• 10,565,202 Posts
• 415,991 Topics
• 23,893 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Trey Flowers  (Read 5709 times)

cypress rock

Trey Flowers
« on: March 06, 2019, 10:24:33 am »

Can someone enlighten me on why the patriots would let Trey test free agency other than money?  He is young and has been a very important part of the recent Super Bowl run.

RagingHawgOn

Re: Trey Flowers
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 10:30:26 am »

Flowers is indeed a stud and will get paid.  Patriots just always seem to plug and play, next man up. I could see Wise becoming the next Flowers for much less money.

Maybe Kraft needs the funds for legal defense  ;D

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

FANONTHEHILL

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 12:59:08 pm »

Donít be surprised if Flowers signs a one year deal with an option for a second year and stays in New England.  Heís already won 2 Super Bowls and is 25 years old.  Another year in New England with brady at QB and possibly another after that, could have Trey at 26/27 years old, possibly 3 or 4 rings, and even more marketable elsewhere as the Patriots move to the post-Brady era.  The Patriots have traditionally taken care of their players and several have stayed when the option to leave presented itself.  Hightower and McCourty were in similar situations in recent years and chose to stay.  I think itís likely Flowers does the same thing.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 01:32:47 pm »

Its all about money.   That's where it begins and ends.  Unless they can bring him back at a team friendly number that keeps them flexible, they're not going to give him a long term deal.  They've been burned by their last 2 or 3 attempts to sign young defensive talent to longer term contracts, so are much more willing to simply cycle down to new talent, rather than sink resources into a long term investment.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 01:43:44 pm »

One one hand, Flowers is above an beyond the best pass rusher that the Patriots have and it isn't close. 136 disruptions (17 sacks, 52 qb hits, and 62 pressures) over the past two seasons. The 2nd best player on the pats had only 69.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/aogo0y/howe_trey_flowers_had_136_disruptions_17_sacks_57/

One the other hand, while he is the best that they have by far, in the grand scheme of things, he doesn't produce nearly as much as other players. In 2018, Flowers ranked 65th in tackles for loss, 26th in qb hits, and 34th in sacks. And he was a full time starter. For example, going back to 2016 when he first really started playing, he started only 8 games and had 7 sacks. 2017 he started 14 games and had 6.5 sacks, and he started 15 games last year with 7.5 sacks. So, his playing time has increased, but his production hasn't really kept pace.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018//defense.htm

So yeah, if I'm the Patriots, I'm going to want him back since he's the best I'd have, but all in all, I wouldn't want to pay him too much money given that he's largely giving me the same production as a full time starter as he did as a half time starter.

sickboy

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 01:53:45 pm »

I think the Patriots know what they're doing. I think they've proved that at this point.

younghog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Keep em coming
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 02:03:24 pm »

Don’t be surprised if Flowers signs a one year deal with an option for a second year and stays in New England.  He’s already won 2 Super Bowls and is 25 years old.  Another year in New England with brady at QB and possibly another after that, could have Trey at 26/27 years old, possibly 3 or 4 rings, and even more marketable elsewhere as the Patriots move to the post-Brady era.  The Patriots have traditionally taken care of their players and several have stayed when the option to leave presented itself.  Hightower and McCourty were in similar situations in recent years and chose to stay.  I think it’s likely Flowers does the same thing.

I would do that for sure.. 1 yr with 2 yr option.. And honestly I would retire after the 2nd year.. Hang up the cleats be a ripe age of 27/28 and travel the world..

Get out market yourself and stay on top..

GO HOGS

DoubleReedHawgCaller

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • That's nice.... Real nice!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 02:09:45 pm »

I'd take him in a heartbeat in KC. Him on the other end with ChrisJones. A man can only dream....

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 02:44:56 pm »

I'd take him in a heartbeat in KC. Him on the other end with ChrisJones. A man can only dream....
would not surprise me if he ends up in KC. Patriots D line coach is now with KC. Obviously if they can afford it.

kodiakisland

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 08:44:06 pm »

I think the Patriots know what they're doing. I think they've proved that at this point.

Yeah, the Patriots have done very well by only paying for one franchise player.  Everyone else can be plug and play for a few years at a savings.  They always have money to get what they need.

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 09:14:23 pm »

He's going to make $17M next year.  So, you know, whatever man.

PORKULATOR

• knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 09:48:23 pm »

Screw the Patsies

Jets fan

King Kong

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 09:55:06 pm »

Pats are cheap always have been. Only a handful of times have they paid players what the market would command.

Seymour and Brady among those exceptions

SooieGeneris

• Better Late Than Never
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 12:01:51 am »

The Patriots have let so many players walk in free agency, this could go either way. If another team made a big offer, I doubt that they would match it or franchise him which means they would have to pay the average of the top 5 at his position.

Kahlil Mack just raised the bar for salary for DE/OLB. The Pats have gotten rid of Jamie Collins, Jabaal Sheard and a bunch of others in recent years. They even let Vinatieri walk when he became a FA.

Chandler Jones was even more productive than Flowers and they traded him although he had an off the field situation once.

I think it all depends on the offers Flowers gets from other teams. If he gets a major deal elsewhere, I think they will let him walk rather than use the franchise tag with the Patriots being the Patriots.

No one player other than Brady is untouchable there it seems.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 12:03:41 am »

He's going to make $17M next year.  So, you know, whatever man.

They didn't Franchise him, and today was the day for it.   Looks like he's hitting FA, where you never know how high that number will end up.

GARZRBACK78

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 02:32:21 am »

Screw the Jets

Patriots fan

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Greatest warriors to ever tred planet Earth
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 03:55:32 am »

Trey will be going straight to the Cowboys. Trey would fit perfectly right in the 'midnight tokers', David Irving's spot. Irving has played well in spurts and may be slightly more talented than Trey, but the Cowboys know that Flowers plays hard on every play and you don't have to worry about Trey looking for a hooch hook-up every other night in South east Dallas.

Razorbax

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 08:11:49 am »

Trey will be going straight to the Cowboys. Trey would fit perfectly right in the 'midnight tokers', David Irving's spot. Irving has played well in spurts and may be slightly more talented than Trey, but the Cowboys know that Flowers plays hard on every play and you don't have to worry about Trey looking for a hooch hook-up every other night in South east Dallas.
Cowboys cannot afford Trey. They already have a DLaw that is going to cost 20+ millions

Mjs84

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 02:42:36 pm »

If Trey wants another ring, he will stay put.  If he wants more money, somebody will pony up and he leaves.  Either way, the Pats don't even pay Brady his market value.

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 02:54:38 pm »

Why, oh, why do so many think every loose player is going to be a Cowboy? They can only sign a finite number. And JJ is a business man who owns the Cowboys  It's a not a repository for former Hogs.

greenEGnHAWGS

• Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 04:15:31 pm »

If Trey wants another ring, he will stay put.  If he wants more money, somebody will pony up and he leaves.  Either way, the Pats don't even pay Brady his market value.

Brady is an anomaly. Not many players have a wife who makes more than they do. He cares about legacy over a meaningless increase to his bank account.

Hogwild

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 03:02:31 pm »

Patriots just traded with Philly for Michael Bennett.

Looks like Flowers won't be with the Patriots next season.

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 03:14:16 pm »

Patriots just traded with Philly for Michael Bennett.

Looks like Flowers won't be with the Patriots next season.

Packers need to get him.  In before another Cowboy wish.

greenEGnHAWGS

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 03:18:27 pm »

Bite your tongue. The last thing I need is a Razorback playing for my Vikings arch rival...

HogPharmer

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 03:21:37 pm »

I'm with you

k.c.hawg

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 01:37:15 pm »

Multiple sources expect former Patriots defensive end Trey Flowers to get a monster deal (maybe in excess of $18 million per year) on the open market after many of the top free-agent pass-rushers got franchised. Two of Flowers' former New England defensive coordinators are now head coaches: Brian Flores in Miami and Matt Patricia in Detroit. Watch Flowers for the Lions, who are expected to be among the most aggressive players on this market.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26223048/last-minute-2019-nfl-free-agency-nuggets-catch-watch-for

k.c.hawg

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 02:24:09 pm »

Trey Flowers to the Lions. Numbers aren't out but it will be a huge payday.

arkfan81

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 02:24:27 pm »

Trey to the lions..

k.c.hawg

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 02:27:34 pm »

Initial reports $16-$17 million per year. No report on guaranteed money yet.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 03:01:35 pm »

Trey to the lions..
Worst city in America

elksnort

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2019, 03:07:55 pm »

Love to see him play for the Dolphins.

snoblind

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2019, 03:09:42 pm »

Screw the Patsies

Jets fan

Screw the Jets

Patriots fan

Is there a Sonic up there you boys can take this argument to? 

:)

greenEGnHAWGS

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 03:20:21 pm »

Multiple sources expect former Patriots defensive end Trey Flowers to get a monster deal (maybe in excess of $18 million per year) on the open market after many of the top free-agent pass-rushers got franchised. Two of Flowers' former New England defensive coordinators are now head coaches: Brian Flores in Miami and Matt Patricia in Detroit. Watch Flowers for the Lions, who are expected to be among the most aggressive players on this market.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26223048/last-minute-2019-nfl-free-agency-nuggets-catch-watch-for

Good for him. Heís in a unique position where he doesn't have to chase rings when heís still in his prime. Heís got those so now he can focus on getting his $$$.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2019, 03:24:17 pm »

Is there a Sonic up there you boys can take this argument to? 

:)
Not many.

King Kong

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2019, 03:45:26 pm »

Good move. He got paid and still remains a system fit

FANONTHEHILL

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2019, 03:50:40 pm »

A reunion with Patricia and a huge paycheck.  Would be nice to see Frank and Trey on the same team again.  Also, with OT Trent Brown signing with the Raiders, Skipper may have a home with the Patriots.

hogbud

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2019, 04:16:06 pm »

$17 million per year.
Charles Haley May come out of retirement

Cambridge Hog

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2019, 05:41:26 pm »

Not many.

Lol, Iím not sure how far outside of the city you have to go to find one. I havenít seen one here. Route 9 maybe?

Anyway, hate to see Trey go but we all knew it would happen. Glad he got to be a champion.

Masshog

• Its coldern hell up here!!
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2019, 06:19:09 pm »

Hate it heís movin on but happy for him.  Hopefully Wise will step up.  Cambridge, there is a sonic in Stoughton.... if you can lure Jet Fan up here Iím in! 

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2019, 08:13:14 pm »

Worst city in America

I'm sure he'll be living in the slums.

LZH

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2019, 08:53:51 pm »

Not many.

They don't even put cheese on their tater tots.......do they even have tater tots up north?

hawgmasta

• I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2019, 10:03:27 pm »

They don't even put cheese on their tater tots.......do they even have tater tots up north?

Donít think so, all they have are hard cold unseasoned raw potatoes. Luckily Trey is from the south an will be able to survive in that frigid wasteland.

lasthog

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2019, 10:04:14 pm »

Worst city in America

But on the other hand, lots of houses for sale cheap...real cheap.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2019, 10:56:36 pm »

Lol, Iím not sure how far outside of the city you have to go to find one. I havenít seen one here. Route 9 maybe?

Anyway, hate to see Trey go but we all knew it would happen. Glad he got to be a champion.
I guess carhops on snowshoes just never caught on...   ;D

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2019, 05:30:30 am »

Donít think so, all they have are hard cold unseasoned raw potatoes. Luckily Trey is from the south an will be able to survive in that frigid wasteland.

They play in a dome. Thatíll help.

rmcchris

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2019, 11:40:44 am »

Can someone enlighten me on why the patriots would let Trey test free agency other than money?  He is young and has been a very important part of the recent Super Bowl run.
New England model.  They don't pay big bucks for free agents.  Try to load up on trades and draft picks and rebuild with the stable vet group.  You can do this when you have the best QB, most likely in the history of the game.

311Hog

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2019, 11:42:49 am »

WTH are the Ravens doing lol....

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2019, 01:09:34 pm »

WTH are the Ravens doing lol....

Washing the taste of Flacco's..... out of their mouth.    Its rare to see a team that dedicated to purging itself of the old QB's influence, working to establish a new identity, and moving on from aging players who normally would have hung around Baltimore 2 seasons too long, like every other old Raven not named Ed Reed.

311Hog

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2019, 01:18:59 pm »

Washing the taste of Flacco's..... out of their mouth.    Its rare to see a team that dedicated to purging itself of the old QB's influence, working to establish a new identity, and moving on from aging players who normally would have hung around Baltimore 2 seasons too long, like every other old Raven not named Ed Reed.

CJ Moseley isn't old.  and they are purging all defensive guys.

hawkhawg

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2019, 01:28:33 pm »

I wonder what the Patriots were willing to pay.  Three super Bowls and two wins by the age 25 is a huge deal. But if you hang around in New England and play in a couple more Super Bowls that would put Trey in some elite company.  I know football careers are short but I would be tempted to hang around in New England for less money for a chance at sports immortality.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas