• 10,560,641 Posts
• 415,912 Topics
• 23,857 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Mike Anderson to St. John's  (Read 6789 times)

redleg

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Mike Anderson to St. John's
« on: April 19, 2019, 08:40:25 am »

St. John's has hired former Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson. Good luck to Mike and his family. I hope he has nothing but success.....unless St. John's is playing the Hogs!  ;)
#WPS

https://nypost.com/2019/04/18/st-johns-on-the-verge-of-hiring-mike-anderson-as-new-coach/

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
Re: Mike Anderson to St. John's
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 08:43:39 am »

They should have just merged the two threads, made it obvious what they were about and left them on Jump Ball.  Now a new thread will be started every 5 minutes because people just getting on will think a thread has not been started about it.  There was no harm leaving it on jump ball and only 1 grump was complaining.

Also most of the posters in the threads were complimentary of Mike without taking a swipe or being unsupportive of Muss.  It actually shows fans and our program in a favorable light when we can discuss our past coach positively.  It's not like the threads where a great wailing of support for Mike and wishing he was still the coach.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

redleg

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 08:47:03 am »

I don't know anything about other threads concerning this story. I didn't see any others, so I threw this one out.
I hope Anderson is successful at St. John's, and can win a conference title for the Redmen, or Red Storm, or whatever they are now.

vandybuff

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 08:48:10 am »

Good luck to him. 

FineAsSwine

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 07:26:04 am »

Number 2 player in 2021. Arkansas has offered as well.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm very disappointed...unacceptable- Chadwick
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 07:55:37 pm »

Number 2 player in 2021. Arkansas has offered as well.

I’d be surprised if he goes to St. John’s

Or Arkansas for that matter.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 05:18:45 pm »

I’d be surprised if he goes to St. John’s

Or Arkansas for that matter.

Pretty impressive that St John’s got him on campus already and are likely to get an official visit.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 06:27:04 am »

Pretty impressive that St John’s got him on campus already and are likely to get an official visit.
It’s only three and a half hours from his hometown. Kids used to big city life being from Boston. Has a list of blue bloods and last time I looked it was KY in the lead.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 10:10:45 am »

It’s only three and a half hours from his hometown. Kids used to big city life being from Boston. Has a list of blue bloods and last time I looked it was KY in the lead.

Still impressive though. Got the offer one day and was on campus the next. There is some interest there and great job by the staff to get him there so quickly after the offer. Looks like the kid was excited to get up there.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 12:00:04 pm »

Still impressive though. Got the offer one day and was on campus the next. There is some interest there and great job by the staff to get him there so quickly after the offer. Looks like the kid was excited to get up there.
Agree but no way to know for certain the coaching change is why he’s visiting. I will say Mike won’t have to travel as far to recruit as he did here. Simply higher number of people and density of population should help.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 12:34:17 pm »

Agree but no way to know for certain the coaching change is why he’s visiting. I will say Mike won’t have to travel as far to recruit as he did here. Simply higher number of people and density of population should help.

Should be able to get more recruits on campus as well because an all expense paid trip to the Big Apple for a high school kid would not be a hard sell. Not for me anyway.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 03:14:29 pm »

I don't know anything about other threads concerning this story. I didn't see any others, so I threw this one out.
I hope Anderson is successful at St. John's, and can win a conference title for the Redmen, or Red Storm, or whatever they are now.

Would be great to see him make a deep run with Heron and Figuaroa. Those two are going to be fun to watch for the Johnnies.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 01:37:07 pm »

Mike Anderson 1st 100 days grade at St. Johns.

http://dalydoseofhoops.blogspot.com/2019/07/evaluating-mike-andersons-first-100.html

OVERALL PROGRAM PRESENCE: A
This is arguably the most distinct difference between Mullin and Anderson, as the new Red Storm coach has made sure either he or his assistants have checked in at almost every major offseason recruiting event this spring and summer, gaining valuable face time for an oft-forgotten program on the national scene. This was something Mullin and his staff had become maligned for over the years, after the St. John’s legend boasted about knowing how to get to every gym in the area. With all due respect, it did land Shamorie Ponds in red and white, but the majority of early returns have Anderson exceeding expectations thus far, as a bevy of 2020 and 2021 recruits have continued to keep the Red Storm high among their lists.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 01:47:41 pm by FineAsSwine »

FineAsSwine

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 01:46:26 pm »

Number one overall player Johnathan Kuminga was on the St Johns campus last week. Terrence Clarke, the number two overall player, was on campus for an unofficial visit a little over a month ago.

We would have been going crazy for CMA to get those type of guys on campus when he was here. What's the diff? For sure The Big Apple is a much easier sell than Fayetteville for most kids, especially those from urban areas.

Whatever the reason, there is more than token interest in the Fastest 40 among some of the top recruits. Madison Square Garden may be about to rock and roll.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 01:51:31 pm »

Cleveland State transfer Rasheem Dunn visiting The Red Storm this week. Will be interesting to see how many times the Hogs and Johnnies recruiting overlap. The impression given by some is that CEM will recruit a different type of player than CMA has recruited. So far, both CEM and CMA have targeted some of the same players whether high school or in the transfer market.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 02:01:51 pm by FineAsSwine »

FineAsSwine

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 02:13:45 pm »

That staff tho...

DeMeo has been grinding on the international circuit looking for guys who fit the Fastest 40. Can you smell what Iron Mike is cooking?

kingofdequeen

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 02:15:29 pm »

6-18 is pretty tall.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 02:16:19 pm »

If only we could have landed a 6' 18" player here.... Wait. Wut? That's 7 feet six inches tall. Whoduh hell.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 02:23:25 pm »

It ain't all peaches and cream over there at St. Johnny. They have their own version of Hogville's Hogsanity over there. Some of his posts have been way over the top on the brutality meter. This is him in a tamer mood.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 02:41:13 pm »

Number one overall player Johnathan Kuminga was on the St Johns campus last week. Terrence Clarke, the number two overall player, was on campus for an unofficial visit a little over a month ago.

We would have been going crazy for CMA to get those type of guys on campus when he was here. What's the diff? For sure The Big Apple is a much easier sell than Fayetteville for most kids, especially those from urban areas.

Whatever the reason, there is more than token interest in the Fastest 40 among some of the top recruits. Madison Square Garden may be about to rock and roll.

They don't play all their games in MSG.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 03:00:07 pm »

They don't play all their games in MSG.

You’re right, 7 games this season not including the Big East Tournament.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2019, 04:39:12 pm »

Rasheem Dunn is accompanied on his visit by Shamorie Pond, the star point guard from last year's St Johns team. Ponds and Dunn were also teammates in high school.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 09:08:09 am »

You’re right, 7 games this season not including the Big East Tournament.

To some MSG would be a good recruiting tool due to location and history. I honestly think Mike will recruit better there because of population density of available players. In other words he won't have to work any harder at it than he did here and may get higher rated classes. I do find it interesting who he hired as assistant coaches.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 10:39:03 am by Inhogswetrust »

FineAsSwine

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2019, 09:55:31 am »

To some MSG would be a good recruiting tool due to location and history. I honestly think Mike will recruit better there because of population density of available players. In other words he won't have to work' any harder at it than he did here and may get higher rated classes. I do find it interesting who he hired as assistant coaches.

There is so much to sell because it's New York City, every kid in America knows where it is and knows something of the history and culture. Still, one of the things Mike has been lauded for at St Johns is his hard work on the recruiting trail in the short time he has been there. He has hit the AAU circuit and pounded the pavement relentlessly, as has his staff.

I think the NYC will take to his aggressive, uptempo style and he will recruit better there than at any of his previous stops. St. Johns is where he will likely find his most success due to improved recruiting because of location and staff upgrades as you pointed out.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2019, 10:09:56 am »

Makes you wonder why the hell he wouldnt upgrade his staff here.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2019, 10:39:33 am »

Comfort level with Watkins and maybe the same with Scotty plus TJ is actually a pretty good coach. Also, the staff wasn't electric on the recruiting trail for some of the reasons that have come to light in the FBI trial. Just not much of a national presence and our recruiting footprint was too small to really make waves on with enough recruits.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2019, 10:47:14 am »

Comfort level with Watkins and maybe the same with Scotty plus TJ is actually a pretty good coach. Also, the staff wasn't electric on the recruiting trail for some of the reasons that have come to light in the FBI trial. Just not much of a national presence and our recruiting footprint was too small to really make waves on with enough recruits.

I think you nailed it with your first two words.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2019, 11:21:02 am »

I think you nailed it with your first two words.

I took a communications class in college.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2019, 01:02:09 pm »

It is one of the most baffling things of his tenure here.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2019, 01:06:35 pm »

I agree with that up to a point. However Eddie and Nolan had no problem recruiting to Arkansas. Really strange because of Mike's history here and his recruiting here as Head coach was lacking as well as his player turnover. However I've always been told for what it's worth that other assistants under Nolan were known as better recruiters than Mike.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2019, 01:12:53 pm »

I agree with that up to a point. However Eddie and Nolan had no problem recruiting to Arkansas. Really strange because of Mike's history here and his recruiting here as Head coach was lacking as well as his player turnover. However I've always been told for what it's worth that other assistants under Nolan were known as better recruiters than Mike.

Like I said, I think he nailed it in two words. Comfort level.  I think Mike was comfortable to the point of nearing complacency.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2019, 01:28:51 pm »

Like I said, I think he nailed it in two words. Comfort level.  I think Mike was comfortable to the point of nearing complacency.

I couldn't agree more. It also appears Hunter tried to plant a seed in his mind to not be so complacent and either Mike didn't pay attention or didn't care or thought due to his history under Nolan he was safe. All just speculation on my part. But it is puzzling.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2019, 02:07:57 pm »

I think Mike may have been fishing in a smaller pond than Richardson or Sutton due to CMA's focus on athletes who were better students and more family oriented kids. Nolan and Sutton focused on winners more than other redeeming qualities in their recruits.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2019, 06:15:45 pm »

Mike Anderson gets another scorer for his squad. I couldn't help but smirk at a familiar refrain in the comments; "we need some big men". Haha.

hamARchy in the USA

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2019, 08:11:10 pm »

That's probably true too.  The #1 problem that for some reason is never spoken around here is that MA isn't a very good coach.  If he hires assistants that manage to bring in better talent then the result will be greater underachievement.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2019, 09:03:02 am »

That's probably true too.  The #1 problem that for some reason is never spoken around here is that MA isn't a very good coach.  If he hires assistants that manage to bring in better talent then the result will be greater underachievement.

First of all, it is not true that no one on Hogville ever says MA is not a good coach. Either you are just making crap up to derail this thread or your MA hate has blinded you. Now, it is true that NONE of the national media say that CMA isn't a good coach because they care about their credibility which apparently doesn't stop the local yokel plowboys around here from posting their blatant stupidity.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2019, 09:11:46 am »

Yeah, he was so complacent that he was second only to Kentucky in SEC wins the past five years, so complacent that he left Muss with a team stocked and ready to win right out of the gate and should be on fire in Muss' second year. So complacent that he developed an under the radar shooting guard into a record setting freshman and propelled him onto the NBA's radar. Arkansas basketball is in great shape right now and that is not due to complacency.

hamARchy in the USA

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2019, 12:48:55 pm »

First of all, it is not true that no one on Hogville ever says MA is not a good coach. Either you are just making crap up to derail this thread or your MA hate has blinded you. Now, it is true that NONE of the national media say that CMA isn't a good coach because they care about their credibility which apparently doesn't stop the local yokel plowboys around here from posting their blatant stupidity.

It was obvious from his lack of success at Mizzou that MA couldn't handle the Arkansas job. It was no surprise that he failed except to those who don't know how to recognize coaching competence.  It's also obvious who around here falls in which category.

VanBurenCHog

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2019, 02:15:02 pm »

It was obvious from his lack of success at Mizzou that MA couldn't handle the Arkansas job. It was no surprise that he failed except to those who don't know how to recognize coaching competence.  It's also obvious who around here falls in which category.
What? He left Mizzou coming off an Elite Eight appearance. Their fan base was ripped apart.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2019, 06:40:43 am »

Word coming out of New York that Posh Alexander has committed to Mike Anderson at St Johns with the announcement coming soon.

Posh Alexander is one of the top point guards in the 2020 class and is a great fit for Mike Anderson's Style. 

Alexander is a very tough defensive-minded point guard who is also adept at scoring. This is great news for Mike, if true.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2019, 09:39:27 am »

This guy is going to be as valuable as any recruit. Great addition for Mike and The Red Storm.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/31/paul-pressey-joins-st-johns-staff-as-special-assistant-to-mike-anderson/

Most recently, Pressey was an assistant with the Los Angeles Lakers from 2014-16.

Anderson says Pressey has an “innovative mind for the game, coupled with tremendous experience as both a coach and a player.”

Pressey entered the NBA in 1982, playing eight years for the Milwaukee Bucks and two with the San Antonio Spurs. He also had a brief stint with Golden State. He has been an assistant with seven NBA teams. He worked on the staff at San Antonio when the Spurs won their first NBA title in 1999.

The 60-year-old Pressey says he’s learned from “some of the great minds in our sport” and aims to help St. John’s reach “new heights.”

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2019, 10:22:12 am »

This guy is going to be as valuable as any recruit. Great addition for Mike and The Red Storm.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/31/paul-pressey-joins-st-johns-staff-as-special-assistant-to-mike-anderson/

Most recently, Pressey was an assistant with the Los Angeles Lakers from 2014-16.

Anderson says Pressey has an “innovative mind for the game, coupled with tremendous experience as both a coach and a player.”

Pressey entered the NBA in 1982, playing eight years for the Milwaukee Bucks and two with the San Antonio Spurs. He also had a brief stint with Golden State. He has been an assistant with seven NBA teams. He worked on the staff at San Antonio when the Spurs won their first NBA title in 1999.

The 60-year-old Pressey says he’s learned from “some of the great minds in our sport” and aims to help St. John’s reach “new heights.”

You and nobody else knows how "valuable" he will be. He might be great and he might not. He's a Pressey. They are  joined at the hip to Mike. Once again Mike goes with familiarity. Just when it looked like he was starting think outside the "family" at least somewhat. If it had been any other coach he probably wouldn't have been considered. That being said good luck to them.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2019, 10:28:49 am »

Word coming out of New York that Posh Alexander has committed to Mike Anderson at St Johns with the announcement coming soon.

Posh Alexander is one of the top point guards in the 2020 class and is a great fit for Mike Anderson's Style. 

Alexander is a very tough defensive-minded point guard who is also adept at scoring. This is great news for Mike, if true.

I didn't know anything about him but he was listed as a 4*. That's really good but so are a lot of other 4*'s. He's from NY. It proves that with the higher population density Mike won't have to work as hard recruiting IF he can keep em home so to speak.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2019, 10:35:58 am »

I didn't know anything about him but he was listed as a 4*. That's really good but so are a lot of other 4*'s. He's from NY. It proves that with the higher population density Mike won't have to work as hard recruiting IF he can keep em home so to speak.

The kid is from the Bronx so he comes in hardnosed and ready to rock and roll. Perfect type of attitude and mindset for the Fastest 40.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2019, 10:40:36 am »

The kid is from the Bronx so he comes in hardnosed and ready to rock and roll. Perfect type of attitude and mindset for the Fastest 40.

Maybe so but that doesn't make him one of the top PG's in his class. I didn't see his name listed at the top.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2019, 10:43:17 am »

Although this is not how I envisioned things playing out, I think Mike will have his greatest success at St. Johns. Mike is a proven program builder and I think Forty Minutes of Hell and its all out attack mode meshes well with the NY state of mind.

Madison Square Garden is going to be rocking once CMA gets The Red Storm hitting on all cylinders. There are going to be plenty of recruits to fuel the engine and Mike is going do big things there before he retires. 

FineAsSwine

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2019, 10:49:22 am »

Maybe so but that doesn't make him one of the top PG's in his class. I didn't see his name listed at the top.

He was out with an injury for a portion of last year and slipped off of the radar a bit but made a resurgence with a splash in AAU games this summer. The kid is legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfC41zXzOJ0

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/08/02/ncaa-basketball-recruiting-analyzing-2020-g-posh-alexanders-final-five/

Despite missing most of his junior season with a broken arm, Alexander came back strong this AAU circuit in the Spring to legitimize his top-100 ranking according to 247sportsComposite. He projects to be a solid contributor at the next level and could end up as an All-Conference player when it’s all said and done. But durability could be an issue for a player with his aggressiveness going up against bigger and strong guys.

Alexander has recently cut down his list to a final group of five teams – Dayton, Pittsburgh, St. John’s, Illinois and Seton Hall.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2019, 11:08:16 am »

Funny you say that because it is Mike's hard work in recruiting that is making a big impression in that area and the recruits have been very receptive. The number 1 and number 2 players in the 2020 class have been on campus multiple times and while I don't expect them to sign, other recruits are noticing and giving St Johns a longer look than before.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2019, 12:07:49 pm »

You and nobody else knows how "valuable" he will be. He might be great and he might not. He's a Pressey. They are  joined at the hip to Mike. Once again Mike goes with familiarity. Just when it looked like he was starting think outside the "family" at least somewhat. If it had been any other coach he probably wouldn't have been considered. That being said good luck to them.

Pressey was good enough to coach under NBA legends like Pop and Donnie Nelson but he ain't good enough to coach for Mike? Seven NBA teams picked Pressey as an assistant but when Mike hires him suddenly Pressey ain't worth poop to you. Okay dude. Whatever.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 09:06:53 am by FineAsSwine »

FineAsSwine

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2019, 08:42:12 am »

Fans love reading the recruiting tea leaves.....

Understandable though, it's hard not to get excited when the #1 recruit in the nation rocks your gear and keeps dropping by and the #2 recruit in the nation came on an unofficial visit the day after he got offered.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0y3pcbFPx5/?igshid=jcpbseykx3uv
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 09:03:52 am by FineAsSwine »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas