• 10,314,041 Posts
• 408,532 Topics
• 23,343 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Morris may fail  (Read 5171 times)

Nashville Fan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Welcome to next year!
Morris may fail
« on: February 11, 2019, 06:28:10 am »

Morris may fail but it won't be from lack of effort. I am impressed with the effort and attention to detail that he shows during recruiting. When/if this rubs off on the rest of the team, it could get fun again. I have decided to at least give him year one as the SEC learning curve.

hawg IQ

Re: Morris may fail
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 07:57:07 am »

Morris may fail but it won't be from lack of effort. I am impressed with the effort and attention to detail that he shows during recruiting. When/if this rubs off on the rest of the team, it could get fun again. I have decided to at least give him year one as the SEC learning curve.
the problem we had last fall was the dynamics kept changing each week. It would be the o-line, the qbs, then line backers or the secondary? And special teams were horrible whole season ( excluding FG-pats).  If he can get consistent play each game, we got a shot to improve quite a bit.  We won two games, should’ve been at least four last fall. We’ll see I guess.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Tweeter

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 08:32:00 am »

Man we got to give Morris at least 3 years to right the ship.  Great recruiter but dude needs at least 3 before we judge.  I think he will get it done here.

Deerhunter

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 08:49:06 am »

I think we should see improvement this year.  If not I’ll get worried. 

Grizzlyfan

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 08:49:55 am »

It will also depend on the definition of success or failure.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 09:05:28 am »

The problem we have here is fans not even willing to give a Coach a chance.  If you look or just go by what you read on Hogville comments, which is a bad judge of character, then half of the fans were willing to fire Morris midway through last season and thought he'd be fired after last season, lol.  CCM will get his 4 years here, I hope he rights the ship, this coming season will not be the win-or-bust season that many think it has to be though.  If CCM wins 5 games this coming year then that's progress in the right direction and with another seasoning under these young pups just brought in, years 3 will be the year I expect to see a jump in overall progress, I'd say 8 wins would be a sign of good things to come in the future.

Hogmatic

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 09:08:15 am »

Man we got to give Morris at least 3 years to right the ship.  Great recruiter but dude needs at least 3 before we judge.  I think he will get it done here.

We gave Anderson 8 years.

hawg IQ

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 09:10:18 am »

It will also depend on the definition of success or failure.
I think difinition of success will be easy to see. Failure is more difficult, it’s like a chip in windshield that slowly becomes a crack all way across. Success will show in enthusiasm and of  course wins and losses.

Hogeyeblind

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 09:17:53 am »

I hope he's the guy.  Still believe there was enough talent last year to win 7 games and that scares me.  Stack some classes and we will see.

exit followed by a boar

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 09:22:16 am »

He may fail. He may not. I DO see a lot of good signs.  The one bad sign that keeps coming back to me is that last year's schedule was one of the worst if not the worst we've played. And we still only won two games. And remember, this year's schedule is not any better. Since we get CSU at home, you could even argue it's easier than last year's.

EFBAB

East TN HAWG

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 09:24:35 am »

The answer is somewhere in the middle.  No doubt, that CCM may go down as the greatest recruiter in Razorback history.  There is no doubt, in my mind, that he is probably one of the hardest working coaches, we've had.  He also seems like a man of integrity.  All of these things I really, really like.

He also made a lot of mistakes on the field last year that he must over come in year two.  He did not decide on a QB; therefore, we did not have one ready.  I believe we only had a real offensive game plan for one game, Bama.  Most of the problems with the offense rests on the shoulders of Joe Craddock.  I just don't think he is ready for the SEC.  CCM hired him, and put all his faith in him.  I hope it pays off for Morris.

I don't think we were a bowl team last year, but we were not a 2-10 team either.  We did not play an out of conference P5 team last year.  It was our weakest schedule overall in years, and we still had one of the worst seasons in our school's history.   

CCM is digging himself out of a talent hole, but he has to improve the on field performance of the team.  My grades for him are A for recruiting, but a C- to D+ for on-field performance.                 

FullTiltBoogie416

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 09:26:19 am »

The problem we have here is fans not even willing to give a Coach a chance.  If you look or just go by what you read on Hogville comments, which is a bad judge of character, then half of the fans were willing to fire Morris midway through last season and thought he'd be fired after last season, lol.  CCM will get his 4 years here, I hope he rights the ship, this coming season will not be the win-or-bust season that many think it has to be though.  If CCM wins 5 games this coming year then that's progress in the right direction and with another seasoning under these young pups just brought in, years 3 will be the year I expect to see a jump in overall progress, I'd say 8 wins would be a sign of good things to come in the future.

Think you're spot on here.  I'd say our floor this year is 4-8 (we won't lose a non-con game this year barring catastrophic injuries) but I think we can pull out one SEC dub.  Year 3 could be the "defining year" as he'll have 2 full recruiting classes under his belt and should have the system and culture fully in place.  Game 1 in 2020 against Notre Dame could be a good gauge on where we're at as a program for year 3.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 09:26:48 am »

We gave Anderson 8 years.

And he'll get another year as well. 

Pudgepork

• Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 09:35:54 am »

I hope he's the guy.  Still believe there was enough talent last year to win 7 games and that scares me.  Stack some classes and we will see.
I

Talent maybe.  Speed no.  I've heard Hogs coaches say many times this team needs speed. Reading other schools message boards I've seen many mentions of how slow Arkansas looked.  I saw where a national recruiting guy said the difference with this staff is they recruit speed whereas beliema didnt.

Speed is needed to make this O work and it is very important for an SEC defense.  Speed is being added with each class.  1 more and this team should be very competitive

Seebs

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 09:35:54 am »

The sound you hear is CCM breathing a sigh of relief that Nashville Fan has decided to allow him another year.  Your graciousness knows no bounds.

“The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.”- Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince

Also - The self-importance of one's opinion can never be understated - Huggy Bear

HogJowler

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 09:39:12 am »

The answer is somewhere in the middle.  No doubt, that CCM may go down as the greatest recruiter in Razorback history.  There is no doubt, in my mind, that he is probably one of the hardest working coaches, we've had.  He also seems like a man of integrity.  All of these things I really, really like.

He also made a lot of mistakes on the field last year that he must over come in year two.  He did not decide on a QB; therefore, we did not have one ready.  I believe we only had a real offensive game plan for one game, Bama.  Most of the problems with the offense rests on the shoulders of Joe Craddock.  I just don't think he is ready for the SEC.  CCM hired him, and put all his faith in him.  I hope it pays off for Morris.

I don't think we were a bowl team last year, but we were not a 2-10 team either.  We did not play an out of conference P5 team last year.  It was our weakest schedule overall in years, and we still had one of the worst seasons in our school's history.   

CCM is digging himself out of a talent hole, but he has to improve the on field performance of the team.  My grades for him are A for recruiting, but a C- to D+ for on-field performance.                 

With the talent we had do you think we could have had a QB "ready" to play even if CCM had picked one the day he walked on campus?  It would not have given us any more talent at QB, would not have shored up the OL, would not have improved our defense and would not have satisfied Hogville. 

Most of you would have spent the year crying for the guy that didn't get picked, complaining about CM showing favoritism and the new coach being in over his head and not knowing what he is doing etc etc.

Some of you will never be happy so I suggest that you just go on wallowing in your miserable lives. 

CCM will get four years.  I believe things will improve.  Just think how good a class this staff could recruit if the fans actually got behind them.  If I was an elite recruit the whining that goes on on this website would certainly not make me want to be a Hog

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 09:41:52 am »

With the talent we had do you think we could have had a QB "ready" to play even if CCM had picked one the day he walked on campus?  It would not have given us any more talent at QB, would not have shored up the OL, would not have improved our defense and would not have satisfied Hogville. 

Most of you would have spent the year crying for the guy that didn't get picked, complaining about CM showing favoritism and the new coach being in over his head and not knowing what he is doing etc etc.

Some of you will never be happy so I suggest that you just go on wallowing in your miserable lives. 

CCM will get four years.  I believe things will improve.  Just think how good a class this staff could recruit if the fans actually got behind them.  If I was an elite recruit the whining that goes on on this website would certainly not make me want to be a Hog
Yes, I think if either Storey or Kelly would have been more prepared, we beat CSU.  We might have beaten N Texas well.  I simply do not believe that CSU and N TX had more talent than AR. 

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 09:58:46 am »

Yes, I think if either Storey or Kelly would have been more prepared, we beat CSU.  We might have beaten N Texas well.  I simply do not believe that CSU and N TX had more talent than AR. 

Amen... still mind boggling that Morris was given a pass by so many for last year for player buy-in, baffling play calling at times, and not having a game plan that one of the relatively talented QB's on campus could execute.  Yes, Bert left him a stinky pile of Hog do-do to clean up before we could be competitive in the SEC.  He had a short recruiting window with early signing timing around his hire.  Why he was given a pass for getting players on the field who actually bought into what he was selling is beyond me. 

Having said that, he showed pure genius in selling this incoming class on coming to the hill and talent can mask coaching growing pains/decisions.  He has his QB on campus now with an upperclassman who ran his offense, so that excuse is off the table.  We have all seen the stripped down, gray sweats w/ black sharpie names to rebuild the team... not sure why that wasn't done last year, but at least it's being done now.  We still have holes that don't have easy fixes, but we have enough talent to break even this year... so "fail" for me is anything under 6 wins. 

Deerhunter

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 10:01:28 am »

I simply do not believe that CSU and N TX had more talent than AR.

I agree.

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 10:37:06 am »

Amen... still mind boggling that Morris was given a pass by so many for last year for player buy-in, baffling play calling at times, and not having a game plan that one of the relatively talented QB's on campus could execute.  Yes, Bert left him a stinky pile of Hog do-do to clean up before we could be competitive in the SEC.  He had a short recruiting window with early signing timing around his hire.  Why he was given a pass for getting players on the field who actually bought into what he was selling is beyond me. 

Having said that, he showed pure genius in selling this incoming class on coming to the hill and talent can mask coaching growing pains/decisions.  He has his QB on campus now with an upperclassman who ran his offense, so that excuse is off the table.  We have all seen the stripped down, gray sweats w/ black sharpie names to rebuild the team... not sure why that wasn't done last year, but at least it's being done now.  We still have holes that don't have easy fixes, but we have enough talent to break even this year... so "fail" for me is anything under 6 wins. 
I am on the exact same page as you.  I want to give him credit for all the good things he's done, but at the same time I want to hold him accountable for on-the-field performance.  I think in the end, he's going may be okay. 

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 10:46:54 am »

You will give him a year or what? The team he inherited was the worst in Razorback history. I'm not being overly critical of the players because I don't think the majority were SEC caliber. It will take three years minimum for this years recruits to reach junior or red shirt status. I think it will take 4-5 years if Coach Morris is able to continue recruiting at this years level. It's hard to believe as good as this class is we have not advanced on the competition's recruiting level. Tenth in the SEC.

Athog

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 10:47:13 am »

At least! You are right! People will always want immediate results but improvement yes but time to get it competing to win every game. The next question people will ask for the definition of success!!

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 10:48:09 am »

Correct, they did not.  Not on the playing field anyway.

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 10:55:01 am »

I believe Coach Morris wanted to win more games last year but not at the expense of building and teaching his program. To take last years team and basically run Bielema's offense would only delay the rebuild.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 11:19:00 am »

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 11:27:10 am »

The majority of the players on CSU & N. Texas teams had been playing with each other more than spring & fall practices and had established a continuity.

A 2Star with 3yrs experience with teamates has a 50/50 chance of defeating a team of 4 Stars still learning the schemes.

It's most likely a different outcome in say week 8.

WoePigSooie

• Senior
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 11:27:27 am »

And then another, most likely......

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 11:30:02 am »

Darren DeLoach (semohawg)

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 11:32:04 am »

I agree.

I was at the game...NT was waaaaaay faster. More athletic. Just better. You guy's are way off base.

Our QB's gave their all. They were gamers, but neither of the upperclassmen could lead a team consistently due to physical holes in their game.

We will be borderline bowl eligible this year, but I lean toward a sub-.500 year. Year three will be a nice leap into bowl season, with year 4 being a chance to finish in the upper reaches of our conference.

Last year, it was 4 wins IF things went perfectly. They did not.

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 11:52:19 am »

I was at the game...NT was waaaaaay faster. More athletic. Just better. You guy's are way off base.

They knew where to go and what to do.   They weren't more athletic or faster. 

hawginbigd1

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 11:54:02 am »

The majority of the players on CSU & N. Texas teams had been playing with each other more than spring & fall practices and had established a continuity.

A 2Star with 3yrs experience with teamates has a 50/50 chance of defeating a team of 4 Stars still learning the schemes.

It's most likely a different outcome in say week 8.
Except CSU was the least experienced team in the country, so that doesn't really hold up with them.

Sweet Feet

• Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 01:36:17 pm »

Judging by the recruiting and overall depth of the SEC, may need more than 1 year to turn it around. The SEC west is the most talented division in all of football and Arkansas is right at the bottom. Needs time

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 01:57:29 pm »

I agree.

A lot of that can be attributed to many on the team not buying in though.  We've all heard how there was division on the team, half-assery on the field we saw with our own eyes during games, especially with the el-matador defense by some players that I will not mention.  If all of that has been fixed with transfers, moving on to the,,, CFL, AFL, then great.  These things should help this team with the arrival of incoming freshmen get started on a path of getting this team pointed in the right direction.  I don't think we win much this year, if we somehow win 6 games, I think that will be a huge accomplishment.  Toward the end of this season, if we can keep free of injuries, I think this team will start giving people notice.

hawg IQ

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 02:04:43 pm »

Except CSU was the least experienced team in the country, so that doesn't really hold up with them.
the problem with CCM last year was he seemed indecisive at times. I think many of us knew Cole Kelly would not be able to lead this team last fall. Also when he saw folks not giving their best effort, he either ignored or show little response. He made a headline that their efforts was “unacceptable “ then did nothing.  The spring practice last year was horrendous. That team did have potential to win 5-6 games , but never came together, why ? If he can create a way to get them to wanna go perform as team , he can build something here, if not recruiting won’t matter.

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 02:10:37 pm »

I agree with the recruiting...he is killing it.  I am not sure he has the coaches he needs.  He looked overwhelmed this year.  That doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.....if he doesn't go bowling this year.  I am afraid Fville will be a ghost town on Saturday Afternoons.

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 02:21:09 pm »

I agree with the recruiting...he is killing it.  I am not sure he has the coaches he needs.  He looked overwhelmed this year.  That doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.....if he doesn't go bowling this year.  I am afraid Fville will be a ghost town on Saturday Afternoons.

It depends....if the Offense is putting up video game numbers against weaker OOC opponents but are being outscored in a high scoring contest against the ranked one's (see SMU vs TCU) then the teams potential will keep the attention of the fanbase.

Deerhunter

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2019, 02:41:59 pm »

A lot of that can be attributed to many on the team not buying in though.  We've all heard how there was division on the team, half-assery on the field we saw with our own eyes during games, especially with the el-matador defense by some players that I will not mention. 

I also agree with this.  Even though we had more talent our players just did not buy in.  Plus I think coaching in those games was questionable.  That’s what CM has to fix.  Gotta be a leader these guys want to follow.

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2019, 03:07:03 pm »

I wrote this post (link below) just a couple of hours after we lost to Colorado State last fall.  I know saying this will rub some people the wrong way, but it resonated with common sense then and it still does.

This explains why I'm very, very satisfied and completely good with where we are, today (Given where we were when Bielema left).  OF COURSE, I'd prefer to win a Championship THIS season.  But a realistic, long-term perspective is what is needed right now.  The fact that I/we are impatient and starved for some success does not change what is required to get us from what Morris inherited to where we want to be.

http://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=667517.0

Here are a couple of excerpts (from many similar takes):

"If we win 2 or 5 games, it matters little to me. What does matter is that we improve, find out who are dependable players are, and get everyone fully indoctrinated with the playbook for next season. I'd hope to see more of the freshmen QB's, for one example. I'm of the opinion that our starting QB next season will be neither Storey nor Kelly. It will be one of the 3 freshmen on the team now - or a QB coming in with this upcoming recruiting class. So play all of the freshmen in live situations now, and see who steps forward."

"I am not down on this coaching staff. At least, not at this time. I'll give them all of this year and toward the end of next year before I even really start to evaluate them as on the field coaches. Right now, we are seeing what happens when a new coaching staff inherits mediocre talent (relative to the conference they are in) and installs a totally different offensive and defensive scheme. These kinds of results are predictable in year 1.

Hawg Life

• Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 03:19:57 pm »

He will. He shouldn’t in my opinion.

wachhog

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2019, 03:28:33 pm »

the problem with CCM last year was he seemed indecisive at times. I think many of us knew Cole Kelly would not be able to lead this team last fall. Also when he saw folks not giving their best effort, he either ignored or show little response. He made a headline that their efforts was “unacceptable “ then did nothing.  The spring practice last year was horrendous. That team did have potential to win 5-6 games , but never came together, why ? If he can create a way to get them to wanna go perform as team , he can build something here, if not recruiting won’t matter.
Why didn’t they come together?
If you were a teenager and the coach who recruited you and coached you for a year or more had basically laughed at the brand of football your new coach represented, would you buy in? Few here seem willing to admit that Bielema’s loud, brash mouth did a lot of damage. If he said what he did on TV,  imagine what he must have said in the locker room or in the living rooms of recruits. The man did a disservice not just to Arkansas football but  to a lot of kids.

HogJowler

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2019, 04:21:56 pm »

Maybe just more effort

TXHog30

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2019, 04:35:59 pm »

Some of the coaching decisions last season were puzzling, and concerning.

Recruiting and the vision they have for what they need to perform seems amazing. Speed in the secondary, size/athleticism with the receivers, studs on the d-line.

But Colorado State and UNT absolutely cannot happen again. UNT was a morale/attitude problem. CSU was poor coaching.

Hoping he has learned from those blunders and can move forward. I love what he's doing roster wise, but I just haven't had any "aha" moments like we had with Petrino as far as coaching acumen.

FANONTHEHILL

• Go Hogs!
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2019, 04:48:58 pm »

Why didn’t they come together?
If you were a teenager and the coach who recruited you and coached you for a year or more had basically laughed at the brand of football your new coach represented, would you buy in? Few here seem willing to admit that Bielema’s loud, brash mouth did a lot of damage. If he said what he did on TV,  imagine what he must have said in the locker room or in the living rooms of recruits. The man did a disservice not just to Arkansas football but  to a lot of kids.
Sorry, but I think you’re way off base.  Bielema has his faults, mainly the fact that he didn’t win enough games with his staff.  That’s the business of college football.  It didn’t work out, so he and his staff were fired.  But don’t think for a minute that he did damage to the kids psyche in the locker room or the recruits living rooms.  He treated them like adults. Some bought in and some took advantage of it and went on cruise control and didn’t give full effort.

On December 6, 2018, the roster became Chad Morris’. Coach Morris and he had 9 months to get the team on the same page and didn’t.  Is that Morris’ fault or the player’s?  I think the answer is both and anything Bielema said in the locker room has nothing to do with it.

Hoggish

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2019, 05:26:43 pm »

As I've said before, Chad Morris cannot fail!  Because if he does, I don't see how Razorback football recovers for years to come.  He should be given ample time to build and then build some more if necessary!

rinds

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2019, 05:35:22 pm »

Pass? no, just his goals where not the same as yours. His goal was to get his program implemented and find out who could do that. Not win 6 games running CBB system.

Sivad

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2019, 06:03:55 pm »

50 year old Chad Morris with his weak career resume of losing records at SMU and Arkansas but full to the brim with clever slogans and gimmicks is what we got when the cabal in charge of the Razorback football program got completely fooled in to thinking they had Gus Malzahn all but signed up to come here. And then when reality hit, they were stunned and floundered in to Chad Morris (2-10).

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2019, 06:05:05 pm »

50 year old Chad Morris with his weak career resume of losing records at SMU and Arkansas but full to the brim with clever slogans and gimmicks is what we got when the cabal in charge of the Razorback football program got completely fooled in to thinking they had Gus Malzahn all but signed up to come here. And then when reality hit, they were stunned and floundered in to Chad Morris (2-10).

How many times have you posted almost the exact same thing?

Anything insightful or thought-provoking to bring to this board, or just the same regurgitated word vomit day in day out?

Sivad

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2019, 06:07:57 pm »

How many times have you posted almost the exact same thing?

Anything insightful or thought-provoking to bring to this board, or just the same regurgitated word vomit day in day out?
Impressive defense there Ego.
That’s what I call “Putting the Hammer Down” LOL

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2019, 06:16:43 pm »

Impressive defense there Ego.
That’s what I call “Putting the Hammer Down” LOL

Well, that answers my questions.

Darren DeLoach (semohawg)

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2019, 07:13:24 pm »

Fifty-year-old and mid career head coaches should never appear overwhelmed.  Even if you're getting drilled, bearing matters.  At this point, what we've seen we've got.  Leadership generates "buy in."  When there is none, you get last year.

Morris fiddles while CSU lays waste to our home field?

I would call this statement moronic but that would be mean...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas