• 10,472,497 Posts
• 413,216 Topics
• 23,631 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Redbird Rundown XIII  (Read 2751 times)

clutch

Re: Redbird Rundown XIII
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2019, 02:01:22 pm »

Sucks that Hicks blew his elbow out. He may throw 106 when he comes back from Tommy John.

Ray Piggers

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I'm in a Natural state right now, man...
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2019, 12:42:52 am »

Huge homer from Rookie Tommy Edman tonight to grab the 5-2 win over the Mariners

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

RaisinHog

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2019, 01:01:30 pm »

2 hours and counting from the trade deadline will MO get off the couch and get us a starting pitcher ??

McKdaddy

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2019, 05:02:18 pm »

"wacha is our 5th starter", per Girsch today.....smh.

McKdaddy

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2019, 10:22:43 pm »

From Bernie on July 29th, and applies today.....

ďI keep coming back to this: Cardinals management had all offseason to reinforce an obviously vulnerable rotation going into 2019. Mozeliak and associates took no action.

The front office banked on Adam Wainwright, a 37-year-old starter with injury issues and a 4.77 road ERA over the past three seasons. They disregarded Michael Wachaís extensive history of injuries and second-half deterioration. They were willing to lean on an unproven rookie, Dakota Hudson. Management overlooked the possibility of regression by Miles Mikolas and Jack Flaherty.

Sure, the Cardinals were smacked by bad luck; injuries have removed potential starters Alex Reyes and Austin Gomber from the mix, which left Daniel Ponce de Leon as the top option to step in for the struggling Wacha. But Mozeliak and crew had to realize that Reyes was an injury risk. And itís not as if Gomber had established himself as a go-to MLB starter. Ponce de Leon has been impressive at times, but his limited arsenal (fastball, fastball, fastball) and wildness had to be factored in.

The Cardinals needed a lefty starter. They needed a starter, period, who could offer stability by pitching plentiful innings. That starter was available. A former Cy Young Award winner, in fact. A World Series champion. And that obvious candidate, Dallas Keuchel, didnít require a risky long-term contract or draft-choice compensation. Atlanta signed Keuchel on June 7 at a salary of $13 million through the end of the Ď19 season. Over his last five starts, Keuchel has gone six or more innings four times and has a 3.00 ERA.Ē

Jules Winnfield

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2019, 04:12:01 pm »

Matt Carpenter hitting .215

Sent to minors. Goes 2 for 26 (.076)

Cardinals logic: lets call him up hand have him lead off.

WMHawgfan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Left Lane Hammer Down!
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2019, 03:56:15 pm »

Matt Carpenter hitting .215

Sent to minors. Goes 2 for 26 (.076)

Cardinals logic: lets call him up hand have him lead off.
Exactly. Without him you go on a hot streak that lands you in first place so by all means screw with that chemistry. I am betting they end up 0-5 on this road trip.

jst01

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2019, 09:12:23 pm »

Carp sucks.

This now ends my annual appearance in this forum.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2019, 10:20:48 am »

From Bernie on July 29th, and applies today.....

ďI keep coming back to this: Cardinals management had all offseason to reinforce an obviously vulnerable rotation going into 2019. Mozeliak and associates took no action.

The front office banked on Adam Wainwright, a 37-year-old starter with injury issues and a 4.77 road ERA over the past three seasons. They disregarded Michael Wachaís extensive history of injuries and second-half deterioration. They were willing to lean on an unproven rookie, Dakota Hudson. Management overlooked the possibility of regression by Miles Mikolas and Jack Flaherty.

Sure, the Cardinals were smacked by bad luck; injuries have removed potential starters Alex Reyes and Austin Gomber from the mix, which left Daniel Ponce de Leon as the top option to step in for the struggling Wacha. But Mozeliak and crew had to realize that Reyes was an injury risk. And itís not as if Gomber had established himself as a go-to MLB starter. Ponce de Leon has been impressive at times, but his limited arsenal (fastball, fastball, fastball) and wildness had to be factored in.

The Cardinals needed a lefty starter. They needed a starter, period, who could offer stability by pitching plentiful innings. That starter was available. A former Cy Young Award winner, in fact. A World Series champion. And that obvious candidate, Dallas Keuchel, didnít require a risky long-term contract or draft-choice compensation. Atlanta signed Keuchel on June 7 at a salary of $13 million through the end of the Ď19 season. Over his last five starts, Keuchel has gone six or more innings four times and has a 3.00 ERA.Ē

It was a sellers market this year when it came to pitchers. Everyone was shopping for pitchers as the trade deadline came and went. The teams that had arms for sale knew they could ask for way over value.

VanBurenCHog

• Varsity
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2019, 03:58:12 pm »

Carp isnít in the lineup tonight, thank freaking goodness

snf6278

« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2019, 05:14:02 pm »

Cardinals locked down their 29th postseason appearance today! It was also the first four game series sweep at Wrigley Field by the cardinals since 1921. This team is as gritty as I can remember. Itís nice to have something to cheer about this time of the year since the football team keeps breaking my heart!

jrulz83

• Lenin lived, Lenin lives, Lenin will live forever!
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2019, 06:55:55 pm »

Well, I left them for dead. But the Cards proved me wrong. Iíve been hesitant to post about them because they started playing so well. So if they lose the division, my bad.

If they go into the postseason with the mindset and style of play that just won them four in a row in Wrigley then they are a dangerous team. Iím kind of afraid that series was a case of the Cubs just being done though. But weíll see. At least the Cardinals didnít fall into the club dub trap after clinching a postseason spot. More work to do, have to like the mentality.

When the postseason starts and everybody is 0-0 anything can happen. But with the way the Cardinals have pitched and played defense lately they could be a tough out in the playoffs. To maximize their chances the Cardinals need Wong back healthy, heís a pest at the plate and on the bases, not to mention his defense. His and Dexter Fowlerís second half surges have really been the key to scoring enough runs, but they still need more offense from somewhere, anywhere really.

Going to see a tough team in Atlanta or Los Angeles, but however it plays out Iím going to enjoy the ride.

snf6278

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2019, 10:18:56 pm »

Well, I left them for dead. But the Cards proved me wrong. Iíve been hesitant to post about them because they started playing so well. So if they lose the division, my bad.

If they go into the postseason with the mindset and style of play that just won them four in a row in Wrigley then they are a dangerous team. Iím kind of afraid that series was a case of the Cubs just being done though. But weíll see. At least the Cardinals didnít fall into the club dub trap after clinching a postseason spot. More work to do, have to like the mentality.

When the postseason starts and everybody is 0-0 anything can happen. But with the way the Cardinals have pitched and played defense lately they could be a tough out in the playoffs. To maximize their chances the Cardinals need Wong back healthy, heís a pest at the plate and on the bases, not to mention his defense. His and Dexter Fowlerís second half surges have really been the key to scoring enough runs, but they still need more offense from somewhere, anywhere really.

Going to see a tough team in Atlanta or Los Angeles, but however it plays out Iím going to enjoy the ride.
Yea Iím right there with you. Honestly didnít think that with 6 games remaining that the Cardinals would be in this spot. If they can win the Central they more than likely get the Braves which will be a tough task but hey, as gritty as this team is you never know. If Goldy, Ozuna, Fowler, and DeJong keep playing at the level they are right now it gives them a chance.

jrulz83

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2019, 02:21:23 pm »

Yea Iím right there with you. Honestly didnít think that with 6 games remaining that the Cardinals would be in this spot. If they can win the Central they more than likely get the Braves which will be a tough task but hey, as gritty as this team is you never know. If Goldy, Ozuna, Fowler, and DeJong keep playing at the level they are right now it gives them a chance.

The playoffs are so flukey. Anything can happen. It all comes down to pitching, hitting, and defense, surprise, surprise. I like the Cardinals chances on two of those three. The hitting is the suspect one. Ozuna has to be consistently good, heís been in a funk pretty much all of September. Goldschmidt needs to cut some Kís. Same for Dejong. Really the same offensive issues as all season, again, surprising isnít it? I really think Fowler and Wong are the keys though. They increase the pressure when theyíre on base.

The bullpen matches up to about any opponent. The starting pitching has been much improved. It will be interesting to see if they take 13 pitchers into the playoffs. Just hoping we donít see another emergency only, pitcher under glass type thing. Also some interesting decisions on bench players too. Iím excited to see it all play out.

McKdaddy

« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2019, 06:59:46 am »

2006 is an excellent example of ďjust get to the playoffs and see what happensĒ.

jrulz83

« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2019, 10:54:22 am »

Remember the last playoff game for STL in Atlanta? Fun times!

snf6278

« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2019, 09:01:43 pm »

Man the last 2 innings were huge tonight! I was really conflicted tonight. Love my Redbirds but itís hard to root against a former Razorback. Keuchel looked good. My hope happened tonight. Dallas would have a good game then the Cards would win it late. I really love the grit of this team! Go Cards!!!

pigture perfect

« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2019, 11:03:50 pm »

Love DK and Freeman, but canít stand the braves anymore. Acuna has so much talent, but his laziness in fundamentals will keep him from greatness unless he matures quickly.

Go  Cards!!! Letís get #12.

WMHawgfan

• Left Lane Hammer Down!
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2019, 10:06:09 am »

Great win last night. Martinez scares me every time he comes in to close. Probably can't do anything about it this year but they need to give him an ultimatum on his delivery. They have been trying to get him to stop opening up and falling off to the first base side for years now. He has no control and his slider backs up every time. You can see Yadi gets very frustrated with him.

McKdaddy

« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2019, 08:12:12 pm »

1 run in 2 games.  :puke:

T-Wacker

« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2019, 10:11:23 am »

As a life long Cardinals fan, it is difficult to watch such poor management. Shildt is a complete idiot and has no business managing a little league team, certainly not a MLB team. Tired of his idiotic data he talks about only to actually mean nothing more than guessing. Here is a crash course on common fundamental baseball, especially in the playoffs. Up 1-0 in the eighth, it is obvious runs are hard to come by, so if you can manufacture a run, by all means, do so. First and second, no outs in the late innings - BUNT EVERY TIME MORON! Especially when a hitter like DeJong is up and is struggling to even foul off a pitch. He does this all the time and it burns him almost every time. Personally, I don't care if the second coming of Babe Ruth is up, BUNT the runners over and put pressure on the defense and pitcher. If DeJong can't bunt, pinch hit a pitcher so he can bunt. Another really stupid play was pulling Carpenter out and putting Bader in after the first single. I get it, Bader is fast, but he is also extremely dumb as well. I was expecting him to get picked off first with that huge lead he kept getting, even though he wasn't trying to steal. Does anyone think to tell the moron you are in scoring position at second base already? No need to steal third in that situation, especially if you have the speed he has. Last but not least, Martinez is NOT A CLOSER. Never has been and never will be. But by all means, trot his butt out there every time to fail instead of using a combination of pitchers to get the last 3 outs. Did Shildt not see the first game when Martinez tried desperately to blow the game? Guess not. Reminds me of when Izzy was late in his career and literally couldn't strike out an average high school hitter, but LaRussa kept putting him out to close and lose. You could see the players faces knowing he couldn't get outs. Had Izzy not been placed on the IR and they started using Wainwright to close, the Cards would have never won the series that year.

This series is over, but I really don't hold out much hope for the Cardinals until they decide to hire a manager with an IQ in triple digits. Shildt and Matheney may be great guys, but neither had the ability to manage a championship team. Too many dumb decisions on the field between both managers. Bring Whitey back to at least teach them the fundamentals of game management.

Jules Winnfield

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2019, 05:23:50 pm »

How about intentionally walking the go ahead run with 2 outs. Shildt went full retard.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • What does not kill you makes you almost dead.
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2019, 06:34:11 pm »

Wait, didn't the Cards win today?

hoglady

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2019, 06:37:41 pm »

Wait, didn't the Cards win today?

They just won on a sac fly.

WMHawgfan

• Left Lane Hammer Down!
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2019, 01:08:27 pm »

How about intentionally walking the go ahead run with 2 outs. Shildt went full retard.
yeah and he did it to get to a guy that has done nothing but kill our pitching this entire series.

having said all this, yesterday was a very nice way to rebound. I about punched my screen when he put Martinez in for the 9th but he managed to get out of giving up a leadoff double. if he had blown it again they may have run both of them out on a rail.

hoglady

« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2019, 10:42:38 pm »

I can't believe some of you Cards fans haven't posted about the destruction of the Braves today.
I made sure my schedule allowed me to be home today to watch the game.
I was pulling for the Braves.
Joke was on me - the dang thing was over before the Braves took their first at bat.

Congratulations to the Cards - just a great display of hitting in the first inning.

MissippHog

« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2019, 11:37:16 pm »

I can't believe some of you Cards fans haven't posted about the destruction of the Braves today.
I made sure my schedule allowed me to be home today to watch the game.
I was pulling for the Braves.
Joke was on me - the dang thing was over before the Braves took their first at bat.

Congratulations to the Cards - just a great display of hitting in the first inning.

And the Cards are about to grab home field advantage in the NLCS too.  This day keeps getting better and better.

hoglady

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2019, 12:44:21 am »

And the Cards are about to grab home field advantage in the NLCS too.  This day keeps getting better and better.

Yep
Shocking to watch Kershaw give up those back to back homeruns to let the Nats tie it up.
But what a pretty grand slam in the 10th that pretty well finished off the Dodgers.
Been surprising the last few days in these playoffs for sure.

I just want some team, any team to knock off the Yankees.

McKdaddy

« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2019, 08:55:06 am »

I was very happy, but I keep a low profile concerning victories by my favorite teams....I try not to get too high or too low.

McKdaddy

« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2019, 08:55:53 am »

And the Cards are about to grab home field advantage in the NLCS too. 

This was the most amazing thing to me in all that happened yesterday.

liljo

« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2019, 10:09:23 am »

Hey y'all, I inherited the Cardinals at birth and have been knowingly rooting for them since '66.

I love this team. Hats off to the Braves. The final game was certainly not indicative of how great a series that was.

Baseball has such a small margin of error. In the first inning, an error by the Braves opened the floodgates. To the Cards credit, they took advantage of that error--in a huge way!

Very thankful to see the team advance. For my house, baseball season ends when the Cards are eliminated. Right now, we have, at minimum, FOUR MORE GAMES.

I know fans, fanatics, Cardinals Fanatics, etc. At my house, we are Saint Lunatics!
GO REDBIRDS!

WMHawgfan

• Left Lane Hammer Down!
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2019, 02:08:22 pm »

It was a great performance and I am elated to be moving on. I am also very happy that Washington blew up the dream matchup the tv stations were all drooling for in the WS.

oldman1015

« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2019, 02:49:53 pm »

I bet $200 on the Rams to win the Super Bowl before the season started last year then laid half of it off on the Patriots. Took $200 of the winnings on put on the Cardinals to win the World Series the week before baseball started. Pays $2400

WMHawgfan

• Left Lane Hammer Down!
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2019, 04:26:38 pm »

I bet $200 on the Rams to win the Super Bowl before the season started last year then laid half of it off on the Patriots. Took $200 of the winnings on put on the Cardinals to win the World Series the week before baseball started. Pays $2400
Cardinals were 12-1 before the season? I would have thought the odds would have been higher for a team that missed the playoffs the last 3 years.

hoglady

« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2019, 04:30:16 pm »

It was a great performance and I am elated to be moving on. I am also very happy that Washington blew up the dream matchup the tv stations were all drooling for in the WS.

Had to feel for Kershaw - that post game from him was difficult to watch.
Handled it like a true professional but you could tell he was hurting inside.

hoglady

« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2019, 04:39:13 pm »

I try to root for the Cards - I love Busch Stadium and they have some of the best fans around.
But I always think back to that 1967 WS and them ruining the Red Sox "The Impossible Dream" season.
I still hold a grudge 52 years later.

oldman1015

« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2019, 06:43:42 pm »

Cardinals were 12-1 before the season? I would have thought the odds would have been higher for a team that missed the playoffs the last 3 years.
If I had waited 3 weeks into the season that doubled.

jrulz83

« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2019, 06:41:29 pm »

Disgusting offense is disgusting.

oldman1015

« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2019, 11:01:37 am »

It was a fun ride.

WMHawgfan

• Left Lane Hammer Down!
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2019, 03:32:21 pm »

Perfect time for the entire lineup to go into a complete funk. Considering Martinez is the only one that can hit the damn ball, you have to start him in game three right?

McKdaddy

« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2019, 04:26:23 pm »

Perfect time for the entire lineup to go into a complete funk. Considering Martinez is the only one that can hit the damn ball, you have to start him in game three right?

They are, for Carp.

jrulz83

« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2019, 07:54:54 pm »

4 runs is like 20 for this offense to overcome.

Itís been fun, but it looks like the ride is over.

WMHawgfan

• Left Lane Hammer Down!
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2019, 03:37:30 pm »

4 runs is like 20 for this offense to overcome.

It’s been fun, but it looks like the ride is over.
2 runs is too much. 2 runs in 3 games. aweful.

jrulz83

« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2019, 04:55:34 pm »

2 runs is too much. 2 runs in 3 games. aweful.

Been this way all year. Feast followed by long periods of famine.

McKdaddy

« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2019, 07:12:20 pm »

Finished ahead of the cubs.

Dropkick

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I'm somewhere in the middle
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2019, 08:09:48 pm »

Finished ahead of the cubs.
About time, I guess roles have reversed if that is your goal.

McKdaddy

« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2019, 09:37:57 pm »

About time, I guess roles have reversed if that is your goal.

Definitely one of my annual goals. Order restored.

McKdaddy

« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2019, 09:38:23 pm »

The fake dynasty hasnít gotten too far.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas