• 10,567,530 Posts
• 416,033 Topics
• 23,901 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Mike Anderson to St. John's  (Read 7151 times)

FineAsSwine

Re: Mike Anderson to St. John's
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2019, 03:10:11 pm »

Dunn in, Wright out. The college basketball revolving door continues to twirl.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2019, 09:57:32 am »

This is why more and more fans are staying home but I guess before raising prices the administrators did their "homework".

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

VanBurenCHog

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2019, 10:19:51 am »

Figure Gabe will end up at St. Johnís, that or he will end up at UAPB, which he is always there for some reason.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2019, 10:24:50 am »

Figure Gabe will end up at St. Johnís, that or he will end up at UAPB, which he is always there for some reason.

I'm not sure what Gabe's situation is but I have seen references to some sort of issue yesterday in Jump Ball. In any case, I don't see him at St. Johns due to the current roster make up. They need a big just like we do.

VanBurenCHog

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2019, 10:48:14 am »

I'm not sure what Gabe's situation is but I have seen references to some sort of issue yesterday in Jump Ball. In any case, I don't see him at St. Johns due to the current roster make up. They need a big just like we do.
He would be the second tallest player on their team behind Steere, and would probably be the best late big they can get at this time.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2019, 12:52:16 pm »

He would be the second tallest player on their team behind Steere, and would probably be the best late big they can get at this time.

I think Josh Roberts is another big on the roster if Iím not mistaken. I think he is 6í 10Ē.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Greatest warriors to ever tred planet Earth
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2019, 04:47:52 pm »

Still impressive though. Got the offer one day and was on campus the next. There is some interest there and great job by the staff to get him there so quickly after the offer. Looks like the kid was excited to get up there.
The problem that CMA is going to run into is like an average looking guy who (at 17 years of age and a brand new black corvette) the best looking girl in your high school is flirting with you to ride in that car or does she really like you. As it applies to CMA, does that superstar 5 star player really care about St. Johns program or is it the lure of the lights of NYC and visiting the most iconic city in the world ? St. John's has been in a longer draught than Arkansas. There has to be a reason why.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2019, 05:38:58 pm »

The problem that CMA is going to run into is like an average looking guy who (at 17 years of age and a brand new black corvette) the best looking girl in your high school is flirting with you to ride in that car or does she really like you. As it applies to CMA, does that superstar 5 star player really care about St. Johns program or is it the lure of the lights of NYC and visiting the most iconic city in the world ? St. John's has been in a longer draught than Arkansas. There has to be a reason why.

He paid his own way on an unofficial visit the very next day after getting an offer. Thatís more than token interest. If he just wanted to see The Big Apple, he would have skipped visiting with CMA at St Johns.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2019, 12:50:33 pm »

Kenpom ranks basketball programs by performance over last twenty years.

https://kenpom.com/programs.php

He also lists each programs best and worst years during that span. Interestingly, using kenpoms metrics, CMA led UAB and Missouri to their best yearly ranking in that 20 year period.

Surprisingly, Stan Heath showed the best one year result over the past 20 years for Hogs finishing at 20th in 2006.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 06:27:50 pm by FineAsSwine »

FineAsSwine

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2019, 10:08:40 am »

Johnathan Kuminga, the #1 recruit in the nation, still high on St Johns. If CMA gets this guy, look out cause the Fastest 40 will be on fire!

I had a twitter link from College Basketball Insider but I couldnít get it to work from my IPad. Will post it later.

Ham Bones Jones

« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2019, 12:16:11 pm »

should be interetsing to see how he fares in the big east.  his style will play well on the east coast and bring in recruits. 

FineAsSwine

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2019, 04:33:27 pm »

should be interetsing to see how he fares in the big east.  his style will play well on the east coast and bring in recruits.

Looking good so far.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2019, 06:34:00 pm »

Surprising that Missouri was ranked 45th overall and 10 spots higher than Arkansas who came in at 55th. Missouri's best year came under Anderson in 2009 when they finished 6th overall in the KenPom rankings. Conversely, Missouri's worst year over the past twenty years was last year when KenPom ranked their program at #192.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 09:40:47 pm by FineAsSwine »

FineAsSwine

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2019, 06:45:35 pm »

Arkansas weighed in at number 55 on the KenPom scale over the past 20 years with a best of #20 in '06 and falling as low as #134 in 2003.

Best year was the Heath year in 2006.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2019, 06:49:57 pm »

Overall ranking, #75. St. John's fell from a best #7 ranking in 1999 to #211 in 2016. Quite a fall.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2019, 09:27:28 am »

Nevada came in at #88 overall with a high of #20 in 2004 and a low of #270 in 2015.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2019, 12:28:26 pm »

Mike borrowed so much from Nolan. The best form of flattery...

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2019, 04:55:06 pm »

Mike borrowed so much from Nolan. The best form of flattery...

He didn't borrow winning championships.............

FineAsSwine

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2019, 06:10:44 pm »

He didn't borrow winning championships.............

So true, so true. There will never be another Nolan at Arkansas and Mike found out the hard way.

HogPharmer

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2019, 05:15:04 pm »

Yeah, he was so complacent that he was second only to Kentucky in SEC wins the past five years, so complacent that he left Muss with a team stocked and ready to win right out of the gate and should be on fire in Muss' second year. So complacent that he developed an under the radar shooting guard into a record setting freshman and propelled him onto the NBA's radar. Arkansas basketball is in great shape right now and that is not due to complacency.

Then why didn't we make the tournament?

FineAsSwine

« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2019, 10:36:22 pm »

Then why didn't we make the tournament?

Mostly because the team had nine underclassmen and was the second youngest D1 team in the nation. Still came within striking distance of making the tourney for 3 straight years though.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2019, 10:50:31 pm »

Who will be the first Arkansas kid Mike Anderson brings to the NYC? Could be this kid.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2019, 10:52:35 pm »

Swingin' for the fences like I've never seen him do before....

kingofdequeen

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2019, 09:00:11 am »

Swingin' for the fences like I've never seen him do before....

i'm glad he waited until now.   

FineAsSwine

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2019, 02:47:39 pm »

i'm glad he waited until now.

;D ;D ;D IKR? He did throw out a lot of offers here to some top talent that was not public knowledge but I do agree that he seems more active and more visible on the recruiting trail at St Johns than he was here. Maybe it is the realization that it's now or never, do or die, poop or get off the pot, etc.

Ironically, Mike getting fired at Arkansas may have set the stage for his biggest success in his career. At St. Johns, he may finally be able to recruit a roster of versatile, skilled, athletic guys from top to bottom. He didn't ever fully assemble that squad here.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2019, 02:57:35 pm »

Offer a small town southern kid an all expenses paid trip to the Big Apple and he would be crazy to turn that down. I know I wouldn't especially with 10 official visits to play with.

https://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/big-east-recruiting/2019/8/14/20805434/2022-guard-nick-smith-jr-receives-an-offer-from-st-johns-red-storm-big-east-recruiting

With the immediate future looking almost all set and done for the St. Johnís Red Storm, new head coach Mike Anderson is looking to play the long game with his offer to Class of 2022 guard Nick Smith Jr. (Sherwood, Ark./Sylvan Hills).

kingofdequeen

« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2019, 03:57:29 pm »

;D ;D ;D IKR? He did throw out a lot of offers here to some top talent that was not public knowledge but I do agree that he seems more active and more visible on the recruiting trail at St Johns than he was here. Maybe it is the realization that it's now or never, do or die, poop or get off the pot, etc.

Ironically, Mike getting fired at Arkansas may have set the stage for his biggest success in his career. At St. Johns, he may finally be able to recruit a roster of versatile, skilled, athletic guys from top to bottom. He didn't ever fully assemble that squad here.

so it's only now that he's off the gravy train that he decides to let it rip and give it all he's got?

FineAsSwine

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2019, 04:15:14 pm »

so it's only now that he's off the gravy train that he decides to let it rip and give it all he's got?

For better or for worse, the St Johns job and how he finishes there will define  his career. Time is running out and to paraphrase Nolan ďFather Time will make cowards of us allĒ..

1highhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2019, 04:09:04 am »

Yeah, he was so complacent that he was second only to Kentucky in SEC wins the past five years, so complacent that he left Muss with a team stocked and ready to win right out of the gate and should be on fire in Muss' second year. So complacent that he developed an under the radar shooting guard into a record setting freshman and propelled him onto the NBA's radar. Arkansas basketball is in great shape right now and that is not due to complacency.

So you're telling me Arkansas finished in 2nd place behind only Kentucky in the SEC for the last 5 years, wow, I didn't know that. ::)  And hold on a 2nd, you think this team is stocked and ready to win?  Mike did not leave this team well stocked.  It's devoid of overall depth at key positions and we had no one at center, I know that today's game doesn't always require a true center like it used to, but it still requires a big man to alter shots and a rim protector, and we have no one.  We do now thanks to CEM.  As far as that shooting guard you spoke of, he was a tremendous scorer coming out of high school, in what ways did Anderson develop him, just curious.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2019, 08:11:09 am »

As far as that shooting guard you spoke of, he was a tremendous scorer coming out of high school, in what ways did Anderson develop him, just curious.

Self, Calipari, Coach K, do you think they "developed" all those 5 stars into NBA talent. Joe was a high 3 to a low 4* when he came to Arkansas and under CMA he blossomed as a freshman and his game continued to grow during the season. Maybe you didn't notice.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2019, 08:16:42 am »

I know that today's game doesn't always require a true center like it used to, but it still requires a big man to alter shots and a rim protector, and we have no one.  We do now thanks to CEM.

You ever heard of small ball? That is supposed to be a Muss specialty. You must have missed Reggie Chaney doing his impression of the Sultan of Swat around the rim. He had seven blocks in one game. Sounds like he was protecting the rim pretty well.

Auburn played a couple of years ago with a 6-4 dude at center and made the tournament. Reggie Chaney can handle the 5 spot.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2019, 01:14:34 pm »

Getting settled in.....

FineAsSwine

« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2019, 01:36:44 pm »

Western Kentucky gets their hands in a lot of places for a mid major. Pretty active bunch.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2019, 03:45:28 pm »

The Posh sweepstakes continue... CMA closing in.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2019, 04:00:15 pm »

The Posh sweepstakes continue... CMA closing in.

Your Mike Anderson fetish is really strong.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2019, 04:05:17 pm »

UAB was ranked the 96th best program over the past 20 years by KenPom. CMA led them to their best ranking of #46 overall in 2004 and they had their lowest ranking of #196 in 2017.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2019, 04:14:01 pm »

I'm just posting tidbits of info for anyone who wishes Mike well and wants to see how he is adjusting and making it at his new stop. Mike is forever a Hog so that shouldn't bother anyone especially since I refrain from posting related info in Jump Ball or the Basketball Recruiting forums so I don't see the big deal.

This is the General Sports forum and I think it is the appropriate place for people to look for non Razorback related information on a variety of topics. I don't think CMA is persona non gratis, do you?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 04:51:40 pm by FineAsSwine »

hawkhawg

« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2019, 04:45:24 pm »

I'm just posting tidbits of info for anyone who wishes Mike well and want to see how he is adjusting and making it at his new stop. Mike is forever a Hog so that shouldn't bother anyone especially since I refrain from posting related info in Jump Ball or the Basketball Recruiting forums so I don't see the big deal.

This is the General Sports forum and I think it is the appropriate place for people to look for non Razorback related information on a variety of topics. I don't think CMA is persona non gratis, do you?

I appreciate the info. Mike will always be a hog.

VanBurenCHog

« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2019, 05:30:28 pm »

Itís fine with me, the hate CMA gets on the daily around here is crazy and it just makes me want him to do really good next year and he could very well be in the tourney next year and Arkansas not. Boy would that be something

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2019, 06:49:55 pm »

I'm just posting tidbits of info for anyone who wishes Mike well and wants to see how he is adjusting and making it at his new stop. Mike is forever a Hog so that shouldn't bother anyone especially since I refrain from posting related info in Jump Ball or the Basketball Recruiting forums so I don't see the big deal.

I believe most people wish him well. That doesn't mean they want to post about all his doings in the past that were decently good and current stuff he's doing all the time. 

FineAsSwine

« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2019, 09:22:47 pm »

I believe most people wish him well. That doesn't mean they want to post about all his doings in the past that were decently good and current stuff he's doing all the time.

There is no requirement for anyone to post, or respond to a post, in this thread. Those who aren't interested in Mike Anderson don't have to peek in here and get themselves upset.

I only post a few things in here each week and this thread, that started 4 months ago in April, is still only a page and a half long. That's a long way from posting all his doings in the past and current stuff he is doing ALL The TIME.

C'mon man.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2019, 09:28:26 am »

CMA trying to make the cut for another 5 star.

2020 talent Jaemyn Brakefield announces his top 10 at 5 p.m. eastern time today. CMA already has serious interest from #2 in the nation in 2021 Terrance Clarke and #1 in the nation for 2021 Jonathan Kuminga.

Will Brakefield break the streak? The crystal balls say Kentucky 100% but St Johns is still in the race.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2019, 12:16:24 pm »

2020 6' 11" 230lb 4* Big man Cliff Omoruyi soon to be on an unofficial to St Johns. CMA and the Red Storm staff picking up steam with Omo after a late start. Could be the anchor this team needs. May become their version of Moses Kingsley.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2019, 04:22:36 pm »

Andre Harris 6-7 250lb center from Hillcrest Prep in Arizona did not include St Johns in his final 6. Harris, unranked on 247, must have sparked some interest from CMA with his Corliss like frame. May have just been too far from home.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2019, 04:33:17 pm »

St. Johns misses the cut for Brakefield. Auburn and Ole Miss from the SEC are still in the hunt. W. Virginia seems to be the sentimental favorite but if anyone can pull him out of WV its the Jayhawks.

VanBurenCHog

« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2019, 05:22:55 pm »

Anderson wonít get the 5 stars because teams like Auburn, Mich St and Arizona/Oregon are after them and will throw in big cash.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2019, 08:51:01 am »

The foundation is there. Just need a few untested newcomers and last years freshmen to step up. Kinda like the Hogs situation.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2019, 09:01:49 am »

Moussa moves to Memphis.

I know CMA hates to see Cisse go but the wheels were already in motion before he took the reins at St. Johns. Now Penny has a buffet of 2021 talent laid out on the table in front of him. Five of the ESPN top 60 for 2021 are playing high school ball in Memphis. Damn!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/basketball-recruiting-moussa-cisse-transferring-to-memphis-lausanne/ar-AAFO58J

Moussa Cisse, the nation's No. 9 basketball prospect in the class of 2021 according to the 247Sports Composite, announced on Twitter that he will transfer to Lausanne. Cisse previously attended Christ The King Regional in Queens, New York.

With Cisse's transfer, five of the 2021 ESPN 60 prospects ó Cisse, Johnathan Lawson, Kennedy Chandler, Jalen Brown, Alden Applewhite are in Memphis.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2019, 11:31:56 am »

Things are heating up in the Posh sweepstakes.....

FineAsSwine

« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2019, 11:38:29 am »

I really think Posh is an underrated kid in this class, sorta like Isaiah Joe flew under the radar of recruiting analysts a couple of years ago.

He is bouncing back from an injury in his junior season and has started to turn heads again. This is a 40 Minutes of Hell type of kid. Great get if CMA picks up a commitment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas