• 10,467,664 Posts
• 413,056 Topics
• 23,627 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rick Barnes showing all kinds of loyalty  (Read 3827 times)

navyhog24

Rick Barnes showing all kinds of loyalty
« on: April 16, 2019, 12:40:58 pm »

David Ubben✔
@davidubben

Rick Barnes on staying at Tennessee: "It has to make sense from a financial standpoint. And the bottom line is, we just couldn't work it out, the buyout."

Barnes is asked directly if he would have left if UCLA had covered the buyout: "I think I would have been the coach at UCLA."

010HogFan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • "Wait Till Next Year!"
Re: Rick Barnes showing all kinds of loyalty
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 12:41:42 pm »

so he didn't stay for all the free food in Knoxville? hm.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 12:50:02 pm »

It's funny because TN should have negotiated it down.  Once a coach wants to leave you can try to hold him to the terms of the buyout but if that's the only reason he is staying why bother.  Now Barnes could just mail it in, then what does TN do if he has a few bad years?  They fire him and pay the full buyout to him.  What did that accomplish? 

Now I doubt Barnes truly mails it in but what kind of relationship is it between him and the fans, him and the school and even him and the players?  Is is worth it holding him to the letter of the buyout?

jgphillips3

• Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 01:27:41 pm »

I think that just emphasizes why HY was big on getting someone who actually wanted to be here.

McKdaddy

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 02:07:44 pm »

Looking forward to Clay Travis’ homer spin.

Smithian

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 02:28:42 pm »

I understand coaches are always considering options, but if we had a coach admit publicly he stayed at Arkansas just because someone else wouldn't pay his buyout then I'd tell that guy to hit the road.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 02:31:42 pm »

I understand coaches are always considering options, but if we had a coach admit publicly he stayed at Arkansas just because someone else wouldn't pay his buyout then I'd tell that guy to hit the road.

Understand your thought on this but, How much would you pay to make him hit the road?

BuddyHog71

• Varsity
  • Razorback Fan for Life
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 04:35:09 pm »

It must be nice for UT to have a head coach who doesn’t want to be there. 😜

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 05:12:42 pm »

It must be nice for UT to have a head coach who doesn’t want to be there. 😜

I get your point, but if he can leave and make more money in the long run, why would he not explore that.  I'm sure you would never do that with your job situation. Coaches are rarely emotionally attached at the heart to any program if the money is bigger elsewhere.  Don't believe anything they say in public.  Most times it's the money and security. 

TNhawgfan

• Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 07:54:58 pm »

Listening to local sports radio today, most thought it was refreshing to have an honest coach. There was a poll, and 75% of the respondents said they were okay with what he said. Host will west even said it would help recruiting because the families would know they're getting told the truth from an honest man. You wanted the spin, that's what they said.
I should have called in and said take it from an Arkansas fan, being known as an honest man doesn't help in recruiting

26.2Hog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 07:59:10 pm »

Either way, I suspect Fulmer is fuming with smoke coming out of his ears.

checkraiser88

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 08:01:35 pm »

Ridiculous for him to even comment on that  You don't comment on stuff like that. I'll be even more honest though, UCLA isn't what it was, it's not that great of a job today. That's what he should of said.

greenEGnHAWGS

• Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 08:05:41 pm »

Listening to local sports radio today, most thought it was refreshing to have an honest coach. There was a poll, and 75% of the respondents said they were okay with what he said. Host will west even said it would help recruiting because the families would know they're getting told the truth from an honest man. You wanted the spin, that's what they said.
I should have called in and said take it from an Arkansas fan, being known as an honest man doesn't help in recruiting

I understand that local sport Talk radio have spin it someway to make it not sound so bad that their top notch coach just said he would’ve left them this year if he could, but I’m calling BS on that.

1) How can any fan base hear their coach say they would’ve left them if they could and they say “we’ll...that sure was refreshing.”?

2) How can this be ANY positive in recruiting knowing that their coach wants to be gone if he can find a way?

checkraiser88

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 08:14:24 pm »

I understand that local sport Talk radio have spin it someway to make it not sound so bad that their top notch coach just said he would’ve left them this year if he could, but I’m calling BS on that.

1) How can any fan base hear their coach say they would’ve left them if they could and they say “we’ll...that sure was refreshing.”?

2) How can this be ANY positive in recruiting knowing that their coach wants to be gone if he can find a way?

Agreed, they certainly spin the hell out of things don't they? If you're the Tenner AD and hear your coach say that he would of left to coach UCLA to the public, it's a big slap in the face. I don't care how honest is lol

greasy_corner

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 08:35:10 pm »

Ridiculous for him to even comment on that  You don't comment on stuff like that. 

It is.  It's as though he needed the validation of saying he'd been offered the job.  Being the BBall coach at TU must have really done a number on his ego.

East Clintwood

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 08:51:43 pm »

It's almost as if he said "he'd crawl to UCLA" for that job.

Sounds familiar.

RebHog

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 09:05:19 pm »

Wow thought this might be cherry picked quotes but after looking into it geez. How can a Vol fan really root for this guy...."ya well they wouldn't cover the buyout I dreamed of coaching there after attending a UCLA camp as a kid but they wouldn't cover the money so it was a sign from god Im still here"...…. I cant believe he actually said all this lol.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 09:18:36 pm »

Damn, wondered about the accuracy of the quotes. Looked up the interview and that has to be the worst interview I've ever read by a coach that is staying. It's like he banged a Super Model for a weekend, will have wet dreams about her for the rest of his life, but stayed with his sad sack wife because it was God's plan. And the wife promised him another 25% of her family estate for staying.

hogwood

• Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 09:30:18 pm »

Damn, wondered about the accuracy of the quotes. Looked up the interview and that has to be the worst interview I've ever read by a coach that is staying. It's like he banged a Super Model for a weekend, will have wet dreams about her for the rest of his life, but stayed with his sad sack wife because it was God's plan. And the wife promised him another 25% of her family estate for staying.

That's what it sounds like. Damn Rick Barnes. Don't know if I can root for them anymore. I really have liked their squad these last few years.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 09:37:26 pm »

I get your point, but if he can leave and make more money in the long run, why would he not explore that.  I'm sure you would never do that with your job situation. Coaches are rarely emotionally attached at the heart to any program if the money is bigger elsewhere.  Don't believe anything they say in public.  Most times it's the money and security. 
That’s all well and good. The problem is as a coach you should NEVER vocalize that to the bosses and fans where you are at.

hawgfan4life

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 09:38:17 pm »

Make no mistake. If Musselman wins big at Arkansas,we will be upping his salary big time or he will be gone no matter how much he wants to be here now.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 09:39:36 pm »

Ridiculous for him to even comment on that  You don't comment on stuff like that. I'll be even more honest though, UCLA isn't what it was, it's not that great of a job today. That's what he should of said.
Exactly.

hogwood

• Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 09:46:09 pm »

That’s all well and good. The problem is as a coach you should NEVER vocalize that to the bosses and fans where you are at.

Unless you're pissed that your boss wouldn't negotiate a buyout so you could have your dream job, lol.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2019, 09:51:17 pm »

Unless you're pissed that your boss wouldn't negotiate a buyout so you could have your dream job, lol.
Still not smart to say anything your boss might not like. A situation where it could turn into mutual destruction.

greenEGnHAWGS

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2019, 09:59:51 pm »

No no no...the talking heads are saying that this was a breath of fresh air, right? This can ONLY be a good thing for team morale.

shotgun7

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 11:37:34 pm »

I can see where it would suck to hear a coach say that, but I doubt he mails it in... if he did his stock would go down if he does not preform if he wants to get out of there in a few years.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 05:42:36 am »

Arkansas is pretty unique in that when a HC comes here to live and run a program here, generally speaking, they don't want to leave. Not the HC.

If the average person hears Arkansas, many may think backwards folks, or poor, or not much of value.

But then when you actually go to Fayetteville, with your family especially, and start living in the area, you really don't want to leave. Because the quality of life in the area is so great.

No Head  basketball coach at the UofA, not men's anyway, has left for another job on their own since Eddie Sutton who left for Kentucky, which is historically 1 of the best of all time.

And Sutton is despised to a large degree by Hog fans for doing that.

No Head football coach from the UofA has left of his own accord since Ken Hatfield. And he came back and lives in the area again.

And he wouldn't have left if he'd been able to get along with Broyles. Holtz left for the same reasons.... Couldn't get along with Broyles. But he still has a lot of love for the UofA and Fayetteville. It just is one of the best places in this nation to live and raise a family. And that says a lot about the environment there.

soonerhawg

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 06:38:09 am »

No Head football coach from the UofA has left of his own accord since Ken Hatfield. And he came back and lives in the area again.

And he wouldn't have left if he'd been able to get along with Broyles.
Or if we fans hadn’t booed him out of the stadium for losing to Texas

greenEGnHAWGS

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 07:11:22 am »

I can see where it would suck to hear a coach say that, but I doubt he mails it in... if he did his stock would go down if he does not preform if he wants to get out of there in a few years.

Sure. The effort will still be there because, as you said, he has to keep his stock up. But the effort won’t be the concern with the program. The problem will be the badgering thought in every player’s, coaches, fans, and administrators mind that their top notch coach is going to bolt the second he’s given the chance. Can you imagine the meetings from here on out about the future of the program?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 07:52:14 am »

Or if we fans hadn’t booed him out of the stadium for losing to Texas

I was at that game. The Texas TD at the end of the game happened right in front of where we were sitting. Was one of the most frustrating games I’ve ever been too. That being said it was more of a stunned silence than loud booing.

lynbug

• Senior
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 06:09:08 pm »

Can't figure out if that interview says that Barnes isn't as smart as some might have thought OR.  the TN job isn't as good as some might think.  Probably a little of both.

hoglady

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 08:21:33 pm »

My guess is Barnes doesn't much care for Fulmer.
He's not the AD that hired him. Barnes is not a job hopper - he was at Texas for close to 2 decades.
That relationship probably won't ultimately end well.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 08:26:46 pm »

Agree. But it won’t make his relationship with the PTB’s any easier.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 01:16:08 pm by Inhogswetrust »

hawgfan4life

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 08:39:12 pm »

Arkansas is pretty unique in that when a HC comes here to live and run a program here, generally speaking, they don't want to leave. Not the HC.

If the average person hears Arkansas, many may think backwards folks, or poor, or not much of value.

But then when you actually go to Fayetteville, with your family especially, and start living in the area, you really don't want to leave. Because the quality of life in the area is so great.

No Head  basketball coach at the UofA, not men's anyway, has left for another job on their own since Eddie Sutton who left for Kentucky, which is historically 1 of the best of all time.

And Sutton is despised to a large degree by Hog fans for doing that.

And he wouldn't have left if he'd been able to get along with Broyles. Holtz left for the same reasons.... Couldn't get along with Broyles. But he still has a lot of love for the UofA and Fayetteville. It just is one of the best places in this nation to live and raise a family. And that says a lot about the environment there.

I think your facts - although accurate - are skewing your opinion.  While NWA is a great place to live and most head coaches like it while there, if any of those coaches that were fired had been winning enough to have bigger schools come calling, there is a strong chance they would have gone because most coaches want the biggest, most prestigious program thdy can have and they will leave a lesser, but better location to go to one.  If Musselman has an opportunity for a pro HC job, he is likely gone.  If he has a chance to coach at KY, Duke, etc., he is likely gone. Hatfield and Nolan Richardson are a perfect example of why a coach would likely leave here regardless of their ability to be here long term.  AR fans can be brutal to a coach even when they are winning.  Boosters can also put immense pressure upon the AD to interfere in a program as they did with Hatfield and HDN.  Any HC will leave AR for a better perceived position just as quickly as they will most other places.  AR is not going to be different in that regard.  It hasn't happened here because our coaches haven't been that successful. 

Paul

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 08:46:23 pm »

That's what it sounds like. Damn Rick Barnes. Don't know if I can root for them anymore. I really have liked their squad these last few years.
Why would you want to root for any UT team dressed in orange?  Good Grief!  This is as bad as what Barnes said

ham slamich

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2019, 07:46:55 pm »

Sorry for weighing in on this late.  I don't believe Barnes has a shred of loyalty to Tennessee or any other school.  Barnes is NC bred and I believe he fancies himself as a contender for the UNC job when RW is gone or perhaps Duke.  To get there he will have to fly higher than Tennessee and a stop at UCLA or similar might have fit the bill.  I agree he may have put himself in a bit of poor light with the Tennessee fans with his comments.  Continued winning will wash over that, though.  My guess is he will bolt at the next available real good opportunity.  Same as Kif.

latrops

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2019, 09:16:52 pm »

Sorry for weighing in on this late.  I don't believe Barnes has a shred of loyalty to Tennessee or any other school.  Barnes is NC bred and I believe he fancies himself as a contender for the UNC job when RW is gone or perhaps Duke.  To get there he will have to fly higher than Tennessee and a stop at UCLA or similar might have fit the bill.  I agree he may have put himself in a bit of poor light with the Tennessee fans with his comments.  Continued winning will wash over that, though.  My guess is he will bolt at the next available real good opportunity.  Same as Kif.

He is 64.  He wont be a candidate for UNC or Duke at his age with his resume.

UCLA was offering roughly a 1.5 million a year raise, he was willing to take it...but they weren't paying the buyout, too.  Presumably, Barnes could have offered to take less in salary, enabling UCLA to pay the buyout...however, it is likely that Barnes did not want to leave Tennessee for California for only a relatively small pay increase. 

I don't believe he is unhappy at Tenn or that he had any plans to leave...but when he unexpectedly received a very good offer from a storied program he was compelled to accept.  It didn't work out though, and I expect he will finish his career at Tenn.  I doubt there is any lingering affect from the UCLA episode.

ALLVOL

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2019, 09:08:33 pm »

It's business for coaches. Period. We as fans want the coaches to "love" us but at the end of the day it's a job to them.

ALLVOL

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2019, 09:12:06 pm »

Also who among us wouldn't look at another job with a pay raise like he was offered? Does he "love" UT? Nope and never thought he did. Coaches are mercenaries.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas