Non Sports Forums > Hunting, Fishing and other Outdoor Sports

White bass

Pages: (1/1)

bphi11ips:

I have a football player who wants to know if the white bass are running up the White River and where the best spots are to bank fish.

Any idea or suggestions?

markmta33:

I heard they are. I have also seen some folks saning for crawdads. I would try blue springs and twin bridges.


BroyledNutts:

I took a drive by yesterday to the usual haunts ... disturbingly quiet. No one out fishing, no boats on the water, no activity at all. Drove over twin bridges, a few people fishing, but not nearly enough to say the run is on. With the heavy rains we've had in the past week or two the water is really off, both in color and temp - river temps have dropped back into the upper 40s in most places, and there's a heavy stain to the water ... which, after this mornings T-storms, will again be pure mud - that's not the right ingredients for success.

I have a couple spots for the guys if you still need them. I don't guarantee success, but they've produced more times than not when the run is on - a couple times to the tune of a foul tempered striper or two - and are generally easy to walk to. I won't describe how to get to them here, as the directions are lengthy - PM me.

Dillar Dog:

We're about to get our good run here in central AR.  I have a couple of good spots if anyone wants to go.

twistitup:

It's almost there--walleye have been decent in the white and I've seen some nice stripers caught on the troll.....but the whites are not quite there in large numbers yet. Water is nasty after these rains...it will get going next week if it warms up nicely and doesn't flood

zane:


--- Quote from: Dillar Dog on April 05, 2019, 07:31:55 am ---We're about to get our good run here in central AR.  I have a couple of good spots if anyone wants to go.

--- End quote ---

Tell me when and where

Iíll bring some cold drinks

Dillar Dog:


--- Quote from: zane on April 05, 2019, 09:55:17 pm ---Tell me when and where

Iíll bring some cold drinks

--- End quote ---

You're around little rock?

Rivers are going to be up pretty bad the next few days. I'll check a couple of spots this coming week and get back to you if they're good

Dillar Dog:



This was some we got into on maumelle.  Caught 76 in just under an hour.

zane:


--- Quote from: Dillar Dog on April 06, 2019, 08:44:35 pm ---You're around little rock?

Rivers are going to be up pretty bad the next few days. I'll check a couple of spots this coming week and get back to you if they're good

--- End quote ---


Yah- Benton


Sounds like some fast action!

Dillar Dog:

Checked one spot earlier. Not yet.

Hopefully sometime this week they'll start to show up and get busy.

twistitup:

White River arm of Beaver is full of big females....get 'em!

BroyledNutts:


--- Quote from: twistitup on April 08, 2019, 04:56:21 pm ---White River arm of Beaver is full of big females....get 'em!

--- End quote ---

How far up did you probe?

twistitup:


--- Quote from: BroyledNutts on April 08, 2019, 08:16:38 pm ---How far up did you probe?

--- End quote ---


All the way to 45

From 412 to 45 is good fishing, just tonight closer to twin bridges ...females- I eat the fish and the neighbor likes the eggs

Dark Helmet Hog:

Is the Dollar Hole still open to the public?

twistitup:


--- Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on April 08, 2019, 10:01:42 pm ---Is the Dollar Hole still open to the public?

--- End quote ---

no...it went up to the two dollar hole, then ended up getting closed because people wouldn't quit trashing it.

Dark Helmet Hog:


--- Quote from: twistitup on April 09, 2019, 06:04:16 am ---no...it went up to the two dollar hole, then ended up getting closed because people wouldn't quit trashing it.

--- End quote ---

Well that stinks but I can't blame them at all if people can't be decent enough to clean up after themselves. That was an outstanding spot to put in with a small boat and troll for white bass. I've also caught some very large hybrid there too.



BroyledNutts:


--- Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on April 09, 2019, 10:01:29 am ---Well that stinks but I can't blame them at all if people can't be decent enough to clean up after themselves. That was an outstanding spot to put in with a small boat and troll for white bass. I've also caught some very large hybrid there too.



--- End quote ---

Dark, you can put a boat in now at twin bridges, ya know ... although the ramp can be chaos at times ... also beaver shores is just down river a small distance.
A lot of my youth was spent at dollar hole. Lots of brain cells fell victim to spring break camping there.
We always policed ourselves and picked up around, whether it was ours or not. It's a shame others didn't appreciate the opportunity there.

I may go to Habberton and sniff around if the water will clear a little more. You want em, Twist, if I run into some big females?

twistitup:


--- Quote from: BroyledNutts on April 09, 2019, 12:13:08 pm ---Dark, you can put a boat in now at twin bridges, ya know ... although the ramp can be chaos at times ... also beaver shores is just down river a small distance.
A lot of my youth was spent at dollar hole. Lots of brain cells fell victim to spring break camping there.
We always policed ourselves and picked up around, whether it was ours or not. It's a shame others didn't appreciate the opportunity there.

I may go to Habberton and sniff around if the water will clear a little more. You want em, Twist, if I run into some big females?

--- End quote ---

You know it...

ATU HOG:

Donít have a boat

Tell me where to go, what to use and how to fish it. I live in springdale

BroyledNutts:


--- Quote from: twistitup on April 09, 2019, 01:27:37 pm ---You know it...

--- End quote ---

I'm going to start probing over the next week or so - If I hit more than just a couple I'll shout.

aristotle:


--- Quote from: twistitup on April 08, 2019, 08:59:37 pm ---

All the way to 45

From 412 to 45 is good fishing, just tonight closer to twin bridges ...females- I eat the fish and the neighbor likes the eggs

--- End quote ---

Twin Bridges was insanely packed last Saturday. We went down stream a bit and parked on the side of the road near Habberton. Dragged kayaks to the water from there. Caught a few bass and some decent crappie by those bluffs downstream of Twin Bridges.

BroyledNutts:


--- Quote from: aristotle on April 11, 2019, 03:29:22 pm ---Twin Bridges was insanely packed last Saturday. We went down stream a bit and parked on the side of the road near Habberton. Dragged kayaks to the water from there. Caught a few bass and some decent crappie by those bluffs downstream of Twin Bridges.

--- End quote ---

Kayaks are brave (or suicidal) in that area when the run is in mania mode - boats running full out up and down, passing each other - particularly weekends. Hope you guys stay safe.

twistitup:


--- Quote from: aristotle on April 11, 2019, 03:29:22 pm ---Twin Bridges was insanely packed last Saturday. We went down stream a bit and parked on the side of the road near Habberton. Dragged kayaks to the water from there. Caught a few bass and some decent crappie by those bluffs downstream of Twin Bridges.

--- End quote ---

From Neils Bluff to Twin Bridges, it good fishing this time of the year - can't go wrong. Twin Bridges loading ramp gets crazy - that's for sure. I like to unload at the Beav ramp and go from there.

aristotle:


--- Quote from: twistitup on April 11, 2019, 04:56:40 pm ---From Neils Bluff to Twin Bridges, it good fishing this time of the year - can't go wrong. Twin Bridges loading ramp gets crazy - that's for sure. I like to unload at the Beav ramp and go from there.

--- End quote ---

Bryce/412?

twistitup:


--- Quote from: aristotle on April 11, 2019, 05:26:55 pm ---Bryce/412?

--- End quote ---

Beav o Rama ramp

aristotle:


--- Quote from: twistitup on April 11, 2019, 06:34:04 pm ---Beav o Rama ramp

--- End quote ---

Oh I gotcha

micali:

I use to to go to war eagle wheb I was a kid and can't stand going by the twin bridges. It's been so long since I've been white fishing. 

jdelo77:


--- Quote from: twistitup on April 09, 2019, 06:04:16 am ---no...it went up to the two dollar hole, then ended up getting closed because people wouldn't quit trashing it.

--- End quote ---

Two dollar got shut down ? Iím out of the loop thatís for sure ...

twistitup:


--- Quote from: jdelo77 on April 20, 2019, 09:10:46 pm ---Two dollar got shut down ? Iím out of the loop thatís for sure ...

--- End quote ---

yes

jdelo77:

I knew the property had been sold but didnít know it got shut down ..

HognitiveDissonance:

Ah, the white bass run near Twin Bridges. Brings back memories.

I had some spots to trek to on foot. Have had some memorable outings out there in April.

I remember one trip catching 87 white bass one afternoon down there. Upstream from Twin Bridges, park and walk through some pastures.

There was no limit at the time on Beaver Lake.

Have had some good times on the Maumelle River in central Ark. There is a limit there I believe.

Used to park at dusk and walk through the woods back there and fish at night. Caught 47 one evening from about 8-11pm.

You gotta love white bass. There is nothing subtle about it. When they hit your lure, it's like a freight train.

I've heard some great things about the Bull Shoals run, like the fingers that stretch into Arkansas. I've heard the area between the Beaver Dam and Bull Shoals lake can be great.

Bigfoot:

White bass love small shad! I was just watching this video the other day on YouTube. Richard Gene the Fishing Machine tore into a mess of white bass on this particular occasion. If you haven't seen any of his videos, you are missing out! His channel is a real treat! The best fishing channel on YouTube in my opinion. He shares some really good techniques and suggestions.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oNN6yasdLA
Go fishin' when ya can, 'cause it's gooooood fer ya!  8)

Elmo!!  ;D

Bigfoot:

Another video from the Machine. After catching a bass and a white bass back to back in the pouring rain he goes on to mention that bass and white bass work together to herd up shad to feed on them. Another good video.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=U92BEpeV9M8

Bigfoot:

Catching white bass while crappie fishing.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7HlkdapJhM

twistitup:

I've been trolling through schooling shad catching white bass in the past couple weeks. Beaver lake is FULL of them and I love to eat 'em.

I'm trolling for crappie, but it never fails that I catch some white bass too...and they do love some shad.

hogbud:

Thinking Twist is secret crappie hammer

jkstock04:


--- Quote from: Bigfoot on August 02, 2019, 06:05:30 am ---Catching white bass while crappie fishing.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7HlkdapJhM
--- End quote ---
This guy is my favorite...I watch more Richard Gene YouTube videos than anything else on there. He is one hell of a fisherman always makes it look easy.

jkstock04:


--- Quote from: twistitup on August 02, 2019, 06:06:48 am ---I've been trolling through schooling shad catching white bass in the past couple weeks. Beaver lake is FULL of them and I love to eat 'em.

I'm trolling for crappie, but it never fails that I catch some white bass too...and they do love some shad.

--- End quote ---
If you don't mind sharing what is your method for trolling for crappie on Beaver? I have hammered them the last couple of years in March-April but when the spawn goes away I consider it the dead sea.

Are you just slow trolling small or medium crank baits that dive 5 or so feet? How deep of water?

twistitup:

5-10 ft deep depending on the day....I slightly adjust troll speed depending on the day. Small cranks ...some days I love white cranks...this last few times its been chart w red eye and red hooks

Some days I catch trolling over deep brush - yesterday evening they were crushing the warm sandy side of the river - no rhyme or reason but when you find the color and location switch all rods to that color and focus on the right areas
 
I will make a big circle back the same hot spot and sometimes catch 6-8 slabs in the same area... just troll back over the hotspot

Channel edges can be good to....trolling like an s over the edges instead of just a straight troll

Bigfoot:


--- Quote from: jkstock04 on August 06, 2019, 04:40:25 pm ---I watch more Richard Gene YouTube videos than anything else on there.

--- End quote ---

Same here.

markmta33:

Twist, Is the run on yet? Heard the walleye have been decent. 
 

hawgon:

My dad and I, or whoever else went with him, were catching the crap out of them back in December and early January.  Then it started raining and the river as been up ever since.

But not on the White River.

porque:


--- Quote from: markmta33 on March 13, 2020, 10:11:46 am ---Twist, Is the run on yet? Heard the walleye have been decent. 
 

--- End quote ---

Twist hasn't been on Hogville since last August

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version