General Sports Discussion > NBA Board

Rumor: Bill Self to coach Bulls next season

Pages: (1/1)

davehog:

Just read NBC Sports website that there is a fairly substantial rumor that Bill Self will leave KU and be the coach of the Chicago Bulls next season.

If true, who would be the most logical candidates for the KU job?  I wonder if this could potentially threaten the Arkansas job search?

The KU job obviously ranks very high but perhaps the looming threat of NCAA/FBI investigation may drop that a few notches.  If this is true, it's probably a sign that there is an impending storm in Lawrence.

I just wish Bill Self would consider coming south to Fayetteville as opposed going north to Chicago. 

Hawg Red:

Christopher Beard?

Formula Hog:

That will cause a big ripple...

AugustaHog:

Gregg Marshall?


wedge56:

But...Gandolf said...

moses_007:

They'd land Marshall for sure then.

Spektre:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with the size of the impact... Jeff Long will be doing the hiring.

OtterHog™:


--- Quote from: Spektre on April 05, 2019, 02:59:24 pm ---Let's not get ahead of ourselves with the size of the impact... Jeff Long will be doing the hiring.

--- End quote ---

+1

All depends on who has written him a letter

bjeffersonhog:

Self will hide out in the NBA until any sanctions coming his way are over then he will slither his way back into the college basketball world.

Paul:


--- Quote from: bjeffersonhog on April 05, 2019, 03:01:37 pm ---Self will hide out in the NBA until any sanctions coming his way are over then he will slither his way back into the college basketball world.

--- End quote ---
  Yep.  One step ahead of the posse

Calling All Hogs:


--- Quote from: Spektre on April 05, 2019, 02:59:24 pm ---Let's not get ahead of ourselves with the size of the impact... Jeff Long will be doing the hiring.

--- End quote ---
+1

jjdlc:

I would think Marshall would be one of their top targets.  Of course Beard could be, but there would be a lot of upside to Marshall for them.

King Kong:

Billy Donovan, Gregg Marshall, and Chris Beard

GlassofSwine:


--- Quote from: OtterHog™ on April 05, 2019, 02:59:47 pm ---+1

All depends on who has written him a letter

--- End quote ---

Yep. I'm going to write him one now to let him know I appreciate him.

Kevin:

smart move

USChog:

I love it, now we are getting rumors about other teams coaching vacancies.

fullfan:

Read that’s not how it is supposed to go down.

Pig in the Pokey:


--- Quote from: davehog on April 05, 2019, 02:54:51 pm ---Just read NBC Sports website that there is a fairly substantial rumor that Bill Self will leave KU and be the coach of the Chicago Bulls next season.

If true, who would be the most logical candidates for the KU job?  I wonder if this could potentially threaten the Arkansas job search?

The KU job obviously ranks very high but perhaps the looming threat of NCAA/FBI investigation may drop that a few notches.  If this is true, it's probably a sign that there is an impending storm in Lawrence.

I just wish Bill Self would consider coming south to Fayetteville as opposed going north to Chicago.

--- End quote ---
Billy Donovan to Kansas.

Trading the BS for some BD.

Hugo Bezdek:


--- Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 05, 2019, 03:20:16 pm ---Billy Donovan to Kansas.

Trading the BS for some BD.

--- End quote ---

Jeff Long fired his boy Pelphrey. Don't see BD to Kansas.

Razorbackers:


--- Quote from: Hawg Red on April 05, 2019, 02:56:19 pm ---Christopher Beard?

--- End quote ---

if the Kansas job comes open it will be beard or donovan.

Sawyer:

If Self were to leave, I don’t think either Beard or Marshall would be interested.

Marshall seems like the kind of guy who would bristle at the suggestion that kansas is a better job than wherever he’s coaching. He’d rather make WSU the in-state power than jump to ku.

Beard, on the other hand, just won the Big 12 at Texas Tech. He’s proven he can beat kansas with Self. What’s his motivation to join them when he can just keep beating them?

Not that I think those guys won’t take a different job ever, but I don’t think ku would be appealing to either right now.

pghawg1:

Just our luck, Jeffy will have someone hired as coach before we do.😀😀😀

Razorbackers:


--- Quote from: Sawyer on April 05, 2019, 03:48:01 pm ---If Self were to leave, I don’t think either Beard or Marshall would be interested.

Marshall seems like the kind of guy who would bristle at the suggestion that kansas is a better job than wherever he’s coaching. He’d rather make WSU the in-state power than jump to ku.

Beard, on the other hand, just won the Big 12 at Texas Tech. He’s proven he can beat kansas with Self. What’s his motivation to join them when he can just keep beating them?

Not that I think those guys won’t take a different job ever, but I don’t think ku would be appealing to either right now.

--- End quote ---

I love you, Hogville.


elkhog:


--- Quote from: moses_007 on April 05, 2019, 02:58:53 pm ---They'd land Marshall for sure then.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, they aren't worried about paying BB coach more than FB coach.

Hugo Bezdek:


--- Quote from: pghawg1 on April 05, 2019, 04:02:49 pm ---Just our luck, Jeffy will have someone hired as coach before we do.😀😀😀

--- End quote ---

Mike Anderson is available.

Sawyer:


--- Quote from: Razorbackers on April 05, 2019, 04:03:49 pm ---I love you, Hogville.

--- End quote ---

Following a likely hall of fame coach with a national title on his resume means expectations will be sky high.

The FBI is poking around.

Their current schools are both in a good position, and both can also pretty much pick whatever open job they want and name their price.

In theory, of course ku is a better job than Wichita State or Texas Tech. But right now, I don’t think either would want to make the move.

But kansas alum and Topeka native Mark Turgeon probably would jump at the opportunity. I think he’d do well there, too.

DuckAndCover:

If Self were to leave, and there was even a rumor that KU's AD was talking to Marshall, the KU fanbase would burn Lawrence to the ground.

HardCore:


--- Quote from: Spektre on April 05, 2019, 02:59:24 pm ---Let's not get ahead of ourselves with the size of the impact... Jeff Long will be doing the hiring.

--- End quote ---

After 1 year with Long around, Self leaving skid marks?

ballhog™:

Wait, I thought I read where Self was coming here.

ballinhog:

Only thing I think when hearing that rumor is I wonder if Issac McBride would get out of his LOI with them and maybe our new coach would recruit him.

TeufelHog:

Bill Self pulling a "Pete Carroll."  I could see that.

RaisinHog:

Kansas would get who they want ..duh it's a top 3 job some of you people are crazy

lumphog:


--- Quote from: Spektre on April 05, 2019, 02:59:24 pm ---Let's not get ahead of ourselves with the size of the impact... Jeff Long will be doing the hiring.

--- End quote ---

Yep.... we’re good

Hugo Bezdek:

Long hired Jamie Dixon at Pitt. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the direction KU goes.

Pig in the Pokey:


--- Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on April 06, 2019, 04:28:14 pm ---Long hired Jamie Dixon at Pitt. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the direction KU goes.

--- End quote ---
Good call, Hugo. I bet you are damn right.

k.c.hawg:

There is nothing threatening or incriminating Bill Self. Sworn testimony actually was he was totally unaware. He would never consider the Bulls unless they land Zion and even then it is 98% unlikely.

thebignasty:


--- Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 06, 2019, 04:52:57 pm ---Good call, Hugo. I bet you are damn right.

--- End quote ---

Long will find himself looking again in a hurry if Self runs to the NBA and they don't do better than Jaime Dixon.

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version