Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hope  (Read 5333 times)

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
Re: Hope
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2019, 01:29:55 pm »

I didn't say anything about him starting, Guv. In fact, I referred to him as a back-up.

I agree with you but others on here have said Starkel will take over the starting spot this year and I disagree with them.

Possible Oatmeal

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2019, 01:51:31 pm »

Absolutely.  The cancer has been removed.  Real growth can take place, now.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Superhog1959

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2019, 02:30:40 pm »

What I saw last year with the player issues, I think or at least hope the coaches have addressed that. Last year there were many excuses that were probably legit. But this year, not knowing the system. Players not buying in, and bad attitudes, poor effort. Wont float. These things should have been addressed.

I think QB play will be much improved. Hicks for sure knows the system and has a experience advantage. But Starkel may very well be the better player. He has played SEC football. Don't count him out as the starter just yet. Either way its a win, competition.

To me the OL play and special teams could be the difference in winning 4 or less and winning 6 and bowling. Sometimes just the small things can make a huge difference. Decent OL play will give the QB a chance to do his job. Same with special teams. Field position is a huge difference maker and effects defensive play also. If we can become a more complete TEAM, then other pieces will fall into place.

Its the small things that effects the complete product. Pay attention to detail. 

verticalhog

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2019, 04:10:54 pm »

I may not be recalling correctly but I seem to remember Starkel going to a practice and indicating that he felt he would pick up the offense quickly.  Hicks had pretty good #'s in 2016 in his first year running Morris' offense and it appears to me that Starkel ran a somewhat similar offense in both high school and under Sumlin at A&M.  I've read that he's a pretty quick study and still believe there's a good chance he will be starting relatively early in the coming season.  As some have said, it should at least result in a more lively competition for playing time.  Go Hogs!

twistitup

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2019, 05:03:58 pm »

I may not be recalling correctly but I seem to remember Starkel going to a practice and indicating that he felt he would pick up the offense quickly. 

What is he supposed to say?

"this shite sucks, I don't understand a damn thing they are doing out there, I miss College Station...but thanks for the schollie"

jkstock04

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2019, 06:47:16 pm »

What I saw last year with the player issues, I think or at least hope the coaches have addressed that. Last year there were many excuses that were probably legit. But this year, not knowing the system. Players not buying in, and bad attitudes, poor effort. Wont float. These things should have been addressed.

I think QB play will be much improved. Hicks for sure knows the system and has a experience advantage. But Starkel may very well be the better player. He has played SEC football. Don't count him out as the starter just yet. Either way its a win, competition.

To me the OL play and special teams could be the difference in winning 4 or less and winning 6 and bowling. Sometimes just the small things can make a huge difference. Decent OL play will give the QB a chance to do his job. Same with special teams. Field position is a huge difference maker and effects defensive play also. If we can become a more complete TEAM, then other pieces will fall into place.

Its the small things that effects the complete product. Pay attention to detail. 
Great post.

WorfHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • jagh bI'
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2019, 06:56:16 pm »

I expect a 100% increase in wins.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2019, 06:12:42 am »

I may not be recalling correctly but I seem to remember Starkel going to a practice and indicating that he felt he would pick up the offense quickly.  Hicks had pretty good #'s in 2016 in his first year running Morris' offense and it appears to me that Starkel ran a somewhat similar offense in both high school and under Sumlin at A&M.  I've read that he's a pretty quick study and still believe there's a good chance he will be starting relatively early in the coming season.  As some have said, it should at least result in a more lively competition for playing time.  Go Hogs!

We will see. I'm sure that the staff has probably given him all the information about our scheme, the language associated with it and film that demonstrates how they want the offense to run for him to study. He has an opportunity to get a fast start before he arrives in June and then of course, he will have the summer to get more "hands-on" with the offense.

I have no idea what offense Starkel ran in HS, but Sumlin's offense at A&M was based in the "Air-Raid" offense that did involve HUNH concepts and where the QB could run the ball more often, there were a lot of single RB sets and TE's weren't used all that often. At Arkansas he will still be reading defensive sets but he will also have to make quick decisions post-snap as to what he does with the ball based on how the defense reacts. That is the key part of this offense in my opinion. I think some QB's pick up on that more quickly than others.

The good news is that, based on the article written by Bill Connelly that I posted on MMQB that speaks to returning offensive and defensive production, the team should have a pretty good and experienced supporting cast to help the QB's.

twistitup

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2019, 06:19:48 am »

Pro style, big arm- ants to stock it to a&m like ts wants to stick it to us...

This guy gives me a bit if hope

A&M thought he was the guy...threw for over 4,000 yards as a senior

https://www.dentonrc.com/sports/former-liberty-christian-quarterback-nick-starkel-named-starter-for-texas/article_a683d6d0-4c62-5aee-8c73-f16630a290a7.html

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2019, 07:29:58 am »

https://www.dentonrc.com/sports/former-liberty-christian-quarterback-nick-starkel-named-starter-for-texas/article_a683d6d0-4c62-5aee-8c73-f16630a290a7.html

I'm not sure why Storey would want to stick it to us. He played here and had every chance to be better than he was. I thank him for his time being a Hog. He is one tough guy. But he just couldn't execute the offense and QB is perhaps the main key as to whether this offense executes or not. Not the only key, others didn't get their jobs done either and that might have helped him, but he was just not the guy to run this offense and I think he probably knows that. We will see if he is the starter for WKU, though he should be.

« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2019, 08:35:59 am »

Why anyone would believe the cancer is all gone is unrealistic.  The best doctors remove it all the first time around maybe 3 percent of the time.  Truth:  Over half this team has never won at the college level.  Nearly a third of this team has never played a college game.  Almost half this team has never teed it up for Arkansas in a real game.  Over half this team has played in a group that folds up at the first sign of anything negative.  We play in the SEC west who mostly recruited as well or better to much better than we just did.  So we will be facing players in conference as good or better than us plus vets that are far superior to ours.  Our hope of winning any SEC game is that our opponent that week has had a recent injury plague or some other awful happening that affects the entire team, AND we are jelling at a rate never expected.  That folks, is asking a lot.

lumphog

• I love this picture
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2019, 08:56:19 am »

Rah...rah...many of us want more than just lip service. Bert left so many fans feeling burned.

You gotta have some FIGHT in ya
I miss the good ole days
When Arkansas MEN were TOUGH

If ya ain’t got no fight in ya

Turn away from Nick Saban

Bend over

And grad your ankles

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2019, 08:57:28 am »

Why anyone would believe the cancer is all gone is unrealistic.  The best doctors remove it all the first time around maybe 3 percent of the time.  Truth:  Over half this team has never won at the college level.  Nearly a third of this team has never played a college game.  Almost half this team has never teed it up for Arkansas in a real game.  Over half this team has played in a group that folds up at the first sign of anything negative.  We play in the SEC west who mostly recruited as well or better to much better than we just did.  So we will be facing players in conference as good or better than us plus vets that are far superior to ours.  Our hope of winning any SEC game is that our opponent that week has had a recent injury plague or some other awful happening that affects the entire team, AND we are jelling at a rate never expected.  That folks, is asking a lot.

You do tend to like the negative/dramatized side of things.

Often times I think we find that things might not be nearly as good as some think they are and by the same token, not nearly as bad.

LZH

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2019, 09:02:52 am »

You do tend to like the negative/dramatized side of things.

Often times I think we find that things might not be nearly as good as some think they are and by the same token, not nearly as bad.

Never get too high, and never get too low.....in sports, it's almost always somewhere in between.

Having said that, I can't believe I stopped popping anti-depressants....wth was I thinking?

raz1965

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2019, 01:46:19 pm »

I think 5 to 6 wins should be expected, anything less to me is sign of trouble, get that an continue to build with great recruiting this program could get back to 9 or more wins most years.

TexHog188

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2019, 01:49:17 pm »

Defense will be better. Offensive should be better. 4-6 wins at least.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2019, 01:58:32 pm »

Never get too high, and never get too low.....in sports, it's almost always somewhere in between.

Having said that, I can't believe I stopped popping anti-depressants....wth was I thinking?

I'm not sure that you have. Your posts are all over the place. Some up, some down.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2019, 06:02:30 pm »

I think defense overall will be much better and more consistent. Special teams, and oline protection are where I'm most interested to see what changes.

This year is where superior coaching, and teaching, if it's there, will show itself. Freshman and young players can win at a high level if they have the ability, and given the tools and teaching to maximize their potential.

If this staff is what they're supposed to be, 6 wins should happen.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

• Hogville Executive Consulting LLC
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2019, 06:22:56 pm »

Depends on the Oline

Hoggish

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2019, 08:52:59 pm »

I'm not sure I have any hope but, I am hoping that there is progress beyond what any of us expect!  It is imperative that Chad Morris succeed!  Let  us hope the ones who were not behind this coach are gone.  Let us hope that there has been a LOT of learning in these past few months and let's hope there is much more learning over the summer and, come fall camp, this team is transformed and can be competitive and turn the whole thing around! 
Go Hogs!

hawaiianhogster

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2019, 09:43:15 pm »

I'm not sure I have any hope but, I am hoping that there is progress beyond what any of us expect!  It is imperative that Chad Morris succeed!  Let  us hope the ones who were not behind this coach are gone.  Let us hope that there has been a LOT of learning in these past few months and let's hope there is much more learning over the summer and, come fall camp, this team is transformed and can be competitive and turn the whole thing around! 
Go Hogs!

The way I see it you do have hope. Stick with it and think positive.

PigPusher

• Global Moderator
  • Just another day as a Hog!!!
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2019, 11:04:09 pm »

Goodness, so many of you fellows have glasses that are half empty. Must be sad to not be able to have a positive feeling about our evolving football program. Every thing that has happened in the last few months, i would think, should lead one to be encouraged and hopeful. We have a coach that is very intelligent and knowledgeable about being a football coach. He very well is demonstrating that with his actions in enlisting the corrections of the problems of an ailing program. We will witness in 2019 the fruits of his efforts. Just saying. (A loyal Hogvillian since 2003.)

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2019, 11:59:31 pm »

over 3,090 as a senior. 4,475 for the career.

Nashville Fan

• Welcome to next year!
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2019, 08:41:48 am »

Anything over 5 wins and I will celebrate.

jgphillips3

• Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2019, 10:06:42 am »

There is hope and there is wishful thinking.  I feel most of us have “hope” that we are beginning to turn the corner and will win between 5 and 7 games and show flashes of things to come.  Anyone expecting another 2 win season is equally as irrational as those expecting double digit wins.  The four non-cons are there for the picking.  I see at least 3 SEC teams we can beat, 3 we can’t and two maybe (but not likely) depending on how we progress or don’t.

HogPharmer

« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2019, 10:40:15 am »

I'm not sure that you have. Your posts are all over the place. Some up, some down.

I got something that'll help with that

OkieBack

« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2019, 11:03:46 am »

There is hope and there is wishful thinking.  I feel most of us have “hope” that we are beginning to turn the corner and will win between 5 and 7 games and show flashes of things to come.  Anyone expecting another 2 win season is equally as irrational as those expecting double digit wins. The four non-cons are there for the picking.  I see at least 3 SEC teams we can beat, 3 we can’t and two maybe (but not likely) depending on how we progress or don’t.

This.  Realistic expectations should be somewhere in the middle.  So if you average those who say 2 wins and those who say 10 wins, it comes out to 6.  I'd like to think we could hit 6 to be bowl eligible, but with some obstacles that we don't know how we will fare with yet it is iffy for me to expect more than 5 wins. 

How we do in Non-conference games will be a HUGE indicator of how this staff can and will respond eventually to SEC competition once they have a full team of their own recruits.  If talent wins out then we should win our NC schedule in 2019.  After that...any other wins in the SEC I'll have to give credit to the coaches and game planning.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2019, 12:48:23 pm »

Do we have any reason to be more hopeful than last year? 

Yes, I can see a 100% improvement, with 4 wins.

PigPusher

• Global Moderator
  • Just another day as a Hog!!!
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2019, 06:39:42 pm »

With everything that has been changed and modified it would seem safe to go with the seven wins and it might be more. Getting rid of those players that just did not want to buy into the coaches new approach was a very positive thing. The guys that are there now are enthused which is great.

Possible Oatmeal

« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2019, 01:00:54 pm »

That's all fine, but not of that has anything to do with the cancer not being gone.  The cancer was about the attitudes, not the ability.  The folding mentality still has some hold on the team, I'm sure, but it can be worked through.  It doesn't require cutting out.

The attitudes needed cutting out, and they were.  The cancer is gone.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2019, 01:07:25 pm »

I'm not sure why Storey would want to stick it to us. He played here and had every chance to be better than he was. I thank him for his time being a Hog. He is one tough guy. But he just couldn't execute the offense and QB is perhaps the main key as to whether this offense executes or not. Not the only key, others didn't get their jobs done either and that might have helped him, but he was just not the guy to run this offense and I think he probably knows that. We will see if he is the starter for WKU, though he should be.

Despite what you said after the bolded portion, you don't think a competitor like Storey will have a bigger chip on his shoulder going into the game against us?

I don't care if I had all the opportunities and I couldn't do it. I don't care if I flat out suck. I'm still gonna wanna whip my old team's ass more than I would Old Dominion's.

twistitup

« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2019, 01:08:57 pm »

you don't think a competitor like Storey will have a bigger chip on his shoulder going into the game against us?

I don't care if I had all the opportunities and I couldn't do it. I don't care if I flat out suck. I'm still gonna wanna whip my old team's ass more than I would Old Dominion's.

exactly...couldn't agree more. Wku vs AR will be very meaningful to Storey. Don't fool yourself Musk....

OkieBack

« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2019, 01:17:12 pm »

That's all fine, but not of that has anything to do with the cancer not being gone.  The cancer was about the attitudes, not the ability.  The folding mentality still has some hold on the team, I'm sure, but it can be worked through.  It doesn't require cutting out.

The attitudes needed cutting out, and they were.  The cancer is gone.

Lol.  I'm not sure I would even call it a cancer.  More like the wrong engine parts in the wrong car.  The parts may have been ok, however if they don't fit right under the hood of the car...then you get 2018 Arkansas Football.  No doubt a few players truly were a cancer.  But for those players like Ty who had heart but just couldn't execute the new system...I say good luck playing elsewhere and I hope you win some games...other than the one against Arkansas.

twistitup

« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2019, 01:34:22 pm »

Okie..last I checked, execution of the system is on the team not just the qb

oldhawg

« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2019, 01:55:24 pm »

I know that practices have been closed for the most part, but does anyone have a "feel" for how they are going?  Good organization?  Demanding on the players?  Attitude checks?  What's better than last year (other than talent upgrades)?
Are players "Buying In" to what Coach Morris is selling?  What does that mean?

Yes, I have hope that things will be obviously better on the field this year, if not reflected in wins, at least in the intensity and effort of the players, and the game day organization of the coaches. 

Unfortunately, hope has replaced expectations, at least until there is demonstrated improvement.

Hawgphat

« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2019, 02:00:28 pm »

The Arkansas Razorbacks WILL BE better

Please don't put the Hogs on the shelf

Coach Chad Morris is a real go-getter

Our record will take care of itself

;)

opineonswine

• Global Moderator
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2019, 02:09:22 pm »

And don't forget:

2019, the year of the pig, will be a balancing year for the boars. This is the time when you need to correct your past mistakes and prepare for the future. Take care of your health with simple home remedies. Learn to communicate with your lover or spouse for better Chinese zodiac compatibility. And when it comes to career, learning new skills is extremely important in 2019.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2019, 02:17:44 pm »

Dude, Cam Newton could not have run an offense with last year's O-line!

I'll say it again:  I wonder what Ty Storey might have looked like if he'd have had an even average O-line.

Superhog1959

« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2019, 02:31:52 pm »

Dude, Cam Newton could not have run an offense with last year's O-line!

I'll say it again:  I wonder what Ty Storey might have looked like if he'd have had an even average O-line.
I agree the Oline is the starting point. I think we improve, the question is how much? 4 -5 wins wont excite me much. 6 or better, yes. The goal is a bowl, get that, and fans will start getting pumped again. Less and there will be a lot of critics.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2019, 02:55:14 pm »

Go play In the road

And make it the interstate.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2019, 04:07:44 pm »

I agree the Oline is the starting point. I think we improve, the question is how much? 4 -5 wins wont excite me much. 6 or better, yes. The goal is a bowl, get that, and fans will start getting pumped again. Less and there will be a lot of critics.

There's already a lot of critics!  I can't see an O-line being built in a year, but we should start to see some improvement. 

Four out-of-conference wins should be expected with the possibility of an in-conference upset (but don't expect one!).  More than 4 wins this year would be gravy.  A bowl game would be a grand slam walk-off home run.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2019, 04:46:43 pm »

Despite what you said after the bolded portion, you don't think a competitor like Storey will have a bigger chip on his shoulder going into the game against us?

If he is the starter, I have no doubt that he will compete with every ounce of energy he has in his body. Of course he will. Wanting to beat his former team? Sure, of course. I just thought the term, "stick it to us" was a bit over top, as if he had something against Arkansas, as if because he wasn't treated fairly and not given a fair shake at Arkansas and that is why I responded as I did.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2019, 05:09:29 pm »

There's already a lot of critics!  I can't see an O-line being built in a year, but we should start to see some improvement. 

Four out-of-conference wins should be expected with the possibility of an in-conference upset (but don't expect one!).  More than 4 wins this year would be gravy.  A bowl game would be a grand slam walk-off home run.

It's possible to rebuild an OLine in a year if the coaching staff signs a couple of stud JUCO Olineman and that's what Morris's staff did.

Building Depth is a different story.

OkieBack

« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2019, 05:18:07 pm »

Okie..last I checked, execution of the system is on the team not just the qb

True.  Your point being?

twistitup

« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2019, 10:49:39 am »

But for those players like Ty who had heart but just couldn't execute the new system...I say good luck playing elsewhere and I hope you win some games...other than the one against Arkansas.

we will never know if Ty could have executed the system.......he didn't have the supporting cast to do so.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2019, 11:29:50 am »

we will never know if Ty could have executed the system.......he didn't have the supporting cast to do so.

All one had to do was look at just how short of the receivers Ty's long passes were and it was obvious that he wouldn't be around long.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2019, 11:34:14 am »

All one had to do was look at just how short of the receivers Ty's long passes were and it was obvious that he wouldn't be around long.

I guess he should have worked on passing while getting knocked on his arse. 

The guy literally had no protection (or run threat) and some still want to critique his arm.  Wow.

twistitup

« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2019, 11:47:40 am »

The guy literally had no protection (or run threat) and some still want to critique his arm.  Wow.

This.

Hawgphat

« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2019, 12:11:15 pm »

Storey is gone.  The Arkansas QB "story" will now be written by different principal players.

I see little point in obsessing over that unsatisfactory cheeseburger you had last year.  It's gone. - - - - Literally, - - gone.

Petrino is gone.

Jeff Long is gone.

Bielema is gone.

MA is gone.

Cole Kelley is gone.

Ty Storey is gone.

Time - - - and The Arkansas Razorbacks - - - march onward.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2019, 12:26:12 pm »

Excuses, excuses. Quit acting like nothing was ever Ty's fault, you know better than that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas