Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MAGA  (Read 1808 times)

Superhog1959

MAGA
« on: February 11, 2019, 08:34:52 am »

Making Arkansas Great Again!

Its winter, but spring is coming. I am looking forward to spring practice. Still cant seem to get last year out of my head. I will soon just try to forget it, but want to take one more shot at figuring out how that happened.

I believe Coach Morris was not the first choice to be the coach. Gus was flirted with. We fired the AD. Then he didn't come. Played us for more money. That alone sat us back. Late coaching hire, lost a year in recruiting more or less. I used to be a Gus fan, not ever again will I be that. Then we hire a coach from SMU with a best record of 7-5. I am thinking, what? So there is 1 issue that hurt the program.

Going into the year, I really didn't know anything about that team. Watching the spring game was a eye opener though. It was terrible. I tried to lie to myself, and think they will improve alot by fall. We got severely disappointed.

I looked back at the stats for last years games. Some things really stood out.
1. We averaged 23.6 points a game. Kinda misleading though. Scored over 30 4X. Of those 4, we lost 3 of them.
2. Gave up over 30 points 9 times.
3. Averaged 6.2 yards a pass. 17 TD 18INT. With 8 fumbles.
4. Averaged 34.7 yards a punt.
5. Defense had 5 INT
6. 69 penalties for 622 yards.
7. Record 2 wins 10 losses.
If any of these stats are wrong. Don't blame me, blame ESPN.
Looking at the stats, don't tell the whole story. Anyone who watched the games, saw confusion, lack of effort. I could go on, but lets just say BIG mess.

Last year reminded me of the JLS year. Finger pointing, shoving blame onto anyone willing or not willing to take it. A total team and coaching meltdown. How can this be changed?

This is stuff coaches lay in bed at night and think about. How can I fix this? What needs to change?
I don't know if Coach Morris can. But what I do believe is he will give it all he has got to do so.

With Hicks coming in, that is a start. I really think he has a good arm and does know Coach Morris system. So that cant be used as a excuse this year. If the Oline can at least get decent, we should see improvement. If that improvement does occur, I think that will also help the defense.
We have to stop or at least get a hold on turnovers. That hurt us bad last year.
We have to get better on kick coverage. That hurt us bad last year.

Making Arkansas Great Again will not be a easy task. Maybe Coach Morris will have to drain the swamp first. Then build a wall around Arkansas to keep the multi star recruits. As a life long Hog fan, I am really pulling for him. But I got to say, its a tall order. After getting this out of my mind, maybe I can sleep again.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Let me buy you lunch
Re: MAGA
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 08:36:37 am »

Making Arkansas Great Again!

Its winter, but spring is coming. I am looking forward to spring practice. Still cant seem to get last year out of my head. I will soon just try to forget it, but want to take one more shot at figuring out how that happened.

I believe Coach Morris was not the first choice to be the coach. Gus was flirted with. We fired the AD. Then he didn't come. Played us for more money. That alone sat us back. Late coaching hire, lost a year in recruiting more or less. I used to be a Gus fan, not ever again will I be that. Then we hire a coach from SMU with a best record of 7-5. I am thinking, what? So there is 1 issue that hurt the program.

Going into the year, I really didn't know anything about that team. Watching the spring game was a eye opener though. It was terrible. I tried to lie to myself, and think they will improve alot by fall. We got severely disappointed.

I looked back at the stats for last years games. Some things really stood out.
1. We averaged 23.6 points a game. Kinda misleading though. Scored over 30 4X. Of those 4, we lost 3 of them.
2. Gave up over 30 points 9 times.
3. Averaged 6.2 yards a pass. 17 TD 18INT. With 8 fumbles.
4. Averaged 34.7 yards a punt.
5. Defense had 5 INT
6. 69 penalties for 622 yards.
7. Record 2 wins 10 losses.
If any of these stats are wrong. Don't blame me, blame ESPN.
Looking at the stats, don't tell the whole story. Anyone who watched the games, saw confusion, lack of effort. I could go on, but lets just say BIG mess.

Last year reminded me of the JLS year. Finger pointing, shoving blame onto anyone willing or not willing to take it. A total team and coaching meltdown. How can this be changed?

This is stuff coaches lay in bed at night and think about. How can I fix this? What needs to change?
I don't know if Coach Morris can. But what I do believe is he will give it all he has got to do so.

With Hicks coming in, that is a start. I really think he has a good arm and does know Coach Morris system. So that cant be used as a excuse this year. If the Oline can at least get decent, we should see improvement. If that improvement does occur, I think that will also help the defense.
We have to stop or at least get a hold on turnovers. That hurt us bad last year.
We have to get better on kick coverage. That hurt us bad last year.

Making Arkansas Great Again will not be a easy task. Maybe Coach Morris will have to drain the swamp first. Then build a wall around Arkansas to keep the multi star recruits. As a life long Hog fan, I am really pulling for him. But I got to say, its a tall order. After getting this out of my mind, maybe I can sleep again.

Best thing that happened to us was Gus not coming here.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

liljo

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 08:47:34 am »

I think one of the biggest challenges for UA athletics is interference from UA academia. Years ago I set up audio/video equipment for a conference where a huge group of registrars and admissions people from colleges and universities nation-wide. I got to know a few people and finally met people in the Registrar-Admissions area of UA. They were actually JOKING about how they held up a transfer from JUCO that the coaches were dying to get. They laughed about how they slowed the process down on that kid getting to join the team. And they bragged about doing things like that on a regular basis.

I asked a few questions and found out they had graduated from schools far away from Arkansas, I can't recall the exact schools, but places such as Virginia and Penn State. The main point was, they openly admitted, with glee, their hatred for all things involving athletics at the UofA.

I also got to meet some people from Alabama and Auburn. They were the exact opposite.

Arkansas has faced challenges other SEC schools haven't faced for a very long time.

Hog Fan...DOH!

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 09:00:08 am »

Wow, no.   

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 09:00:59 am »

I think one of the biggest challenges for UA athletics is interference from UA academia. Years ago I set up audio/video equipment for a conference where a huge group of registrars and admissions people from colleges and universities nation-wide. I got to know a few people and finally met people in the Registrar-Admissions area of UA. They were actually JOKING about how they held up a transfer from JUCO that the coaches were dying to get. They laughed about how they slowed the process down on that kid getting to join the team. And they bragged about doing things like that on a regular basis.

I asked a few questions and found out they had graduated from schools far away from Arkansas, I can't recall the exact schools, but places such as Virginia and Penn State. The main point was, they openly admitted, with glee, their hatred for all things involving athletics at the UofA.

I also got to meet some people from Alabama and Auburn. They were the exact opposite.

Arkansas has faced challenges other SEC schools haven't faced for a very long time.
Hmmm.... you might want to email this info to the Associate Vice Provost Enrollment Services/Registrar.  He is a University of Arkansas graduate and has been working with The University of Arkansas in some capacity since 1993.

https://news.uark.edu/articles/14843/dave-dawson-selected-as-registrar

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 09:28:23 am »

Hmmm.... you might want to email this info to the Associate Vice Provost Enrollment Services/Registrar.  He is a University of Arkansas graduate and has been working with The University of Arkansas in some capacity since 1993.

https://news.uark.edu/articles/14843/dave-dawson-selected-as-registrar
The timing was early 2000's. Can't recall exactly, nor do I recall any of the people involved by name. It was just a conversation between "sessions" while sitting around a table in a huge conference hall.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 09:38:28 am »

The timing was early 2000's. Can't recall exactly, nor do I recall any of the people involved by name. It was just a conversation between "sessions" while sitting around a table in a huge conference hall.
Hopefully the people you talked with have improved or taken jobs elsewhere.  I'm an alumnus and don't want our registrar making it difficult for any student (who passes the necessary requirements and checks) to gain admittance.

There are always some in academia who look down upon the athletic department but most realize that without athletics that the university would not be where it is today.  This is especially true at The University of Arkansas where the athletic department actually gives money back vs. the opposite.

younghog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Keep em coming
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 12:11:31 pm »

Best thing that happened to us was Gus not coming here.

QUOTE OF THE CENTURY.. ~ Real Talk

Hawgboy64

• Senior
  • Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 01:43:48 pm »

Do we have to build a wall?

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 03:15:03 pm »

Can we make Alabama pay for it ???

LRHog

• Varsity
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 03:22:54 pm »

How else are we going to get to see the baseball team bomb homeruns every game this season?

HogJowler

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 04:23:35 pm »

We need a bigger wall than just Arkansas.  We need to loop it around Tulsa down to Dallas, across East Texas, around Louisiana and up to Memphis.

Has we all know, getting every recruit out of Arkansas will not get UA out of last place in the West by itself.

We have to be able to get serious numbers out of these other areas.

Maybe we can get Arkansas Education majors to start taking teaching jobs and other grads to go into coaching in these areas.  Kind of a Trojan Hog kind of thing.

Hawgphat

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 07:34:40 pm »

There is already a brick wall firmly in place.  The Arkansas Razorbacks football program has been crashing into it at a high rate of speed for about the last three years.  I'm very much in hopes that we will witness the dismantling of that wall in very short order.

Like the bride told her husband on their first anniversary; - - - "I vowed to love you for "better or for worse".  I've seen plenty of the "worse" so far; - - - I sure would like to experience some of that "BETTER" part for a change"!

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 07:49:04 pm »

We need a bigger wall than just Arkansas.  We need to loop it around Tulsa down to Dallas, across East Texas, around Louisiana and up to Memphis.

Has we all know, getting every recruit out of Arkansas will not get UA out of last place in the West by itself.

We have to be able to get serious numbers out of these other areas.

Maybe we can get Arkansas Education majors to start taking teaching jobs and other grads to go into coaching in these areas.  Kind of a Trojan Hog kind of thing.

You saying we need to recruit several contractors?

Leadbelly

• Senior
  • Don’t ya think someone oughta reckon with him?
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 07:55:55 pm »

QUOTE OF THE CENTURY.. ~ Real Talk
Blessing of the century! Thank you God.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas