• 10,354,880 Posts
• 409,693 Topics
• 23,417 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Step Back in Time: Arkansas' final season in the SWC and...  (Read 1854 times)

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
Re: A Step Back in Time: Arkansas' final season in the SWC and...
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2019, 05:24:07 pm »

I think Houston wouldn't have been bumped and it would have been the first Super Conference; or, they would have left out Texas tech.

Houston wasn't going to be included for the same reason that they have a hard time gaining membership these days, they couldn't seem to be able to "pay" their fans to attend home games. They have had trouble with this for a long time. Even during the hey-days of Houston football when Bill Yeoman was the HC. They were really setting the world on fire from 1966-1968 and then 1976-1984. Can you imagine (these days) a team who leads the nation in total offense having a hard time putting Butts in the bleachers? Well Houston has traditionally had a hard time doing this.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2019, 05:43:29 pm »

Houston wasn't going to be included for the same reason that they have a hard time gaining membership these days, they couldn't seem to be able to "pay" their fans to attend home games. They have had trouble with this for a long time. Even during the hey-days of Houston football when Bill Yeoman was the HC. They were really setting the world on fire from 1966-1968 and then 1976-1984. Can you imagine (these days) a team who leads the nation in total offense having a hard time putting Butts in the bleachers? Well Houston has traditionally had a hard time doing this.

Houston is a commuter school much like a larger UALR competing with the Texans/Oilers for "Butts" which I have thought that was the reason for their lack of a real following.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2019, 06:04:20 pm »

Houston is a commuter school much like a larger UALR competing with the Texans/Oilers for "Butts" which I have thought that was the reason for their lack of a real following.

Agreed, plus there are just so many dollars to go around. Texans/Oilers, Rockets, Astros...Houston is a professional sports town. Tough to compete with that.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2019, 06:09:59 pm »

It’s an issue or problem that a lot of urban commuter type schools have always had.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2019, 06:16:04 pm »

It’s an issue or problem that a lot of urban commuter type schools have always had.

It is also the reason I think it ludicrous whenever talk of creating a football program at UALR comes up.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2019, 07:00:29 pm »

It is also the reason I think it ludicrous whenever talk of creating a football program at UALR comes up.

It might be but at least they wouldn't have to compete with 1st tier professional sports teams for ticket sales. That said, I'm not sure that Arkansas has enough population to support 3 division I programs, numerous Div 2 programs and then yet another, in LR.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas