• 10,269,393 Posts
• 407,538 Topics
• 23,310 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: today some of you mentioned the Vandy play by play man .. Joe Fisher.  (Read 1693 times)

vandybuff

A very good announcer, man and representative of our school IMO ..... and also an admirer of Paul Eells. 

I hope you enjoy this ... and do know this very honest.  Joe loved for people to ask him about Mr. Eells.

https://soundcloud.com/hitthatline/joe-fisher-shares-some-powerful-words-on-how-paul-eells-impacted-his-life?in=hitthatline/sets/halftime

trippigs

Re: today some of you mentioned the Vandy play by play man .. Joe Fisher.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 06:36:03 pm »

He was excellent.....and so his his partner. Very enjoyable to listen to them they are masters at silence...and that is a compliment

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

vandybuff

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 06:37:11 pm »

He was excellent.....and so his his partner. Very enjoyable to listen to them they are masters at silence...and that is a compliment

Thank you! 

SSFrazorback

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 07:02:46 pm »

Thank you for sharing.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 07:12:35 pm »

to bad they have that fan that ruins every broadcast

vandybuff

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 07:26:42 pm »

to bad they have that fan that ruins every broadcast

.... I really cannot disagree ... :)

Cracker Jack

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 07:28:40 pm »

"Masters of silence".....I like that.  SO many more announcers should do the same.  Let the game "speak" to us without having to hear about everything under the sun EXCEPT the game! 

vandybuff

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 07:31:40 pm »

"Masters of silence".....I like that.  SO many more announcers should do the same.  Let the game "speak" to us without having to hear about everything under the sun EXCEPT the game! 

For my taste, too many announcers treat baseball as nascar.  They should let it breathe a bit.  I am an old man, but some of my favorite radio baseball memories were the background sounds of the fans, vendors, etc. while 'we all' awaited that next pitch!. 

EconHawg

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 07:34:15 pm »

That's a great way to put it. I feel like a lot of new or inexperienced commentators feel the need to talk too much to prove their skill. Using fewer words to say something is an art, and just makes sense to do when you're on the TV broadcast where the play can speak for itself at times.

Also the Whistler really made watching this series less enjoyable. I'm as big of a college baseball traditions fan as anyone, but that is not a good one.  I can't imagine actually being there and having to listen to it.

vandybuff

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 07:36:53 pm »

That's a great way to put it. I feel like a lot of new or inexperienced commentators feel the need to talk too much to prove their skill. Using fewer words to say something is an art, and just makes sense to do when you're on the TV broadcast where the play can speak for itself at times.

Also the Whistler really made watching this series less enjoyable. I'm as big of a college baseball traditions fan as anyone, but that is not a good one.  I can't imagine actually being there and having to listen to it.
We are encouraging the Whistler to enter the transfer portal just in case you want him in Fayetteville :)

EconHawg

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 07:39:23 pm »

We are encouraging the Whistler to enter the transfer portal just in case you want him in Fayetteville :)

Ha. I think our skipper would send him on to San Jac after one season. 

FayettnamsFinest

• Walk-On
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 09:19:08 pm »

Paul was a state treasure. Still miss him calling the hogs. Announcers did great job today. 

BroyledNutts

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 10:57:21 pm »

OK Vandy, what's the real story on him - is he special needs? Is that why they haven't revoked his seat privileges? I mean good grief ... the guy has to be talked to by fan services multiple times, and he still persists? I've heard even Coach Corbin and the team asked him to cool it (obviously to no avail) ... how has this guy not been a victim of friendly fire by other Vandy fans ... If you have to hire a body guard because of your schtick, wouldn't it be obvious that maybe the problem is you ?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

vandybuff

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 04:57:05 am »

OK Vandy, what's the real story on him - is he special needs? Is that why they haven't revoked his seat privileges? I mean good grief ... the guy has to be talked to by fan services multiple times, and he still persists? I've heard even Coach Corbin and the team asked him to cool it (obviously to no avail) ... how has this guy not been a victim of friendly fire by other Vandy fans ... If you have to hire a body guard because of your schtick, wouldn't it be obvious that maybe the problem is you ?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

The exact words I use with my wife, her mother ... and used with the six ex-mrsvandybuffs!  But really, I know no more than you.  But there has been a story of 'two' whistlers.  https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2018/05/16/vanderbilt-baseball-whistler-vandy-sec-tournament-espn-tim-corbin-lsu-mississippi-state-tennessee/606219002/

vandybuff

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 06:09:17 am »

Paul was a state treasure. Still miss him calling the hogs. Announcers did great job today. 

Thank you so ... and thanks to everyone ... for the kind words about our broadcast crew.

Many years ago I tailgated for football.  I did not know Joe Fisher, but some of our group did.  One game we were setting up about four hours before game time and Mr. Fisher came by.  When he learned that I was an Arkansan, his first question was, 'Do you listen to the Arkansas games with Paul Eells?  What a great guy'.  And he proceeded to tell me, in depth, what Mr. Eells meant to him.  A very nice memory. 

Boarslab

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 10:03:03 am »

Yes,, Vandy's announcers are top notch---others could learn from their example..However, when I get enough of the whistling, I hit mute...I can't take it.

rljjr

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 10:45:27 am »

Vandy announcers are great. But VandyBuff, why don't the fans roll out more for baseball? You guys have really solid teams year in and year out. It's just baffling to me. Sunday's contest said you drew 3,488, but that's over capacity for the stadium unless they're hiding somewhere. To be honest I'm glad your park isn't bigger and you don't have incredible fan support. With the private school advantages you have re: need-based scholarships via the rather large endowment the University has, Vandy could become incredibly dominant. Of course that could all change in an instant, too, if a new Chancellor decides to spend the money differently.

gmarv

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 12:25:50 pm »

Thanks Vandy for the nice link.Sounds like ya'll could have your own Paul in this man.

vandybuff

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 03:02:32 pm »

Vandy announcers are great. But VandyBuff, why don't the fans roll out more for baseball? You guys have really solid teams year in and year out. It's just baffling to me. Sunday's contest said you drew 3,488, but that's over capacity for the stadium unless they're hiding somewhere. To be honest I'm glad your park isn't bigger and you don't have incredible fan support. With the private school advantages you have re: need-based scholarships via the rather large endowment the University has, Vandy could become incredibly dominant. Of course that could all change in an instant, too, if a new Chancellor decides to spend the money differently.

Thank you for your kind words.  I do not know why the support is not greater, but do keep in mind we are small --  appx. 6000 under grad and 6000 grad.  Also, it has been said that the larger the city, the less the college attendance.  While Nashville is not a extremely large city, there is competition for the entertainment and leisure dollar.  As to scholarships, I do think we do utilize need based.  As to allocation of funds, while we are comfy but not wealthy with about a $6 - $7 billion endowment, I would imagine the sports dollars will not change significantly. Again, thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas