• 10,467,664 Posts
• 413,056 Topics
• 23,627 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Mike Anderson to St. John's  (Read 4220 times)

FineAsSwine

Re: Mike Anderson to St. John's
« Reply #200 on: September 11, 2019, 03:14:16 pm »

So will you admit that Eddie Sutton's drinking and drugging at Arkansas might have cost us a game here or there, including in the Final Four as well? A clear-minded and sober coach might have gone all the way with the Triplets is all I'm saying.

Once you get to about the elite eight anything can happen no matter who the coaches are involved. Quite a few teams didn't win it all that were thought to be better.

Your reply missed the essence of my post so I put it in bold for you. Care to take another crack at it?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #201 on: September 11, 2019, 03:20:01 pm »

Your reply missed the essence of my post so I put it in bold for you. Care to take another crack at it?
You didn't get my point I guess. I know Eddie and almost all of his former players from Arkansas. Just because he had a problem doesn't mean he would have or would not have won a title. He ran into some pretty good teams.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #202 on: September 11, 2019, 04:21:48 pm »

Name-calling is against the rules on this board. Plus, it added nothing to your valid opinion(s) stated prior in your post (which I disagree with).

Now, tits up! You're better than that.
'Lackey' is not a dirty word.
How about sycophant---is that better?
You would probably say 'fan of the coach'. I think sycophant is more accurate.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #203 on: September 11, 2019, 04:39:11 pm »

So will you admit that Eddie Sutton's drinking and drugging at Arkansas might have cost us a game here or there, including in the Final Four as well? A clear-minded and sober coach might have gone all the way with the Triplets is all I'm saying.
Why do you Nolan/MA 'fans' feel like you need to trash Sutton? Are you envious? Jealous?
It's so obvious...Sutton must be put down. Why? Nolan doesn't need it, his records speaks for itself.
To use your own words...you're better than that.

But I'll answer your question anyway.
No.
I think whatever so-called 'issues' Sutton had were greatly exaggerated and little to no impact on the team's wins/losses.
I've been around a long time and was around back then. Funny, I don't remember hearing anything about 'drinking/drugging'.
I would compare it to this. Lately I've been reading a lot about how Bret Bielema was a shady character. Again, funny I don't remember hearing too much about these so-called problems while he was here.
One example: Bret and Jen decide to crash a lawn party while driving home after a game a few years ago. At the time, it was reported like 'cool story, football coach spends time socializing with fans and hangs out with them, very cool'.
Now that he's gone, amazingly, the narrative is now 'football coach boozes it up with fans to the detriment of coaching his football team'

Long story short, I think these 'problems' are greatly exaggerated and are primarily fodder for those who want to make some kind of political statement.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #204 on: September 11, 2019, 07:18:47 pm »

St. John's coaches in today to see Jonathan Kuminga, the #1 player in the 2021 class. #nolimit

FineAsSwine

« Reply #205 on: September 11, 2019, 08:13:00 pm »

Why do you Nolan/MA 'fans' feel like you need to trash Sutton? Are you envious? Jealous?
It's so obvious...Sutton must be put down. Why? Nolan doesn't need it, his records speaks for itself.

But I'll answer your question anyway.
No.
I think whatever so-called 'issues' Sutton had were greatly exaggerated and little to no impact on the team's wins/losses.
I've been around a long time and was around back then. Funny, I don't remember hearing anything about 'drinking/drugging'.
I would compare it to this. Lately I've been reading a lot about how Bret Bielema was a shady character. Again, funny I don't remember hearing too much about these so-called problems while he was here.
One example: Bret and Jen decide to crash a lawn party while driving home after a game a few years ago. At the time, it was reported like 'cool story, football coach spends time socializing with fans and hangs out with them, very cool'.
Now that he's gone, amazingly, the narrative is now 'football coach boozes it up with fans to the detriment of coaching his football team'

Long story short, I think these 'problems' are greatly exaggerated and are primarily fodder for those who want to make some kind of political statement.

Eddie Sutton's drug and alcohol problems were never a "cool story" bro. Your whitewash of the seriousness of Sutton's addictions does a disservice to truth. He got so high that he actually injured someone in an auto accident while he was high on booze and pills but to you that's just "socializing". Ok dude, now you have zero credibility.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #206 on: September 11, 2019, 08:18:57 pm »

I am not trashing Sutton to make Nolan's record look better. As you truthfully say, Nolan's record speaks for itself. Nolan achieved at such a high level that there is no comparison to his achievements for Razorback basketball here at Arkansas by anyone, Sutton included and that's no disrepect to Sutton, just the facts.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2019, 08:29:55 pm »

Former Missouri Tiger, Christian Guess, 6-5 185 lb combo guard visits St. Johns. Went to a juco last year.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #208 on: September 11, 2019, 08:31:02 pm »

Funny how every time a Razorback was rumored to be transferring some on Hogville were quick to express their opinion that he was going to be with Daddy Mike at St. John's and that the door couldn't hit them in their backsides on the way out quick enough.

I actually think that when Mike left, he encouraged the kids to stay put and he never tried to poach anyone from our team. The man has principles and he doesn't have hate in his heart. He has just moved on to his next challenge with grace. I wish some of our fans would show some of that same spirit.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #209 on: September 11, 2019, 08:43:39 pm »

You didn't get my point I guess. I know Eddie and almost all of his former players from Arkansas. Just because he had a problem doesn't mean he would have or would not have won a title. He ran into some pretty good teams.

So do you believe that the "problem" he had with drugs and alcohol abuse did not diminish his capacity and ability to function at peak levels of mental acuity in any way?

How can you say definitively that Sutton's drug and alcohol use did not have a negative impact on his performance, preparation or in-game adjustments when he was coaching here? Of course, you could say it but not with credibility.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #210 on: September 11, 2019, 08:45:28 pm »

Funny how every time a Razorback was rumored to be transferring some on Hogville were quick to express their opinion that he was going to be with Daddy Mike at St. John's and that the door couldn't hit them in their backsides on the way out quick enough.

I actually think that when Mike left, he encouraged the kids to stay put and he never tried to poach anyone from our team. The man has principles and he doesn't have hate in his heart. He has just moved on to his next challenge with grace. I wish some of our fans would show some of that same spirit.

Speaking of moving on..........I wish some of our fans would quit pumping him up all the time. He's gone, get over it and move on from him yourself.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:56:34 pm by Inhogswetrust »

FineAsSwine

« Reply #211 on: September 11, 2019, 08:52:44 pm »

Speaking of moving on..........I wish some of our fans would quit pumping him up all the time. He's gone get over it and move on from him yourself.

I'm not pumping him up guy but I have seen so much unwarranted hatred and vitriol spewed toward two men who have given so much to Arkansas basketball that I feel that sharing positive information about these two men as a counterbalance is warranted.

I don't say anything about these gentlemen in the main forums for basketball and football on here. This is the general sports forum and as such is the appropriate venue for these comments about the one guy who is now at St. Something....

Kinda weird that you are over here trying to shout me down. Just stop reading.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2019, 09:03:00 pm »

I'm not pumping him up guy but I have seen so much unwarranted hatred and vitriol spewed toward two men who have given so much to Arkansas basketball that I feel that sharing positive information about these two men as a counterbalance is warranted.

I don't say anything about these gentlemen in the main forums for basketball and football on here. This is the general sports forum and as such is the appropriate venue for these comments about the one guy who is now at St. Something....

There is not a lot of hate and vitriol posted towards those coaches. Sure some things happened some people might not like. That's life. I've not heard anyone that actually hates Mike. They simply didn't think he got the job done. You're  pumping him up by posting about him constantly. There is no counter balance warranted except in your mind. I tell you what, I'll stop reading and responding when you stop posting. Your constant posting about a coach that's gone is what is weird.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #213 on: September 12, 2019, 10:33:30 am »

Eddie Sutton's drug and alcohol problems were never a "cool story" bro. Your whitewash of the seriousness of Sutton's addictions does a disservice to truth. He got so high that he actually injured someone in an auto accident while he was high on booze and pills but to you that's just "socializing". Ok dude, now you have zero credibility.
I never said nothing ever happened, and I'm not defending him, so my credibility is intact.
I said that's not why this is coming up now, and that it's used primarily to make some type of statement for political reasons i.e. to prop Nolan/MA up.

It's just funny that the main people talking about this is Nolan/MA fans who feel a need, for some reason, to trash Sutton.
Whatever was going on in Sutton's personal life had nothing to do with why he left here, anyway. So I will maintain all that is overblown.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #214 on: September 12, 2019, 10:41:10 am »

So do you believe that the "problem" he had with drugs and alcohol abuse did not diminish his capacity and ability to function at peak levels of mental acuity in any way?

How can you say definitively that Sutton's drug and alcohol use did not have a negative impact on his performance, preparation or in-game adjustments when he was coaching here? Of course, you could say it but not with credibility.
You are only person that comes to mind in these forums that has routinely brought up Sutton's so-called 'drug and alcohol abuse'. As if anyone can speak definitely on that subject. I can't. I won't say anything ever happened, and I won't say it did. I don't know, and don't care.
But that's totally beside the point.
We get it. You're trying to tear the man down. And by saying things like 'Nolan/MA would have won a national title with the triplets'.
It's a smear attack and kinda sick.
You're ultra sensitive about any comments about Nolan/MA and always have been, even to the point of tearing down others if necessary to prop them up. There is a major chip on your shoulder bigger than the one Nolan had on his.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #215 on: September 12, 2019, 10:49:27 am »

I have no intentions of continuing the old arguments/discussions about MA, etc and I literally stumbled on this thread by accident. I got sucked into it. I hardly ever read the General Sports forum.

I'm not a moderator, so not my call. One could say talking about other teams in General Sports happens all the time, so these St John's posts are ok. On the other hand, to routinely post St. John's recruiting updates in intricate detail as if one were a fan of that team takes it to another level beyond general discussions about events/things happening with other teams around the land that come up from time to time. Your postings are definitely 'fan' postings. No different than someone posting LSU recruiting visits and pictures, etc. Would that be appropriate on Hogville? No. But it would be very appropriate on the St John's message board.

hawkhawg

« Reply #216 on: September 12, 2019, 10:55:03 am »

I have no intentions of continuing the old arguments/discussions about MA, etc and I literally stumbled on this thread by accident. I got sucked into it. I hardly ever read the General Sports forum.

I'm not a moderator, so not my call. One could say talking about other teams in General Sports happens all the time, so these St John's posts are ok. On the other hand, to routinely post St. John's recruiting updates in intricate detail as if one were a fan of that team takes it to another level beyond general discussions about events/things happening with other teams around the land that come up from time to time. Your postings are definitely 'fan' postings. No different than someone posting LSU recruiting visits and pictures, etc. Would that be appropriate on Hogville? No. But it would be very appropriate on the St John's message board.

I for one want to know what is going on with Mike Anderson and all our former coaches, so I appreciate the tread. 

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #217 on: September 12, 2019, 10:55:55 am »

And I notice how you side-stepped my point about Coach K not being able to win a Title, or even make the Final 4, with 3 of the top 5 NBA draft picks, so maybe it's valid to question the statement that Arkansas 'definitely' should have won a title with the Triplets. 'Definitely' is a strong word.

Instead, you quickly changed the subject to 'drinking and drugging'

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #218 on: September 12, 2019, 11:01:17 am »

I for one want to know what is going on with Mike Anderson and all our former coaches, so I appreciate the tread.
Fair enough, it doesn't bother me, as I don't read them anyway.

But what about Gus Malzahn posts? He used to coach here, and played here. Can we see Auburn recruiting visits too? LOL

Bobby Petrino was at W Ky, and Louisville, and there were definitely discussions about him from time to time. But posting deep-dive recruiting info just like you would find on our own recruiting forum pages? I never saw that. No one was obsessed with it like this situation and can't let it go.

But...whatever. I don't run this board.

hawkhawg

« Reply #219 on: September 12, 2019, 11:11:29 am »

But what about Gus Malzahn posts? He used to coach here, and played here. Can we see Auburn recruiting visits too? LOL

Bobby Petrino was at W Ky, and Louisville, and there were definitely discussions about him from time to time. But posting deep-dive recruiting info just like you would find on our own recruiting forum pages? I never saw that. No one was obsessed with it like this situation and can't let it go.

But...whatever. I don't run this board.

I like professional sports.  Im not a real college sports fan but I am a Razorback fan 100% so the only info I care about in college sports is how it pertains to Razorbacks.  And Mike was a Razorback for 20 years and was a key figure in the most exciting Razorback period of my life. Razorback are #1 but I will be pulling for Mike to be successful where ever he is at.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #220 on: September 12, 2019, 11:30:16 am »

Well now I understand why some of your responses are so off base.

You unintentionally flatter me bro. No way do my postings qualify as "deep-dive recruiting info" and you must be on some crack if you think what I do remotely compares to what Kevin and Otis do here on Hogville everyday. Stop with hype bro, its not believable.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #221 on: September 12, 2019, 11:37:12 am »

Richmond eyes opportunities beyond the metro area. Expands his circle of interests. Disappointing for the Johnnies but oh well, on to the next one.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #222 on: September 12, 2019, 03:15:28 pm »

Well now I understand why some of your responses are so off base.

You unintentionally flatter me bro. No way do my postings qualify as "deep-dive recruiting info" and you must be on some crack if you think what I do remotely compares to what Kevin and Otis do here on Hogville everyday. Stop with hype bro, its not believable.
Your comprehension is low.
I said I don't read your detailed St John's recruiting info. Why would I care?

For years several of us knew and have been saying some of you guys were Nolan/MA fans first, Hog fans second and that was spot-on. All the others in that gang have disappeared, just proving the point. You're still here, and have simply moved to another spot, but keeping the torch alive.

Bulletin: I see another St John's recruiting tidbit has arrived! Joy!

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #223 on: September 12, 2019, 03:37:53 pm »

Your comprehension is low.
I said I don't read your detailed St John's recruiting info. Why would I care?

For years several of us knew and have been saying some of you guys were Nolan/MA fans first, Hog fans second and that was spot-on. All the others in that gang have disappeared, just proving the point. You're still here, and have simply moved to another spot, but keeping the torch alive.

Bulletin: I see another St John's recruiting tidbit has arrived! Joy!

Itís amazing that you jump all the way to General Sports page to hate on MA 🤣🤣 I would say youíre better than that, but nope!

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #224 on: September 12, 2019, 04:07:25 pm »

Itís amazing that you jump all the way to General Sports page to hate on MA 🤣🤣 I would say youíre better than that, but nope!
It's amazing to me that people who are not even Razorback fans are allowed to post recruiting information for other teams on a Razorback message board.
I would say I'm surprised, but nope!

FineAsSwine

« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2019, 05:38:19 pm »

Rothstein keeping an eye on CMA's progress

FineAsSwine

« Reply #226 on: September 12, 2019, 05:43:06 pm »

This could be detrimental if waivers denied

FineAsSwine

« Reply #227 on: September 12, 2019, 05:46:55 pm »

Rothstein's mini preview

FineAsSwine

« Reply #228 on: September 12, 2019, 05:52:32 pm »

Kadary Richmond recently reopened his recruitment after he narrowed his list to a final four of Seton Hall, UConn, Pittsburg and St John's. Now I find out that the staff is in hot pursuit of Vince Cole, maybe CMA had moved on already. You never know, recruiting is cray cray.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #229 on: September 13, 2019, 10:17:22 am »

It's amazing to me that people who are not even Razorback fans are allowed to post recruiting information for other teams on a Razorback message board.
I would say I'm surprised, but nope!

If you knew anything about the advertising business, you would realize all traffic and clicks are welcomed here.

SWD26

• Senior
« Reply #230 on: September 13, 2019, 12:35:39 pm »

I feel the same. I have nothing against our new coach and am excited about the future of Razorback Basketball yet, I am still interested in seeing what Coach Anderson can do at St. Johns. I would really like to see him succeed there, as I think he is a good man and really wanted to get us back to the top. It didn't happen, for whatever reasons, but I believe he is still a good coach and I'm glad he's getting another shot to prove it.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #231 on: September 13, 2019, 08:01:10 pm »

I never said nothing ever happened, and I'm not defending him, so my credibility is intact.
I said that's not why this is coming up now, and that it's used primarily to make some type of statement for political reasons i.e. to prop Nolan/MA up.

It's just funny that the main people talking about this is Nolan/MA fans who feel a need, for some reason, to trash Sutton.
Whatever was going on in Sutton's personal life had nothing to do with why he left here, anyway. So I will maintain all that is overblown.

What is most ironic is they donít want anything bad said about Mikeís coaching yet they donít mind tearing down a great coach for a personal issue unrelated to coaching. So they ask ďplease donít dog MikeĒ all the while they dog Eddie.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #232 on: September 13, 2019, 09:44:04 pm »

Kid was ranked in the 300's if I recall correctly but he reminds me of Cameron Matthews, another 300 range kid who has good offers. Athletic, tough and a high motor. VCU made a good pickup.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #233 on: September 13, 2019, 09:46:21 pm »

CMA blanketing the area on the recruiting trail.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #234 on: September 13, 2019, 09:53:25 pm »

Andy Katz says don't sleep on St. John's this year.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #235 on: September 13, 2019, 11:17:56 pm »

If you knew anything about the advertising business, you would realize all traffic and clicks are welcomed here.
There will be a natural curiosity for what MA does at St John's because there is the obvious connection to here.
It will be a high level thing for me.
I will not make an effort to look up their scores, etc.
But at several points along the way I'm sure I will notice, without trying, what's happening up there. See some scores on ESPN, or notice some things in the paper. Things like that.
I'm glad that he got a nice job, but that it's somewhere away from here. Fresh start in another area of the country, in the Big East.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #236 on: September 15, 2019, 08:38:15 am »

I feel the same. I have nothing against our new coach and am excited about the future of Razorback Basketball yet, I am still interested in seeing what Coach Anderson can do at St. Johns. I would really like to see him succeed there, as I think he is a good man and really wanted to get us back to the top. It didn't happen, for whatever reasons, but I believe he is still a good coach and I'm glad he's getting another shot to prove it.

CMA is quickly winning the hearts and minds of the Red Storm with the passion he has shown for building relationships and connections in recruiting at his new home. They are going to love CMA even more as they get to know him better. St. Johnís got lucky.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #237 on: September 15, 2019, 01:02:29 pm »

Let me guess, you feel that way about your former boyfriends also.................

hawkhawg

« Reply #238 on: September 15, 2019, 01:29:41 pm »

Let me guess, you feel that way about your former boyfriends also.................

If you don't want to see what is going on in this tread don't click on it.  Let me guess, You bitch and cry when your friends stay friends with your ex boyfriends and don't join in on your little girl pitty party. 

TomBigBeeHog

« Reply #239 on: September 17, 2019, 09:39:37 am »

Because it's NY.... So many things to see and do could be a big boost to Mike's recruiting. The cultural experiences to be had in NY are amazing. The art. The food. The vibe. I have always loved to visit New York.

TomBigBeeHog

« Reply #240 on: September 20, 2019, 02:52:17 pm »

A peace offering? St. John's fans may be willing to let bygones be bygones after known Mike Anderson hater, Jeff Goodman, makes an appearance on a grassroots St John's podcast.

TomBigBeeHog

« Reply #241 on: September 20, 2019, 02:59:14 pm »

If this were passed, it might give NY schools a recruiting advantage. Probably not a good idea.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/27644345/ny-senator-proposes-bill-pay-college-athletes

A state senator from Brooklyn is aiming to make New York the first state to require colleges to pay student-athletes directly.

Sen. Kevin Parker proposed a bill earlier this week that would give college athletes the ability to sell the rights to their own names, images and likenesses. Parker told ESPN on Wednesday that he has since added an amendment that would require college athletic departments to give a 15% share of annual revenue to student-athletes.

The revenue, Parker said, would be divided equally among all student-athletes who compete for the school.

"It's about equity," Parker said. "These young people are adding their skill, talent and labor to these universities. ... You don't need the shortcuts and the end-arounds because now we're providing some real support for these student-athletes."

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #242 on: September 20, 2019, 03:19:27 pm »

If this were passed, it might give NY schools a recruiting advantage. Probably not a good idea.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/27644345/ny-senator-proposes-bill-pay-college-athletes

A state senator from Brooklyn is aiming to make New York the first state to require colleges to pay student-athletes directly.

Sen. Kevin Parker proposed a bill earlier this week that would give college athletes the ability to sell the rights to their own names, images and likenesses. Parker told ESPN on Wednesday that he has since added an amendment that would require college athletic departments to give a 15% share of annual revenue to student-athletes.

The revenue, Parker said, would be divided equally among all student-athletes who compete for the school.

"It's about equity," Parker said. "These young people are adding their skill, talent and labor to these universities. ... You don't need the shortcuts and the end-arounds because now we're providing some real support for these student-athletes."

Maybe they can play the california schools after the NCAA drops them all.

TomBigBeeHog

« Reply #243 on: September 20, 2019, 03:36:38 pm »

Maybe they can play the california schools after the NCAA drops them all.

Good point. Still, it is an equitable idea. Maybe not the best solution though.

TomBigBeeHog

« Reply #244 on: September 20, 2019, 03:40:30 pm »

Celebrating a legend. Coach Lou Carnesseca still drops in regularly on the Johnnies. He won their only NCAA basketball championship. He is their Nolan sans lawsuit.

TomBigBeeHog

« Reply #245 on: September 20, 2019, 03:43:28 pm »

Arkansas fans better watch out for Georgia, they are getting visits from a whole lot of top talent and landing some of them too. I see their names involved with high interest from a number of 5 stars on the east coast.

TomBigBeeHog

« Reply #246 on: September 20, 2019, 03:46:19 pm »

Nolan has always been a very entertaining speaker. St. John's fans are in for a treat.

TomBigBeeHog

« Reply #247 on: September 20, 2019, 03:50:04 pm »

Nolan's gonna give 'em hell. No surprise to see him on the road supporting Mike. Much history there. Much love. Much respect.

That relationship has stood the test of time. Mike is like a son to Nolan.

Those ticket prices though! Nolan must be getting paid good.

TomBigBeeHog

« Reply #248 on: September 20, 2019, 04:25:11 pm »

Iron sharpeneth iron.

Iron Mike conditioning the mind as well as the body to execute The Fastest 40.

TomBigBeeHog

« Reply #249 on: September 20, 2019, 05:12:32 pm »

Mike making the rounds in the NYC.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas