• 10,312,410 Posts
• 408,486 Topics
• 23,342 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Source: Hogs have contacted ESPN No. 1 grad-transfer Kerry Blackshear of VaTech  (Read 6153 times)

Kevin McPherson

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

* Source tells me Arkansas has reached out to ESPN's overall No. 1 grad-transfer prospect Kerry Blackshear, Jr. @kjblack15, who's also considering entering NBA draft ... avg 14.9 pts & 7.5 rb as RS jr at VaTech in '18-19 ... immediately eligible ... 1st reported by @jakeweingarten

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/1118348314204876801

King Kong

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian

Dang I just posted this in another thread. Kentucky has also inquired

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogwood

• Just Chillin' Like A Villain

I remember when CMA recruited him - wanted him to be a Hog then - want him to be a Hog now!

Hawg Red

Musselman with no fear in his heart.

RaisinHog

If mussellman pulls this off ... We would have a dang good starting 5

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY

there are bailing out of tech in a hurry

Hawg Red

there are bailing out of tech in a hurry

Testament to Buzz. He's a special coach that completely elevated that program and it will fall off a cliff now. No disrespect to Mike Young, but that's a job only a really, really special coach can have success at.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors

Got to think that EM's rep as a transfer/grad transfer guru guy and his pro ball time has to be attractive to grad transfers on the fence or ones that have entered the draft but end up deciding to go back to school.  Muss can sell the "I can get you ready" angle.  Got to really help with bigs since he can legitimately tell any of the quality guys I will make you our focus inside. 

ArkansasI

Good luck Muss. One would suspect Kerry is most likely to follow Buzz to a&m.

swinesation

I'm guessing this guy would be drafted ahead of Gafford?

Paul

not skeered to recruit against any coach anymore

Hawg Red

Definitely a longshot, but at least he's getting in there.

sickboy

I'm guessing this guy would be drafted ahead of Gafford?

No. Blackshear is being projected to go undrafted right now. Gafford is a first round projection.

Hawg Red

Gafford is a first round projection.

I don't believe that is accurate. Seems borderline at best. But he's definitely a top 40 pick.

King Kong

He is mostly like to go to UK

redhogchilipepper

No. Blackshear is being projected to go undrafted right now. Gafford is a first round projection.

Not anymore heís dropping to the second round

porque

Nope.  Last mock I saw, he was not in the first round.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....

I don't believe that is accurate. Seems borderline at best. But he's definitely a top 40 pick.

For now it is;  he's still from 16 to 32 in mocks, with the bulk having him around 24.

Hawg Red

For now it is;  he's still from 16 to 32 in mocks, with the bulk having him around 24.

Haven't seen anyone who still has him in the teens. Most projections are late first round or second round (presumably).

CBS Sports does not have him in the first round of their latest mock draft (posted yesterday)
NBC Sports does not have him in the first round of their latest mock draft (posted yesterday)
SB Nation does not have him in the first round of their latest mock draft (posted yesterday)
Sam Amico does not have in the first round of his latest mock draft
ESPN has dropped him to the #38 prospect for the 2019 draft
SI.com has him at #36
The Athletic's Sam Vecenie has him at #28 on his big board
Sporting News has him at #28
Tankathon has him at #26
NBADraft.net has him at #22

Am I missing anyone notable? Looks like his average projection is 29.6 where there is a projection/ranking. Like I said, NBA draft media has him as a borderline first round projection. Makes sense. Non-shooting big man. Why invest heavily in a player like that? DG missed the boat by coming back.

King Kong

Gafford should just comeback. Maybe he just took the bare minimum from his agent.

I would expect Gafford to rise closer to the draft timing. Workout warrior
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:50:19 pm by King Kong »

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!

Think he can develop a perimeter game before the draft?  Great defender, shot blocker and dunker, but has a glaring omission in his game that will make him a reach in the first round.

Beaverfever

• Your site for Razorback news.

I donít understand how Gafford was supposed to be a top 15 pick last year and heís a top 40 pick now.  He had as good of a year development wise as could have been reasonably expected.  I guess GMs can kick the can down the road a bit when they draft guys that everyone knows will be of no use for at least 2 years.  Itís harder to play that card when you draft a 20 year old sophomore.

daprospecta

Nope.  Last mock I saw, he was not in the first round.
Teams will fall in love with Gafford at the camps and during workouts. I would be shocked if Gafford makes it past 25. There just are not many like him in the NBA and the NBA needs players like him.

RaisinHog

I donít understand how Gafford was supposed to be a top 15 pick last year and heís a top 40 pick now.  He had as good of a year development wise as could have been reasonably expected.  I guess GMs can kick the can down the road a bit when they draft guys that everyone knows will be of no use for at least 2 years.  Itís harder to play that card when you draft a 20 year old sophomore.

He wasn't a top 15 last year .. he would have probably been drafted pretty close to where he will be this year which is end of first round . If he shows he can shoot it a little in some workouts he will probably move up.. but since he never really shot in at Arkansas and he wasn't a good free throw shooter I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen

daprospecta

He wasn't a top 15 last year .. he would have probably been drafted pretty close to where he will be this year which is end of first round . If he shows he can shoot it a little in some workouts he will probably move up.. but since he never really shot in at Arkansas and he wasn't a good free throw shooter I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen
His free throw shooting improved dramatically this year. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I'm pretty sure he was one of our top FT shooters towards the second half of the season.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!

Yep, and if he goes in the second round there are no guarantees. He would have to make a roster or there is no money.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY

lots of guys coming out this year. I say he falls to the second round

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • What does not kill you makes you almost dead.

His free throw shooting improved dramatically this year. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I'm pretty sure he was one of our top FT shooters towards the second half of the season.

In SEC games only, Gafford made 59-100 at the free throw line (59%). The only player who was worse: Gabe Osabuohien (48%).

From Feb. 1 on, he made 62%.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors

In SEC games only, Gafford made 59-100 at the free throw line (59%). The only player who was worse: Gabe Osabuohien (48%).

From Feb. 1 on, he made 62%.

I decided to dig into this a bit as well.  I also looked at FT% in W's vs L's.  In wins he shot 61% and L's he shot 55%.  So while be did shoot better in W's but not markedly better. 

Now in the W's he was getting to the line more, 7 attempts per game in the W's vs 4.9 in the L's.  In the W's he was earning 4.3 ppg from the line vs 2.7 in the L's. 

He did have some very good individual games at the line.  I think this shows what he is capable of with more experience, practice etc.  He had 8 games where he shot 70% or higher at the line, and 5 of those were 80% or better.

daprospecta

I decided to dig into this a bit as well.  I also looked at FT% in W's vs L's.  In wins he shot 61% and L's he shot 55%.  So while be did shoot better in W's but not markedly better. 

Now in the W's he was getting to the line more, 7 attempts per game in the W's vs 4.9 in the L's.  In the W's he was earning 4.3 ppg from the line vs 2.7 in the L's. 

He did have some very good individual games at the line.  I think this shows what he is capable of with more experience, practice etc.  He had 8 games where he shot 70% or higher at the line, and 5 of those were 80% or better.
I think that is what I saw. I remember seeing him in games shooting a high percentage from the stripe.

carolinahogger

15 consecutive posts debating Gafford's draft placement in a thread about Blackshear.  When does this thread turn to Shabazz?

On an unrelated note, I watched Blackshear several times this last season.  He is a player and would be a huge addition to the Razorbacks.

hogwood

• Just Chillin' Like A Villain

15 consecutive posts debating Gafford's draft placement in a thread about Blackshear.  When does this thread turn to Shabazz?

On an unrelated note, I watched Blackshear several times this last season.  He is a player and would be a huge addition to the Razorbacks.

Yes, how about some draft reports on Blackshear? Where is he being projected, if at all?

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.

1 year under Muss will help that dude's game and draft chances a lot I'd say; especially with the minutes he'd likely get.

sickboy

Yes, how about some draft reports on Blackshear? Where is he being projected, if at all?

Undrafted with a lot of potential. Raw.

RedyorNot

As of the 18th, Gafford is projected to go anywhere from 23rd to 29 in the first round. Getting out of MAís system will be the best thing in the world for him as he will be a stud in a pick and roll offense.

King Kong

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas