Quote from: ricepig on May 16, 2019, 07:05:02 am ---Kill time, divert attention away from concessions.

--- End quote ---
Twist should have started this thread under his alter ego , Noah Little.

twistitup:

--- Quote from: little pigee on May 16, 2019, 07:44:01 am ---Twist should have started this thread under his alter ego , Noah Little.

--- End quote ---

I'm not Noah...and pigee, you are no Jack Kennedy

just in case some of you haven't done your research - here is our guy, JSJ:

"Completed 505 of 777 passes for 7,965 yards, 90 touchdowns and 12 interceptions and ran 265 times for 674 yards and 19 touchdowns during his career at Highland Park Ö As a senior, led Highland Park to a second straight state title in December Ö Finished the season with 5,200 total yards and 71 touchdowns, and was voted District 15-5A MVP, all-state honorable mention and won the 2017 Landry Award Ö Finished with 564 yards and four touchdowns on 37-of-58 passing in the 53-49 win over Manvel at AT&T Stadium, becoming the first player to throw for more than 500 yards in a University Interscholastic League championship game and setting title-game records for completions and attempts Ö Led his team on a nine-play drive that included a fourth-and-15 conversion and concluded with a go-ahead touchdown pass, his 61st of the season, to with 34 seconds remaining Ö Named the Offensive MVP of the state championship game, the Dallas Morning News SportsDay Area Offensive Player of the Year and the Built Ford Tough Class 5A Player of the Year in Texas"

GuvHog:

--- Quote from: twistitup on May 16, 2019, 07:46:38 am ---I'm not Noah...and pigee, you are no Jack Kennedy

"Completed 505 of 777 passes for 7,965 yards, 90 touchdowns and 12 interceptions and ran 265 times for 674 yards and 19 touchdowns during his career at Highland Park … As a senior, led Highland Park to a second straight state title in December … Finished the season with 5,200 total yards and 71 touchdowns, and was voted District 15-5A MVP, all-state honorable mention and won the 2017 Landry Award … Finished with 564 yards and four touchdowns on 37-of-58 passing in the 53-49 win over Manvel at AT&T Stadium, becoming the first player to throw for more than 500 yards in a University Interscholastic League championship game and setting title-game records for completions and attempts … Led his team on a nine-play drive that included a fourth-and-15 conversion and concluded with a go-ahead touchdown pass, his 61st of the season, to with 34 seconds remaining … Named the Offensive MVP of the state championship game, the Dallas Morning News SportsDay Area Offensive Player of the Year and the Built Ford Tough Class 5A Player of the Year in Texas"

--- End quote ---

I'd be very surprised if JSJ starts this season. It's been said that when he's barefooted, he is only 5'8" tall. That works heavily against him.

I'm really surmised at the number of Hogvillians who are writing Hicks off as the starter.  That's a huge mistake.

razorbacker3:

--- Quote from: twistitup on May 16, 2019, 07:46:38 am ---I'm not Noah...and pigee, you are no Jack Kennedy

"Completed 505 of 777 passes for 7,965 yards, 90 touchdowns and 12 interceptions and ran 265 times for 674 yards and 19 touchdowns during his career at Highland Park … As a senior, led Highland Park to a second straight state title in December … Finished the season with 5,200 total yards and 71 touchdowns, and was voted District 15-5A MVP, all-state honorable mention and won the 2017 Landry Award … Finished with 564 yards and four touchdowns on 37-of-58 passing in the 53-49 win over Manvel at AT&T Stadium, becoming the first player to throw for more than 500 yards in a University Interscholastic League championship game and setting title-game records for completions and attempts … Led his team on a nine-play drive that included a fourth-and-15 conversion and concluded with a go-ahead touchdown pass, his 61st of the season, to with 34 seconds remaining … Named the Offensive MVP of the state championship game, the Dallas Morning News SportsDay Area Offensive Player of the Year and the Built Ford Tough Class 5A Player of the Year in Texas"

--- End quote ---
Sign him up!...Ö...oh wait

little pigee:

"Completed 505 of 777 passes for 7,965 yards, 90 touchdowns and 12 interceptions and ran 265 times for 674 yards and 19 touchdowns during his career at Highland Park Ö As a senior, led Highland Park to a second straight state title in December Ö Finished the season with 5,200 total yards and 71 touchdowns, and was voted District 15-5A MVP, all-state honorable mention and won the 2017 Landry Award Ö Finished with 564 yards and four touchdowns on 37-of-58 passing in the 53-49 win over Manvel at AT&T Stadium, becoming the first player to throw for more than 500 yards in a University Interscholastic League championship game and setting title-game records for completions and attempts Ö Led his team on a nine-play drive that included a fourth-and-15 conversion and concluded with a go-ahead touchdown pass, his 61st of the season, to with 34 seconds remaining Ö Named the Offensive MVP of the state championship game, the Dallas Morning News SportsDay Area Offensive Player of the Year and the Built Ford Tough Class 5A Player of the Year in Texas"

--- End quote ---
I root for JSJ, and I am NOT a crook!

twistitup:

--- Quote from: GuvHog on May 16, 2019, 08:47:19 am ---I'd be very surprised if JSJ starts this season. It's been said that when he's barefooted, he is only 5'8" tall.

--- End quote ---

I know we are in Arkansas, but we don't play barefooted Guv....it's 2019. He's playing against big kids in the SEC, he played against big kids at top levels of TX football. It didn't keep him from succeeding then, won't hinder his success now

....IF given the chance, I say he shocks the Razorback World

RyanMallettsEgo:

--- End quote ---

I heard it too, but it's fluid.

GuvHog:

--- Quote from: twistitup on May 16, 2019, 09:01:41 am ---I know we are in Arkansas, but we don't play barefooted Guv....it's 2019. He's playing against big kids in the SEC, he played against big kids at top levels of TX football. It didn't keep him from succeeding then, won't hinder his success now

....IF given the chance, I say he shocks the Razorback World

--- End quote ---

Come on man, you're smarter than that. High School football is far, far different than College Football and even more so in the SEC. Playing QB against High school teams is far different than playing against the likes of Bama, Auburn, and LSU. Brandon Allen started as a true Freshman against Bama and was almost destroyed. You seem to have forgotten that.

twistitup:

--- Quote from: GuvHog on May 16, 2019, 09:16:11 am ---Come on man, you're smarter than that. High School football is far, far different than College Football and even more so in the SEC. Playing QB against High school teams is far different than playing against the likes of Bama, Auburn, and LSU. Brandon Allen started as a true Freshman against Bama and was almost destroyed. You seem to have forgotten that.

--- End quote ---

It's all relative....recuiting is all based on what a kid does in H.S.

B. Allen is not JSJ - you seem to forget that. We will put the best players on the field, if he is the best qb in practice - he should start.

GuvHog:

--- Quote from: twistitup on May 16, 2019, 09:22:34 am ---It's all relative....recuiting is all based on what a kid does in H.S.

B. Allen is not JSJ - you seem to forget that. We will put the best players on the field, if he is the best qb in practice - he should start.

--- End quote ---

I still believe Hicks will be the starting QB for this season. They didn't recruit a QB who knows the offense verbatim and ran it for multiple years under Morris at SMU just to put him on the bench. I do believe JSJ will get some snaps in certain situations this year but I will be shocked if Hicks isn't the starter.

lstewart:
He may get some snaps in certain packages, but it is not likely he ever starts for us (unless we have some injuries). There will be some tough competition with the two transfers, and the new incoming freshman. Who knows what will happen with CN going back to football practice after baseball season ends. Lots of bodies competing for the top two spots.

EconHawg:
I heard that he wants to be a big star...

But he don't know why, and he don't know how.

twistitup:

--- Quote from: GuvHog on May 16, 2019, 09:44:54 am ---I still believe Hicks will be the starting QB for this season. They didn't recruit a QB who knows the offense verbatim and ran it for multiple years under Morris at SMU just to put him on the bench. I do believe JSJ will get some snaps in certain situations this year but I will be shocked if Hicks isn't the starter.

--- End quote ---

They may have recruited Hicks so he could help coach the younger guys on how the offense should be properly run.

It wouldn't be the first time a veteran trains the next guy in line...it happens. Sometimes the next guy is better than the 'trainer' at the end of the day.

Like I said, the best player should start...not the one with the most experience, but the one who gives us the best shot at winning. If JSJ is the best practice qb, he needs to be on the field. Hicks can help develop qb's while he gets his graduate degree- we have been needing a qb developer. Hicks can play the roll of an additional coach, without the pay of an additional coach.

Hicks will also help develop Starkel - this will be interesting.

ricepig:

--- Quote from: twistitup on May 16, 2019, 07:26:45 am ---Are you saying Mr Jones doesn't have a chance to start?

Be careful rice - you may be Counting Crows in the fall. You like 'em grilled or smoked?

--- End quote ---
Yes, Iím saying Jones will not start the season as the starting QB, care to make a friendly wager?

rzrbaxfan:

--- Quote from: EconHawg on May 16, 2019, 09:49:15 am ---I heard that he wants to be a big star...

But he don't know why, and he don't know how.

--- End quote ---

I want to be a lion.

Errybody wants to pass as cats

(Just realized that if you don't know the song, we probably look a bit crazy with the lines we quote from it...great way to pass the time this off season!)

liljo:

--- Quote from: hogfan58 on May 16, 2019, 05:34:57 am ---If JSJ is the best QB we have, we will not win a game all season. If his granddaddy wasn't Jerry Jones, he wouldn't be in the discussion.

--- End quote ---

Man, thatís just plain mean.  >:(

hogsanity:

--- Quote from: liljo on May 16, 2019, 11:33:40 am ---Man, thatís just plain mean.  >:(

--- End quote ---

Sometimes the truth is very painful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View