• 10,794,534 Posts
• 421,212 Topics
• 24,753 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cowboys 2019 schedule, predictions  (Read 1723 times)

redleg

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Cowboys 2019 schedule, predictions
« on: April 18, 2019, 10:13:37 am »

Looking over the Cowboys 2019 schedule released yesterday, I see Dallas finishing the 2019 season with a record of 11-5, 5-1 in the NFC East with their only loss at Philly.
The other four losses might be the Rams, @ Bears, @ Patriots, and @ Saints.
Dallas should be in every other game they play with a better than 50% chance to win.

11-5 will be good enough for a wildcard berth, and probably even good enough to win the division.

GO COWBOYS!!!!  ;D

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
Re: Cowboys 2019 schedule, predictions
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 06:07:56 pm »

Based on last season/current off-season moves,

Dolphins, Jets, Bills, and Lions are the only out of division teams that I see the Cowboys having a distinctive advantage over in terms of talent. So, lets call that 4 wins tentatively.

In division, Washington isn't looking too hot, that probably 6 wins.

Saints, Bears, Rams, and Patriots are all definitively better teams that the cowboys would likely lose to, so that makes 6-4.

This leaves the Giants x2, Eagles x2, Packers, and Vikings. The giants top players are better than the cowboys, but in terms of depth of talent, cowboys might have the upper hand. Eli's always been pretty overrated, but it's also hard to know where Dak stands right now as well IMO. Call that a toss-up and 7-5. Eagles are much better coached and work well together as a team but don't really have a whole lot in the way of individual stars. Tentatively call that 8-6. Packers have Rodgers which always gives them an advantage but will they be rebuilding or reloading this year? Vikings consistently have pretty good talent, but struggle like the cowboys to really put it all together. Again, let's call that 9-7 for the overall.

So, I'm going to say 9-7 initially with anywhere from say 7-9 to 12-4 as being possibilities depending on how the cowboys come together and how some of their opponents do.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 04:46:09 pm »

12-4 or 11-5 are very likely. But some unknowns at play.... Will Randall Cobb be a very solid pass catcher to go along with Cooper? And will Witten being away from playing for a year throw off the chemistry he had with Dak before he retired?

How improved if any will Daks mechanics be in the passing game? A big answer to that will be knowing if the cowboys shakeup at QB coach and OC are the best move to utilize Daks talent. There was talk that the playcalljng was criticized across the board in the Cowboys locker room. If that aspect improves a lot, with these other players coming in and coming back, the cowboys could be a very dangerous team on offense.

Then there's defense. The cowboys made some off season acquisitions but we don't know yet if those moves will strengthen the defense, make the whole unit better.

On paper anyway, I think Dallas is a better team than the Giants, the Redskins. And I think they will sweep both teams. The Eagles may be tough, but with the moves Dallas made, I think they split at worst.

The games I'm the most concerned about the Cowboys winning are The Bears, New England, the Saints, and the Rams.

Minnesota could be tough too. But the Cowboys play them at home. So 12-5 looks very, very likely. And they win their division. With a little luck, and these off season moves really paying off, they might only list 2 or 3.

RebelliousHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 08:35:16 pm »

0-16

Not based on reality, just wishful thinking.

Tejano Jawg

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 11:52:30 am »

0-16

Not based on reality, just wishful thinking.

LOL. Well, I think the Cowboys will have 4, maybe 5, losses. More than anything, my biggest concern is the coaching.

Watching the preseason game this weekend—and I know those games are trash—there is a consistent thread. The Cowboys still can't get in the endzone enough. Backup quarterback is a big issue. This morning all the talk shows were talking about how underwhelming the current backup QBs are. Someone raised an interesting point on the subject of getting a more experienced #2...looking at Colin Kaepernick. Followed by the opinion that Jerry would never do that. I'd be kinda interested, partly because I don't think the fit would be terrible, and that Dak would be a good guy to help him get into the system.

Buff

• Gold Hogvillian
  • My avatar was the owner throwing the horns
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 03:51:43 pm »

Zeke wants a dumptruck full of Benjamins.  They're paying Amari Cooper.  Now Dak wants $40 million per year.

That team won't make the playoffs this year.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 06:37:10 pm »

While I don’t see why Dak shouldn’t be making what Carson Wince is, I was hoping he’d be a little smarter than that and realize he has to have players around him.

Tom Brady makes 23 mil a year.

EastexHawg

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 08:01:45 pm »

Now Dak wants $40 million per year.

LMAO.  He's lucky to be a starting QB, and on top of that to have the best running game in the league so that he doesn't have to win games with his arm.

widespreadsooie

• Wearing shoes with no socks in cold weather
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 08:34:20 pm »

9-7

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 07:46:04 am »

LMAO.  He's lucky to be a starting QB, and on top of that to have the best running game in the league so that he doesn't have to win games with his arm.

That’s ridiculous.

EastexHawg

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 10:13:32 am »

That’s ridiculous.

No, it's not.  By every statistical metric he is from the middle to bottom of the league.  That's despite having a running game that forces other teams to crowd the line of scrimmage to stop Elliott, who has led the league in rushing both of the full seasons he has played.  On top of being the top runner in the NFL, Elliott is also an outstanding receiver (77 catches last year) to whom Prescott frequently throws, as John Madden used to call them, "zero yard passes" only to end up with a completion and a 9-10 yard gain.

What was Dallas' record when Elliott was suspended in 2017?  What were Prescott's numbers?  I'll give you a couple of hints.  His passer rating for the season was 10 points lower (86 vs. 96) and he averaged 6.9 yards per attempt.  Those aren't $40 million per year numbers.  They aren't $30 million per year numbers.  They aren't even $20 million per year numbers.  They are "I'm not really an accomplished NFL passer, but I have had a really good offensive line most of my career, the best running back in the league who is a real workhorse with close to 400 touches per season, and an owner who is willing to mortgage the future to go out and get every piece he can possibly find to help me succeed" numbers.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 03:46:36 pm »

Whatever you say easttex. I’m not gonna waste any more of my time dismantling all your points like I did last year. Those are easily accessible on this board.

You don’t like the Cowboys we get it. You’re bitter about them. Move along. It’s no way to live.

EastexHawg

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 04:02:56 pm »

Whatever you say easttex. I’m not gonna waste any more of my time dismantling all your points like I did last year. Those are easily accessible on this board.

You don’t like the Cowboys we get it. You’re bitter about them. Move along. It’s no way to live.

You don't dismantle anything.  I have forgotten more about the Cowboys than you will ever know.

Prescott is a mediocre QB and passer asking for elite money.  I don't have to have watched every Cowboys QB since Don Meredith to see that.  Everyone I know says the same thing.  You should see the emails I got in the last day or two about the $40 million demand.  They all have one thing in common...laughter.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 09:50:46 pm »

Uh huh. Yeah ok. Sure thing.

Do the big networks know about your football expertise? You might want to contact them.

I’m sure your emails from Billy Joe and Bobby Ray will be great on your resume.

holeinthewall

• Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 09:49:53 am »

if the rap sheet RB doesn't come to camp I guess Dak will get a chance to prove his worth.

EastexHawg

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 09:51:19 am »

Uh huh. Yeah ok. Sure thing.

Do the big networks know about your football expertise? You might want to contact them.

I’m sure your emails from Billy Joe and Bobby Ray will be great on your resume.

I'm not on a network, I am on Hogville.  I may not know everything, but I have watched enough football to know and predict that Mahomes was the best QB in college football before going to the Chiefs and winning an MVP, that Jeff Long was destroying and eventually did destroy Arkansas football, that hiring Mike Anderson was nothing more than a nostalgic hire in a futile attempt to bring back 1994...without Corliss, Corey, Scotty, Clint and the rest to do it...and that Bielema was a fat lazy slob whose style was destined to punch our ticket to the bottom of the SEC. 

Prescott is a mediocre QB who Jerry is determined to force into having success, much like he has done with his mediocre head coach.  Jerry's ego will never allow him to admit that he was wrong about anything whether the subject is the Cowboys or Arkansas football coaching searches.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 04:36:39 pm »

What’s Dak’s record as a starting qb?

And Jason Garrett, (for whom I have my doubts about), is an above average coach according to his record.

Wins and losses are all it’s about.

EastexHawg

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 11:14:36 pm »

What’s Dak’s record as a starting qb?

And Jason Garrett, (for whom I have my doubts about), is an above average coach according to his record.

Wins and losses are all it’s about.

I know that's standard thinking, but what would the won-loss record be with a better coach and quarterback? 

Marino never won a Super Bowl.  Neither did Fouts, Tarkenton, or Rivers.  Brad Johnson won one.  So did Dilfer.  Eli Manning has two.

What does any of that tell us about how good those QBs were or are?  What does it tell us about the talent that surrounded them?

Jerry has been assembling his own teams for over three decades.  He has two or three playoff wins since 1996.

I just came back and read this.  How does "Dilfer" get corrected to "Folder"?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 10:16:39 am by EastexHawg »

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 11:23:29 am »

So Dak has one of the best records currently as a starting qb and gets no credit because Jerry has put together good teams? 

You see how that goes against your points of Dak being “lucky to have a starting job” and Jerry “not knowing how to build a team”?

widespreadsooie

• Wearing shoes with no socks in cold weather
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2019, 09:20:27 pm »

Dak peaked as a rookie. The Boys won’t do much until he’s out.

EastexHawg

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2019, 09:36:19 pm »

So Dak has one of the best records currently as a starting qb and gets no credit because Jerry has put together good teams? 

You see how that goes against your points of Dak being “lucky to have a starting job” and Jerry “not knowing how to build a team”?

The point is that Dak Prescott is a mediocre passer and NFL quarterback.  If you are satisfied with his level of play and Jerry's team building over the last two decades that's your prerogative. 

k.c.hawg

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2019, 01:43:53 pm »

Dak Prescott is very Alex Smithish. Put a good team around him and he will facilitate the team to wins in games they should win. He doesn't appear to have the arm talent to put that team on his back when the running game is either ineffective or shelved due to being behind. He definitely should not be paid as a Top 5 QB or even a upper tier QB. It is ridiculous for him to demand a payday that is going to prevent the Cowboys from keeping the talent level up around him. He will soon find himself in the same position as Joe Flacco, Blake Bortels and other mid level QB's that got over paid.

EastexHawg

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 10:59:59 pm »

And then there is this from Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk:

NFL Hall of Fame running back Marshall Faulk doesn't have high hopes for Dak once he gets paid. Many estimate Prescott will earn at least $30 million a year in his next deal with Dallas.

In fact, Faulk told The Rich Eisen Show Prescott will be a flop after he signs his mega-contract, "He will be," Faulk said. "Once they give him that kind of money. Based on his work. Yeah. He’ll be a bum."

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Marshall-Faulk-Dak-Will-Be-One-Of-The-Bum-Quarterbacks-After-Getting-Paid-557915441.html

I just said "mediocre".  Marshall went full fledged bum.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2019, 12:25:20 pm »

Dak Prescott is very Alex Smithish. Put a good team around him and he will facilitate the team to wins in games they should win. He doesn't appear to have the arm talent to put that team on his back when the running game is either ineffective or shelved due to being behind. He definitely should not be paid as a Top 5 QB or even a upper tier QB. It is ridiculous for him to demand a payday that is going to prevent the Cowboys from keeping the talent level up around him. He will soon find himself in the same position as Joe Flacco, Blake Bortels and other mid level QB's that got over paid.

Few thoughts.

Alex Smith prefers to be a game manager for sure, but he absolutely has the talent to be more than that. Seems like once a year or so, Smith will bust out and you'll have to do a double take that you aren't watching a younger Aaron Rodgers. He'll be throwing 30-50 yard bombs one after another. Breaking off 15-30 yard runs against defenses. Then, the next 5 games he'll be back to playing the game manager role.

As for Flacco, if his team carries him to the playoffs, man, Flacco will eat up opposing defenses. There was a time where Flacco had more wins, almost all of them on the road, and better stats than Tom Brady did over their respective NFL careers. Despite Tome Brady being around for longer. Also, was trying to find one of those 2012 links or something, but even as of last year, Flacco continues to hold The record for playoff road victories. Looking over his stats, he has never once not won at least one playoff game whenever his team makes it. Further, his last 4 seasons making the playoffs, he has a QB rating of at least 90.0, and the last 2 seasons were both over 100. He barely has two regular seasons over 90 qb rating.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2019, 04:28:14 pm »

Few thoughts.

Alex Smith prefers to be a game manager for sure, but he absolutely has the talent to be more than that. Seems like once a year or so, Smith will bust out and you'll have to do a double take that you aren't watching a younger Aaron Rodgers. He'll be throwing 30-50 yard bombs one after another. Breaking off 15-30 yard runs against defenses. Then, the next 5 games he'll be back to playing the game manager role.

As for Flacco, if his team carries him to the playoffs, man, Flacco will eat up opposing defenses. There was a time where Flacco had more wins, almost all of them on the road, and better stats than Tom Brady did over their respective NFL careers. Despite Tome Brady being around for longer. Also, was trying to find one of those 2012 links or something, but even as of last year, Flacco continues to hold The record for playoff road victories. Looking over his stats, he has never once not won at least one playoff game whenever his team makes it. Further, his last 4 seasons making the playoffs, he has a QB rating of at least 90.0, and the last 2 seasons were both over 100. He barely has two regular seasons over 90 qb rating.

Since Flacco got a cap crippling payday he went 44-41. 110 TD 80 INT and one playoff appearance. My point was, people making the case for Dak to get paid are pointing to his performance on a cheap rookie contract, surrounded by high $$ talent. Flacco on his rookie contract was 54-26, 102 TD 56 INT. Much more playoff success as well. I firmly believe that Dak’s success though not near as profound as Flacco’s rookie contract success will become much less effective when his contract eats up their salary cap.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • New Hog OT working on how to cross body block
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2019, 01:41:13 pm »

ZEKE is BACK !    REST OF THE NFL SCREWED !     The world is right again. HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS !!!

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2019, 03:33:16 pm »

Since Flacco got a cap crippling payday he went 44-41. 110 TD 80 INT and one playoff appearance. My point was, people making the case for Dak to get paid are pointing to his performance on a cheap rookie contract, surrounded by high $$ talent. Flacco on his rookie contract was 54-26, 102 TD 56 INT. Much more playoff success as well. I firmly believe that Dak’s success though not near as profound as Flacco’s rookie contract success will become much less effective when his contract eats up their salary cap.

Can't argue that.

Investing too much money in any player depletes the amount of surrounding talent you can afford.

Which is part of what I love about the cap limit. You can't horde players and the better you do, the more your players will be worth on the free market, so the better you have to be at drafting and developing.

It's hard to stay good and it's hard to stay bad.

RebelliousHog

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2019, 12:26:22 pm »

ZEKE is BACK !    REST OF THE NFL SCREWED !     The world is right again. HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS !!!

YAY!!!  COWBOYS AGAIN OVERPAY FOR MEDIOCRITY.  Good.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2019, 05:19:18 pm »

Sure wish Dak could throw the ball downfield.

22/28, 326 yds, 4 tds with 10:00 left in the 3rd qtr.

alohawg

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2019, 05:21:21 pm »

Linehan should return the money Dallas wasted on him.  ::)
Look at the difference today!

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2019, 05:29:14 pm »

Aloha, to be fair there were times when Linehan had us looking like world beaters too.

It’s just one game, but definitely impressed with the scheme that has gotten so many guys involved and letting Dak throw it downfield consistently to put pressure on the defense.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2019, 05:37:11 pm »

Dak now 24/30, 393, 4 tds. Still 3rd qtr.

hawkhawg

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2019, 05:47:06 pm »

Say what you want about Jones and his history of making bad decisions.  But this is a pretty impressive team that he has assembled over the last few drafts. 

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2019, 06:51:36 pm »

Say what you want about Jones and his history of making bad decisions.  But this is a pretty impressive team that he has assembled over the last few drafts.
Yup. They still need to shore up some stuff on defense. But the offense is very potent right now. And I knew they would be. Putting Cooper, Whitten, Cobb, Prescott and Elliott all on the same team is a recipe for success. And Daks QB rating is perfect.    158.3.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2019, 03:01:11 pm »

The last time I saw a Dallas team look this good I sang, "The 'Boys are back in town..."    I was singing that song when the 'Boys beat down the For, errgh, Redskins.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2019, 03:03:56 pm »

Looking over the Cowboys 2019 schedule released yesterday, I see Dallas finishing the 2019 season with a record of 11-5, 5-1 in the NFC East with their only loss at Philly.
The other four losses might be the Rams, @ Bears, @ Patriots, and @ Saints.
Dallas should be in every other game they play with a better than 50% chance to win.

11-5 will be good enough for a wildcard berth, and probably even good enough to win the division.

GO COWBOYS!!!!  ;D

I realize this is having the advantage of watching the Cowboys for 3 games over the OP in April, but dam them Cowboys look stone cold stellar. I haven't seen a better looking team in the NFL. It's not even close and "Jim Bob, there ain't no flags."

ad: 11-5 is the very worst they will do, I say 14-2 or more likely, 13-3.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2019, 10:07:38 pm »

Same crappy conservative play calling from the phenom Kellen Moore tonight that we saw far too many times with Linehan.

This team has too many issues to be considered serious contenders imo.

j-mann

• Senior
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2019, 10:23:52 pm »

i have a idea  here since dallas is a super bowl kind of team  and denver is 2-3 years away   

dallas gets WR E Sanders  a great num 2 wr 
CB C Harris je a great nickel CB that has quit on denver   
DT S Harris de A Gotsis

and OLB V Miller 

for your 1'2'3'4' 2020 draft 1'3 2021 draft  and and if u win 2019 or 2020 super bowl denver gets 2022 1st  if not 2022 2nd   

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2019, 10:33:21 pm »

J-Mann I don’t even know if Jerrah is crazy enough to pull the trigger on that one lol

EastexHawg

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2019, 10:36:47 pm »

Finally played a team with a pulse, albeit with a backup QB and an extremely simplified offense built for him.

Saints held without a TD, but the $40 Million Dollar Man can't pull it off.

alohawg

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2019, 10:50:45 pm »

This game reeks of a typical Garrett plan to deal with the noise/atmosphere. Smartest man in the building outsmarts himself again. No way Moore was given free rein tonight.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2019, 06:32:02 am »

Finally played a team with a pulse, albeit with a backup QB and an extremely simplified offense built for him.

And right on cue. Smdh

EastexHawg

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2019, 07:15:51 am »

And right on cue. Smdh

I'm just saying what everyone can see.  With Jerry, Garrett, and Dak running the show this is what you get.  The Giants and Redskins are awful and the jury is still out on the Eagles, so winning the division might still be in the cards, but with that crew at the helm that's probably about as far as things will go.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2019, 07:23:26 am »

I'm just saying what everyone can see.  With Jerry, Garrett, and Dak running the show this is what you get.  The Giants and Redskins are awful and the jury is still out on the Eagles, so winning the division might still be in the cards, but with that crew at the helm that's probably about as far as things will go.

I’m not going round and round with you again this year.

RebelliousHog

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2019, 01:30:54 pm »

Agree. all is right in the world.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas