• 10,352,577 Posts
• 409,635 Topics
• 23,415 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking forward to 20,000 at Bud Walton again where the crowd....  (Read 4540 times)

cityhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • THE City
Re: Looking forward to 20,000 at Bud Walton again where the crowd....
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2019, 04:59:07 pm »

Gotta stop with all the BS canned music and video board wanna be pro stadium crap when we are down by 1 with a minute left, when we're needing a deafening Hog Call or William Tell. This is college, we need the collegiate atmosphere back. That's how we will them to pull out big wins in tight games. That's how we make other teams fear playing in BWA.

meh. The pep band has been playing the same songs for 20 years. The William Tell and 2001 Space Odyssey are so contrived because they are programed 'moments' in the game now as opposed to spontaneous explosions. Until NCAA stops being a free throw shooting contest the NBA will still be more entertaining

jap66

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2019, 05:49:45 pm »

Gotta stop with all the BS canned music and video board wanna be pro stadium crap when we are down by 1 with a minute left, when we're needing a deafening Hog Call or William Tell. This is college, we need the collegiate atmosphere back. That's how we will them to pull out big wins in tight games. That's how we make other fear playing in BWA.

"""

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

BoarnSupremacy

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2019, 06:42:43 pm »

"""

I may be wrong but I think this guy will get us to 20000 again   maybe next year at a few games

Hawg2afault

• Varsity
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2019, 09:14:49 am »

Remember when the upper deck was lit up?  You could see the entire crowd.  I assume they darkened it so you couldn't tell how empty it really was up there. 

LZH

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2019, 01:17:52 pm »

I tried to post this earlier, but it very well could be my phone.  I know JR left (retirement, health, another job, I don't know), but why did we just let the idea of the 'crazy ass band', the 'crazy ass leader', and the light/sound meter fade out?  That was always an integral part of Hog games.  I know JR would be damn hard to replace, but why not try to get the best replacement we could and continue the whole thing?  Anyone know?

MountieDawg

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2019, 01:18:18 pm »

Right on.  Not only that but all ads should be banned from the arena and the stadium.  Sure that would cost some revenue but it might be made up from the money that flows from success.  To help the team the fans need their attention to be focused on the game.  The team must be focused and the fans should be too.  No distractions.  The atmosphere in both the arena and the stadium should be geared towards funneling everyone's attention to the game.

Get rid of the rim and nets and bring back peach baskets.    Get rid of the video board and have some one flip the scores over by hand.  Travel by bus..  SERIOUSLY, JUST WIN!  ALL THE OTHER STUFF WONT MATTER.  Some of you crack me up.

rogersvillemohog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Thank you for 25 years, Mike and Marcheita!
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2019, 01:53:38 pm »

There were some flash in the pan moments under Mike at BWA. That Michigan game his first year was an incredible atmosphere. The Mizzou game in his second year (Missouri's first in the SEC) was good too. All the games that honored the National Championship team, or Nolan, or anybody from the "glory days." There were some great crowds when Barford and Macon were here as well. That Minnesota game a couple of years ago comes to mind as well as the Oklahoma State game that was part of the SEC/Big 12 matchup. Tennessee two or three years ago. One of the loudest Hog Calls I can ever remember came in the Kentucky game 2 years ago. It was early in the game because Kentucky grabbed a lead halfway through the first half and never relinquished it, but we went on a run early and it was so darned loud in there I almost had to cover my ears.

All the gimmicky BS needs to be done away with. When Arkansas basketball is good, people show up and they get LOUD. They also need to light the place back up again. I've started getting tickets to the games down in the lettered rows as opposed to the numbered rows because I'm a pretty big ol' dude and my dairy aire doesn't fit all that comfortably in the regular seats, but besides that it is very dark and at moments of the game can almost even make you a bit tired and disinterested. I don't have an issue with some pipped in music and the DJ is okay because the students and the kids like it, but I would like to see some of that scaled back a bit.

As far as removing seats goes - why? We have a beautiful facility that is one of the largest on-campus basketball arenas in the country and can hold more people on gameday than the TD Garden for a Celtics game. I understand that basketball hasn't been great for the last two decades or so, but I really think we would regret that decision if Musselman (or whoever) is able to get the program back to where it once was. Now, does BWA need some renovations? Absolutely. Start with some proper sinks in the restrooms, renovate and touch up the concourse and the suites, and as I've already mentioned, lighting. But removing seats to add additional high-end seats seems a little bit sacrilegious.

26.2Hog

• The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2019, 02:07:51 pm »

I tried to post this earlier, but it very well could be my phone.  I know JR left (retirement, health, another job, I don't know), but why did we just let the idea of the 'crazy ass band', the 'crazy ass leader', and the light/sound meter fade out?  That was always an integral part of Hog games.  I know JR would be damn hard to replace, but why not try to get the best replacement we could and continue the whole thing?  Anyone know?

Good question and I don't have an answer.

But Robken's departure was not voluntary.

LZH

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2019, 02:22:04 pm »

Good question and I don't have an answer.

But Robken's departure was not voluntary.

That bothers me, I must admit.

seasonhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2019, 03:15:30 pm »

Back in the day, nobody wanted to come to Barnhill. Once BWA was built, nobody wanted to come to play there.......nobody.

Where fans stood and cheered most of the game, I was there for many of them.

East Clintwood

« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2019, 05:17:03 pm »

That bothers me, I must admit.

If I remember  correctly (and I might not), JR was terminated for dating a student.  I'm pretty sure he ended up marrying her.

LZH

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2019, 08:13:45 am »

If I remember  correctly (and I might not), JR was terminated for dating a student.  I'm pretty sure he ended up marrying her.

If so, then....well, good grief.  How many English Lit professors who are playing footsie with their students get any darn about it?

If JR loved her and she loved him, then who the hell cares as long as she's 18?  Typical Arkansas, right?

pigbacon

• Hogvillian
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2019, 09:16:11 pm »

If so, then....well, good grief.  How many English Lit professors who are playing footsie with their students get any darn about it?

If JR loved her and she loved him, then who the hell cares as long as she's 18?  Typical Arkansas, right?

Not sure about all that...but Robken is just a few hours south at LaTech in Ruston, LA I believe. They need to go get him.

hogsmash12

« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2019, 05:28:59 am »

Gotta stop with all the BS canned music and video board wanna be pro stadium crap when we are down by 1 with a minute left, when we're needing a deafening Hog Call or William Tell. This is college, we need the collegiate atmosphere back. That's how we will them to pull out big wins in tight games. That's how we make other teams fear playing in BWA.

+1

Bogghawg

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2019, 12:04:14 am »

We need to bring these concerns to the AD. Who's gonna type up the petition "Resurrect Bud Walton"?
I will!  I have a degree in journalism from UA and this topic has been the most frustrating thing I have experienced when I attend games at BWA.  I have written about it on previous Hogville rants down through the years, usually right after I get back from attending a game on the hill. It is mind boggling to me that the powers that be let this happen and absolutely lost the spirit of Barnhill.  I don't care where they put that crystal bowl, the magic is gone.  But it could be easily found again.  Most of the problems are the self inflicted type sited in earlier posts in this thread.  With a new AD, maybe we could could draft a petition, write up some concrete examples of what's wrong and why, throw in some videos of how it's supposed to be.....

UnknownNobody

« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2019, 02:56:06 am »

Not sure about all that...but Robken is just a few hours south at LaTech in Ruston, LA I believe. They need to go get him.

Robken is in his 70's and I'm pretty sure he retired years ago.

26.2Hog

• The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2019, 08:47:04 am »

Robken is in his 70's and I'm pretty sure he retired years ago.

Unbelievably, Robken is still doing his thing at La Tech where he is still the band director.

Guy has so much energy he makes the energizer bunny look like a total slacker.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2019, 10:44:34 am »

Unbelievably, Robken is still doing his thing at La Tech where he is still the band director.

Guy has so much energy he makes the energizer bunny look like a total slacker.

That's awesome, I guess he decided against retiring.

https://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=574830.0

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas