• 10,953,391 Posts
• 425,655 Topics
• 24,869 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mike Anderson--merged  (Read 37381 times)

FineAsSwine

Re: Mike Anderson--merged
« Reply #850 on: May 26, 2020, 09:11:20 am »

Hopefully Mike has a few guys develop. Their roster for next year is very underwhelming, IMO. However, a few teams in the conference are going to take a significant step back.

They actually had a pretty good team coming back regardless of Figueroa's decision. His return would have been the cherry on top.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #851 on: May 26, 2020, 09:17:00 am »

If Anderson becomes known for player development at St. John's it will be proof that old coaches can continue to learn new things and improve their craft.  Time will tell.

Actually, CMA is already known for player development at St. John's for the impressive improvement shown by little-used role players he inherited from the previous staff.

Earlington, Williams, Roberts and Caraher all improved greatly under CMA's coaching last season. Plus, CMA took Champagnie, a low ranked three-star and made him a player who made the All Big East Freshman team and was also named Metro Area Rookie of the Year.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jbcarol

« Reply #852 on: June 01, 2020, 08:16:34 am »

...if Mike Anderson’s history is any indication, it shows that the totality of his pieces always usurps one individual talent.

Anderson has never had a losing season in 18 years as a head coach and has only had five players — DeMarre Carroll (Missouri), Kim English (Missouri), Marcus Denmon (Missouri), Bobby Portis (Arkansas), and Daniel Gafford (Arkansas) — drafted during that time.

What does that mean?

Elite conditioning, quality depth, and the discipline needed to sustain a frenetic pace for 40 minutes have all been major factors in his ability to take UAB, Missouri, and Arkansas to the NCAA Tournament.

The same thing is what’s going to have to happen at St. John’s.

The overall effectiveness of the Red Storm’s rotation as a collective unit is ultimately what’s going to determine if Anderson can make this program one that can consistently be one that finishes in the top five of the Big East.

That doesn’t mean that players won’t potentially develop into all-league players.

It doesn’t mean that versatile forward Julian Champagnie — who averaged 9.9 points and 6.5 rebounds last season as a freshman — doesn’t have a chance to become an All-Big East player as a sophomore.

But it does mean that history has proven that Anderson’s system and style of play is what has ultimately allowed him to not finish below .500 in 18 years as a head coach.

Deeply entrenched confidants in Jamaica quietly feel confident about the Red Storm’s incoming recruiting class for next season which features several players — Vince Cole (JUCO), Posh Alexander, Dylan Wusu, Isaih Moore (JUCO) and GW grad transfer Arnaldo Toro — that should add depth to St. John’s pressing attack.

With Figueroa and Mustapha Heron now both gone, St. John’s will enter Year Two under Anderson with only one double-figure scorer (Rasheem Dunn) returning from last year’s team that won 17 games.

Will the new additions be enough to offset Figueroa’s departure and put the Red Storm into the NCAA Tournament picture in 2021?

That’s to be determined, but the philosophy is simple: next man up.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #853 on: June 01, 2020, 11:19:49 am »

The quote accompanying this picture doesn't mention only making it to the dance in half of those 18 years.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #854 on: June 01, 2020, 12:03:16 pm »

The quote accompanying this picture doesn't mention only making it to the dance in half of those 18 years.

Mike Anderson is a program builder. Every team he took over had to be remade, rebuilt and reshaped. He will do the same at St. John's.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #855 on: June 01, 2020, 12:19:19 pm »

Mike Anderson is a program builder. Every team he took over had to be remade, rebuilt and reshaped. He will do the same at St. John's.

Agree he took over bad programs at the time and built them up. The problem is they were only built up to a certain level and never beyond. I've never said Mike was a bad coach. I've said he is average. That's the level he never has gone beyond. His best advancements were in years 2 and 3 respectively of two of his stops. Great guy, average coach. I honestly hope he can do better at St. John's because I like him.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 12:30:17 pm by Inhogswetrust »

FineAsSwine

« Reply #856 on: June 01, 2020, 12:28:29 pm »

Most Arkansas Home Wins

Four Arkansas head coaches have won more than 100 home games during their tenure.

Nolan Richardson 201-37

Glen Rose 178-57

*Mike Anderson 122-23

Eddie Sutton 120-8

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #857 on: June 01, 2020, 12:39:48 pm »

Most Arkansas Home Wins

Four Arkansas head coaches have won more than 100 home games during their tenure.

Nolan Richardson 201-37

Glen Rose 178-57

*Mike Anderson 122-23

Eddie Sutton 120-8

It's not just home games that matter. It's overall, conference finishes, dance invites and dance advances.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #858 on: June 01, 2020, 12:46:21 pm »

It's not just home games that matter. It's overall, conference finishes, dance invites and dance advances.

This was not a response to your post. Just something I read on WholeHog Sports and found interesting.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #859 on: June 01, 2020, 01:05:03 pm »

This was not a response to your post. Just something I read on WholeHog Sports and found interesting.

Ok sorry. Carry on.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #860 on: June 01, 2020, 01:16:41 pm »

Ok sorry. Carry on.

No Harm, no foul.   ;D

ATU HOG

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #861 on: June 01, 2020, 09:42:03 pm »

In my opinion, Anderson does better when he has less talent than when has more. Now I use that talent word in discussing NBA talent.

When he has guys that are good facilitators, and know their role he tends to be pretty good. Now I don’t think with his style, he can consistently make deep runs into the NCAA tournament, but I do think when he is undervalued he will upset higher ranked teams.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #862 on: June 09, 2020, 12:35:28 pm »

Frank Kepnang is the #21 ranked prospect in the 2021 class but is considering reclassifying to 2020. Would be a great pickup for Mike Anderson and the highest-ranked commit in program history (since rankings began).

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/06/08/class-of-2021-big-man-franck-kepnang-highly-considering-reclassifying-has-great-zoom-call-with-st-johns/

Kepnang is currently the No. 6 center in 2021, per the 247Sports.com composite rankings.

Kepnang currently holds offers from Kansas, Maryland, Georgetown, UConn, St. John’s, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Fordham, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, Saint Louis, Stanford, Syracuse, Texas A&M, UCLA, Vanderbilt and Wake Forest, among others.

He has recently had Zoom calls with St. John’s, Ohio State, Pittsburgh and Miami, among others.

Carter said the St. John’s call went “great.”

“St Johns virtual went great!” he said. “They have a veteran staff who’s committed to revitalizing Red Storm basketball. Franck would benefit well within their style of play. They don’t have the issue of being overshadowed by big-time football programs. When St. John’s is playing well the entire city is tuned in.

“Many NBA players and coaches have been quoted saying there’s no place like MSG and to be able to call that place a part-time home is huge! They were sure to highlight that in the presentation. Marketing in the greatest city in the world could be hard to pass up.”

As for what he’s looking for in a school, Kepnang told ZAGSBLOG: “I would say how they play their bigs. I want to see how a school plays through their bigs and how much they allow their bigs to do.”

“With the new style of basketball, do they let their bigs shoot? That’s important to me because I’ve been working a lot on my shooting and getting pretty good at it.”

Kepnang has a tremendous ability to run the floor, is an elite rim defender and continues to expand his offensive arsenal. “I play hard every single possession and I protect the rim,” Kepnang said.

“Even if I’m not on the court, I’m supporting my teammates. I try to communicate with them as much as I can and I just play hard. When I get a pass and hit the rim, I finish it.”

FineAsSwine

« Reply #863 on: June 09, 2020, 12:43:11 pm »

Another, too early, Big East prediction. Surprisingly, no one is counting out St. John's even after the Figueroa defection. People seem to be impressed with what CMA is building. 2020 will be very interesting for the Red Storm.

https://heatcheckcbb.com/2020/06/08/big-east-rankings-villanova-creighton-a-tier-above/

6. St. John’s Red Storm (2019-20 Finish: 8th | 17-15, 5-13 BE)

I might be a bit high on St. John’s with this No. 6 placement. After all, the Red Storm have struggled to live up to expectations in just about every season in recent memory. Even during this past season, SJU played excellent basketball in non-conference play only to stumble to a 5-13 conference record. Yet, I have high hopes for Year 2 under head coach Mike Anderson, who I believe has the program trending in the right direction.

While likely losing LJ Figueroa is a big blow, the Red Storm have a few solid returners and arguably the most underrated group of newcomers in the country. Leading the way for this group should be rising sophomore Julian Champagnie. The 6-foot-7 forward ended last season on a tear while averaging 14.1 points and 7.3 rebounds per game over SJU’s last eight games. Double-digit scorer Rasheem Dunn (11.9p/3.8r/3.4a) will also be returning as a steady contributor for the backcourt.

These two will be leading the way but SJU’s rising junior class is worth mentioning as well. Greg Williams Jr., Marcellus Earlington, and Josh Roberts (among others) headline this group as returners but Coach Anderson also has a pair of JUCO transfers joining the mix. Vince Cole should add vital 3-point shooting to the wing with his 6-foot-5 frame and sniper abilities while Isaih Moore could be a solid back-up presence inside.

Furthermore, incoming freshmen Posh Alexander and Dylan Wusu might not be highly-rated but seem to embody exactly what Coach Anderson is looking to build. They represent a duo that should develop together quite well for the future in Queens.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #864 on: June 09, 2020, 12:48:12 pm »

More Frank Kepnang...

https://stormthepaint.com/2020/06/08/st-johns-basketball-creates-important-positioning-franck-kepnang/

The Johnnies and Kepnang completed a virtual visit on Sunday, the third time the two sides have had documented contact in the 2020 calendar year.

Kepnang, a 6-foot-11 center originally from Cameroon, took an unofficial visit to St. John’s in February when the Red Storm were playing at Madison Square Garden and prior to Sunday’s connection, Mike Anderson and his staff also met with the center about three weeks ago via a Zoom video chat.

Franck Kepnang’s guardian, Mark Carter, told Jason Jordan of Sports Illustrated that the meeting “went well” and that “St. John’s was well versed, super informative, and have a plan for Franck to pursue his goals off and on the court. There’s no bigger stage than the Mecca of Basketball.”

Although it looks like St. John’s might be the early favorite to land the Westtown High School (PA) star, Kepnang also holds offers from Kansas, Maryland, Georgetown, Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and UCLA.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #865 on: June 14, 2020, 11:11:43 am »

Mike Anderson is banking on his ability to develop players. Sees the glass as half full after Figueroa's departure...

https://nypost.com/2020/06/11/st-johns-mike-anderson-upbeat-despite-stars-likely-transfer/

Anderson touched on a bunch of players. He believes rising senior guard Rasheem Dunn will be much improved after adjusting to play in the Big East. He praised the development and progress made by sophomore Josh Roberts, Greg Williams Jr. and Marcellus Earlington, and expects All-Big East freshman team selection Julian Champagnie to continue his upward trajectory.

“I want to see some guys continue to emerge,” he said.

As for the newcomers, junior college All-American Vince Cole has been projected by many to fill Figueroa’s spot on the wing, after averaging 21.4 points and shooting 44.6 from 3-point range, though Anderson said there could be an adjustment period for the 6-foot-5 guard as he moves into a higher level of basketball. He also believes incoming recruits Isaih Moore, Posh Alexander and Dylan Wusu can all contribute. One intriguing newcomer is George Washington graduate transfer Arnaldo Toro, a 6-foot-8 forward with the ability to score in the post, something St. John’s lacked a year ago.

“He’s experienced. He’s a man, he’s not a little boy,” Anderson said. “That’s a welcome piece to this basketball team.”

FineAsSwine

« Reply #867 on: July 20, 2020, 10:21:23 am »

Get ready for Big Nasty part deux! Creed Williamson getting interest from the Red Storm.

https://stormthepaint.com/2020/07/19/mike-anderson-st-johns-basketball-show-interest-arkansas-native/

No official offer has been made from Mike Anderson and his coaching staff, but it is definitely something to monitor going forward.

The 6-foot-8 forward stars at Little Rock Christian Academy and plays for the Joe Johnson Hawks on the AAU circuit.

Williamson also has been working out with his younger brother, Corliss Williamson Jr., a member of the Class of 2024.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #868 on: July 21, 2020, 04:29:05 pm »

Got worried, thought it was odd to see this thread pop back up, was afraid Mike had Covid. Thanks goodness nothing like that.

jbcarol

« Reply #869 on: July 24, 2020, 12:23:09 pm »

Zach Braziller@NYPost_Brazille

Jordan Riley has committed to Georgetown. Bad loss for St. John's. Told he had decided on Sunday. #sjubb
10:01 AM · Jul 24, 2020·

FineAsSwine

« Reply #870 on: July 24, 2020, 02:47:50 pm »

Zach Braziller@NYPost_Brazille

Jordan Riley has committed to Georgetown. Bad loss for St. John's. Told he had decided on Sunday. #sjubb
10:01 AM · Jul 24, 2020·

Real tough miss. Jordan was a prospect that many experts considered to be under-ranked and most crystal balls had him going to St. John's but Georgetown made a late push. The Hoyas can offer immediate playing time and probably a starting job bc they are talent poor right now. A great opportunity for Riley to step in right away but a big loss for Mike Anderson and the Johnnies.

TrueBlue

• All-American Hogvillian
  • West Palm Beach baby!
« Reply #871 on: July 24, 2020, 10:09:47 pm »

Get ready for Big Nasty part deux! Creed Williamson getting interest from the Red Storm.

https://stormthepaint.com/2020/07/19/mike-anderson-st-johns-basketball-show-interest-arkansas-native/

No official offer has been made from Mike Anderson and his coaching staff, but it is definitely something to monitor going forward.

The 6-foot-8 forward stars at Little Rock Christian Academy and plays for the Joe Johnson Hawks on the AAU circuit.

Williamson also has been working out with his younger brother, Corliss Williamson Jr., a member of the Class of 2024.

Strange the excitement you show for St. John’s on a player that has Arkansas ties and that Arkansas is actively recruiting.

And no, Mike Anderson had nothing to do with the original Big Nasty on being great.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #872 on: July 25, 2020, 05:55:44 am »

Strange the excitement you show for St. John’s on a player that has Arkansas ties and that Arkansas is actively recruiting.

And no, Mike Anderson had nothing to do with the original Big Nasty on being great.

Just putting it out there in case anyone didn’t see it.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #873 on: August 03, 2020, 12:43:17 pm »

Iron Mike still staying true to his core principles. 9 Johnnies make the All Big East Academic Team.

https://redstormsports.com/news/2020/8/3/womens-volleyball-230-st-johns-student-athletes-named-to-big-east-all-academic-team.aspx

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #874 on: August 03, 2020, 09:06:33 pm »

Iron Mike still staying true to his core principles. 9 Johnnies make the All Big East Academic Team.

https://redstormsports.com/news/2020/8/3/womens-volleyball-230-st-johns-student-athletes-named-to-big-east-all-academic-team.aspx

I always commended Mike on his emphasis to his players concerning academics.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas