General Sports Discussion > NBA Board

Since this is...

Pages: (1/1)

Iwastherein1969:

my first ever post onto the NBA board I thought I might make it a controversial one. Does anyone besides me feel as though the NBA season never ends ?  As soon as the 5 or 6 weeks of playoffs and a champion is crowned, well, it seems as though the media begins this never ending narrative of Kyrie Irving and how he and King James are getting along. It's as though (to the media) believes these two guys are joined at the buttocks and that a day without discussing them on ESPN is like a day without sunshine.

Eighty-two games in a regular season is about 20 to 25 too many. I absolutely love basketball but I no longer will watch it on television. Maybe the championship series, but other than that, nada. If I see an NBA game on and say its Portland vs Dallas, I'll quickly grab the remote and change the channel to NAKED AND AFRAID or STAR TREK. That's how boring mid season NBA basketball have gotten. Oh well, I doubt they miss me watching them anyway. However, seriously, they need to put the brakes on playing basketball 10 months out of the year.

ErieHog:

No, it is about ideal in terms of game volume.  The scheduling during the season is what makes things feel unbearably long.   The NBA really has spent the last decade pushing the 'Christmas Debut' of the league as a primary TV sports option-- and because of that, they've been slow-playing the start of the season, with more off days and fewer games beforehand.  This is a time when travel is easier than ever before, and comfort and treatment are better than ever before, but we're treating the league as though people are riding a mule with a limp from city to city.  As it stands, they play 9 months a year, not 10.

Regular and post season, a champion will usually play around 100 games.   If teams had to play two more home back to backs, drop the number of 4 day breaks teams get by 1 a season on average,  or had consolidated road schedules --- say all the East Coast team play all 3 Texas teams in a row,   it would be relatively easy to shave 7 days off the regular season schedule.    Try to squeeze R1 and R2 playoff scheduling, and you can probably find another 2 days shortening.

Over the last half decade, the playoffs have been getting slightly shorter-- only one Finals has gone beyond June 12th in the last 3 years.

For context,  that was the average end date for an NBA season in the entire decade of the 1980s, despite the 1st round being best of 3 or 5 for that entire time-- the Best of 7 format didn't hit the league until 2003.

Having the NBA season be over by June 10th on average wouldn't be a hard push.

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version