• 10,543,130 Posts
• 415,506 Topics
• 23,807 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Didn't see this as a possible landing spot.  (Read 2703 times)

rtr

Re: Didn't see this as a possible landing spot.
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2019, 11:16:26 pm »

Well sure there is talent in NY. That brings into question why so many players on Mullenís team was NOT from NY. Heck we even had a good player from NY, Kenny Hutchinson.
Kenny Hutchinson brings to mind the end of the Sutton era and all issues that entailed.

oldhawg

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2019, 11:17:00 pm »

In the last ten years St. John's has been to the NCAA tournament three times and the NIT three times. 

In the last ten years Arkansas has been to the NCAA tournament three times and the NIT twice.

St. John's isn't a basketball waste land.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2019, 11:19:17 pm »

MA will kill it at St. Johnís. And as much as I like Arkansas, NYC is much easier to sell. Will be in a fertile recruiting region. Melvin will not be joining him. TJ will be with him according to what Iím getting. Then the AAU guy, who is coach Kís nephew and a fixture in the AAU/NY circle. A lot of prep schools very close, as well as DC, NJ, Connecticut, and VA. Still will tap into the south and Midwest as well. Easier access to the big city from most places. And yes, being let go from Ark poured gasoline on his fire. Heís ready to go get it.

I lived in VA. Itís not close to Queens. Just because itís there doesnít make it a easy sell. Ask yourself why so many players for Mullens were not from NY. Besides there are a lot of schools they have to recruit against in the upper east coast.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 06:50:42 am by Inhogswetrust »

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2019, 11:20:12 pm »

In the last ten years St. John's has been to the NCAA tournament three times and the NIT three times. 

In the last ten years Arkansas has been to the NCAA tournament three times and the NIT twice.

St. John's isn't a basketball waste land.

Itís not a wasteland and they have a decent history but it isnít a basketball paradise either.

rtr

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2019, 11:20:57 pm »

I wish Mike the best.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2019, 11:22:50 pm »

Kenny Hutchinson brings to mind the end of the Sutton era and all issues that entailed.

My point was there are a LOT of players there that go elsewhere. In NY itís all about the pros and college basketball takes a back seat to numerous pro teams of various sports.

rtr

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2019, 11:27:33 pm »

My point was there are a LOT of players there that go elsewhere. In NY itís all about the pros and college basketball takes a back seat to numerous pro teams of various sports.
Oh I know, I was just reminiscing about some not so good times.

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2019, 11:36:26 pm »

It's a weird fit. I figured he'd go to a place needing a full rebuild. But que sera, sera

oldhawg

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2019, 11:50:53 pm »

Itís not a wasteland and they have a decent history but it isnít a basketball paradise either.

Although I do agree with you, they have a substantial history of success historically; thirty trips to the NCAA tournament compared to Arkansas's thirty-two. 

They have not won a national championship, but have advanced beyond the first round eighteen times. 

The Red Storm has an all time winning percentage of .648 compared to Arkansas's .639.

IMO Coach Anderson will be about as successful at St.John's as he was at Arkansas.  That may be enough to keep their fans happy, and I wish him luck in New York.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2019, 12:45:07 am »

I lived in VA. Itís not close to Queens. Just because itís there doesnít make it a easy sell. Ask yourself why so many players for Mullenís was not from NY. Besides there are a lot of schools they have to recruit against in the upper east coast.

I mean JFK airport isnít NWA Regional. Much easier and accessible to get to.

razorpimp

« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2019, 04:23:13 am »

Well it will piss me off like other posters if he takes recruiting seriously and plays the game there unlike what he did here....maybe he purposely didnít try very hard here...who the hell knows but it looks like it

FineAsSwine

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2019, 06:23:57 am »

Well it will piss me off like other posters if he takes recruiting seriously and plays the game there unlike what he did here....maybe he purposely didnít try very hard here...who the hell knows but it looks like it

Looks like he is seriously considering hiring  a hired gun, some big AAU guy from up there named Andy Borman. Borman is Coach Kís nephew and played on Dukeís 2004 national championship team and would bring instant street cred.

When CMA gets a slice of top talent up there lookout, thereís gonna be a severe Red Storm warning across the US.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 06:46:06 am by FineAsSwine »

Hawg Red

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2019, 06:49:54 am »

And if he hires a big AAU guy as an assistantówho knows what could happen...  Had he hired a big AAU guy hereóit may have happened at Arkansas...

Why are you explaining something to me that I already stated in this thread?

jgphillips3

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2019, 07:10:26 am »

This is pretty much exactly me.  If he was ďtoo goodĒ for all that here and screwed us over by not playing the game, but then does up there, Iíll be pissed.  If he does what he did here and has the same bizarrely squeaky clean recruiting rules as he did here, then Iíll be happy for him and cheer him on.  Hell, he would still be coach here if he just been more flexible.  Not to mention we would have had much better results as well.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2019, 07:12:04 am »

Wouldnít piss me off. CMA loved the UA too much to play that game here and kept us out of the FBIís crosshairs. Now it seems, the gloves may be off. If so, St. Johnís is about to make a big comeback.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2019, 07:19:18 am »

A few guys CMA recruited while here are at St. Johnís including Ian Steere and Sedee Keita. Plus, Mustapha Heron from Auburn in on that team. They have some talent already.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2019, 07:20:34 am »

I donít care what he does at St. Johnís.

He is just another college basketball coach, now

I care about the hogs and our new coach.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2019, 07:33:18 am »

I donít care what he does at St. Johnís.

He is just another college basketball coach, now

I care about the hogs and our new coach.

Looks like you care because you made back to back posts in both threads.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2019, 07:37:29 am »

Looks like you care because you made back to back posts in both threads.

I care that this is a Razorback board.

Hawg Red

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2019, 07:57:30 am »

Same here. Why did he not fight for us? For the most part, Razorback fans were very patient with Mike Anderson and gave him practically every opportunity to make a tournament run here or at least establish a program on the verge of being a consistent tournament threat. If he had made a change on his staff after the season that saw a big time AAU guy coming on staff, I think that would have satisfied both Hunter Yurachek and the fans. The more I think about this sentiment that he is motivated now by his firing, it pisses me off. It pisses me off that it took him getting fired and feeling like he was wronged to look at himself in the mirror and re-evaluate what he needs to do to be successful. A truly great coach/successful person is constantly doing. You can tell Eric Musselman is constantly doing that. I don't doubt that, if given time, Mike Anderson could have some success at St. John's. Especially if he's bringing really good talent like you would think he would with an AAU guy like that on staff. But if he loved Arkansas so much, why didn't he do that for us? Most of us really did want Mike to get us to the next level.

HoopS

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2019, 08:04:41 am »

I think heís got a chance to do good up there.

rtr

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2019, 08:07:46 am »

I mean JFK airport isn’t NWA Regional. Much easier and accessible to get to.
And a much bigger hassle to use. Besides, most domestic flights go through Laguardia which is slightly better.  O'Hare is the worst though.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2019, 08:10:07 am »

Lol at the folks who thought CMA would only get a mid-major job. He is about to take his fourth team to the tourney on a bigger stage at the Garden in the Big Apple. I love redemption and second chance stories and it couldnít have happened to a nicer guy.

Hawg Red

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2019, 08:17:23 am »

Lol at the folks who thought CMA would only get a mid-major job. He is about to take his fourth team to the tourney on a bigger stage at the Garden in the Big Apple. I love redemption and second chance stories and it couldnít have happened to a nicer guy.

The end result is as you say -- he likely takes his 4th program to the NCAA tournament. However, it took a massive cluster up there in NYC for him to get that call. They wanted Iona's coach over him and Porter Moser over him. Ouch. He's their Pelphrey in that sense. Obviously a much better coach and obviously coming with more bankable results. I hope he does well because I like Mike, but there clearly wasn't much of a market for him this coaching cycle.

Fan701

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2019, 08:24:26 am »

I'm not at all surprised that CMA landed at a big-time job.  The AP poll of top 100 programs has St. John's at 27, with Arkansas just a few steps below at 31, so one could argue it's approximately a lateral move.  He's walking into a mess, though, and that's why some other coaches shied away from this job.  A lot of the players, including the best, are leaving.  He needs to convince Mustapha Heron, first of all, to stay.  Spring signing period is here, and there's not a lot of time to improve a poor 2019 recruiting class.  I wouldn't be surprised if he has his first losing season next year.  The Big East is a tough conference.

Boared Out Of My Mind

« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2019, 08:25:01 am »

Feel the same. Like WTH?!? Why couldn't he get rid of Melvin's old useless butt when he was here and get a bonafide recruiter? That would totally changed the game for him. He was sooo mediocre in everything, so I'm glad to see him go and get an actual coach in here. But if he goes somewhere else and does really well, it's gonna sting a little and piss a lotta people off because he had every opportunity to do well here

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2019, 08:32:45 am »

Funny you say that...

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/1119053583851380736

I don't get it. Where was this kind of competitiveness when he was here? Sad.

Perhaps this isnít his choice.  (Havenít read through thread to see if discussed)

BuddyHog71

« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2019, 08:35:17 am »

Mike will do whatever it takes within reason to make sure he does better at his new job and learn from the mistakes made at his old job.  I would not be surprised to see him win big there.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2019, 09:00:36 am »

Mike will do whatever it takes within reason to make sure he does better at his new job and learn from the mistakes made at his old job.  I would not be surprised to see him win big there.

If he hires Borman, the bear better leave town.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2019, 11:33:38 am »

True colors are coming out. Iím happy for him and if thereís one thing heís good at is reviving excitement and winning into dormat programs. Hogs are fine. MA deserves this opportunity.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2019, 12:05:38 pm »

True colors are coming out. Iím happy for him and if thereís one thing heís good at is reviving excitement and winning into dormat programs. Hogs are fine. MA deserves this opportunity.

Yeah, if he didn't didn't take a job they would call him a lazy good for nothing. He then gets a good job and they say, well that place sucks! Haha. the hate is so transparent that's why I'm glad Hunter made his play which may work out better for Anderson.

Peter Porker

• All-American Hogvillian
  • It's skin deep.
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2019, 12:17:58 pm »

Yeah, if he didn't didn't take a job they would call him a lazy good for nothing. He then gets a good job and they say, well that place sucks! Haha. the hate is so transparent that's why I'm glad Hunter made his play which may work out better for Anderson.

Certainly worked out better for Arkansas.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2019, 12:20:41 pm »

Yep, only Kentucky has had more noncon and conference wins in the past five years. Should be so easy to improve on that. I would be ecstatic to see it.

Peter Porker

• It's skin deep.
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2019, 02:25:25 pm »

Yep, only Kentucky has had more noncon and conference wins in the past five years. Should be so easy to improve on that. I would be ecstatic to see it.

Crap stat. The rest of the SEC decided basketball was important and started hiring great coaches since then. Had he been here another 5 years that stat would not be the case and you know this. HY had the foresight to see this and did the right thing by Arkansas in getting rid of Mediocre Mike.

holeinthewall

• Hogvillian
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2019, 03:09:10 pm »

Incredible recruiting base.  Mullen flopped down the stretch. St Johns started the year strong. 

You people have an overinflated perception of the national  scene and Arkansas.  No one wants to come to the middle of nowhere to play anymore.

hogwood

• Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2019, 05:11:54 pm »

Incredible recruiting base.  Mullen flopped down the stretch. St Johns started the year strong. 

You people have an overinflated perception of the national  scene and Arkansas.  No one wants to come to the middle of nowhere to play anymore.

St. John's roster actually ain't that bad. They may be able to do something soon.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2019, 08:32:07 am »

Haha we will see. Still havenít seen Musselman more than 4 years at a school. Who knows if he can build a consistent steady winner.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2019, 09:06:41 am »

Nobody wants to come play in the middle of nowhere huh. Oh really? Remind us again where Texas Tech is or Kansas or many other schools that have good teams and get good players.
Players will and have always gone all over the country to play for a certain team or coach. I guess Arkansas never has had any players from major metro areas like New York. No wait just from New York weíve had Kenny Hutchinson and Kareem Reid. From Chicago weíve had Tony Brown and Darrell Walker. From Massachusetts weíve had Pat Bradley. The center on our NC team Darnell Robinson was from Oakland. Weíve had players from all over the country and so have other teams in the middle of so-called nowhere.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 12:24:15 pm by Inhogswetrust »

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2019, 02:56:33 pm »

Nobody wants to come play in the middle of nowhere huh. Oh really? Remind us again where Texas Tech is or Kansas or many other schools that have good teams and get good players.
Players will and have always gone all over the country to play for a certain team or coach. I guess Arkansas never has had any players from major metro areas like New York. No wait just from New York weíve had Kenny Hutchinson and Kareem Reid. From Chicago weíve had Tony Brown and Darrell Walker. From Massachusetts weíve had Pat Bradley. The center on our NC team Darnell Robinson was from Oakland. Weíve had players from all over the country and so have other teams in the middle of so-called nowhere.

Those guys came to play for a COACH. Not for Fayetteville let me assure you.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas