• 10,330,638 Posts
• 408,951 Topics
• 23,360 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Musselman possible assistants  (Read 45640 times)

FraggleHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • My name is on Senior Walk
Re: Musselman possible assistants
« Reply #350 on: April 17, 2019, 09:10:45 am »

if these two guys are it where the recruiter

Who's to say neither Scotty or Ruta can't recruit, or even Muss for that matter. They still have another coach to hire so... hold your horses.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #351 on: April 17, 2019, 09:23:38 am »

Who's to say neither Scotty or Ruta can't recruit, or even Muss for that matter. They still have another coach to hire so... hold your horses.

Ruta has been involved in recruiting from day one and he better than anyone knows what CEM is looking for.

https://amp.rgj.com/amp/622024002

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

logic

The fact that someone might think this is a good idea is just baffling. 
Why?  Do you not believe that Mike Anderson is capable?

Or is it because you believe like I do that the odds are zero that, even if offered, that Anderson would accept.

FraggleHog

• My name is on Senior Walk
« Reply #353 on: April 17, 2019, 10:16:52 am »

Ruta has been involved in recruiting from day one and he better than anyone knows what CEM is looking for.

https://amp.rgj.com/amp/622024002

Great find! Looks like Ruta is our "recruiter"

UnknownNobody

« Reply #354 on: April 17, 2019, 10:20:14 am »

Great find! Looks like Ruta is our "recruiter"

I think he is a cog in the wheel, Musselman may still be looking for a "recruiter" with ties to the South but who knows, so far he seems to be recruiting nationally.

logic

« Reply #355 on: April 17, 2019, 10:42:03 am »

Is it a given that outstanding players make outstanding coaches?  If so fine; if not, what's all the talk about retaining Thurman?

King Kong

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #356 on: April 17, 2019, 12:17:42 pm »

Is it a given that outstanding players make outstanding coaches?  If so fine; if not, what's all the talk about retaining Thurman?

If he was an Asst for 3 years at the P5 Level. Went to the tournament twice in those seasons. Landed Reggie Chaney. Was responsible for team shoot in which one season his team was the first team in the SEC in over a decade to shoot over 40% from 3 in conference play. In another had 2 players hit over 70 3ís with one making 113 tying the SEC Freshman record.

To logical for logic?

porque

« Reply #357 on: April 17, 2019, 02:03:31 pm »

If he was an Asst for 3 years at the P5 Level. Went to the tournament twice in those seasons. Landed Reggie Chaney. Was responsible for team shoot in which one season his team was the first team in the SEC in over a decade to shoot over 40% from 3 in conference play. In another had 2 players hit over 70 3ís with one making 113 tying the SEC Freshman record.

To logical for logic?

But was a horrible free throw shooting team in 2018-2019.

lakecityhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #358 on: April 17, 2019, 02:35:10 pm »

Why on earth do you guys keep crying about Muss hiring Thurman? NOT one of you know anything about who can coach or who can recruit or anything else for that matter. Musselman knows who he wants and who he doesn't want and we ALL KNOW it ain't one of us!

Leave it alone and worry about doing your part, supporting the team.

Smithian

« Reply #359 on: April 17, 2019, 02:45:26 pm »

Why on earth do you guys keep crying about Muss hiring Thurman? NOT one of you know anything about who can coach or who can recruit or anything else for that matter. Musselman knows who he wants and who he doesn't want and we ALL KNOW it ain't one of us!

Hi, lakecityhogs, this is a forum where we discuss things about the team and share opinions.

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
  • Formerly posting as Snout Says

I think we will hear the official hiring's as soon as tomorrow.

pigbacon

• Hogvillian
« Reply #361 on: April 17, 2019, 06:22:07 pm »

I get the topic for sake of discussion, but I canít name one assistant from the top of my head at Duke or most any other school. Doesnít mean I maybe wouldnít know who they are if I saw the name.

This said, as long as CEM wins, makes NCAATs and competes for championships we mostly wonít care who the assistants are.

If itís coming down to blaming the team performance due to assistants, then it will be time to seek a new coach similar to what MA was facing.

If Thurman is a hard worker, willing to learn and CEM is willing to have him and mentor- then this is a great opportunity and we should be happy for his career and development. 

Ultimately, itís CEMís decision for what is best for him and the program. Here forward, the successes/failures are on his shoulders now, with his career and tenure here at stake.

King Kong

« Reply #362 on: April 17, 2019, 08:16:50 pm »

But was a horrible free throw shooting team in 2018-2019.

As the majority of that was because the best player shot 59%. A .07 improvement from the year prior.

Adrio Bailey also improved by .03 this year

Gabe was of course the worst. However his attempts were limited

« Reply #363 on: April 17, 2019, 08:27:46 pm »

For me it comes down to a business decision.
As a stockholder I expect the management TEAM to
provide the highest possible returns.

The previous MT did okay but did not meet expectations.
Recruits were lackluster, player development was sketchy and
results in terms of post season wins dismal.
Arkansas became nationally irrelevant.

In business a general house cleaning would be in order, as
to expect different results from the same people would be considered insane,
and lead to poor returns. My hope would be that the CEO would be smart enough to see that.

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy

ask Joe about how much Thurman helped him with his shooting and a couple others as well

lakecityhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #365 on: April 17, 2019, 10:05:25 pm »

and lead to poor returns. My hope would be that the CEO would be smart enough to see that.

You call this kind of drivel discussion?????
On the one hand many of you say " He is the coach let him hire who he wants." But, when it looks like he wants to hire someone that you dislike you want to cry about all of the reasons why it is wrong. AND, the truth is, just as I said earlier, you don't know crap about the qualifications of ANYONE connected with the basketball program!

King Kong

« Reply #366 on: April 17, 2019, 10:24:44 pm »

That would be stupid. Retaining zero percent of the previous team would be disastrous. The next CEO would have to learn all the ins and outs of the businesses strengths and weaknesses on the flying. It could set back the businesses potentially growth 6 months.

Now his is basketball so itís not 100% applicable.

King Kong

Rumors I have ďredĒ have mentioned Jalen Harrisís old HC Coach, Anthony Coleman ASU and/or Chris Walker of Cal as potential candidates

Coleman appears to be out as of tonight

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2019/04/17/arizona-state-bobby-hurley-need-assistant-anthony-coleman-leaves-colorado/3502872002/?cid=twitter_azcsports

Also Gus Argendal did not get the Idaho St job

https://hoopdirt.com/looney-named-idaho-state-mens-basketball-coach/
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 11:54:09 pm by King Kong »

Pork Twain

« Reply #368 on: April 18, 2019, 06:11:17 am »

As a DoD contractor, we go through numerous changes as contracts go up for rebid quite often and there is VERY RARELY a time when key members of the old contract are not retained for their knowledge and experience.  What you described is an AWFUL idea and sounds like one from someone that should not be in charge of hiring and firing.

husker71

« Reply #369 on: April 18, 2019, 06:16:23 am »

THE new way to go is get an expert on regular and  grad transfers. That was the 1st thing Hoiberg did

« Reply #370 on: April 18, 2019, 07:13:15 am »

As a DoD contractor, we go through numerous changes as contracts go up for rebid quite often and there is VERY RARELY a time when key members of the old contract are not retained for their knowledge and experience.  What you described is an AWFUL idea and sounds like one from someone that should not be in charge of hiring and firing.

I am not talking about on going contracts. What I am talking about
is a business that FAILED.

If you take over a business that failed and keep the same people
that were responsible for that failure then the chances are that you
will once again fail. Those chances are much greater than 50/50.

You hire people committed to excellence with a proven track record
of success.

Very few coaches when taking over a program that failed kept
 the same staff.

Of course this is Arkansas so maybe a committment to excellence isn't that important.
We have been irrelevant in BB for over two decades after all and no one seems too upset.

« Reply #371 on: April 18, 2019, 07:24:57 am »

You call this kind of drivel discussion?????
On the one hand many of you say " He is the coach let him hire who he wants." But, when it looks like he wants to hire someone that you dislike you want to cry about all of the reasons why it is wrong. AND, the truth is, just as I said earlier, you don't know crap about the qualifications of ANYONE connected with the basketball program!

I don't know crap about anyone's qualifications that is quite true.

However I can look at the results. The results are exactly as I described them.
FAILURE. I fit was not a failure then why was MA fired?

There are only a few on court coaches. Therefore the "blame " for lack of success falls on everyone.

MA was a very loyal man and that is an admirable quality. In the realm of coaching
no one jumped to hire any of his assistants. None of them got offers for head coaching jobs.
There is no coaching tree not even a bush.
He hired Melvin Watkins who was a failure as a head coach with a sub 500% w/l record.
He hired his nephew. He hired a high school coach. He hired another former player with
no coaching experience.
You will have to forgive me but I do not see qualifications to produce a relevant BB team
And the results speak for themselves.
The game has changed it is time to not only catch up but get ahead. But if you are comfortable
with the status quo fine by me.
I just have higher expectations
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 09:00:13 pm by avatar »

Slater

• Varsity
« Reply #372 on: April 18, 2019, 08:47:17 am »

However I can look at the results. The results are exactly as mI described them.

There are only a few on court coaches. Therefore the "blame " for lack of success falls on everyone.

MA was a very loyal man and that is an admirable quality. In the realm of coaching
no one jumped to hire any of his assistants. None of them got offers for head coaching jobs.
He hired Melvin Watkins who was a failure as a head coach with a sub 500% w/l record.
He hired his nephew. He hired a high school coach. He hired another former player with
no coaching experience.
You will have to forgive me but I do not see qualifications to produce a relevant BB team
The game has changed it is time to not only catch up but get ahead. But if you are comfortable

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Tim Harris

Rumors I have ďredĒ have mentioned Jalen Harrisís old HC Coach, Anthony Coleman ASU and/or Chris Walker of Cal as potential candidates

Coleman appears to be out as of tonight

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2019/04/17/arizona-state-bobby-hurley-need-assistant-anthony-coleman-leaves-colorado/3502872002/?cid=twitter_azcsports

Also Gus Argendal did not get the Idaho St job

https://hoopdirt.com/looney-named-idaho-state-mens-basketball-coach/

Lets take all of them

oldhawg

« Reply #374 on: April 18, 2019, 09:18:25 am »

On the other hand,

If a person gets a new boss, in any profession, work behaviors can change.  Not everyone is cut out to be a head coach, but many subordinates will rise to the expectations of their new boss, or subsequently be fired.

IMO no one on Mike Anderson's staff was a loser, but if they remain on staff at Arkansas, expectations will be somewhat different and more demanding.  If they follow Coach Anderson to his new job (wherever that happens to be), their performance will likely remain the same.

latrops

« Reply #375 on: April 18, 2019, 11:36:12 am »

However I can look at the results. The results are exactly as mI described them.

no coaching experience.

I would be concerned if it were TJ, Melvin, or Zimm...but Thurman doesnt bother me.  He wasnt with Anderson until the last couple of years and most of his career has been in international hoops...so I wouldn't assume he is too attached to the system we are trying to move from.  Most of his experience is NOT tied to the fastest 40 minutes of hell.

greenEGnHAWGS

• Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #376 on: April 18, 2019, 12:29:35 pm »

On the other hand,

If a person gets a new boss, in any profession, work behaviors can change.  Not everyone is cut out to be a head coach, but many subordinates will rise to the expectations of their new boss, or subsequently be fired.

IMO no one on Mike Anderson's staff was a loser, but if they remain on staff at Arkansas, expectations will be somewhat different and more demanding.  If they follow Coach Anderson to his new job (wherever that happens to be), their performance will likely remain the same.

Spot on. It is VERY much within the realm of possibility that a guy like Thurman, with s little fire under his butt and some quality directing, could be a huge asset.

I loved Mike the man, but he really did seem to coach energy and effort with the occasional ďX and OĒ. With this style, there really is very little to do as an assistant. I trust Muss to figure out who is worth keeping and not. So Iím not worried, but calling them failures is too much all things considered.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #377 on: April 18, 2019, 01:11:31 pm »

I spent over twenty five year in an industry where managers are rarely kept when new owners or companies took over. Heck part of my job once was being a part of that transition and taking over when things changed. We seldom kept assistant managers long term. That being said each were always evaluated on their own merits. More often than not they were either let go or left on their own after a brief time. Iíve been on both ends of that spectrum.

Smithian

I think we will hear the official hiring's as soon as tomorrow.
Unfounded rumors like this make me miss SnoutSays.

RIP  :'(

Hogmatic

« Reply #379 on: April 18, 2019, 01:24:26 pm »

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Your avatar pic tells us what you are as a fan.

Ironhawg

« Reply #380 on: April 18, 2019, 03:24:32 pm »

Is there any cause for concern that Coach Muss hasn't made more progress filling out his staff?  It's been awhile since we had a coach fill his staff, so I don't remember how long the process usually takes?

Smithian

« Reply #381 on: April 18, 2019, 04:04:45 pm »

Is there any cause for concern that Coach Muss hasn't made more progress filling out his staff?  It's been awhile since we had a coach fill his staff, so I don't remember how long the process usually takes?
Ruta and Thurman are around program. This length of time tells me he is starting at the top of his list and working way day. Ruta and Thurman would be solid assistants but at same time may end up in support roles if Musselman hits top targets.

Porked Tongue, who next to McPherson is most connected active poster, said he wouldn't be surprised by staff announcement today. That tells me staff already lined up or close.

« Reply #382 on: April 18, 2019, 09:10:24 pm »

I have been criticized here for my position on retaining anyone from the old staff.
Fair enough.
Obviously there are a lot of people here who "like" Thurman.
I have been told I don't know crap about his qualifications
Fair enough. I do know the results of the staff he was a member of though.

For those who want to keep him if you know crap about his qualifications
please post them. I really don't understand the fascination, beyond an important three point shot
25 years ago.

If he keeps him then I see it as having two jobs. One coaching the team
the other coaching the coach

King Kong

« Reply #383 on: April 18, 2019, 09:55:53 pm »

I have been criticized here for my position on retaining anyone from the old staff.
Fair enough.
Obviously there are a lot of people here who "like" Thurman.
I have been told I don't know crap about his qualifications
Fair enough. I do know the results of the staff he was a member of though.

For those who want to keep him if you know crap about his qualifications
please post them. I really don't understand the fascination, beyond an important three point shot
25 years ago.

If he keeps him then I see it as having two jobs. One coaching the team
the other coaching the coach

He was an Asst for 3 years at the P5 Level. Went to the tournament twice in those seasons. Landed Reggie Chaney. Was responsible for team shooting in which one season his team was the first team in the SEC in over a decade to shoot over 40% from 3 in conference play. In another had 2 players hit over 70 3ís with one making 113 tying the SEC Freshman record.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #384 on: April 18, 2019, 10:04:55 pm »

He was an Asst for 3 years at the P5 Level. Went to the tournament twice in those seasons. Landed Reggie Chaney. Was responsible for team shooting in which one season his team was the first team in the SEC in over a decade to shoot over 40% from 3 in conference play. In another had 2 players hit over 70 3ís with one making 113 tying the SEC Freshman record.

And what does CEM love? The 3 point shot, he has analytics showing it is the best shot in basketball. Also Scotty played in the CBA when CEM was there and in Europe so he has an understanding of what CEM wants to do.

He is a link from the old staff to the new which will hopefully help the players with the new system. He knows all of the AAU and HS coaches in the state which will help with recruiting.

Hawg Red

« Reply #385 on: April 18, 2019, 10:08:02 pm »

And what does CEM love? The 3 point shot, he has analytics showing it is the best shot in basketball. Also Scotty played in the CBA when CEM was there and in Europe so he has an understanding of what CEM wants to do.

He is a link from the old staff to the new which will hopefully help the players with the new system. He knows all of the AAU and HS coaches in the state which will help with recruiting.

Exactly. Scotty makes sense but will have to earn his keep or Muss will make a change. Easy to see why Thurman makes for a good holdover.

Pork Twain

« Reply #386 on: April 19, 2019, 06:44:11 am »

I am not talking about on going contracts. What I am talking about
is a business that FAILED.

If you take over a business that failed and keep the same people
that were responsible for that failure then the chances are that you
will once again fail. Those chances are much greater than 50/50.

You hire people committed to excellence with a proven track record
of success.

Very few coaches when taking over a program that failed kept
 the same staff.

Of course this is Arkansas so maybe a committment to excellence isn't that important.
We have been irrelevant in BB for over two decades after all and no one seems too upset.
Contract changes still apply...pretty sure most of the businesses you speak of are ongoing.

Nobody is saying keep all the staff but keeping one guy is a good idea, if the fit is right.

JackJohnson

« Reply #387 on: April 19, 2019, 07:11:08 am »

Exactly. Scotty makes sense but will have to earn his keep or Muss will make a change. Easy to see why Thurman makes for a good holdover.

Yes...but you also need to have a broader view of it as well.  You have to look at it from CEM's point of view.  It is easier to not hire him then to have to fire him if he isn't working out

gmarv

« Reply #388 on: April 19, 2019, 07:37:16 am »

Yes...but you also need to have a broader view of it as well.  You have to look at it from CEM's point of view.  It is easier to not hire him then to have to fire him if he isn't working out
That would definitely be a reason not to hire him.Now CEM will weight that against the pluses Scotty will and can bring.Lunney has been a plus in my mind to each transition in football so maybe Thurman can be that guy.Guess we will see.

Hawg Red

« Reply #389 on: April 19, 2019, 08:02:35 am »

Musselman comes from professional basketball. He himself has been fired twice in the NBA. Don't think that is a concern for him. And that's a good thing for us. We don't want a coach that is concerned with having to make a tough decision.

« Reply #390 on: April 19, 2019, 08:35:48 am »

In three years landed one player? okay
First I heard he was responsible for the team shooting.
He didn't do much for Gabe, Jalen or Adrio and he didn't do much for free throw shooting.
That's the thing about stats, they are easy to cherry pick.

btw Joe, Barford and Macon came in as great shooters. That is why they were recruited

Smithian

« Reply #391 on: April 19, 2019, 12:52:36 pm »

I think A&M, Alabama, and Vandy have full staffs now.

This delay is odd.

CalHog

« Reply #392 on: April 19, 2019, 01:27:48 pm »

I think A&M, Alabama, and Vandy have full staffs now.

This delay is odd.

No, he already knows who his staff is going to be!  My opinion!!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 01:52:40 pm by CalHog »

raz1965

« Reply #393 on: April 19, 2019, 01:56:27 pm »

Muss may very well be waiting on his son to finish graduate school, do not be surprised if he is one of the 3  assistants on the bench, it was reported that his son an Ruta were the 2 taken to the meeting with HY during the hire process. EM is the head coach an has likely been given the green light to hire whom he choses. Fortunately fans votes are not part of the process.

King Kong

« Reply #394 on: April 19, 2019, 02:00:43 pm »

In three years landed one player? okay
First I heard he was responsible for the team shooting.
He didn't do much for Gabe, Jalen or Adrio and he didn't do much for free throw shooting.
That's the thing about stats, they are easy to cherry pick.

btw Joe, Barford and Macon came in as great shooters. That is why they were recruited

Barford did not come as a great shooter. Shot 26% his first season from 3. After an offseason with Scotty shot 43%

Adrio Baliey shot 31% from the free throw line as a Freshman. Last year 63%

Gabe 20% from the FT line and 47%. But please continue to push your false narrative.

Finally, he hasnít recruited 3 full offseasons. You saying he has only landed 1 player in 3 season is more ignorant bullcrap you spit out.He has landed other players like Brachen Hazen. Chaney is an elite out of state talent. You have to be good to land a Chaney. Finally, he is the main Asst recruiter on all theses Grad Transfers we are currently on.

King Kong

« Reply #395 on: April 19, 2019, 02:01:34 pm »

Muss may very well be waiting on his son to finish graduate school, do not be surprised if he is one of the 3  assistants on the bench, it was reported that his son an Ruta were the 2 taken to the meeting with HY during the hire process. EM is the head coach an has likely been given the green light to hire whom he choses. Fortunately fans votes are not part of the process.

You continue to push this. Itís not happening. Maybe a few years from now. But his son will not be a full time coach next year. He will be a GA at Arkansas next year

raz1965

« Reply #396 on: April 19, 2019, 02:05:56 pm »

If EM keeps Thurman an it appears he will then why would one disagree, most posters have no clue of Thurmans job performance as they have not been behind the scenes to observe, an complaints are just simple assumptions an stereotypes from the past system.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #397 on: April 19, 2019, 02:32:09 pm »

Let muss hire who he wants. If he wants to keep Thurman it is his call

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
  • Formerly posting as Snout Says
« Reply #398 on: April 19, 2019, 02:51:21 pm »

Zimmerman is out as far as being an assistant.  I expect he might find other employment around the UA or in NWA.  Look for him to be back on the radio.

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #399 on: April 19, 2019, 02:59:26 pm »

Zimmerman is out as far as being an assistant.  I expect he might find other employment around the UA or in NWA.  Look for him to be back on the radio.

Nooooo
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas