• 10,569,543 Posts
• 416,066 Topics
• 23,902 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Mike Anderson to St. John's  (Read 7202 times)

FineAsSwine

Re: Mike Anderson to St. John's
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2019, 05:26:11 pm »

the i know you are but what am i defense.    flawless.

don't like?  you're right.  try ADORE.   i'm paying homage to your work.

Thanx. The hours are great but the pay sucks.  ;)

VanBurenCHog

« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2019, 04:13:40 pm »

St. Johnís fans falling in a trap?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2019, 07:08:12 pm »

St. Johnís fans falling in a trap?

Miracle worker? Now that's the funniest thing I've read in a long time!

VanBurenCHog

« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2019, 12:06:07 am »

Miracle worker? Now that's the funniest thing I've read in a long time!
Eh itís just because he has done everything right since he got there, finally has great assistants, got two of the best players in the country to stay in Heron and Figueroa. already got a 4 Star for 2020 and more on the way, and St. Johnís was dead last in acedemic performance for athletes, and it will be raised to the top while Mikeís there, really really good start for Mike but not sure if he can keep it up.

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2019, 12:48:47 pm »

I just stumbled on this thread last night. I don't look at the General Sports forum too much.

I have said for the last few years or so I wished there was a thread/forum for Arkansas basketball and a thread/forum for lovin' on Mike/Nolan.

There is some overlap, yes. But also some collision.

So now it seems we have that separation.

Progress made.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2019, 05:03:20 pm »

2020 Josh Gray made an unofficial visit to St Johns this week. A 7-0 tall center with an impressive 7' 6" wingspan, he would be an outstanding pick up for Mike Anderson.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2019, 05:07:14 pm »

2020 6' 10" center Cliff Omoruyi big man lined up for an unofficial next week. CMA gunning for big game.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2019, 05:09:37 pm »

The four year roster template

Pat Goss

• All-American Hogvillian
  • You may still get the chance to vote against HRC
« Reply #158 on: August 29, 2019, 09:32:02 pm »

so what you are saying is it is too bad he sucked here, aight?

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #159 on: August 29, 2019, 10:16:37 pm »

I expect MA to do well at St John's. He's done well everywhere he's been, including here.

The main reason I wasn't excited about MA to Arkansas is that we had been to the top of the mountain in college hoops so that's really all I'm interested in...getting back there. I didn't see MA as being the guy to restore Arkansas basketball to that level. And he didn't, so I was right. Didn't even get past the second round. He's good but not that good.

But he did a good job here and will do well up there.

Will Muss be that guy? My gut says he's not that elite either. But he'll get his chance to show what he can do in the next 5 years. We'll find out. If he doesn't get past the second round by then, maybe time to try someone else.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2019, 07:37:42 am »

Eh itís just because he has done everything right since he got there, finally has great assistants, got two of the best players in the country to stay in Heron and Figueroa. already got a 4 Star for 2020 and more on the way, and St. Johnís was dead last in acedemic performance for athletes, and it will be raised to the top while Mikeís there, really really good start for Mike but not sure if he can keep it up.

Things are really looking great for the Red Storm. They made a great hire. Mike Anderson will have his greatest success in his career on the biggest stage. The Big Apple is where the Fastest 40 will get CMA  a roster stocked from top to bottom and take flight. Nolan will be proud.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2019, 11:42:00 am »

so what you are saying is it is too bad he sucked here, aight?

He didn't suck here. Far from it actually but just wasn't enough to restore us to the glory days. Razorback fans just need to come to grips with the fact that we will never surpass the heights that Nolan took us to unless they think we can get another coach who can take us to back to back title games.

In your case, it seems like you are upset that CMA landed on his feet. That is the very definition of a "hater".

FineAsSwine

« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2019, 12:54:04 pm »

High school junior foregoes senior year of high school to go pro overseas, AYSM? Crazy what coaches have to deal with in recruiting nowadays.

https://tworivertimes.com/ranneys-wheeler-leaves-high-school-for-pro-basketball-in-italy/

As a junior, Phillip Wheeler was a high flying scorer for Ranneyís first ever Tournament of Champions title. But he wonít be back for his senior season at the Tinton Falls school.

In a shocking move, Wheeler is leaving high school basketball to begin a professional basketball career in Italy.

After signing with an agent the 6-foot-7 forward will be part of the Stellazzura Basketball Academy. Wheeler will compete across Europe in tournaments in Greece, France, Spain, Austria, Lithuania and Serbia. The academy boasts developing over 50 professional basketball players, most notably Andrea Bargnani, the No. 1 pick in the 2006 NBA Draft by the Toronto Raptors. The 17-year-old will begin in the academy program but could earn a promotion to Stellazzurraís pro team which competes in Serie B in the Italian pro league.

Ham Bones Jones

« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2019, 07:00:50 pm »

or that NYC has great players and it's an easier sell to keep them home and Mike is an awesome person to sell that program to them especially after whitey mc dipsheet.   Mike's a great fit there - no way he's changed his tactics - veteran players find ways to dance with the date that brought them.   Horse found better course.   I hope he rocks the hell out.

don't get all miffed and think he loafed here - that dude ain't loafed a day in his life.  look at him.  give him some respect dammit.

how dare you talk about an NBA JAMS legend like that...

FineAsSwine

« Reply #164 on: September 02, 2019, 09:51:30 am »

Former 4* St Johns commit Nate Tabor may be back in the fold. Tabor decommited when Mullins was fired. This would be a great pickup for Mike Anderson's 2020 class.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #165 on: September 02, 2019, 09:53:12 am »

More Tabor.....

FineAsSwine

« Reply #166 on: September 04, 2019, 08:39:20 am »

"Prepare to win"..... Mike Anderson about to kickoff the conditioning program and get the Red Storm introduced to the Fastest 40.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1169024614481256449

FineAsSwine

« Reply #167 on: September 04, 2019, 10:44:08 am »

St Johns fans taking to CMA very quickly because he is grinding everyday. #NYstateofmind

FineAsSwine

« Reply #168 on: September 05, 2019, 09:34:40 pm »

This would be a huge get for Mike Anderson. This kid can play!

FineAsSwine

« Reply #169 on: September 05, 2019, 09:42:03 pm »

Some early tests against high profile opponents await CMA in his first season as coach of the Red Storm. Opportunities to make a big splash right off the bat.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #170 on: September 05, 2019, 09:48:13 pm »

Recruits love to play on the big stage and there is none bigger in basketball than the legendary Madison Square Garden arena. So many magic moments. Not a hard sell. Good move by the St John's AD.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #171 on: September 06, 2019, 02:11:23 pm »

Conditioning drills.... Time to get in shape for The Fastest 40!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1170041152579481600

https://twitter.com/i/status/1170001484840361984

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #172 on: September 06, 2019, 04:33:39 pm »

You are gohogs-Clemson/southern hills/uca obsessed. 

FineAsSwine

« Reply #173 on: September 06, 2019, 06:24:47 pm »

You are gohogs-Clemson/southern hills/uca obsessed.

That would be a high bar to hurdle to ever achieve a gohogs level obsession. Compared to him I'm just slightly interested. For real though, I'm just providing a service to those who have a passing interest in CMA's current activities.

The man is still a Hog at heart and I have great memories of him here so I find it a small thing to post a tidbit of interest here or there for those who are still "Friends of Mike" and with him well at St John's.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2019, 10:22:17 am »

Youth and inexperience can be detrimental to a teams performance, according to an article on this year's Razorback football team by Otis Kirk, Hogville's recruiting guy. The young talent needs time to develop is what his article suggests and no rational fan would disagree. Last year, CMA had the 2nd youngest D1 squad in the nation and had them on the cusp of an NCAA tourney bid before settling for an NIT invite.

CMA got fired by Arkansas after doing what I consider one of his best coaching jobs that year. Now, as Jay-Z says, it's "on to the next one". This time CMA has to breathe life into the Red Storm at St. John's. Mike still has the fire and I predict that within three years, CMA and 40 Minutes of Hell will be the talk of the Big East and NYC.

https://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=690559.0;topicseen

FineAsSwine

« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2019, 10:35:39 am »

Since St. John's is a Catholic school will the famous 40 Minutes of Hell grueling practices become 40 Minutes of Purgatory?

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #176 on: September 08, 2019, 10:34:53 am »

Youth and inexperience can be detrimental to a teams performance, according to an article on this year's Razorback football team by Otis Kirk, Hogville's recruiting guy. The young talent needs time to develop is what his article suggests and no rational fan would disagree. Last year, CMA had the 2nd youngest D1 squad in the nation and had them on the cusp of an NCAA tourney bid before settling for an NIT invite.

CMA got fired by Arkansas after doing what I consider one of his best coaching jobs that year. Now, as Jay-Z says, it's "on to the next one". This time CMA has to breathe life into the Red Storm at St. John's. Mike still has the fire and I predict that within three years, CMA and 40 Minutes of Hell will be the talk of the Big East and NYC.

https://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=690559.0;topicseen

Having the youngest team in D-1 is indicative of poor roster management for a coach in his 8th year, in my opinion.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #177 on: September 08, 2019, 03:43:36 pm »

Having the youngest team in D-1 is indicative of poor roster management for a coach in his 8th year, in my opinion.

You make a valid point however, there were several external factors that contributed to the roster makeup in that final CMA year as head Hog other than just roster management.

Be that as it may, it is now all water under the bridge and CMA is well on his way to establishing himself at St John's and building the Red Storm into a Big East bully. The Fastest 40 has found its most fertile footing in recruiting by landing in the NYC and because of that CMA is going to win more there than he has anywhere.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2019, 08:37:53 am »

You make a valid point however, there were several external factors that contributed to the roster makeup in that final CMA year as head Hog other than just roster management.

Be that as it may, it is now all water under the bridge and CMA is well on his way to establishing himself at St John's and building the Red Storm into a Big East bully. The Fastest 40 has found its most fertile footing in recruiting by landing in the NYC and because of that CMA is going to win more there than he has anywhere.

I think that's great.  Best for all involved.  It seems he has found his fire again. 

SWD26

• Senior
« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2019, 11:38:38 am »

Thanks for the updates. I too liked Mike Anderson as a coach and thought he should have gotten another year with the young team he recruited, it would have been nice to see what he would have done with them.

Anyway, I'm glad he got another job and hope he does well there: who knows, maybe Arkansas and St. Johns will meet in the Big Dance someday!

FineAsSwine

« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2019, 11:42:14 am »

I think that's great.  Best for all involved.  It seems he has found his fire again.

I agree wholeheartedly, except for the part about him finding his fire. The man gave the UA all he had and laid a great foundation for the future success of Hog basketball.

A forever Hog like Mike Anderson will always be remembered fondly by myself and some other Hog fans. He deserves all the success in life that he has attained and will attain in the future.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2019, 11:52:19 am »

I agree wholeheartedly, except for the part about him finding his fire. The man gave the UA all he had and laid a great foundation for the future success of Hog basketball.

A forever Hog like Mike Anderson will always be remembered fondly by myself and some other Hog fans. He deserves all the success in life that he has attained and will attain in the future.

His fire for recruiting is what I meant. 

FineAsSwine

« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2019, 11:54:51 am »

In my view, a significant part of CMA's demise here was that Yuracheck wanted to make his mark on the program now that it was in great shape. There is hardly any downside risk because he got a good coach to replace Mike with and when we win under Muss (which we will) then Yuracheck can take credit for moving the program forward. So odd that he claimed that his main reason for firing CMA was CMA's "lack of vision" for the program. That was BS.

CMA's "vision" is one of the main things he is being lauded for in NY at St John's. All of a sudden he can "see" again? It's a miracle I tell ya!

Yuracheck speak with forked tongue.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2019, 11:56:46 am »

His fire for recruiting is what I meant.

He actually recruited quite well. We are stocked up on very good guards and we don't know if CMA would have brought in a big or not because he got the ax before he had the chance.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2019, 12:02:42 pm »

In my view, a significant part of CMA's demise here was that Yuracheck wanted to make his mark on the program now that it was in great shape. There is hardly any downside risk because he got a good coach to replace Mike with and when we win under Muss (which we will) then Yuracheck can take credit for moving the program forward. So odd that he claimed that his main reason for firing CMA was CMA's "lack of vision" for the program. That was BS.

CMA's "vision" is one of the main things he is being lauded for in NY at St John's. All of a sudden he can "see" again? It's a miracle I tell ya!

Yuracheck speak with forked tongue.
That's the biggest bunch of baloney in this whole thread.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2019, 01:20:13 pm »

That's the biggest bunch of baloney in this whole thread.

Well grab two slices of bread and make a chit sandwich because Yuracheck's stated reason for firing CMA was BS.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #186 on: September 09, 2019, 02:13:36 pm »

On the grind! CMA hot on the trail of talented ballers that fit The Fastest 40!

FineAsSwine

« Reply #187 on: September 09, 2019, 02:17:51 pm »

Kuminga or bust in 2021! The Red Storm is definitely in the hunt for this kid. Hope CMA can seal the deal. Would be the best signing of his career.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #188 on: September 09, 2019, 02:21:57 pm »

Jamir Watkins about to commit this week. Mike could pick up a good one. I like this kids game.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #189 on: September 09, 2019, 03:27:24 pm »

Well grab two slices of bread and make a chit sandwich because Yuracheck's stated reason for firing CMA was BS.
No it wasn't. Here's a shocker for you. Hunter actually played basketball. All you care about is he fired your love coach. That's why you keep harping on him. I like Mike fine. Never thought of him as a great coach. He's gone. Time to get over it. Do you post as  much on a St. John's site. That's where you should spread your love.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2019, 03:46:24 pm »

No it wasn't. Here's a shocker for you. Hunter actually played basketball.

Hunter playing basketball has no relationship or bearing on his BS reason for firing CMA. Hunter's ego played a part and he made a move that had little downside risk for him by replacing CMA while the team had a lot of young talent. That way, when the next competent coach comes along and succeeds (Muss), Hunter can pat himself on the back and be congratulated for "improving" the program when it was already on that trajectory anyway. He could have just told the truth and said that he wanted to get his own guy in here but that's not Hunter's way apparently.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2019, 03:50:56 pm »

All you care about is he fired your love coach. That's why you keep harping on him. I like Mike fine. Never thought of him as a great coach. He's gone. Time to get over it. Do you post as  much on a St. John's site. That's where you should spread your love.

I never post on St. John's sites. Yes, I like Mike Anderson. Always will. Nolan is a great coach. Mike is a good coach who may yet achieve greatness at St. John's. Yes, you are right, Mike is gone, the OP makes that clear.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2019, 05:12:35 pm »

Hunter playing basketball has no relationship or bearing on his BS reason for firing CMA. Hunter's ego played a part and he made a move that had little downside risk for him by replacing CMA while the team had a lot of young talent. That way, when the next competent coach comes along and succeeds (Muss), Hunter can pat himself on the back and be congratulated for "improving" the program when it was already on that trajectory anyway. He could have just told the truth and said that he wanted to get his own guy in here but that's not Hunter's way apparently.

I disagree.  It was time for a change for all those involved.  8 years of up and down is plenty of time.  Good luck to Mike in New York but it was time. 

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #193 on: September 10, 2019, 05:52:38 pm »

He actually recruited quite well. We are stocked up on very good guards and we don't know if CMA would have brought in a big or not because he got the ax before he had the chance.

Delusional right here

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2019, 09:39:53 pm »

Are you ever going to give it up?
You're totally leaving out the part that MA had an 8-year history here.
It was pretty good, actually. We can certainly do much worse.
But when you never make it past the second round, in eight years, it's very reasonable to want to give someone else a try.
No one else would even make it to the 8th year, so he was treated very fairly. Too fairly, probably.

Instead all you want to talk about is how 'young' they were, and the next guy is going to take all the credit if they do well.
Spin, spin, spin.

Why do you leave out the entirety of the eight years? That's what he was judged on.

We all love Mike and respect him. But it was time to see if someone else can do better.
You yourself said the other day he was successful, but not successful enough. Bingo.
So we agree.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2019, 09:47:10 pm »

Mike or Nolan (definitely) would have won us another national championship if they had the Triplets.

Also, numerous Sutton threads pop up on here every year including 2 or 3 last year. There will probably be 10-12 Sutton threads bubbling up as we approach the unveiling of Nolan Richardson Court in Bud Walton Arena this year with most of those threads started by some of the old guard grudgeholders and Nolan haters. So predictable.

Question: do you think Sutton's drug and alcohol abuse MAY have cost us a game here and there and maybe a loss in the final 4?
---> Mike or Nolan (definitely) would have won us another national championship if they had the Triplets. --->

This statement jumped out at me as well, after reading through this thread.
Again, your extreme bias is showing.

Let's see, last year Coach K had 3 of the top 5 players taken in the NBA Draft, including the generational talent Zion.
Duke didn't even make the Final 4.
No one disputes K's coaching credentials. He's won 5 national titles with numerous other Final 4s. He's a legend.
So if K can't win a national title with that lineup...why in the world would you assume it's a definite and a given that someone coulda/shoulda won a national title with the triplets?

The only thing nice I will say right now is you're still around. All the other Nolan/MA lackeys have disappeared, it seems(Let's Roll, FCJ, etc).

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2019, 09:18:40 am »

Bull. It means he knows something about basketball. He didn't get the  response he needed from a coach clearly on the hot seat. Hunter wanted more and he was right. Expectations were not being met for several years. Mike had extra years actually and it didn't happen. Hunter saw that and even then gave Mike a chance. It is Hunters JOB to try to improve all the programs when expectations aren't being met. He will fire Chad in due course when he feels that way and any other coach. It's called being the boss.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:33:51 am by Inhogswetrust »

FineAsSwine

« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2019, 02:44:32 pm »

---> Mike or Nolan (definitely) would have won us another national championship if they had the Triplets. --->

This statement jumped out at me as well, after reading through this thread.
Again, your extreme bias is showing.

Let's see, last year Coach K had 3 of the top 5 players taken in the NBA Draft, including the generational talent Zion.
Duke didn't even make the Final 4.
No one disputes K's coaching credentials. He's won 5 national titles with numerous other Final 4s. He's a legend.
So if K can't win a national title with that lineup...why in the world would you assume it's a definite and a given that someone coulda/shoulda won a national title with the triplets?

The only thing nice I will say right now is you're still around. All the other Nolan/MA lackeys have disappeared, it seems(Let's Roll, FCJ, etc).

So will you admit that Eddie Sutton's drinking and drugging at Arkansas might have cost us a game here or there, including in the Final Four as well? A clear-minded and sober coach might have gone all the way with the Triplets is all I'm saying.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2019, 02:52:30 pm »

Name-calling is against the rules on this board. Plus, it added nothing to your valid opinion(s) stated prior in your post (which I disagree with).

Now, tits up! You're better than that.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2019, 03:10:07 pm »

So will you admit that Eddie Sutton's drinking and drugging at Arkansas might have cost us a game here or there, including in the Final Four as well? A clear-minded and sober coach might have gone all the way with the Triplets is all I'm saying.

Once you get to about the elite eight anything can happen no matter who the coaches are involved. Quite a few teams didn't win it all that were thought to be better.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas