• 10,303,592 Posts
• 408,311 Topics
• 23,335 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jordyn Wieber New Gymnastics Cosch  (Read 3543 times)

logic

Re: Jordyn Wieber New Gymnastics Cosch
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2019, 01:44:38 pm »

I still would have rather them give Jaime Lee Armburst the chance than a 23 year old volunteer coach.
So what! That not your or my decision to make.

In any event very few people watch college gymnastics. That is why she is being paid less than even assistant ladies basketball coaches, let alone assistants for men's high profile sports.  And, at her salary, you cannot hire extremely talented older people with 20 years' experience.  You can hire older people with 1 year's experience 20 times. Therefore, an extremely talented young coach  is probably better than an average older coach.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:57:02 pm by logic »

mhsbc59

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2019, 01:52:04 pm »

Maybe she lacked a plan for the future in the interviews and Weiber had one?   Or maybe had a better plan? 

objection: speculation

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

311Hog

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2019, 01:54:17 pm »

I still would have rather them give Jaime Lee Armburst the chance than a 23 year old volunteer coach.

i dont know enough to make a choice either way, all i can say is allot more people now know who our lady back gymnastic coach is  as oppose to who would know if we hired from within.  If she can do half what she has done for UCLA floor and her own career i would think she will be amazing here.

mhsbc59

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2019, 01:54:18 pm »

So what! That not your decision to make.

It wasnt yours to hire Weber so what?  Just one man opinion.

mhsbc59

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2019, 01:59:35 pm »

i dont know enough to make a choice either way, all i can say is allot more people now know who our lady back gymnastic coach is  as oppose to who would know if we hired from within.  If she can do half what she has done for UCLA floor and her own career i would think she will be amazing here.

My point is we didnt need to make a big splash hire we are a top 15 program national already we have had National champions and  in individual competition.  Jamie being one of them who also has been a payed Associate head coach as long as Jordan was a volunteer coach

311Hog

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2019, 02:03:02 pm »

My point is we didnt need to make a big splash hire we are a top 15 program national already we have had National champions and  in individual competition.  Jamie being one of them who also has been a payed Associate head coach as long as Jordan was a volunteer coach

not disagreeing with ya, i am evidence that the Wieber hire reached new people myself being an example. I didn't know or pay any attention to the gymbacks but i noticed this hire and it sparked an interest i am sure i am not alone in this category.   I don't think i would have noticed if they hired from within.

mhsbc59

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2019, 02:20:38 pm »

not disagreeing with ya, i am evidence that the Wieber hire reached new people myself being an example. I didn't know or pay any attention to the gymbacks but i noticed this hire and it sparked an interest i am sure i am not alone in this category.   I don't think i would have noticed if they hired from within.

Well that is great and Im glad you are now interested. But can you see why some of us are opposed to this hire as an Unproven commodity coming to take over a good program as concerning and that those of us who do follow are worried that HY was only interest in the splash and not the success of the program because most people really don't care if we are good or not.  HY just wanted press.

311Hog

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2019, 02:33:38 pm »

Well that is great and Im glad you are now interested. But can you see why some of us are opposed to this hire as an Unproven commodity coming to take over a good program as concerning and that those of us who do follow are worried that HY was only interest in the splash and not the success of the program because most people really don't care if we are good or not.  HY just wanted press.

yeah i get the concern over her age etc. but i watched a video of the head UCLA coach talking about Jordyn and that was all i really needed to see.  Volunteer doesn't do her justice.

I think of it like this if you can hire Mia Hamm to coach your girls soccer team you do it.  Hopefully it will work out.

Stu

• Varsity
  • This really isnít that important.
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2019, 10:21:05 pm »

objection: speculation
Iím not a lawyer, though I play one at times.  Even so, it was most definitely speculation, but the original question was why did HY hire Wieber over the internal candidates.  I offered a speculative answer based on comments he has made before in answer to a couple of questions...one in particular that stood out was in answer to the question as to what would Mike have had to do to keep his job and HYs answer was something to the effect of producing a plan on how to he planned to get the program where it needed to be. 

So, yes, speculation, but educated guess based on comments made by HY in past.

mhsbc59

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2019, 07:53:25 am »

In any event very few people watch college gymnastics. That is why she is being paid less than even assistant ladies basketball coaches, let alone assistants for men's high profile sports.  And, at her salary, you cannot hire extremely talented older people with 20 years' experience.  You can hire older people with 1 year's experience 20 times. Therefore, an extremely talented young coach  is probably better than an average older coach.

I shouldn't have to tell you that the wrong coaching hire can implode a program.  I don't think its ever a good idea to turn keys over to unproven commodities no matter how well spoken.  Arkansas Gymnastics program is a very good product. Its a top 20 program closer to top 15.  To go from nothing when the Cooks took over literally to were they are now is disrespectful.   To just hand to job over to a 23 year old volunteer,  no matter who good she was a gymnast, has no baring on how good a coach she will be. How many times have the great athletes also made great coaches?  Not near as many.  To me it looks that she took the job to be closer to her boyfriend at a competing school.  And that HY to your point made a great splash hire because as you say no one cares about gymnastics but this will get Arkansas name in print a little for a day or to. 

logic

« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2019, 08:24:58 am »

I shouldn't have to tell you that the wrong coaching hire can implode a program.  I don't think its ever a good idea to turn keys over to unproven commodities no matter how well spoken.  Arkansas Gymnastics program is a very good product. Its a top 20 program closer to top 15.  To go from nothing when the Cooks took over literally to were they are now is disrespectful.   To just hand to job over to a 23 year old volunteer,  no matter who good she was a gymnast, has no baring on how good a coach she will be. How many times have the great athletes also made great coaches?  Not near as many.  To me it looks that she took the job to be closer to her boyfriend at a competing school.  And that HY to your point made a great splash hire because as you say no one cares about gymnastics but this will get Arkansas name in print a little for a day or to. 
Success is more about recruiting than coaching.  If she can recruit well, she will do well and she does have the recognition  that should aid recruiting.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2019, 08:29:17 am »

Just so everyone knows and LadybackBBFan does not get blamed I deleted the irrelevant posts in this thread. This is about the new coach and the gymnastics team. I left all posts regarding questioning the hire. Those are fair game. Anything about sexual abuse allegations are not. This is also not a Nassar thread. Start a new thread on that topic if you desire but I'll get an Admin to check it out and make sure it is within the rules. Please note that no one was reported for discipline although they probably could have been. Also remember that personal attacks are not allowed on Hogville and those were also present in a couple of the deleted posts. If you feel strongly about that someone's post violates the forum rules, please contact a Mod or Admin and report the post. I assure you I get several reports everyday.

mhsbc59

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2019, 08:43:17 am »

Success is more about recruiting than coaching.  If she can recruit well, she will do well and she does have the recognition  that should aid recruiting.

Its both, always has been.  The spots world is littered on both sides of great recruiters who never won and great coaches who did the same.  Its more the head coach's job to over see recruiting but its the assistants that handle to bulk of it.  Being the head person in charge has so little to do with coaching.  Its setting the example being the face handling internal issues.  Working the media and protecting your players and getting them to focus on the goal.  Most 23 years old no matter how accomplished are not ready to step on this big a stage.  And don't tell me she is prepared because she has been on the stage since 2012.  Its far different from being the athlete than being the one the athlete look to.  She has never had to answer to others about getting others to preform.  People are far more forgiving of the athlete that they are the coach.  In that respect she has never had to deal with failure so one knows what she will do when that happens because it is going to.  She has never had the media, parents and fans at some point turn on her for her choices.  As a coach everyone is going to second guess you how does she deal with that.  ALL these things will happen here at some point how will she respond?

Rocket23

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2019, 11:35:57 am »

When they competed for the Bruins for the first time together in 2017, Madison Kocian and Kyla Ross made history as the first U.S. Olympic gymnastics gold medalists ever to compete in the NCAA. Kocian, who shared the world title on uneven bars in 2015 and won Olympic silver on the event in Rio in 2016 in addition to gold with the team, has contributed enormously to Bruins success during the past two years. Her near-perfect 9.9325 on bars after a disastrous beginning to the Super Six at the 2018 NCAA Championships sparked a resurgence that ended with the Bruins holding their seventh NCAA team title.

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2019/January/09/These-17-Former-Elite-Gymnasts-Are-Now-Starring-In-The-NCAA

A good story on current topic on elite gymnasts and competing in NCAAs.

Stu

• Varsity
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2019, 08:36:08 am »

Its both, always has been.  The spots world is littered on both sides of great recruiters who never won and great coaches who did the same.  Its more the head coach's job to over see recruiting but its the assistants that handle to bulk of it.  Being the head person in charge has so little to do with coaching.  Its setting the example being the face handling internal issues.  Working the media and protecting your players and getting them to focus on the goal.  Most 23 years old no matter how accomplished are not ready to step on this big a stage.  And don't tell me she is prepared because she has been on the stage since 2012.  Its far different from being the athlete than being the one the athlete look to.  She has never had to answer to others about getting others to preform.  People are far more forgiving of the athlete that they are the coach.  In that respect she has never had to deal with failure so one knows what she will do when that happens because it is going to.  She has never had the media, parents and fans at some point turn on her for her choices.  As a coach everyone is going to second guess you how does she deal with that.  ALL these things will happen here at some point how will she respond?
We donít know until it happens, but then we wouldnít know what any of the other internal assistant coaches would say or do either. 

There is the reference that we are a top 20 team, maybe top 15.  But unlike basketball where there are over 300 collegiate teams, thereís only about 60 collegiate teams in gymnastics.  So I donít know that being barely in the top third of all programs is really something to brag about, per se.

The retiring UCLA gymnastics coach Val Field(?) is convinced that Weiber is going to be a great coach.  Iíll take her expertise on this and run with it.  This is different from asking an in-conference active coach on their thoughts on who we should hire (a la Susie Gardner) - they had a dog in that fight, Coach Field does not have one here. 

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2019, 10:23:50 am »

It may be misplaced, but I'm confident in CJW. She has the TOOLS to be a successful coach.

Remember, she may be 23 but she's been doing this since she was 8. That's 15 years. In a high stress environment. 

mhsbc59

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2019, 10:33:19 am »

We donít know until it happens, but then we wouldnít know what any of the other internal assistant coaches would say or do either. 

There is the reference that we are a top 20 team, maybe top 15.  But unlike basketball where there are over 300 collegiate teams, thereís only about 60 collegiate teams in gymnastics.  So I donít know that being barely in the top third of all programs is really something to brag about, per se.

The retiring UCLA gymnastics coach Val Field(?) is convinced that Weiber is going to be a great coach.  Iíll take her expertise on this and run with it.  This is different from asking an in-conference active coach on their thoughts on who we should hire (a la Susie Gardner) - they had a dog in that fight, Coach Field does not have one here. 

What coach is not going to go to bat for there assistants?  Now what would have been really big of UCLA retiring coach would have been for her to recommend Jordan to take over for her if she is truly as big as some of y'all think.  You cant convince me that the only reason HY made this hire was to get a few headlines in a sport not that hardly anyone really cares about.   This can go no wrong from a PR stand point.  Now let me ask you.  If you think the other National Championship caliber teams really fear a 23 year old volunteer assistant in the most competitive gymnastics conference in America.

HenduHog

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2019, 12:16:50 pm »

She volunteered because she is well off. She couldn't compete on a college level because she went pro for a bit.  With that and the endorsement money from 2012 she didn't need money from UCLA.  Prolly could have worked for us for free, but who would do that? Not as a head coach.

Some sites (totally unreliable) say her net worth is 3Mil. She did sign a deal with Adidas Gymnastics when she was doing Artistic Gymnastics(pro gym), so 3Mil isn't out of the realm of possibility.

mhsbc59

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2019, 01:08:15 pm »

She volunteered because she is well off. She couldn't compete on a college level because she went pro for a bit.  With that and the endorsement money from 2012 she didn't need money from UCLA.  Prolly could have worked for us for free, but who would do that? Not as a head coach.

Some sites (totally unreliable) say her net worth is 3Mil. She did sign a deal with Adidas Gymnastics when she was doing Artistic Gymnastics(pro gym), so 3Mil isn't out of the realm of possibility.

An how does her net worth have any baring on how good she can coach?!

Also who can name any athlete that was a super star at the sport come back and also be a great coach.  The only one i can think of is the old Iowa St wrestling coach who was a great wrestler in his own right be even he did not become a head coach so soon.

Stu

• Varsity
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2019, 01:47:24 pm »

What coach is not going to go to bat for there assistants?  Now what would have been really big of UCLA retiring coach would have been for her to recommend Jordan to take over for her if she is truly as big as some of y'all think.  You cant convince me that the only reason HY made this hire was to get a few headlines in a sport not that hardly anyone really cares about.   This can go no wrong from a PR stand point.  Now let me ask you.  If you think the other National Championship caliber teams really fear a 23 year old volunteer assistant in the most competitive gymnastics conference in America.
Obviously there will be no convincing you of anything as you seem to be totally convinced that this was a sham hire.   Weíll just have to see how this plays out. 

As for young coaches that proved to be worth their salt as coaches, I still point to DeBryn and McDonnell as proof that has been done before here at Arkansas and that it is possible that it can happen again. 

Idk if this hire is going to work or not, but the hire has happened, Iím going to root for the coach to do well, and Iím sorry that you got your feelings hurt that HY didnít hire whomever you thought he should have hired. 

Personally I think you are not willing to listen to reason and are just bent on trashing the hire no matter what.  I wish you joy and happiness, but apparently you will not be able to find it with this hire. 

In the immortal words of Buzz Lightyear, ďYou are a sad, strange little man. You have my pity.Ē

mhsbc59

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2019, 02:01:24 pm »

Obviously there will be no convincing you of anything as you seem to be totally convinced that this was a sham hire.   Weíll just have to see how this plays out. 

As for young coaches that proved to be worth their salt as coaches, I still point to DeBryn and McDonnell as proof that has been done before here at Arkansas and that it is possible that it can happen again. 

Idk if this hire is going to work or not, but the hire has happened, Iím going to root for the coach to do well, and Iím sorry that you got your feelings hurt that HY didnít hire whomever you thought he should have hired. 

Personally I think you are not willing to listen to reason and are just bent on trashing the hire no matter what.  I wish you joy and happiness, but apparently you will not be able to find it with this hire. 

In the immortal words of Buzz Lightyear, ďYou are a sad, strange little man. You have my pity.Ē

Not looking for pity just have a different level of expectation is all. 

Im not saying she cant get it done i just think HY put no value in the gymnastics program and with this hire he is put all the money on one spin of a roulette wheel.   As to you point of Norm and McDonnell.  When those coach's where hired Arkansas had not tradition or history in those sports.  So it was no loss in taking anyone that wanted the job.  WE HAVE AN ALREADY BUILT GYMNASTICS PROGRAM!  Why take the risk in trashing it with an unproven hire from the outside.   Someone that as you say is already a millionaire and a legend so what do they really have to do here to build on that?

Now I could be wrong and she could be the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel but the juice is not worth the squeeze in this case.

HenduHog

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2019, 02:38:05 pm »

An how does her net worth have any baring on how good she can coach?!

Also who can name any athlete that was a super star at the sport come back and also be a great coach.  The only one i can think of is the old Iowa St wrestling coach who was a great wrestler in his own right be even he did not become a head coach so soon.

Nothing. My point is that some you make a big deal about her being a "volunteer" coach. I'm sure if it were within the rules she would/could have been paid. If they had the allowable number of coaches, then why would you not want a Olympic Gold Winner volunteer on your staff? 

HenduHog

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2019, 02:40:41 pm »

Not looking for pity just have a different level of expectation is all. 

Im not saying she cant get it done i just think HY put no value in the gymnastics program and with this hire he is put all the money on one spin of a roulette wheel.   As to you point of Norm and McDonnell.  When those coach's where hired Arkansas had not tradition or history in those sports.  So it was no loss in taking anyone that wanted the job.  WE HAVE AN ALREADY BUILT GYMNASTICS PROGRAM!  Why take the risk in trashing it with an unproven hire from the outside.   Someone that as you say is already a millionaire and a legend so what do they really have to do here to build on that?

Now I could be wrong and she could be the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel but the juice is not worth the squeeze in this case.

I suppose we will find out, won't we?  If she bombs I'll eat crow.   BUT

If she has success, will you?

mhsbc59

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2019, 03:17:21 pm »

I suppose we will find out, won't we?  If she bombs I'll eat crow.   BUT

If she has success, will you?
Yes I will we can put a pin in it until then

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2019, 10:52:54 am »

Yes I will we can put a pin in it until then
  Yes, let's do that.  Give her a shot and then we can all say I told you so which ever side is right.

Boarcephus

• Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2019, 04:27:46 pm »

She is an Arthur Ashe Courage Award Winner as well as a Gold Medalist to boot.

I just finished watching the documentary "At the Heart of Gold: Inside the USA Gymnastics Scandal" and she won the award for being one of the gymnasts who was sexually abused and  came forward during the Larry Nassar trial to testify against him at his trial.  They showed her speaking at his trial and is very impressive.  Pulling even harder for her to be a success here after watching that. 

OneTuskOverTheLineô

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2019, 01:43:19 pm »

History show this has a far higher bust them boom factor with this have higher

Apples to Oranges. Not as much strategy in Gymnastics as in other team sports. Train you studs, keep their minds clean and help them shine... More like Golf than Basketball.

ladybackfan

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2019, 07:38:04 pm »

VERY FEW watch Gymnastics. 😂😂
Have you ever been to one of the gymnastic meets? 

Stu

• Varsity
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2019, 10:14:33 pm »

VERY FEW watch Gymnastics. 😂😂
Have you ever been to one of the gymnastic meets?
I didnít catch that when reading the first time.  While readily admitting that crowd size is not to the level of menís baseball, there is quite a sizable crowd at each of the meets Iíve been to. 

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2019, 08:05:37 am »

They do get a large crowd  - 3000+ which is better than any other women's teams.  Top teams in the SEC get 10,000+. 

logic

« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2019, 01:07:39 pm »

They do get a large crowd  - 3000+ which is better than any other women's teams.  Top teams in the SEC get 10,000+. 
If that is true, I was certainly wrong in thinking that not many people watch ladies gymnastics.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2019, 01:29:14 pm »

I see that she has hired her boyfriend as an assistant coach.
Quote: "...will be a wonderful addition to our staff"

You gotta laugh. Hey, I know NOTHING about this guy and he may be the greatest hire ever.
It's just funny that the 23-year old coach hired her boyfriend to be on her staff.
That's actually violating my rule: Never date a co-worker
This is just bad optics and a good chuckle, but hopefully that's all it is.

The couple said they reported their relationship to the UA before he was hired.
He will report to an athletic dept administrator rather to the head coach, per University policy on favoritism/nepotism.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2019, 02:40:10 pm »

I see that she has hired her boyfriend as an assistant coach.
Quote: "...will be a wonderful addition to our staff"

You gotta laugh. Hey, I know NOTHING about this guy and he may be the greatest hire ever.
It's just funny that the 23-year old coach hired her boyfriend to be on her staff.
That's actually violating my rule: Never date a co-worker
This is just bad optics and a good chuckle, but hopefully that's all it is.

The couple said they reported their relationship to the UA before he was hired.
He will report to an athletic dept administrator rather to the head coach, per University policy on favoritism/nepotism.

You sure do not know much about women's sports coaches.  The first Arkansas gymnastics head co-coaches were husband and wife.  Women's basketball coaches at Tennessee & Alabama have the woman as head coach and their husband as one of their assistants.  When Tom Collen was the head coach here, his wife Niki was an assistant.  I see no difference in this arrangement.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2019, 03:44:38 pm »

You sure do not know much about women's sports coaches.  The first Arkansas gymnastics head co-coaches were husband and wife.  Women's basketball coaches at Tennessee & Alabama have the woman as head coach and their husband as one of their assistants.  When Tom Collen was the head coach here, his wife Niki was an assistant.  I see no difference in this arrangement.
Those are husband/wife.
This is girlfriend/boyfriend. And she's 23 and he's 20-something.
I see a difference there.

But that wasn't even my point.
I just thought it was funny and it looks odd whether it actually will be or not.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2019, 04:07:02 pm »

Niki worked for Tom before they were married.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2019, 04:12:05 pm »

If that is true, I was certainly wrong in thinking that not many people watch ladies gymnastics.
Please look at the following article for attendance in the SEC for women's sports.
https://rolltide.com/news/2016/5/6/Alabama_Gymnastics_Among_Women_s_Attendance_Leaders_Again.aspx
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas