• 10,303,591 Posts
• 408,311 Topics
• 23,335 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lone Star Park?  (Read 349 times)

HogFanInBryant

Lone Star Park?
« on: May 07, 2019, 09:36:58 pm »

Does anyone keep an eye on Lone Star Park and have any good angles or what they consider inside info?  It is such a quality place with a nice dirt and turf course...but the quality of the racehorse there is just almost pitiful.  But...a lot of serious gamblers say you can make some consistent profit there if you know what you are doing...which I don't lol!?!?

userpick

Re: Lone Star Park?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 10:45:28 pm »

Whoever says they make consistent profit there is lying. With incredibly high takeout and Broberg/Asmussen/Calhoun/Pish winning every race, itís not playable IMO. Maybe if youíre extremely disciplined and bet rarely there you can get it done. Youíre right though. Itís a beautiful facility. One of my favorites.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HogFanInBryant

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 10:50:45 pm »

Whoever says they make consistent profit there is lying. With incredibly high takeout and Broberg/Asmussen/Calhoun/Pish winning every race, itís not playable IMO. Maybe if youíre extremely disciplined and bet rarely there you can get it done. Youíre right though. Itís a beautiful facility. One of my favorites.

I visit a few other horse racing forums and see a lot of mention by gamblers on west and east coast saying they do well at Lone Star Park.  I just never really follow it honestly.  Was thinking about trying to stay on top of it this year.  I used to do really good at Hawthorne years ago and it kinda reminds me of the same type races/horse quality.  I do think Hawthorne now has much higher purses though.

HawgFan70

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 08:40:37 am »

After Oaklawn it is extremely hard to find a track to bet. California tracks are 5-6 horse fields. New York tracks have always been hard for me so many state bred races and every race has a even money horse. I use to do really good at Lone Star but as the OP stated you have 5 trainers that will win 85% of the races. Tampa Bay always has big fields and some prices hit the board. Tough track to bet from what ive seen there in the past. I am going to stick with Churchill and try to start following Belmont some. I need to stay sharp i really want  to qualify for the National Handicapping Championship in Vegas this year.  Does anyone know if Oaklawn will have a handicapping tournament this year?

userpick

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 12:12:01 pm »

After Oaklawn it is extremely hard to find a track to bet. California tracks are 5-6 horse fields. New York tracks have always been hard for me so many state bred races and every race has a even money horse. I use to do really good at Lone Star but as the OP stated you have 5 trainers that will win 85% of the races. Tampa Bay always has big fields and some prices hit the board. Tough track to bet from what ive seen there in the past. I am going to stick with Churchill and try to start following Belmont some. I need to stay sharp i really want  to qualify for the National Handicapping Championship in Vegas this year.  Does anyone know if Oaklawn will have a handicapping tournament this year?

Oaklawn usually does a series of tournaments with the grand prize winner winning an entry fee into the HPWS, but not the NHC. Having played in both several times, I wouldnít spend a ton of money trying to qualify. I much prefer the live money format. BCBC, Saratoga Challenge, etc.

HawgFan70

• Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 01:00:54 pm »

I played in one of the qualifiers at Oaklawn last year i got to 3rd place thanks to Joe Bravo taking a $20 winner down the rail on one of the best rides i saw last year. I had 2 bets remaining and made a rookie mistake i thought if i could hit anything i could limp to a top 3 finish. So i backed off a 15-1 shot i liked for a favorite be won i missed with both my last 2 bets amd finished 11th. That would have free rolled me into the Oaklawn finals. I will try them again this year if they have it.

holeinthewall

• Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 03:45:55 pm »

I use to paly a lot of tracks.  But like you stated California is short fields. Gulfstream to me lost all its luster when they started leasing Calder and basically running a GP meet year round.

So after Oaklawn I watch a lot of TVG in the summer while in the pool but I rarely bet again until Breeders Cup.

userpick

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 03:53:55 pm »

I use to paly a lot of tracks.  But like you stated California is short fields. Gulfstream to me lost all its luster when they started leasing Calder and basically running a GP meet year round.

So after Oaklawn I watch a lot of TVG in the summer while in the pool but I rarely bet again until Breeders Cup.

Smart. My handle is down a ton this year. Iím pretty much only betting big days the rest of the year.

jdelo77

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 08:57:14 pm »

You can do well at lone star but pick and choose your spots like others have said , Iíve had a couple nice hits there in last few months ..

husker71

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 08:04:24 am »

I was a nearly every night attendee years ago.  They used to have a great buffet.  We had several jockeys and trainers stay at our hotel there.  Watch for low % Texas and Oklahoma trainers bringing in 1st time runners who can run.  I used to watch the odds looking for a drop right after they left the paddock and then backup.  They had ticket sellers who came right to your table so no standing in line.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Will the Hogs make it back to Omaha in 2019 ?
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 12:08:14 pm »

Agree to the 100th percentile. Sort of like OP used to be in the 80's to early 90's when Pat Day was winning bushels of races by a half a head and the form chart read, ridden out or horse not asked for best speed.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Will the Hogs make it back to Omaha in 2019 ?
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 12:14:26 pm »

Oh I long for the days, and may he RIP, that Cole Norman was still training. There were so many times Norman would have two horses entered in a race, usually a mid level claimer, one horse would be 2/1 the other 11/1 and you could just about count your money on the longer shot winning. Now he didn't do this with the more talented horses nor with the mdn's or mdn clmr's , but older experienced horses who would win 3 or 4 races a year, that's where Cole would pull this stunt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas