• 10,312,090 Posts
• 408,481 Topics
• 23,342 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Reggie Chaney  (Read 13674 times)

hoglady

Re: Reggie Chaney
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2019, 07:24:54 am »

I like Reggie but goodbye if that is the case. You are getting plenty of playing time. What more do you want?

I took that attitude with Darius Hall last year - but after this year I'm looking at things a little different.

Gabe and Adrio are playing ahead of Chaney. If I was sitting the bench watching Gabe go 0/4, shooting brick 3's and getting 3 rebounds in 25+ minutes - I might be re-thinking where I wanted to play ball next year, too.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 06:51:20 pm by hoglady »

toxichog

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2019, 08:16:09 am »

Itís hard for me to believe that anybody couldnít imagine what Reggie would be upset about.  He is a natural 4......but can play the 5 when needed.  He can make a 15 foot shot when Wide Open......and he sits on the bench for 25 to 30 minutes a game watching two other players at the 4 who literally canít pose any threat whatsoever on the offensive end of the court.  To the point that national announcers point out that the opposing team has stopped guarding them.  It is totally understandable to me............

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

nwahogfan1

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2019, 08:29:37 am »

I took that attitude with Darius Hall last year - but after this year I'm looking at things a little different.

Gabe and Adrio are playing ahead of Chaney. If I was sitting the bench watching Gabe go 0/6, shooting brick 3's and getting 3 rebounds in 25+ minutes - I might be re-thinking where I wanted to play ball next year, too.

Totally agree.  I do not think Chaney would mind sitting on the beach if he saw a real STUD playing in front of him. 

Scott7703

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2019, 09:14:11 am »

Iím sorry that the #1 rated guy in Arkansas isnít ready for playing time. Way behind the others. That was susposed to be our backup C

Henderson, as raw as he is, should have still gotten minutes instead of bailey and Gabe. Thatís one of the biggest problems and is why we continue to lose talent. Mike continues to play unskilled players because others ďarenít readyĒ.

maxhog5

• Senior
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2019, 12:54:58 pm »

If you were Reggie Chaney or advising Chaney, where do you want to spend the next 3 or 4 years:  Chasing 6 foot guards around the perimeter after switches or learning to use that big body down low to rebound and score?

pigzwillrise

• All-American Hogvillian
  • WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2019, 12:56:43 pm »

If you were Reggie Chaney or advising Chaney, where do you want to spend the next 3 or 4 years:  Chasing 6 foot guards around the perimeter after switches or learning to use that big body down low to rebound and score?
I think he just wants to play. And win. Donít over think it.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2019, 12:59:41 pm »

Why would he stay to share time with bailey, Gabe and a juco guy

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2019, 01:34:33 pm »

If I wanted to play as a pro,  switching as often as humanly possible.

If I just wanted to have a memorable college basketball career that got me an occasional lunch from a fellow old timer in 30 years,   stat padding.

Chaney is a very, very talented kid;  I like his versatility better than Gafford's, but Gafford made an art of the few notes of his developed game.    Chaney has more tools in his basketball toolbox, and is also a great athlete, even if not quite Gaffordesque.  He's just piecing it together, like young bigs sometimes have to;  its no knock on Chaney, at all.   When it all comes together, its very obvious its going to be really good.

Letsroll1200

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2019, 01:40:54 pm »

Unfortunately you have a point. Mike has proven that he's going to play the upperclassmen no matter what

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2019, 01:42:24 pm »

Unfortunately you have a point. Mike has proven that he's going to play the upperclassmen no matter what
So that means from next year on Reggie is the guy?

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2019, 01:49:03 pm »

With this many players transferring every year that reflects on the coaches not the players.  They know what we all know they suck.  Their goal is to get to the next level and if they donít think the coaches here can do that then why shouldnít they leave. 

hoglady

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2019, 04:19:38 pm »

So that means from next year on Reggie is the guy?

You think Chaney wants to play the 5??

Big Boi

• Senior
  • The Rodney Dangerfield of Razorbacks
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2019, 04:22:05 pm »

Seems people think Nolan will be upset if Mike is fired. Nolan knows what he accomplished and the standard he set for this program. CMA been here 8yrs and hasn't won anything. From all media reports I've read CMA is well respected at the university and in the community. This is a profession where 8yrs is a long time. If CMA is fired and Nolan makes a big public stink over non basketball issues, then we should move on from him as well.

Sivad

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2019, 05:07:25 pm »

If CMA is fired and Nolan makes a big public stink over non basketball issues, then we should move on from him as well.
Yes. The hope is that naming the court after him will placate him enough to avoid him trying to destroy the program again.

Pumbaa

« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2019, 05:13:49 pm »

Bc how many bigs play 40 mpg? He would share some minutes if he were at Arkansas Tech or at Duke. He will be sharing minutes no matter where he plays... Not a good point here or at least not expressed very well.

raz1965

« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2019, 05:14:46 pm »

R.C has potential to be a great player, developing a jump shot from at least 15 feet in would make him very difficult to guard, we need forwards that can hit the open jumper to loosen up tight defense's around the basket, the sword this team stumbled on.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2019, 06:55:50 pm »

Bc how many bigs play 40 mpg? He would share some minutes if he were at Arkansas Tech or at Duke. He will be sharing minutes no matter where he plays... Not a good point here or at least not expressed very well.

Zion plays almost 30 mpg at game in acc play.

How many minutes you think he is going to play splitting time with 3 other guys

Hogimus Prime

• Roll Out
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2019, 07:11:53 pm »

The Reggie Chaney situation reminds me of Nick Babb.  Babb couldnít get any meaningful playing time playing his freshman year cause MA kept playing guys that offensively challenged infront of him,  transfers to Iowa State and is a starter. 

Rockoff

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2019, 07:45:35 pm »

The Reggie Chaney situation reminds me of Nick Babb.  Babb couldnít get any meaningful playing time playing his freshman year cause MA kept playing guys that offensively challenged infront of him,  transfers to Iowa State and is a starter.

Became a starter. His 1st yr there he played limited minutes behind a Sr. and a Jr.

scaldedhog

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2019, 09:44:24 pm »

[/quote
BINGO!  Such a waste of talent to let this clown show keep trying to raise the ghost of a system that should be left buried!

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2019, 09:51:19 pm »

Gabe and Adrio are playing ahead of Chaney. If I was sitting the bench watching Gabe go 0/6, shooting brick 3's and getting 3 rebounds in 25+ minutes - I might be re-thinking where I wanted to play ball next year, too.   

Given no game that bad ever happened, its hard to treat this credibly.

Gabe's worst game was 0/5 with 7 boards against Vandy.  He played 25 minutes or more all of twice this year.

You can credibly say that Chaney wanted more minutes, but not that Gabe was as terrible as advertised.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2019, 09:52:21 pm »

Chaney was given the starting spot during the season and flubbed up big time that game..

hogfanny

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2019, 09:57:51 pm »

Chaney was given the starting spot during the season and flubbed up big time that game..
How many times has Bailey flubbed up?? And continue to start. And Gabe??

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2019, 10:00:54 pm »

How many times has Bailey flubbed up?? And continue to start. And Gabe??

Even when they couldn't find a pot to pee in offensively, they always played pretty well defensively.    And that goes a long long way with a coach that preaches defense first.

Pumbaa

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2019, 10:53:20 pm »

Zion plays almost 30 mpg at game in acc play.

How many minutes you think he is going to play splitting time with 3 other guys

3 other guys for 2 spots on the floor?...

FASTEST 40

« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2019, 11:21:35 pm »

I guess one needs to ask himself...who's more important, Mike or a disgruntled player?

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2019, 11:26:00 pm »

I guess one needs to ask himself...who's more important, Mike or a disgruntled player?

Or maybe we need to ask why we have so many disgruntled players?

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2019, 11:28:31 pm »

Gabe's worst game was 0/5 with 7 boards against Vandy.  He played 25 minutes or more all of twice this year.

You can credibly say that Chaney wanted more minutes, but not that Gabe was as terrible as advertised.

No player should come here, then complain about playing time. They know, or should know anyway, that Mike plays lots of guys,  but only tons of minutes if forced to by injury or foul problems.

FASTEST 40

« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2019, 11:44:31 pm »

Care to wager how many exist? 
Funny how news becomes multiple and amplifies with fans and their disgruntled misinformation.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2019, 11:46:40 pm »

Watching Babb win a big12 conf tourney title today brought that question to my mind

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2019, 11:46:47 pm »

Care to wager how many exist? 
Funny how news becomes multiple and amplifies with fans and their disgruntled misinformation.

I just mean over the years, not necessarily this year. I dont know who will transfer this year. With all the juco recruits, seems theres gotta be a few.

FASTEST 40

« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2019, 12:06:16 am »

I just mean over the years, not necessarily this year. I dont know who will transfer this year. With all the juco recruits, seems theres gotta be a few.
Out with the old...in with the new.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2019, 12:13:08 am »

Out with the old...in with the new.

Yep. Seems to work so well and all. Why the hell not?

ShadowHawg

« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2019, 12:17:11 am »

Ibby, Henderson, Chaney, and Jones are the ones I believe are probable.

hoglady

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2019, 07:14:25 am »

Erie - that was Gabe's stat line in the Florida game which is why I referenced it.

He was 0/4 from 2 / 0/2 from 3 / 3 rebounds / 0 assists and played 26 minutes.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401119812

Hoggish1

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2019, 09:00:13 am »

I like Reggie but goodbye if that is the case. You are getting plenty of playing time. What more do you want?

A better coach?  Don't know, but it sounds like the kid would like better coaching.  Anything wrong with that?

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2019, 03:41:43 pm »

Erie - that was Gabe's stat line in the Florida game which is why I referenced it.

He was 0/4 from 2 / 0/2 from 3 / 3 rebounds / 0 assists and played 26 minutes.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401119812

Then don't overclaim his shot attempts.   You cherry pick his worst game of the year and presented it as his standard.

He was 0-4  on *all* shots,  not just 2s.

hoglady

« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2019, 04:33:07 pm »

Then don't overclaim his shot attempts.   You cherry pick his worst game of the year and presented it as his standard.

I stand corrected he was 0/4 not 0/6.

Temprees

« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2019, 06:30:18 pm »

#22 should not have been getting more playing time than #35. It would be hard to blame him if he did leave.

realistichog

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2019, 07:29:15 pm »

Who cares about Gabrís Stats. He would not be on a roster of any other SEC school.

regi

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • We would owe Bert how much?
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2019, 07:35:56 pm »

Hopefully someone carries Chaney's luggage for him. With the rate he turns the ball over, his luggage might not make it out of his dorm

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2019, 07:38:56 pm »

Hopefully someone carries Chaney's luggage for him. With the rate he turns the ball over, his luggage might not make it out of his dorm

His turnover rates improved over the course of the year, in per possession/per touch numbers.  He grew as a player.   I'm not going to hold that against him longer term.

BigSexyHog

« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2019, 07:50:59 pm »

What games are you watching by saying he is getting alot of playing time? 

secthundahog

• Band Nerd
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2019, 08:13:24 pm »

yes I am that stupid.  I watched the kid play every game this season and he is not half the player youíre saying he is.  Are you his Uncle or something?

Smh.....You watched every game huh??? Noone calling chaney PJ or Williams. But if big dawg walks we are next years vandy.

daprospecta

« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2019, 08:39:52 pm »

What games are you watching by saying he is getting alot of playing time? 
Reggie's got the appropriate minutes IMO. He had a stretch there where he was turning the ball over frequently and getting lost on defense. You can say what you want about Gabe on offense but he is one of if not the best defensive players we have.  I get why Gabe gets minutes. Adrio's minutes dwindled as the season moved on but even he played tough defense.  Reggie is not Nick Babb part two. He got meaningful minutes. 

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2019, 08:45:36 pm »

Reggie's got the appropriate minutes IMO. He had a stretch there where he was turning the ball over frequently and getting lost on defense. You can say what you want about Gabe on offense but he is one of if not the best defensive players we have.  I get why Gabe gets minutes. Adrio's minutes dwindled as the season moved on but even he played tough defense.  Reggie is not Nick Babb part two. He got meaningful minutes.
but was defense our problem this year?? No. It was offense. Reggie is not a bad defender but you could maybe convince e me that Gabe is better on defense. Still though, we needed OFFENSE at the 4 spot in BAD way. Chaney didnít get near enough minutes.  Gabe and Bailey wouldnít play for many other SEC teams (maybe the bottom 3 or 4). Chaney would get minutes on any SEC team.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2019, 09:10:24 pm »

but was defense our problem this year?? No. It was offense. Reggie is not a bad defender but you could maybe convince e me that Gabe is better on defense. Still though, we needed OFFENSE at the 4 spot in BAD way. Chaney didnít get near enough minutes.  Gabe and Bailey wouldnít play for many other SEC teams (maybe the bottom 3 or 4). Chaney would get minutes on any SEC team.

Well they gave 20+ orb to Fla. I'd say that part of defense was a problem.

mhuff

« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2019, 09:34:03 pm »

R.C has potential to be a great player, developing a jump shot from at least 15 feet in would make him very difficult to guard, we need forwards that can hit the open jumper to loosen up tight defense's around the basket, the sword this team stumbled on.

Been saying this the last eight years. RC should have been in the lineup playing the 4 position with Gafford the whole year. He has played people out of position every year.

doc53

« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2019, 12:29:32 am »

This staff is not known for developing players. This staff is known for giving scholarships to some players who are not SEC caliber

MakingPlays

« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2019, 01:16:22 am »

A better coach?  Don't know, but it sounds like the kid would like better coaching.  Anything wrong with that?

This staff is not known for developing players. This staff is known for giving scholarships to some players who are not SEC caliber

He had the same coaches Isiah Joe did this year, and Joe broke all 3 point records here at Arkansas and made the SEC All-Freshman team and have had NBA scouts inquiring about him.  So, maybe it's not all on the coaches.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas