• 10,303,656 Posts
• 408,312 Topics
• 23,335 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Blessings/NCAA’s  (Read 1783 times)

Hog2010

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Blessings/NCAA’s
« on: May 09, 2019, 05:02:27 pm »

Anyone planning on going out to watch the golf!?  I will be there!!  I wonder if they will have the golf shop open!?  I’d like to buy a shirt.

widespreadsooie

Re: Blessings/NCAA’s
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 05:38:12 pm »

I'll probably mosey on out there one day

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ricepig

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 05:49:10 pm »

Anyone planning on going out to watch the golf!?  I will be there!!  I wonder if they will have the golf shop open!?  I’d like to buy a shirt.

You know with free tickets, Johnny will be hawking shirts!

Boarcephus

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 05:59:09 pm »

Is it true if you work as a volunteer you'll get a free round of golf there?

GolfNut57

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 08:05:04 pm »

If that was true and the dates worked out for me I would be all over it. lol. So when is the NCAA tourney?

widespreadsooie

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 08:38:27 pm »

I think there's different levels of volunteers and the top level gets a free round. The top level is also a ton of hours. I also think it actually COSTS $45 to volunteer but that comes with free meals, shirts, and in some cases a round at the Blessings.

majestic

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 08:55:11 pm »

I think there's different levels of volunteers and the top level gets a free round. The top level is also a ton of hours. I also think it actually COSTS $45 to volunteer but that comes with free meals, shirts, and in some cases a round at the Blessings.
And I bet you'll get to play at 3pm in February.

Boarcephus

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 09:08:41 pm »

I have a friend volunteer for the mens NCAA the last time it was held here and he worked one day and got a free round. I'll. check into it tomorrow.  I'm retired and have the time so why not?

Boarcephus

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 09:13:05 pm »

If that was true and the dates worked out for me I would be all over it. lol. So when is the NCAA tourney?

It shows May 17-22. 

widespreadsooie

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 09:20:49 pm »

I have a friend volunteer for the mens NCAA the last time it was held here and he worked one day and got a free round. I'll. check into it tomorrow.  I'm retired and have the time so why not?

Volunteering at the Fed Ex St. Jude was a blast. Short on time this month otherwise I'd look into volunteering for this as well.

kingofdequeen

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 07:22:31 am »

gonna be a lot of high numbers at this thing - brutal course from word of mouth.  never seen it but everyone who's ever talked about it, the look on their faces change to that of dread and doubt.   like theyve been in the sh** and seen some things.   

Cotton

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 09:00:49 am »

I've got a buddy that works there, I'll check with him.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 09:36:31 am »

gonna be a lot of high numbers at this thing - brutal course from word of mouth.  never seen it but everyone who's ever talked about it, the look on their faces change to that of dread and doubt.   like theyve been in the sh** and seen some things.

It's got nothing on Southern hills. 

kingofdequeen

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 09:37:37 am »

It's got nothing on Southern hills. 

at the risk of awakening ole candyman, that course is a SOB.  worst rough ever to not be really thick. 

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 09:40:00 am »

at the risk of awakening ole candyman, that course is a SOB.  worst rough ever to not be really thick.

I bet war memorial after a LR game rough is better.

kingofdequeen

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 09:40:45 am »

I bet war memorial after a LR game rough is better.

hard to play out of vomit.

Boarcephus

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 10:56:48 am »

I've contacted the lady who handles the volunteer part of it and waiting to hear back from her.  Evan told me that all he had was it cost $45 to volunteer and for that you got 2 shirts, a hat, 4 tickets to the LPGA and 4 to this event plus meals.  If anyone is interested I'll post the info from her when I get it. 

widespreadsooie

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 01:08:43 pm »

It's definitely a beast of a course but I think it should be manageable for the average college golfer.

GolfNut57

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 01:09:53 pm »

I've contacted the lady who handles the volunteer part of it and waiting to hear back from her.  Evan told me that all he had was it cost $45 to volunteer and for that you got 2 shirts, a hat, 4 tickets to the LPGA and 4 to this event plus meals. If anyone is interested I'll post the info from her when I get it.

Please do.......I am interested in volunteering. Whether I get to play a round or not. But........if you are volunteering why would you need tickets to the event?

kingofdequeen

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 01:13:29 pm »

It's definitely a beast of a course but I think it should be manageable for the average college golfer.

dude there's gonna be some high numbers.  snowmen.  watch.    7900 yards with that much elevation will be unmanageable for almost anyone.   

Big Sugar at 7200 would beat the crap out of some decent college players.  imagine Blessings will be a lot harder.

widespreadsooie

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 01:29:22 pm »

dude there's gonna be some high numbers.  snowmen.  watch.    7900 yards with that much elevation will be unmanageable for almost anyone.   

Big Sugar at 7200 would beat the crap out of some decent college players.  imagine Blessings will be a lot harder.

Lol. Sure there will be some high numbers, just like any other tournament would have. I'm not expecting it to regress too far from mean though. I don't know what you're so adamant about if you've never played the course, much less to never even see it.

kingofdequeen

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 01:34:35 pm »

Lol. Sure there will be some high numbers, just like any other tournament would have. I'm not expecting it to regress too far from mean though. I don't know what you're so adamant about if you've never played the course, much less to never even see it.

because people i know who are sticks told me "omfg you have no idea how hard this place is".   i respect their opinions immensely b/c many of them can knock my dick into my watch pocket with a golf club. 

it's not scientific, but if i were to do a word cloud of all the descriptions they gave, the biggest words would be "stupid" and "lost balls".

kingofdequeen

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 01:38:05 pm »

and these are good players who aren't kids who are probably rolling it and having a good time and not on golf channel. 

Gohogs600

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 01:42:02 pm »

Double post. Mod pls delete.

Gohogs600

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 01:47:31 pm »

Hi all. I know the following about the event: Golf shop will be open to the public. Top tier volunteers get the free round. Not all volunteer commitments automatically get a free round, as it’s based on shifts worked. Not sure of the exact volunteer details beyond that. Course will play mid 7000s length for guys.

While opinion only, I find this course, post-remodel,  notably more challenging than southern hills. How southern hills remodel impacts that comparison is obviously TBD still. If the weather is dry and the wind blows that will obviously drive up scores. If conditions are benign, there may be one man here or there that might go low. We saw that in the regional a few years ago, pre remodel.

kingofdequeen

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2019, 02:05:34 pm »

by comparison - bethpage black is around 7500 yards and a par 71.  look what that does to tour pros.

i don't know if they'll trick the course out or not, but they could if they wanted to.

Boarcephus

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2019, 02:34:40 pm »

Please do.......I am interested in volunteering. Whether I get to play a round or not. But........if you are volunteering why would you need tickets to the event?

To get your friends or family in I guess. I emailed her this morning and have not heard back from her as of now. 

widespreadsooie

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2019, 03:11:33 pm »

by comparison - bethpage black is around 7500 yards and a par 71.  look what that does to tour pros.

i don't know if they'll trick the course out or not, but they could if they wanted to.

That's comparing apples to oranges. Bethpage Black is arguably the hardest course in the country. Length is one of many, many variables that determine a courses' difficulty.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2019, 05:45:01 pm »

I'm going to do my level best to attend, either the women's weekend, or the men's weekend(can't do both)

Here's a nice preview article on Blessings Golf Club from Golfweek:
https://golfweek.com/2019/05/10/ncaa-championships-blessings-golf-club-a-worthy-challenge/http://

ricepig

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2019, 06:09:44 pm »

To get your friends or family in I guess. I emailed her this morning and have not heard back from her as of now. 

Well, admission is free, so I still don't know why you would need tickets, maybe it helps you get in quicker, but thanks for the info. I plan on watching the Men's championship, as of right now.

Boarcephus

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2019, 06:42:45 pm »

Well, admission is free, so I still don't know why you would need tickets, maybe it helps you get in quicker, but thanks for the info. I plan on watching the Men's championship, as of right now.

If admission is free then you got me.  Just repeating what I was told.  Hopefully I'll hear something from this lady and we'll know for sure.  I think I'll slip out and watch some of the girls.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2019, 07:35:32 pm »

Hi all. I know the following about the event: Golf shop will be open to the public. Top tier volunteers get the free round. Not all volunteer commitments automatically get a free round, as it’s based on shifts worked. Not sure of the exact volunteer details beyond that. Course will play mid 7000s length for guys.

While opinion only, I find this course, post-remodel,  notably more challenging than southern hills. How southern hills remodel impacts that comparison is obviously TBD still. If the weather is dry and the wind blows that will obviously drive up scores. If conditions are benign, there may be one man here or there that might go low. We saw that in the regional a few years ago, pre remodel.

After the Southern Hills restoration, it will be 7,500 yards, Par 70 (always has been Par 70 for professional tournaments, a Par 71 for members).

The style of the bunkering being changed back to Perry Maxwell's style will make the course more difficult.

Several creeks are being restored.  A creek will now be in play on the 10th hole.  The creek on the world-class short Par 4 17th hole is now more into play (post restoration the creek will cross the fairway).  The creek on the 18th hole will now be more into play in the landing area of the tee shot.

The fierce Par 4 18th hole will be even tougher at 505 yards (was 465 yards).

The green on the Par 4 7th hole has been moved, flush up against a creek.

They have been doing some intelligent tree thinning.  That will make the ever present Oklahoma wind be more of impact.

There will be no weaknesses.  It will be the premier test of golf in the world, perhaps only somewhat equaled by Pine Valley in New Jersey.

Post restoration, in tournament set-up conditions I presume Southern Hills' Slope Rating will be around 160.

Gohogs600

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2019, 08:25:56 am »

Post restoration, in tournament set-up conditions I presume Southern Hills' Slope Rating will be around 160.

I could be wrong, but I think slope mathematically tops out at 155.

kingofdequeen

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2019, 09:44:47 am »

Dillar Dog

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2019, 09:58:57 am »

I could be wrong, but I think slope mathematically tops out at 155.

And southern hills isn't even the hardest course in Oklahoma. And still won't be after they fix it.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2019, 06:29:53 pm »

And southern hills isn't even the hardest course in Oklahoma. And still won't be after they fix it.

Out of curiosity. Which do you think are harder?   

Dillar Dog

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2019, 09:54:53 pm »

Out of curiosity. Which do you think are harder?   

Oak Tree is one of the hardest courses that exist.

Our resident idiot will talk scores because he's very predictable. They tamed it down in 88.

I get going all in old school architects. Maxwell built some great courses but he's not the best ever at doing it  Building a tough course doesn't make you the best architect. If it did Pete Dye would be the greatest ever. He's not,

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2019, 04:20:20 pm »

Oak Tree is known to be difficult, but the changes being made to Southern Hills, which was a very demanding course to begin with, will make Southern Hills even more difficult.

Here is a quote from the late great Arnold Palmer about Southern Hills.

"No human alive can shoot 71 consistently on this course."

Also, the following shows the difficulty of Southern Hills.

From 1937 to 1963, Sam Snead missed just one cut in a Major.  It came at Southern Hills in 1958. 

With the creeks being restored, there will now be a total of 10 holes with water in play (#2, #6, #7, #8, #10, #12, #13, #16, #17, and #18).  A golfer though has to hit a real bad shot for the water to be a factor on Hole 8 and Hole 16.

Regarding the lengthening of the course during the restoration, I do know that the Par 4 18th Hole has been lengthened to 505 Yards.  The 7th Hole has been lengthened some 40 Yards because the green has been moved.  I presume a hole that may be being lengthened is the 9th Hole.  It seems like I read somewhere that 35 Yards is being added to the Par 5 13th Hole.  It was 537 Yards, and that would make it 572 Yards, which would increase the already substantial risk-reward nature of that Par 5 Hole.

The Par 5 5th Hole is already 655 Yards, so doubtful that is being lengthened.   

Several bunkers have been moved for strategic purposes, including the fairway bunker on the 1st Hole, shifting it from the right side of the fairway to the left side of the fairway.  That will make the approach shot tougher on the 1st Hole.  The fairway bunker on the world-class Par 4 12th Hole has been moved farther toward the green, requiring a longer carry to clear it from the tee box.

The greens will be perfect and will be extremely fast.  A hydronics system is an amazing system.  I saw some pictures of the course from earlier this year when they had a light snowfall in Tulsa, and the greens had no snow on them and the greens were perfectly green despite the time of year and despite the fact there was a light snowfall on the rest of the course.

Boarcephus

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2019, 10:43:18 am »

I received a response from the lady in charge of the volunteers at the Blessings.  I replied to this asking about the $45 fee for volunteering, how to earn a free round, etc.  If and when she responds I'll post it.   So far this is all I have. 

Hi Steve - thanks for reaching out! I've included the areas below where we are still in need of additional volunteer support. If you're interested in volunteering, please sign up at https://2019ncaachamp.my-trs.com/. Let me know if you have any questions!

Transportation
o   Sunday, May 19
o   Monday, May 20
o   Tuesday, May 28

Standard Bearers
o   Monday, May 20
o   Tuesday, May 21

Walking Scorers
o   Friday, May 24
o   Saturday, May 25

Television/Golf Channel
-    Tuesday, May 21
-    Tuesday, May 28

Thanks,
Rachel

ricepig

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2019, 11:18:55 am »

I received a response from the lady in charge of the volunteers at the Blessings.  I replied to this asking about the $45 fee for volunteering, how to earn a free round, etc.  If and when she responds I'll post it.   So far this is all I have. 

Hi Steve - thanks for reaching out! I've included the areas below where we are still in need of additional volunteer support. If you're interested in volunteering, please sign up at https://2019ncaachamp.my-trs.com/. Let me know if you have any questions!

Transportation
o   Sunday, May 19
o   Monday, May 20
o   Tuesday, May 28

Standard Bearers
o   Monday, May 20
o   Tuesday, May 21

Walking Scorers
o   Friday, May 24
o   Saturday, May 25

Television/Golf Channel
-    Tuesday, May 21
-    Tuesday, May 28

Thanks,
Rachel

I guess I could do the commentary on the Golf Channel for one of those days, were they looking for someone to be on course, do a specific hole, or just talking about everybody’s garbage swings? Seriously, thanks for posting, I think I’ll just walk and watch a little, then find a shade tree when I’m tired, that’s my usual strategy at a PGA event.

Hog2010

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2019, 01:12:17 pm »

Will they serve beer?

GolfNut57

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2019, 05:23:53 pm »

Transportation
o   Sunday, May 19
o   Monday, May 20
o   Tuesday, May 28

Standard Bearers
o   Monday, May 20
o   Tuesday, May 21

Walking Scorers
o   Friday, May 24
o   Saturday, May 25

Television/Golf Channel
-    Tuesday, May 21
-    Tuesday, May 28

Thanks,
Rachel

Guessing the Golf channel volunteers involve helping to lay the TV cables. Or maybe play GoFer for the TV crews since they can't leave their towers/ areas where they will be broadcasting from.

I guess I could do the commentary on the Golf Channel for one of those days, were they looking for someone to be on course, do a specific hole, or just talking about everybody’s garbage swings? Seriously, thanks for posting, I think I’ll just walk and watch a little, then find a shade tree when I’m tired, that’s my usual strategy at a PGA event.

Figures you couldn't do the "Standard bearer" since you have no standards worth bearing.  8)

Boarcephus

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2019, 08:43:20 pm »

This will tell you everything you need to know about the volunteer program.

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Volunteer-Program-FAQs.pdf

Gohogs600

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2019, 08:57:05 pm »

This will tell you everything you need to know about the volunteer program.

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Volunteer-Program-FAQs.pdf

It’s my understanding that the tv volunteers are primarily needed to relay scoring results for a group they are assigned to, back to the golf channel personnel for use on their broadcast.

Boarcephus

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2019, 08:31:20 am »

I think I’ll just walk and watch a little, then find a shade tree when I’m tired, that’s my usual strategy at a PGA event.

I think this is a helluva good plan. Believe it'll be mine as well.  I'd like to see the course so I'll probably slip out and watch the men and the women for a day. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:43:12 am by Boarcephus »

ricepig

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2019, 01:25:44 pm »

Well, don’t have to worry about watching the men’s team, spit the bit going down the stretch today. Last I looked they would have to birdie the 6 final holes amongst our golfers still on the course, we’ve gone about +7 the past 6-7 holes to fall to 6th place.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2019, 02:43:12 pm »

Well, don’t have to worry about watching the men’s team, spit the bit going down the stretch today. Last I looked they would have to birdie the 6 final holes amongst our golfers still on the course, we’ve gone about +7 the past 6-7 holes to fall to 6th place.
Wow, bitter pill to swallow for the men, to not get to play nationals on their home course.
But, they only shot one shot worse today(292) than yesterday(291).
In the end, they were seeded #6 and finished #6. Good seeding by the NCAA, I guess.

Texas (-25)
TCU (-5)
Clemson (-1)
Pepperdine (+6)
Southern Cal(+8)
Arkansas (+13)

After winning an SEC Championship, you would still have to say this was a pretty darn good year for the golf Hogs, even with this disappointment.

Hog2010

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2019, 03:37:26 pm »

That should make a difference in attendance, no?

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2019, 04:09:37 pm »

That should make a difference in attendance, no?
Absolutely.

Me, as a golf geek, I'm going to try to find a way to get out there, regardless.

But I was much more excited about getting out there and following the home team around.

Other people may not show up.

Boarcephus

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2019, 06:30:43 pm »

It's a shame they didn't make it but the wife and I are planning on slipping out Friday and watch the girls. I'd like to see the course, the houses, clubhouse, etc and just mosey around.  Should be fun.  I took her to the LPGA event last year and she had a blast. 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas