• 10,348,384 Posts
• 409,497 Topics
• 23,408 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LSU Retaining Will Wade  (Read 4744 times)

TebowHater

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • DMAC > teBLOW
LSU Retaining Will Wade
« on: April 14, 2019, 07:53:29 pm »

Met with NCAA investigators Friday, denied any wrongdoing, and back he is.

Smithian

Re: LSU Retaining Will Wade
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 08:00:09 pm »

LSU has no choice. They are circling the wagons because if they don't circle the wagons, their fans will revolt.

I imagine this story will get much worse before it gets better.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Fan701

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 08:03:09 pm »

Well, is any more proof needed that the NCAA is a joke?  This guy was caught red-handed, is on tape talking about paying for a player, and it doesn't matter.  Pearl's assistant is under indictment for paying the players, but, within a year, Pearl's a hero off to the final four.  I can only conclude that anyone who isn't cheating is a chump, and the corruption in college basketball is now just accepted.  Too much money at stake, I guess. 

greenEGnHAWGS

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 08:11:19 pm »

What a joke.

Honestly...why is ANYONE playing by the rules anymore?

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 08:12:47 pm »

Well, is any more proof needed that the NCAA is a joke?  This guy was caught red-handed, is on tape talking about paying for a player, and it doesn't matter.  Pearl's assistant is under indictment for paying the players, but, within a year, Pearl's a hero off to the final four.  I can only conclude that anyone who isn't cheating is a chump, and the corruption in college basketball is now just accepted.  Too much money at stake, I guess. 

This has nothing to do with the NCAA yet.  The recording came out due to FBI wiretap.  That's all LSU has at this time.  They suspended him but couldn't dig up anything else on their own yet and I'm guessing FBI investigation is not over yet.  They would probably like to fire him but if they did it now they would have to pay his buyout because Wade could claim they didn't have enough evidence to fire him for cause. They don't want to pay the buyout so they will stand by their man for now, but if more evidence comes out either from the NCCA or FBI, where they can fire him for cause I'm guessing they will.

This is very similar to the Freeze situation as OM.  OM wanted to fire him before they did but were kind of joined at the hip and they would have had to pay his buyout.  When the pervy phone use came out they had their out and fired him and didn't have to pay any buyout.

Another factor is hiring season is basically over and the talent pool is thin.  With so many of their guys declaring they will take a step back next year anyway.  Also with their situation still cloudy meaning NCAA could still come after them it's better just to keep whoever they have now and wait and see what happens.  Let their situation be settled before they try to hire an new coach.

pghawg1

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 08:13:09 pm »

Just amazing. The cheating continues.   

greenEGnHAWGS

• Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 08:17:54 pm »

This has nothing to do with the NCAA yet.  The recording came out due to FBI wiretap.  That's all LSU has at this time.  They suspended him but couldn't dig up anything else on their own yet and I'm guessing FBI investigation is not over yet.  They would probably like to fire him but if they did it now they would have to pay his buyout because Wade could claim they didn't have enough evidence to fire him for cause. They don't want to pay the buyout so they will stand by their man for now, but if more evidence comes out either from the NCCA or FBI, where they can fire him for cause I'm guessing they will.

This is very similar to the Freeze situation as OM.  OM wanted to fire him before they did but were kind of joined at the hip and they would have had to pay his buyout.  When the pervy phone use came out they had their out and fired him and didn't have to pay any buyout.

Another factor is hiring season is basically over and the talent pool is thin.  With so many of their guys declaring they will take a step back next year anyway.  Also with their situation still cloudy meaning NCAA could still come after them it's better just to keep whoever they have now and wait and see what happens.  Let their situation be settled before they try to hire an new coach.

I’m just asking...but why do you say that him being caught with audio evidence as “that’s all they have”?

I understand saying this about Auburn and Bama football where it seems evident due to all of the nice cars they drive, thousand dollar tattoos, etc that are paid in cash or free incentives...but a wire tap? A guy talking about how much they paid a current player? Why is this being throw around as “all they have”.

oldman1015

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 08:18:31 pm »

The NCAA is scared to death the powerful will leave them. ESPN and the SEC network says Hi!

HogBreath

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 08:20:27 pm »

What a joke.

Well, they didn't exactly get off scott free, they had to forfeit their 1st round draft pick, and got moved down to the last pick in the 2nd round.

King Kong

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 08:32:48 pm »

Good news is a lot of there good players will not be back

LRrazorback

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 08:33:51 pm »

It pays to cheat, I guess. Good grief I wish the ncaa would grow a pair.

checkraiser88

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 08:37:34 pm »

To the people blasting the ncaa(I know they are an easy target)...why? This is on LSU’s people, they are a mess right now

Piggyback78

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 08:37:55 pm »

The NCAA is scared to death the powerful will leave them. ESPN and the SEC network says Hi!

All that diversity at stake!

HogCzar1

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 08:48:29 pm »

Just amazing. The cheating continues.   

Is anyone really surprised by this? LSU isn’t going to fire him. And, I’m not sure they will after the FBI gets through with him.

HogBreath

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 08:50:42 pm »

LHN said hey don't forget about us!

checkraiser88

Breems

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 09:11:20 pm »

Cheaters always win.

Hawggy_Style

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 10:33:29 pm »

If ya ain't cheatin ya ain't tryin.

EXSPAHOG

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2019, 10:46:14 pm »

What is the “circumstance that prevented me from meeting sooner”???

UnknownNobody

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 10:52:11 pm »

It pays to cheat, I guess. Good grief I wish the ncaa would grow a pair.

The NCAA hasn't had a pair since 1987. A SMU Death Penalty style punishment will never happen again.

Look at Ole Miss, they were given "sanctions" that included scholarship reductions but were allowed to count those back and sign 31 players effectively nullifying the "punishment"

The NCAA is a complete joke.

discombobulationist

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 03:43:02 am »

What a joke.

It's stuff like this that makes me really question the people that do the "SEC, SEC, SEC" chant at games. I used to have a small amount of pride that Arkansas was in the best sports conference in the country. Now, I say screw them all. This conference is a cesspool. I was thrilled with the screw job on Auburn the other night. It's ok to pay a player's dad as long as the player doesn't know about it (Scam Newton). It's ok to get caught talking about how much you got paid to play at Ole Miss. It's ok to get caught on an FBI wiretap talking about how much you pay players. Either punish the cheaters, or turn it into a pro league.

husker71

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 04:58:32 am »

dont forget we all heard about the recording of Sean Miller of Arizona around Christmas and are any of us sure there is such a recording??   I hope they have a crystal clear recording of him offering to pay a player and then lets see what happens.  Probably nothing if my opinion of the NCAA is correct.  Hope someday they will have to open their books and files.  Ran Tark around for years and let others go free 

Svrdhd

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 07:58:58 am »

The LSU AD statement was hardly an endorsement of their coach, in fact it was somewhat tepid. It sounds like LSU’s hands are tied ATM because the FBI either didn’t share or have actual evidence of money being moved. The phone call by itself is not enough to run with.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 10:39:29 am »

The LSU AD statement was hardly an endorsement of their coach, in fact it was somewhat tepid. It sounds like LSU’s hands are tied ATM because the FBI either didn’t share or have actual evidence of money being moved. The phone call by itself is not enough to run with.

Gotta let the legal system finish its deal first.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 11:00:32 am »

Until harsh punishment is rendered with huge fines  and/or jail time this will continue.  Not enough to just get fired.

commonnonsense

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 11:05:08 am »

A couple weeks ago a radio station in OKC had Desmond Mason on to b!tch about Eddie Sutton not getting in the HOF. I had to look him up, he played for Eddie at OSU and in the NBA. His point being that sure Eddie was a cheat and a drunk but there are lots of bad people in there so why not Eddie too.

He talked about his recruitment and said “Nolan Richardson offered me $250K over the phone”. He didn’t say “someone from Arkansas offered me money” or “Nolan said he would help me out”. He said it clearly and exactly as I quoted it. Of course there is no way to prove or disprove that it happened at this point. Maybe he just has an ax to grind against Nolan for some reason.

I found it shocking, but I am probably naive about what the Hogs have done to get players. Point being we may be living in a glass house and we’re chunking rocks at everybody.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 11:10:35 am »

A couple weeks ago a radio station in OKC had Desmond Mason on to b!tch about Eddie Sutton not getting in the HOF. I had to look him up, he played for Eddie at OSU and in the NBA. His point being that sure Eddie was a cheat and a drunk but there are lots of bad people in there so why not Eddie too.

He talked about his recruitment and said “Nolan Richardson offered me $250K over the phone”. He didn’t say “someone from Arkansas offered me money” or “Nolan said he would help me out”. He said it clearly and exactly as I quoted it. Of course there is no way to prove or disprove that it happened at this point. Maybe he just has an ax to grind against Nolan for some reason.

I found it shocking, but I am probably naive about what the Hogs have done to get players. Point being we may be living in a glass house and we’re chunking rocks at everybody.

I don't think we were paying that much back then.  I mean sure Todd Day was driving a Maxima around campus and what not but still.  I just don't think our coffers were that deep. 

sickboy

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 11:27:24 am »

Will Wade will go down with the FBI investigation. He can keep his office down in Baton Rouge, but make no mistake... he's screwed. If you think Aunt Beckie paying for her dim witted kid to have a fake Crew scholarship is bad, wait until this investigation comes to the light.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 11:47:02 am »

just because he has a job today, does not mean he will be the coach by next season

SSFrazorback

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 12:37:40 pm »

Good luck recruiting with that hanging over your head.

Breems

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2019, 12:39:41 pm »

Good luck recruiting with that hanging over your head.

As long as he finds another funnel for the money, it won't be an issue.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 12:45:11 pm »

just because he has a job today, does not mean he will be the coach by next season
Right. They are just setting up their ability to fire him for cause and not owe him anything.

247Hog

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 12:49:38 pm »

It's stuff like this that makes me really question the people that do the "SEC, SEC, SEC" chant at games. I used to have a small amount of pride that Arkansas was in the best sports conference in the country. Now, I say screw them all. This conference is a cesspool. I was thrilled with the screw job on Auburn the other night. It's ok to pay a player's dad as long as the player doesn't know about it (Scam Newton). It's ok to get caught talking about how much you got paid to play at Ole Miss. It's ok to get caught on an FBI wiretap talking about how much you pay players. Either punish the cheaters, or turn it into a pro league.

I'm with you. I ran with the pride of the SEC for years but no longer do. The SEC is a problem and does us zero favors. Looking at the topic in MMQB about Forbes most valuable football teams, you can see we would come close to the payout we get from the SEC if we joined another conference but would make up the difference by fan support by winning against teams being held by the same rules.

You win 2 games  = maybe your revenue is 15 million.
You win 6 games =  maybe you gain an extra 25
You win 10 games = maybe gain 50 million               (figures are just examples)

latrops

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 12:58:06 pm »

I’m just asking...but why do you say that him being caught with audio evidence as “that’s all they have”?

I understand saying this about Auburn and Bama football where it seems evident due to all of the nice cars they drive, thousand dollar tattoos, etc that are paid in cash or free incentives...but a wire tap? A guy talking about how much they paid a current player? Why is this being throw around as “all they have”.

It is evidence, but not proof, correct?

He is recorded saying he made an offer.  I presume that Wade is claiming something to the effect that the recording is out of context and neither he nor anyone affiliated with LSU arranged for or made a payment to/for a player.

Evidence vs. Proof.  Evidence suggests he was involved in paying a player...but can anyone prove the transaction took place?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2019, 02:42:56 pm »

I wonder if the meeting with the NCAA present was simply to get him on the record. Then IF later there is an NCAA investigation and he lies about what happened then he gets slammed big time and since the school had the NCAA there it shows they were cooperating and get a hand slap instead of major sanctions.

Paul

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2019, 04:58:44 pm »

so I wonder how much he took to go to OSU?

UnknownNobody

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2019, 05:15:04 pm »

so I wonder how much he took to go to OSU?

T. Boone Pickens threw him some pocket change.

greasy_corner

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2019, 08:58:08 pm »

I lived on Stadium Dr in the early-mid 90's.  Back when Bud Walton was an athletic dorm.  Williamson drove a red convertible Mustang, Beck has a pearl white Eddie Bauer Explorer Limited.  Things were done for teh players outside the program, but in no way I believe Coach Richardson offered anyone $250K to play basketball for the Razorbacks.  Not his style.  It would make him a subordinate to the kid.  Outside of the handful of "loaner" cars, those dudes were broke.     

Hogginintheville

• Varsity
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2019, 09:26:31 pm »

I don't think we were paying that much back then.  I mean sure Todd Day was driving a Maxima around campus and what not but still.  I just don't think our coffers were that deep.

I’m too young to know about money things from those days but I do know Nolan was the first 1 million coach in the country. Plus from what I’ve heard Nolan say about AAU, it’s really hard for me to believe he offered a high school kid 250k.

checkraiser88

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2019, 09:32:33 pm »

My question is....Why are they reinstalling him to fire him later? I think they just waiting on the FBI deal to get done before the NCAA investigates, however how does this look good for LSU to fire him later? I don't get it...They could of fired him immediately and brought in a new coach. Are the LSU fans really this in love with the guy?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 10:39:39 pm by checkraiser88 »

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2019, 03:39:42 am »

My question is....Why are they reinstalling him to fire him later? I think they just waiting on the FBI deal to get done before the NCAA investigates, however how does this look good for LSU to fire him later? I don't get it...They could of fired him immediately and brought in a new coach. Are the LSU fans really this in love with the guy?

How do you not understand unless you just didn’t read any of what’s going on?

nwahogfan1

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2019, 08:09:36 am »

Will Wade will go down with the FBI investigation. He can keep his office down in Baton Rouge, but make no mistake... he's screwed. If you think Aunt Beckie paying for her dim witted kid to have a fake Crew scholarship is bad, wait until this investigation comes to the light.

I hope your right but he and Miller right now are laughing at the NCAA and getting away with what ever they are doing.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2019, 08:13:05 am »

Apparently if your not  cheating then your not in the game.  The question is How much would you offer for a 4 and 5 star player?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2019, 05:13:40 pm »

I hope your right but he and Miller right now are laughing at the NCAA and getting away with what ever they are doing.

How so. The FBI is not the NCAA. IF they are guilty in the court of law then the NCAA will be the least of their problems.

Hogwild

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2019, 11:27:21 am »

The LSU AD statement was hardly an endorsement of their coach, in fact it was somewhat tepid.

LSU's AD that suspended him was asked to resign today.

sickboy

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2019, 11:35:28 am »

Difference between Miller and Wade is that the Wade tape was released and is in the open. And he's specifically talking about buying players with Dawkins. Miller's alleged tape is still sealed and only speculated on. Miller may still go down when the sealed documents are released.

sickboy

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2019, 11:39:42 am »

Apparently if your not  cheating then your not in the game.  The question is How much would you offer for a 4 and 5 star player?

That's simple math, really. And to be honest, I understand why schools do this. Not saying I condone it, but saying I can see how they rationalize it. They probably see themselves as breaking the NCAA rules for the good of the student and the school. They pay the player who deserves to get paid more than a scholarship will afford and the player earns the school hundreds of millions. Win-win. The only loser is their competitor, who they're trying to beat anyway. In their mind, they're breaking the bylaws for the greater good.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2019, 11:40:17 am »

LSU's AD that suspended him was asked to resign today.

By who? Link

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas