• 10,569,427 Posts
• 416,062 Topics
• 23,902 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: 2019 MLB Draft - HS Commits and Draft-Eligible Players(All MLB Draft here)  (Read 28129 times)

ucahogfan

I wonder if McFarland might grad transfer. Also, under the new rules any kid not on athletic money can transfer without sitting.  Not sure who that applies to on our roster, but we have a lot more players than we have roster spots at the moment.
I don't think McFarland has graduated.  He just finished his third year on campus.

ucahogfan

Goodheart shouldn't be sharing AB with anyone at this point. It's like saying he would he competing with Heston, in LF.

Oh, he won't be sharing ABs with anyone.  Just stating who Hodges would be competing with on campus.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ucahogfan

Blake wasn’t even drafted?
That should tell everyone on this board how the draft operates.  If a player is set on going to campus like Adams is, they could be completely passed up even if they are an elite prospect.

CJ HOG

Looks like Ole Miss will get all of their #4 ranked class.  LSU and A&M got hit pretty hard
Florida too

For those interested, here's how the draft hit PG's Top 20 Classes of 2019

1)Vandy - 8
2)LSU - 7
3)FLA. - 7
4)Miss. - 3
5)A&M - 6
6)MSU - 2
7)TCU - 3
8)Miami - 3
9)F.I.U. - 5
10)Auburn - 3
11)Arizona - 4
12)Georgia Tech - 2
13)UNC - 6
14)Arkansas - 2
15)Fla. St. - 2
16)Oklahoma - 6
17)Okla. St. - 4
18)Texas Tech - 3
19)Clemson - 4
20)San Diego St. - 2

Of course this means very little until we see who signs with teams, but there's some potential for movement after the dust settles it would seem. It appears the Hogs fared well this draft, here's hoping the top 6 on this list get pillaged as much as possible.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 12:13:43 am by CJ HOG »

pigture perfect

I think Ezell will sign a free agent contract and do all right.

Bruinstyle2001

Great work Bruinstyle!

It makes it much easier to follow what's happening around the draft with this thread. Much appreciated!

No thanks necessary.  It is a pleasure to follow the players that will be moving on and coming in. 

The next big step in this thread will be tracking signings and bonus pool amounts.  But we still have a few weeks before that comes about ;)

mj4president

That should tell everyone on this board how the draft operates.  If a player is set on going to campus like Adams is, they could be completely passed up even if they are an elite prospect.

He was never dead set on coming to campus.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

He was never dead set on coming to campus.

He is now. 

fullfan

The first page shows 18 commits that were not on campus this year.  For those of you who have followed baseball recruiting classes for years, any guesses on how many of these enroll this fall? 

BroyledNutts

The first page shows 18 commits that were not on campus this year.  For those of you who have followed baseball recruiting classes for years, any guesses on how many of these enroll this fall? 

I would guess all, or nearly all ... Unless one of those signees who were drafted ( and there were only 3) wants to forego college, or just wants the MLB to buy him a new car, the amount of $$ offered to them at their draft positions shouldn't be enough to dissuade them from coming to campus  ... The real question in my mind is how many will still be there after fall ball ...

ThisTeetsTaken

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said

I would guess all, or nearly all ... Unless one of those signees who were drafted ( and there were only 3) wants to forego college, or just wants the MLB to buy him a new car, the amount of $$ offered to them at their draft positions shouldn't be enough to dissuade them from coming to campus  ... The real question in my mind is how many will still be there after fall ball ...
I was wondering about this last part.  Is having the entire incoming class making it to campus intact going to cause a numbers problem?

BroyledNutts

I was wondering about this last part.  Is having the entire incoming class making it to campus intact going to cause a numbers problem?

It could ... but what a great problem to have ...

Amityvillehogger

• Veni, vidi, vici...

There will be guys encouraged to move on.

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I liked Big Mike but it was a lie

I wouldn't count on McFarland next season

PigPusher

• Global Moderator
  • Just another day as a Hog!!!
Question from uninformed on being drafted
« Reply #514 on: June 07, 2019, 10:57:31 am »

When an underclassman baseball player is drafted out of college does he forego school and report to the majors? Or, does it depend upon the players situation.

hogfan98

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Agree to Disagree
Re: Question from uninformed on being drafted
« Reply #515 on: June 07, 2019, 11:03:48 am »

They'll play out the rest of the season if their team is still in it.

Or they can choose to stay in school too.  Contract has to be settled before they report.

HogPharmer

« Reply #516 on: June 07, 2019, 11:05:46 am »

I'm not the most knowledgeable on the MLB draft. It seems to be the most confusing draft out there to me. But I do know it depends on what round he is drafted in. Each round (if I understand correctly), or at least each pick, has a certain "slot value" that is basically associated with a bonus dollar value. Since it is extremely difficult to make it to the bigs (which is the only place you really make huge money), if you get picked high enough with a good slot value (i.e. bonus), you take it. However, in the later rounds (after the 10th round or so), your bonuses aren't really that great. So if you're an underclassman, you generally stay with hopes of improving your draft value for the next season.

However, if you're a Junior, you don't want to risk foregoing the draft and staying for your senior season usually simply because you lose all leverage as a senior and teams will take advantage of that when trying to sign you.

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #517 on: June 07, 2019, 11:13:18 am »

I'm not the most knowledgeable on the MLB draft. It seems to be the most confusing draft out there to me. But I do know it depends on what round he is drafted in. Each round (if I understand correctly), or at least each pick, has a certain "slot value" that is basically associated with a bonus dollar value. Since it is extremely difficult to make it to the bigs (which is the only place you really make huge money), if you get picked high enough with a good slot value (i.e. bonus), you take it. However, in the later rounds (after the 10th round or so), your bonuses aren't really that great. So if you're an underclassman, you generally stay with hopes of improving your draft value for the next season.

However, if you're a Junior, you don't want to risk foregoing the draft and staying for your senior season usually simply because you lose all leverage as a senior and teams will take advantage of that when trying to sign you.

All good info and accurate but I think he is asking if a player reports to the team that drafted him immediately or if he can finish the season....

HogPharmer

« Reply #518 on: June 07, 2019, 11:16:12 am »

All good info and accurate but I think he is asking if a player reports to the team that drafted him immediately or if he can finish the season....

Ah, I thought he just meant in general on how a kid decides if he should go if drafted or stay in school another year(s).

woodrow hog call

It’s one of the most difficult aspects of college baseball, at this level anyway. You have guys coming in that you expect to keep for three years, you have to have two things for them;
1. Is scholarship money and 2. Is an opening on the roster.  So you have a guy that could stay one more year, occupying a roster spot and some scholarship money, or a higher rated guy that can play three years but he needs the spot on the roster, unless he will redshirt.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian

I wouldn't count on McFarland next season

You have sources and a good thinker so I must inquire, is this sourced info or you thinking?  If I use my thinker I see where there just isn't room. 

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian

You have sources and a good thinker so I must inquire, is this sourced info or you thinking?  If I use my thinker I see where there just isn't room. 

Sources that I trust.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian

Sources that I trust.

Well I wish Mcfarland a pinch hit grand slam this weekend and a great next year then!

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian

I'll compile a list later but he isn't the only one who is moving on.

hogdollar

I'll compile a list later but he isn't the only one who is moving on.
Not liking the sounds of that to much. Hopefully it's not to many.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian

It has to be to make room.  It's just the unfortunate part of baseball. 

PigPusher

• Global Moderator
« Reply #526 on: June 07, 2019, 12:35:18 pm »

Thanks you are correct. Then too can you imagine our team if all signed and reported. We would not be able to a county fair game.

navyhog24

I'll take a trade of Jason Hodges for JMac all day. That definitely makes more room for potentially seeing Hodges at 1B or DH next season.

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian

Not anything that's gonna shock you plus it takes into account departing Juniors like Dom and Cronin who most likely will not be back. Those are just two examples not saying I've heard anything in those two.

Also, I don't post until it's confirmed twice.

DeltaHog66

Not anything that's gonna shock you plus it takes into account departing Juniors like Dom and Cronin who most likely will not be back. Those are just two examples not saying I've heard anything in those two.

Thanks spal

BroyledNutts

« Reply #530 on: June 07, 2019, 01:53:29 pm »

Thanks you are correct. Then too can you imagine our team if all signed and reported. We would not be able to a county fair game.

Neither would anyone else ... except maybe Vanderbilt.

calebhog

• Bench Warmer
Draft?
« Reply #531 on: June 07, 2019, 02:04:27 pm »

Since the draft has ended can someone post a list of players that make it to campus?

Grizzlyfan

Re: Draft?
« Reply #532 on: June 07, 2019, 02:09:00 pm »

Since the draft has ended can someone post a list of players that make it to campus?
The entire 2019 recruiting class will be on campus.

woodrow hog call

Yeah this a conversation for after Omaha, when we have finished playing. imho

RazorPiggie

DVH basically said that this year was McFarlands stuff or get off the pot year.

calebhog

• Bench Warmer
Draft?
« Reply #535 on: June 07, 2019, 03:00:01 pm »

Since the draft has ended can someone put together a list of players that should make it to campus?

Hogarusa

Re: Draft?
« Reply #536 on: June 07, 2019, 03:00:52 pm »

Check out this 11 page thread on this very forum.

https://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=681867.0

PigPusher

• Global Moderator

Thanks. That helped a bunch.

PigPusher

• Global Moderator
« Reply #538 on: June 09, 2019, 01:41:31 am »

Thanks you are correct. Then too can you imagine our team if all signed and reported. We would not be able to win a county fair game.

bulldog04

Mississippi State lost Jared Johnson a 14th round pick to the Braves. Signed for 257,200. He’s a righty that throws mid 90s and just popped up this spring.
The Braves also got Kasey Kalich a junior from A$m 100k under slot. They also got 19th round pick Kadon Morton for 447,500 who was an Okie commit. 

ucahogfan

Mississippi State lost Jared Johnson a 14th round pick to the Braves. Signed for 257,200. He’s a righty that throws mid 90s and just popped up this spring.
The Braves also got Kasey Kalich a junior from A$m 100k under slot. They also got 19th round pick Kadon Morton for 447,500 who was an Okie commit.
The Braves had the second largest pool this year I believe and have done well signing potential high level talents after the top 10 rounds.  Johnson had as much helium as any player in the country this spring it seemed like.

BroyledNutts

UCA has there been any word on Allison, Hodges, or Tamez signing?

Bruinstyle2001

As we become aware of signings and bonuses, let me know and I will add it to the table.

EconHawg

SIAP, but per Ryan Folkes's twitter account:

Ryan Folkes @RyanFolkes
2h

#ProHogs | Trevor Ezell has agreed to a free agent contract with the Tampa Bay Rays.

woodrow hog call

Ryan Folkes @RyanFolkes
2h

#ProHogs | Trevor Ezell has agreed to a free agent contract with the Tampa Bay Rays.

That's the best news I have heard today, whether he ever makes it to a big league roster or not, I'm happy for him. I would suspect he will become a fan favorite at whatever level he spends much time at.

Bruinstyle2001

Ryan Folkes @RyanFolkes
2h

I figured that is what we would see/hear for him.  While he might have been a risk as a draft prospect due to the shoulder, the free agent deal to wait and see made sense.  Good for him and keep hitting, Trevor! 

AlmaHog2011

• All-American Hogvillian

Bumping this thread just to get a recap since season is now over. Sure hope we hang on to Hodges, Allison and Tamez! Think they can all make a big impact at some point, and seems like we'll hold on the based upon where they were drafted and how much they'll be offered.

Still no word on these guys? Man I just watched some clips of Hodges and wow he looks like a stud. Nice swing and looks like he's been in the weight room since birth.

BroyledNutts

Ryan Folkes @RyanFolkes
2h

That is fantastic ...

ucahogfan

We have the first top ten round pick who will not be signing.  The Rangers 7th round selection Brandon Sproat will go to school at Florida.

jacketsting

• Varsity

That is fantastic ...
The guy is a beast at 1st base and at the plate, definitely deserves a chance in the majors.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas