• 10,303,180 Posts
• 408,294 Topics
• 23,335 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why hasn't Arkansas scheduled both the main Oklahoma teams in a while?  (Read 2375 times)

Sweet Feet

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

With the proximity much closer as Non-conf opponents, i'm baffled as to why Arkansas hasn't scheduled Oklahoma or Oklahoma State as often. Tulsa usually makes the schedule. I think it would be good to play those two schools. Could help with recruiting in that area.

010HogFan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I Got Dat Wood Coach
Re: Why hasn't Arkansas scheduled both the main Oklahoma teams in a while?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 04:50:49 pm »

We just scheduled Oklahoma State a couple months ago. For 2024/2027.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 04:53:05 pm »

Neither are light opponents and itís not like we need to make our schedule harder. Texas is where we are seeking recruits so it makes sense to concentrate there.

HogJowler

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 05:02:38 pm »

OU is afraid to play us

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 05:04:32 pm »

OU is afraid to play us
Thatís the answer Iím runniní with! 8)

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 05:08:59 pm »

Neither are light opponents and itís not like we need to make our schedule harder. Texas is where we are seeking recruits so it makes sense to concentrate there.

Agree. Not into making our schedule any harder than it already is.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 05:29:07 pm »

In regular season games Arkansas played Oklahoma in:

They've played three times in the post season

FBREW000

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 05:49:41 pm »

We have sucked enough that we haven't needed to in the past several years.

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 06:10:56 pm »

We lose enough in conference and to teams like ulm, Toledo, Colorado st and north Texas out of conference.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 06:23:32 pm »

it's true. we've tried to do a home-n-home and they wont do it,.

jvanhorn

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 02:04:07 am »

As far back as I can remember, a long way, lol, we have never played Oklahoma unless it was in a bowl game, same way we do Texas now.  If we plan to start recruiting Tulsa harder, and we should with Jenks and Owasso actually closer to Fayetteville than Norman, then playing Tulsa would actually make a lot of sense.

redeye

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 02:40:14 am »

We stopped playing OU when they left the SWC for the Big 8.  I think we've tried to schedule regular season games with OU, but they used to play Texas OOC every year, so they weren't interested in scheduling another touch OOC game.

I know there's a story on why we quit playing Okie State, but I don't remember it.  Okie State was also in the SWC and I guess they were interested in playing us, at least for a while.

hog1984

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 05:57:31 am »

We stopped playing OU when they left the SWC for the Big 8.  I think we've tried to schedule regular season games with OU, but they used to play Texas OOC every year, so they weren't interested in scheduling another touch OOC game.

I know there's a story on why we quit playing Okie State, but I don't remember it.  Okie State was also in the SWC and I guess they were interested in playing us, at least for a while.

Wasn't there an issue with scheduling home and home? If I remember, Ok St required it and Frank did not want home and home. For many years it was not home and home.

LZH

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 06:58:41 am »

Wasn't there an issue with scheduling home and home? If I remember, Ok St required it and Frank did not want home and home. For many years it was not home and home.

I donít remember playing in Stillwater as long as Iíve been into Razorback football - that goes back to the mid 70ís.

King Kong

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 08:01:06 am »

Long tried to Schedule OU in TX. They declined

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 08:15:29 am »

I donít remember playing in Stillwater as long as Iíve been into Razorback football - that goes back to the mid 70ís.

We played them I believe every year in the 70s. Not sure if it was home and home evey year.

ricepig

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 08:16:54 am »

We last played in Stillwater in 75 and 78.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 08:30:26 am »

OU is afraid to play us

Howl yes!  Run with it, Jo....;)

LZH

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 08:41:10 am »

I remember a LR game or maybe two, but guess I didn't know about the away games.  I saw OSU in those days as a little brother to OU....kinda like ASU is to the Hogs.

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
  • We Played Like A Wild Band of Razorbacks!
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 08:46:55 am »

I don't think we've played OU in the regular season since the Great Depression. We played them regularly pre-SWC and a few times after they left the SWC, but since then only in Bowl games. I think with OSU we've traditionally only played them at home, almost exclusively. I don't mind a home-away with them on occasion but wouldn't want to play them every year. I'd like to see OU on the schedule. That could be a great rivalry for us if played regularly.

ricepig

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 09:17:40 am »

I remember a LR game or maybe two, but guess I didn't know about the away games.  I saw OSU in those days as a little brother to OU....kinda like ASU is to the Hogs.
I remember going over to Stillwater in 78 as a student, not much else about the trip.

hoggusamoungus

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 09:31:46 am »

We played them I believe every year in the 70s. Not sure if it was home and home evey year.

Separated by only about a three-hour drive, Oklahoma State and Arkansas have met 46 times through the years, but haven't squared off since 1980. Both were members of the Southwest Conference from 1915-24, before OSU moved on to the Missouri Valley Conference.

The series lived on, however, as the two schools met as non-conference opponents 38 times in the next 56 years - including every season from 1962-80 - before the series came to a halt.

The Razorbacks own a 30-15-1 all-time advantage over the Cowboys, but it should be noted that 32 of the 46 meetings were played on Arkansas' home turf. The nine matchups played in Stillwater produced a 4-4-1 dead heat and OSU owns a 3-2-1 advantage over the Hogs on neutral soil.

LZH

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 10:02:32 am »

I remember going over to Stillwater in 78 as a student, not much else about the trip.

Stayed there on the way to Colorado about 30 years ago.  Looked like El Dorado, Arkansas to me.....not bad, but not much, either.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 10:41:21 am »

I don't think we've played OU in the regular season since the Great Depression. We played them regularly pre-SWC and a few times after they left the SWC, but since then only in Bowl games. I think with OSU we've traditionally only played them at home, almost exclusively. I don't mind a home-away with them on occasion but wouldn't want to play them every year. I'd like to see OU on the schedule. That could be a great rivalry for us if played regularly.

No, we played them more recently than that though most of the games by far, were played in Little Rock. Here is the full record vs. Okla State since 1912.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/opp-opp.pl?start=1869&end=2018&team1=Arkansas&team2=OklahomaState

We played them almost every year from 1943-1980 with the exceptions being six seasons that included 1947-1949, 1954. 1958 and 1961.

It was a great regional series and now, I'd like to see it added as an annual OOC game to be played in Fayetteville and Stillwater. It would be a great game that would provide great interest and attendance as an OOC game and the commutes for both schools fan bases would be an easy one by following 412. Just a little less than 3 hours basically. Want to stay in Tulsa overnight when it is played in Stillwater and enjoy the night life? It's an easy 1 hour drive into Stillwater the next morning for tailgating.

I'd love to see this scheduled again as a regular series. I'm not a Stillwater fan, but I like the series.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 01:27:45 pm »

IIRC, the sticking point was Broyles wanted 2 out of every three games played in AR. They refused and I can't say I blame them. If you consider your program to be big time or aspire to that, home and home is the only way to fly.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 08:32:27 pm »

Stayed there on the way to Colorado about 30 years ago.  Looked like El Dorado, Arkansas to me.....not bad, but not much, either.

You must not have went to Eskimo Joeís. They have some really nice looking customers.

jvanhorn

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 08:54:14 pm »

Guess you didn't go to Eskimo Joe's, lol

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2019, 10:48:42 pm »

Probably need to first figure out how to win against ULM, Toledo, Colorado State, and North Texas.

Those type of above 4 teams seem to be making our non-conference schedule tough enough already.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2019, 11:04:03 pm »

Probably need to first figure out how to win against ULM, Toledo, Colorado State, and North Texas.

Those type of above 4 teams seem to be making our non-conference schedule tough enough already.

If we could only borrow those steroids that helped Clemson.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2019, 11:09:44 pm »

If we could only borrow those steroids that helped Clemson.

Their 3 players who tested positive did not play in the Playoff.  They destroyed Notre Dame and Alabama without those 3 players.

Only Dexter Lawrence was a starter.  Assume Dexter Lawrence had not played all season long, they still would have probably made it to the Playoff.

Hawgphat

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2019, 11:19:48 pm »

In essence, I believe that The Powers That Be consider the economic ramifications of any proposed schedule matchmaking, first and foremost.  I THINK (I don't KNOW) that the schedulers consider the totality of the potential pluses and minuses of such proposed match-ups, - - - and are not eager to take a significantly high risk of showering embarrassment upon the Razorbacks via heavily-lopsided contests which would not serve our best interests in the long run, - - and within the context of "The Big Picture.      :-\

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 05:22:03 am »

In essence, I believe that The Powers That Be consider the economic ramifications of any proposed schedule matchmaking, first and foremost.  I THINK (I don't KNOW) that the schedulers consider the totality of the potential pluses and minuses of such proposed match-ups, - - - and are not eager to take a significantly high risk of showering embarrassment upon the Razorbacks via heavily-lopsided contests which would not serve our best interests in the long run, - - and within the context of "The Big Picture.      :-\

You do realize that these schedules (usually) are put together years in advance and that no one can predict what kind of team you are going to have once you get to that game. You may remember that they scheduled Michigan and now have Notre Dame on the schedule. You comparing Oklahoma State to either of those two?

jgphillips3

• Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 08:18:46 am »

You do realize that these schedules (usually) are put together years in advance and that no one can predict what kind of team you are going to have once you get to that game. You may remember that they scheduled Michigan and now have Notre Dame on the schedule. You comparing Oklahoma State to either of those two?

Yeah.  We usually do something genius like scheduling USC when they are 6-5 but wind up playing their team of destiny.  We got lucky getting out of Michigan this past year.  Hopefully weíll improve before Notre Dame in 2020. 

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 09:12:30 am »

No, we played them more recently than that though most of the games by far, were played in Little Rock. Here is the full record vs. Okla State since 1912.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/opp-opp.pl?start=1869&end=2018&team1=Arkansas&team2=OklahomaState

We played them almost every year from 1943-1980 with the exceptions being six seasons that included 1947-1949, 1954. 1958 and 1961.

It was a great regional series and now, I'd like to see it added as an annual OOC game to be played in Fayetteville and Stillwater. It would be a great game that would provide great interest and attendance as an OOC game and the commutes for both schools fan bases would be an easy one by following 412. Just a little less than 3 hours basically. Want to stay in Tulsa overnight when it is played in Stillwater and enjoy the night life? It's an easy 1 hour drive into Stillwater the next morning for tailgating.

I'd love to see this scheduled again as a regular series. I'm not a Stillwater fan, but I like the series.

I think you mis-read my post (or I wasn't very clear when I wrote it). We haven't played OU in the regular season in nearly a century. We've played OSU more than all of the SEC but A&M, Ole Miss and LSU, but we've by far played most of those as home games in Little Rock.

ricepig

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 09:57:43 am »

Guess you didn't go to Eskimo Joe's, lol
Guess we did......

Smithian

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 10:04:05 am »

As someone said, our conference schedule is tough enough that we do not need to add premiere non-conference games just for the sake of attention. The games would be a fun, they just don't make sense.

Kids in Oklahoma are a short drive from Fayetteville. As a results, Hogs do well recruiting in Tulsa and OKC plus the suburbs. We make our hay down in Texas and that is why the A&M series was a smart idea before the ended up in the SEC. TCU and Texas Tech are more valuable games than Oklahoma.

If we schedule big time non-conference games outside Texas, I want it to be new and different like Michigan or Notre Dame. USC was also smart before they hit their high point during our low point under Nutt.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2019, 05:24:06 pm »

I think you mis-read my post (or I wasn't very clear when I wrote it). We haven't played OU in the regular season in nearly a century. We've played OSU more than all of the SEC but A&M, Ole Miss and LSU, but we've by far played most of those as home games in Little Rock.

You are right. My bad. Now that I have re-read, I'll say this. I don't think that OU would ever be a great series for us on a regular basis. At least not a memorable one. It certainly wouldn't be for us or them unless we started winning every other game that we played them. For OU they are consumed for the most part each season by beating 1) Texas and 2) Oklahoma State and to a lesser degree (now that Stoops is gone) 3) K-State.

Now Oklahoma State also hates Texas and of course OU, so those games are their first real focus each year and for some reason, they also seem to harbor hatred for Baylor.

We have a built-in history of playing Oklahoma State and annual games would revive that pretty quickly. Personally I just believe that game would be better for us than an annual OU-Arkansas match-up, but that's JMO.

elksnort

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2019, 05:56:56 pm »

If North Texas State whips you at your home stadium, why would you want to schedule OSU or OU?

Arkiebarkie

• Varsity
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2019, 09:55:06 am »

With the proximity much closer as Non-conf opponents, i'm baffled as to why Arkansas hasn't scheduled Oklahoma or Oklahoma State as often. Tulsa usually makes the schedule. I think it would be good to play those two schools. Could help with recruiting in that area.

Could it be we can't even beat Colorado State or North Texas? I would think the SEC is where we need to improve. We play top 10 teams all year, we still need more players just to hang in any SEC game.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2019, 11:12:08 am »

We should schedule a perennial contender from each P5 conference each year, in addition to our cupcake SEC schedule!  We deserve the best ass whoopins and only the best!   >:(

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2019, 11:50:30 am »

We should schedule a perennial contender from each P5 conference each year, in addition to our cupcake SEC schedule!  We deserve the best ass whoopins and only the best!   >:(

To be the best you gotta beat the best!

That's what Hogville tells me, anyway.

Oklahoma, Clemson, Ohio State and Washington as our 4 non-confs every year.

We'll be unstoppable  ;D

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2019, 11:52:00 am »

To be the best you gotta beat the best!

That's what Hogville tells me, anyway.

Oklahoma, Clemson, Ohio State and Washington as our 4 non-confs every year.

We'll be unstoppable  ;D
We have no rivals!   8)

Locutus_of_Boar

• Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2019, 11:17:56 pm »

Arkansas's Most Common Opponents

Barring a bowel game with Texas, A&M will become the most played opponent in 2022 with the 80th game in the series.

In six years Ole Miss will crack the top five, in eight years LSU will also crack the top five.

In sixteen years baring bowl games it will be A&M, Ole Miss, LSU 1-2-3 but it will be half a century before MSU and Alabama join them to have the top five as all SEC.

Despite not playing since 1981, Okie Light still ranks 10th.

Despite not meeting in the regular season since 1926, Oklahoma ranks 21st.

HEAD-TO-HEAD RECORDS
Texas 22-56-0
Texas A&M 41-31-3
Tulsa 55-15-3
SMU 37-31-5
TCU 44-24-2
Baylor 35-33-2
Rice 35-29-3
Ole Miss 36-28-1
LSU 22-40-2
Oklahoma State 30-15-1
Texas Tech 29-8-0
Mississippi State 16-12-1
Alabama 8-21-0
Auburn 11-16-1
South Carolina 13-10-0
Drury (MO) 13-5-2
Tennessee 5-13-0
Missouri-Rolla 14-4-0
Houston 12-6-0
Hendrix (AR) 15-0-2
Oklahoma 4-10-1
Georgia 4-10-0
Florida 2-9-0
Vanderbilt 7-3-0
North Texas 9-1-0

LZH

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2019, 06:30:48 am »

Barring a bowel game with Texas

Ha! And so true. Because if we played Texas right now, there would be darn everywhere.

Mo_Better_Hogs

• All-American Hogvillian
  • DE FENSE!! DE FENSE!!
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2019, 08:43:49 am »

HEAD-TO-HEAD RECORDS
Texas 22-56-0
Texas A&M 41-31-3
Tulsa 55-15-3
SMU 37-31-5
TCU 44-24-2
Baylor 35-33-2
Rice 35-29-3
Ole Miss 36-28-1
LSU 22-40-2
Oklahoma State 30-15-1
Texas Tech 29-8-0
Mississippi State 16-12-1
Alabama 8-21-0
Auburn 11-16-1
South Carolina 13-10-0
Drury (MO) 13-5-2
Tennessee 5-13-0
Missouri-Rolla 14-4-0
Houston 12-6-0
Hendrix (AR) 15-0-2
Oklahoma 4-10-1
Georgia 4-10-0
Florida 2-9-0
Vanderbilt 7-3-0
North Texas 9-1-0

Good research. And I gotta add, those 2 ties vs Hendrix still sting.

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2019, 09:21:25 am »

Arkansas's Most Common Opponents

Barring a bowel game with Texas, A&M will become the most played opponent in 2022 with the 80th game in the series.

In six years Ole Miss will crack the top five, in eight years LSU will also crack the top five.

In sixteen years baring bowl games it will be A&M, Ole Miss, LSU 1-2-3 but it will be half a century before MSU and Alabama join them to have the top five as all SEC.

Despite not playing since 1981, Okie Light still ranks 10th.

Despite not meeting in the regular season since 1926, Oklahoma ranks 21st.

HEAD-TO-HEAD RECORDS
Texas 22-56-0
Texas A&M 41-31-3

We do play Texas in 2021, so A&M pulls even with the Horns in 2022 and moves ahead in 2023.

I did a little more analysis on the OU series. We are 3-1 against OU in Fayetteville (including our undefeated season in 1909) and 0-4 in Norman. We have not held our own against them at neutral sites though, our lone win being the Orange Bowl in '78. Of course all but the 3 Bowl Games occurred before 1927 so take that for what you will.

I'm not opposed to playing OSU, but OU draws a national audience to the game. I like a good backyard brawl though. Both are a fun match-up.

Earth Hog Fan

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2019, 10:00:59 am »

We did not have to play a home in home because Okla St was NOT in the SWC.
Okla St got out of the SWC in 1925, Oklahoma got out in 1919, so in reality neither want to play Arkansas.

GO HOGS!

exit followed by a boar

• Senior
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2019, 12:56:40 pm »

I am all for playing both. We will play OSU soon. But perhaps we should focus on beating Rutgers, Toledo, Louisiana Monroe, Colorado State, and North Texas first.

EFBAB

Pigsknuckles

• When you least expect it...
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2019, 03:33:37 pm »

Because it takes two weeks to sweep up the OU hubris following a game.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2019, 05:22:22 am »

Played them in Stillwater 9 times overall with the last time being 1978. We also played them 4 times in Fort Smith and once in Oklahoma City.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas