• 10,349,952 Posts
• 409,553 Topics
• 23,410 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hogville on iPhone  (Read 1738 times)

Sho Nuff

Hogville on iPhone
« on: May 09, 2019, 08:16:40 am »

About half of the time that I try to access Hogville on my phone it redirects me to a page entitled goodluckday.site - it's and ad about winning a gift card.  This happening with anyone else?

Hawgey-Davidson

Re: Hogville on iPhone
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 10:24:10 am »

Yep. Every time I log on. Been happening bout a month. Don’t make the mistake I made and seek the treasure. Phone been blowing up since. Aggravating as hell.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Sho Nuff

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 11:04:15 pm »

Anyone have a solution?

TexHog188

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 12:22:30 am »

Delete it. I finally gave up on the app as it loads nothing but blank pages now.

Lanny

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 06:10:36 am »

How often has this happened, post a screen shot

Scott Marshall

• Administrator
  • Senior
  • Living the DREAM
    • NWAhomepage.com
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 09:37:46 am »

About half of the time that I try to access Hogville on my phone it redirects me to a page entitled goodluckday.site - it's and ad about winning a gift card.  This happening with anyone else?
So Hogville Forums on the App or Hogville Forums outside the app? Also is it when you go to the forums only?

Sho Nuff

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 02:08:11 pm »

So Hogville Forums on the App or Hogville Forums outside the app? Also is it when you go to the forums only?
Not using the app, just my browser.  I just checked and it didn't do it this time.  I'll post a screenshot when it does.  Thank You

Lulu Hog

• Hogvillian
  • JD, How bout them HOGS!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 05:07:23 pm »

This happens to me too

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 05:48:24 pm »

How often has this happened, post a screen shot

Screen shot of a blank screen? 

Arazorbackguy1

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 04:27:27 pm »

When i get blank screen, I just tap the screen and the message shows up.

hawg1221

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 07:03:55 pm »

Not using the app, just my browser.  I just checked and it didn't do it this time.  I'll post a screenshot when it does.  Thank You

Yes. I just bookmarked the forum homepage and added the icon to my front page. No problems.

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 09:37:30 am »

Not a complete blank screen, but lingering issue since app was reloaded over the weekend.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 07:00:42 am »

Doug

• Pusillanimous Jackwagon Basher
    • GridironHistory.com
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 08:53:00 am »

When you share your screen grabs, please indicate if you're using the Hogville app or a web browser (and which one).

Also, for the forums, please also let us know if you're using the desktop view (you'll see the Hogville logo at the top) or the mobile view.

Providing us with this info will help us narrow down where the issue is.

Also, don't forget to clear your cache regularly on your mobile devices, please. Instructions are here for this...

Oh, and please make sure you've performed the latest updates for your mobile device AND all apps.

31to6

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 10:50:04 am »

PSA:

Those ads are one of three things: scams, phishing or malware.

TL;DR? - Nobody on the internet wants to give you anything of value for free (except Hogville :P). Don't click. Ever. Don't click the "Close" button in the pop-up either--just because it says "Close" does not mean that is what it does. If you can't kill the popup from outside the window, kill the browser (on iPhone double click home and swipe up on the browser, if iPhone X, swipe from bottom up-right, then swipe up on browser to kill it).

Scams: They are attempting to get you to do something that will either cost you money or compromise your identity. It could be as benign as getting you to become an unwitting Facebook follower to getting you to give them a little $ (for example to validate that their "SWIFT network can deposit the winnings into your account").

Phishing: They are trying to trick you into giving them something that should be secret that they can resell to other bad guys. This could be Personally Identifiable Information (PII) such as your SSN, your birthdate or bank routing numbers, passwords and credit card numbers.

Malware: <more prevalent on Android, but also possible on iPhone despite the marketing> At some point during your interaction with the site will install a trojan or virus onto your phone to do whatever evil crap they want to do to you. (Listen to your calls? use your phone to attack others? < bye bye battery life > Grab passwords and cc #'s when you use them through your phone? The sky is the limit, depending on the malware. No es bueno.)

They are often inserted into advertising affiliate networks. (Innocent website, trying to pay the bills, has a deal with ad network. Hostile actor submits an ad to that network's advertising stream or hacks a site that is hosting an ad already being served by the network. Innocent website displays random ads from the network and so some folks get hit with the campaign.)

The reason phones are targeted is that they have weaker malware protections than full computers and there are billions more phones than computers.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 07:31:20 pm by 31to6 »

Sho Nuff

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 12:50:27 pm »

When you share your screen grabs, please indicate if you're using the Hogville app or a web browser (and which one).

Also, for the forums, please also let us know if you're using the desktop view (you'll see the Hogville logo at the top) or the mobile view.

Providing us with this info will help us narrow down where the issue is.

Also, don't forget to clear your cache regularly on your mobile devices, please. Instructions are here for this...

Oh, and please make sure you've performed the latest updates for your mobile device AND all apps.
Thanks Doug!  I was using a browser (Safari) with the desktop view.  I'll try clearing everything now.

Scott Marshall

• Administrator
  • Senior
  • Living the DREAM
    • NWAhomepage.com
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 07:09:07 pm »

Thanks for all the info I believe we have narrowed it down to one of our providers, should be fixed in a couple days! The more info the better tracking these issues down. These little bugs suck, but sometimes they slip through our ad networks we utilize to keep the site free!  :D

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 07:21:19 pm »

Thanks for all the info I believe we have narrowed it down to one of our providers, should be fixed in a couple days! The more info the better tracking these issues down. These little bugs suck, but sometimes they slip through our ad networks we utilize to keep the site free!  :D

Awesome, I don't think most folks can wrap their heads around how one tiny little line of code can wreak havoc or cause inconsistent issues. 

JIHawg

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 09:36:05 pm »

Works fine for me.

Scott Marshall

• Administrator
  • Senior
  • Living the DREAM
    • NWAhomepage.com
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 09:16:41 am »

We tracked down the advertiser that slipped through our Ad Network. Our ad team recommends 'to cache your browser' and/or clear your cookies

Chrome

At the top of the "Clear browsing data" window, click Advanced.
    Select the following: Browsing history. Download history. Cookies and other site data. Cached images and files. ...
    Click CLEAR DATA.
    Exit/quit all browser windows and re-open the browser.

In Chrome

On your computer, open Chrome.
    At the top right, click More .
    Click More tools Clear browsing data.
    At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, select All time.
    Next to "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files," check the boxes.
    Click Clear data.

PigPusher

• Global Moderator
  • Just another day as a Hog!!!
Tic, Tic, Tic the beginning of a new era 10 weeks ahead
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 05:51:16 am »

The beginning of practice that is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas